Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Amazing New York Dolls footage surfaces - 1975

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 15, 2014 4:46 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

http://vimeo.com/88865429#at=0

• March 15, 2014 4:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wow. I wonder if Bob Gruen shot this , but , I've never heard of any color Gruen footage turning up on The Dolls. IF YOU HAVE THAT "ALL DOLLED UP" DVD  , it's kind of anticlimactic seeing the '75 footage after the earlier stuff , BUT , they seemed like they were working hard to reclaim what was theirs.

Personal problems , and Malcolm MacLaren's genius move to re - invent the band as faux - Maoist Rockers , centuries before that did'nt mean career suicide , made it all too clear the commercial success that had eluded them would never be theirs.

Still , they were working on some good material. A Third NYD album could have been a lot more on the PowerPop tip , I ALWAYS THOUGHT , but , might have been a lot better than anyone had a right to expect. 

The "Red Patent Leather" look makes more sense on color film  (Or video? Who even had a video camera in 1975 BESIDES gRUEN AND THE THREE MAJOR NETWORKS ? ha ha.). People say The Romantics lifted from The Dolls' unsuccessful later group image , but , for once  , Jagger looked more like Johansen (1978 "Some Girls " tour.) than the other  way around. I dunno. You do get a feel for how exciting it must have been to see The Dolls in a small club , even though they deserved so much better.

• April 28, 2014 11:44 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Beautiful.  Freaking love the New York Dolls.  If I could play guitar like Johnny Thunders, my life would be complete.

Heavy, high-energy rock n' roll! https://thefatalitiesmusic.bandcamp.com/releases

• April 29, 2014 12:54 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah. For anyone who lives in or near Chicagoland , the new Thunders Documentary opens Saturday , May 3 at the Logan Theatre as part of the CIMM music/film festival. It threatens to be better than "Born To Lose". We will see. MY DUMB ASS AGREED TO PLAY A SHOW TWO HOURS LATE R, BUT, I may still be ableto make it. It's only 2 train stops from teh theatre.      Google CIMM .

• April 29, 2014 11:16 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cool man, I'll check that out.

Heavy, high-energy rock n' roll! https://thefatalitiesmusic.bandcamp.com/releases

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel