Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: best of the best, circa 1961

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 11, 2014 2:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Fellow Hideouters,
      I need some tips on cultures/subcultures circa 1961. Music? Film? Scenes? Hidden gems of any kind? I greatly appreciate any input.
      Thank ya much!

• March 13, 2014 7:38 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi.  I think the Beatles and the Stones were formed in 1961.  Elvis released "Little Sister".

• March 14, 2014 12:20 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

'Little Sister" b/w "Marie's The Name (Of His Latest Flame)" , the perfect Rock'n'Roll record , did come out in 1961.   The Stones ARE THOUGHT OF AS HAVING FORMED in 1963 , though their original incarnation , as Little Boy Blue and The Blue Boys , with Dick Taylor of The Pretty Things on Bass , were together as early as 1962.  The Beatles , I think , formed as The Silver Beatles , with Stu Sutcliffe , in 1960 , but , I may be mistaken.

In The UK , Mods were making their presence known (It's believed Mod went back as far as The Late 50's.) , and Teds , no doubt alienated by The Rock'n'Roll of the day (As were Rockers) distanced themselves from current trends.

Elvis performed just two shows , in Memphis and Honolulu in 1961. THE ONE EXISTING RECORDING , THE LATTER GIG , PROVED AN ALL - AROUND TRIUMPH.HE WOULD'NT PERFORM A LIVE CONCERT (BARRING THE 68 COMEBACK TV SPECIAL) AGAIN , UNTIL 1969.

• March 14, 2014 10:12 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oops, sorry!  John is right about the Beatles and the Stones.

BTW, the Wiki has these pages.

1961 in music

1961 in film

• March 14, 2014 8:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

it's OK. i USED TO ALWAYS READ CONFLICTING DATES OF tHE BEATLES' ACTUAL FORMATION ,AS THEY CAME FROM VARIOUS OTHER BANDS....

'61 was really the year of The Twist. I forget if Chubby Checker's big hit version was in '60 or '61 , but Hank Ballard released it about a year earlier. The Twist became the biggest thing in the very early 60's besides the teen idol craze (yecch!). Some good Rock'n'Roll records were made in teh name of teh Twist fad.

• May 12, 2014 2:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

'Little Sister" b/w "Marie's The Name (Of His Latest Flame)" , the perfect Rock'n'Roll record , did come out in 1961.   The Stones ARE THOUGHT OF AS HAVING FORMED in 1963 , though their original incarnation , as Little Boy Blue and The Blue Boys , with Dick Taylor of The Pretty Things on Bass , were together as early as 1962.  The Beatles , I think , formed as The Silver Beatles , with Stu Sutcliffe , in 1960 , but , I may be mistaken.

In The UK , Mods were making their presence known (It's believed Mod went back as far as The Late 50's.) , and Teds , no doubt alienated by The Rock'n'Roll of the day (As were Rockers) distanced themselves from current trends.

Elvis performed just two shows , in Memphis and Honolulu in 1961. THE ONE EXISTING RECORDING , THE LATTER GIG , PROVED AN ALL - AROUND TRIUMPH.HE WOULD'NT PERFORM A LIVE CONCERT (BARRING THE 68 COMEBACK TV SPECIAL) AGAIN , UNTIL 1969.

If I was around in England in the late '50s, I think I would have been an early mod.
    • May 12, 2014 3:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Chris, Ya woulda been an early MOD ?! GET THE BOOT IN !!!!!!       I'm kidding.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel