Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Searching in Vain for Records?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 22, 2013 2:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

STOKED! JUST BOUGHT A RECORD I'VE BEEN AFTER FOR 32 YEARS.

I was searching on everyone's favourite auction site for any decent records and found this.

The Who : dogs / someone's coming ( Polydor 1968 ) superb.

I never thought I'd find it.

What records if any are you searching in vain for?

This post was edited by køpper at July 30, 2013 10:55 PM CDT
    • June 10, 2013 3:25 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

RIP One Up- I travelled up from Montrose to Aberdeen when I was 16 and spent the wages from my summer job buying up a great haul of rock n roll vinyl from 1-UP. I got the Stooges' No Fun Elektra comp, Kick Out The Jams, New Values, Street Hassle, Legendary Hearts, Stone The Crows, tons of stuff- best ever day's vinyl-hunting! Still scour the second hand places in Glasgow, but it's becoming harder to avoid just hitting the internet. :(

Andy Climax said:

Hi Alex. The nearest record shop to me since the amazing One Up records in Aberdeen closed 3 months ago is 150 miles away. The situation for independant shops in Britain just now is dire and not gona get any better i fear. All the online stuff is the only way i can source stuff now. Nothing will ever beat the feeling of rifling through records and tapes and uncovering a gem or two. Unfortunately a 300 mile round journey is a treat these days rather than essential. Wot an absolute nitemare!!!

Alex said:

Look, I know I could find all of these records on Discogs, eBay, or Gemm pretty easily, but it's so much more rewarding to find them in person!  I was in Chicago last weekend and found M.O.T.O.'s "Turn Your Head and Cough."  It was pretty exciting.  Always love that moment.  Then when you continue to look through records at the store, you hoard it and make sure no one tries to steal it from you.

• June 9, 2013 2:09 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My local record store picked up a massive punk and garage collection last year - apparently the stock of some defunct distributor, because most of the LPs were still sealed.  I was able to find lots of records I'd been wanting for years.  Thumbing through their collection was like being in rock n' roll Candyland.  The photo below represent just Round One of shopping last summer:

• June 2, 2013 5:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No , you can't replace that feeling of going through many , perhaps crappy , records , and finding , as you say , a real gem , or even something you may later come to realize is also a gem , and say , D'OH !!! We are still lucky , here in Chicago , that we still have record stores. When Reckless and Wax Trax were duking it out for vinyl supremacy from about 1989 - 92 , and the smaller stores were still hanging it in , that was the best time , but , even now , we're spoiled , compared to a lot of other MAJOR FUCKING CITIES who should be overwhelmed by the show of support  their record stores are recieving  , only to find , they have no record stores , or damned few. The internet is a greatthing to have, if you don't live near any record stores , or are searching for something rare , but , it's appalling how readily people will turn their backs on their local small businesses.
      Andy Climax said:

Hi Alex. The nearest record shop to me since the amazing One Up records in Aberdeen closed 3 months ago is 150 miles away. The situation for independant shops in Britain just now is dire and not gona get any better i fear. All the online stuff is the only way i can source stuff now. Nothing will ever beat the feeling of rifling through records and tapes and uncovering a gem or two. Unfortunately a 300 mile round journey is a treat these days rather than essential. Wot an absolute nitemare!!!

Alex said:

Look, I know I could find all of these records on Discogs, eBay, or Gemm pretty easily, but it's so much more rewarding to find them in person!  I was in Chicago last weekend and found M.O.T.O.'s "Turn Your Head and Cough."  It was pretty exciting.  Always love that moment.  Then when you continue to look through records at the store, you hoard it and make sure no one tries to steal it from you.

• June 2, 2013 3:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Alex said:

• June 2, 2013 1:42 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I was jonesin' for a copy of "Neil's Heavy Concept Album" by Nigel Planer (As Neil from "The Young Ones".).... had a couple of songs on an old mixtape , and even , to my shock , found the single , (Traffic's )"Hole In My Shoe"b/w "HurdyGirdy Mushroom Man" , at a thrift store. But ,Melissa was good enough to burn me a CD of the album.

• June 1, 2013 7:44 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

• May 28, 2013 2:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Its an amazing feeling when you've heard a song and forgotten it for ages, then totally out of the blue some radio station plays it. Ebay is a great source especially when you find the name of the track or band. Years ago I remember hearing a punk version of 'I Can See Clearly Now' by the wonderful Johnny Nash. Heard it at a local gig and asked an searched for ages. Totally forgot about it. I then heard a programme on 6Music from the BBC. Nicky Wire was asked for his 10 favourite punk covers. Low and behold number 6 was Snuff's version of it. I fuuuuuuckin loves it. £25 it cost me for the pleasure of owning it. Money well spent me'thinks?... Enjoy!

• May 24, 2013 3:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cool. I have'nt seen SLF since , like 1995 , when Bruce Foxton was still in the group. It is'nt personal , I just bought one of their CDs around that time , and was underwhelmed by it. They did'nt do that many old songs when I saw them. But , I heard , later , they were doing a lot more. 

Jake Burns actually lives in Chicago , or , he did , last I heard. He'll appear at charity gigs sometimes , which is very cool. Actually , Stiff Little Fingers did a "Secret" benefit show in a bar that can MAYBE hold 100 people , so , I did'nt go. I can't stand through a lot of bad opening acts in a huge , overly macho and aggressive, crowd , anymore , plus , the chances of getting in were pretty much nil. Still , I applaud them for doing it.

I spoke with Ed , from The Vibrators ,once , and told him Burns , as well as Charlie Harper from The UK Subs , had been living in Chicago. He looked at me like "THAT'S A LIE , about Charlie".  OK , I had'nt seen him around , so I could have been mistaken, but , several people said they'd seen him , and he was staying here. Maybe only part - time.

Mike M said:

I used to live near and hang around with a member of SLF. The Guitarist Ian McCallum. He's a great lad.

• May 23, 2013 5:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I looked for 20+ years for The Prisoners "Thee Last Fourfathers" and "A Taste Of Pink" LPs before finding them for...not TOO much $ on the ebays.  Now I'm just waiting for that copy of "Stormy Weather" by The Five Sharps to fall in my lap!

• May 23, 2013 4:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I used to live near and hang around with a member of SLF. The Guitarist Ian McCallum. He's a great lad.

• May 23, 2013 4:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

M.O.T.O had been around for centuries in Chicago before Paul moved (I forget where. ) . They started out as a two - piece , Paul and a female Drummer , then , a trio , different from the one that's best known , today. They did'nt become real popular in Chicago until they'd been around , it seems , about 10 years. I first saw them in '90 or '91 , if I'm not mistaken. Paul'sa good cat. He used to work at this real grungy record /CD store called Record Emporium. One of the last record stores of it's ilk on the North Side. We're on "The Best of Chic - A - Go Go" CD , together.
       Funny you mention "Inflammable Material " by SLF. I went to a record show , once , and that was the only thing I bought. I was'nt aware Mayo Thompson produced it.
      KK Dirty Money & Las Drogas said:

Ha, that is interesting how MOTO are such underground legends. I didn't know anything about them until my band was asked to play with them at a local little underground venue in my town of Ypsilanti, MI (the same little college town that Iggy Pop is from). 

My band, Las Drogas, played with them at the Dreamland Theater a couple years back. The front man, Paul Caporino) was just touring by himself and putting together backing bands in each town he played. He performed with just a drummer that night (a local guy that was a fan and learned all the tunes before Paul's arrival in town). 

The show was fun and we really enjoyed his humorous tunes. Even the Wikipedia entry on them is kind of interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_of_the_Obvious

Alex said:

Last year, I found "Kill M.O.T.O." by M.O.T.O., which I had been looking for for a long time.  Found it at a great price too.  Still looking for an original "Inflammable Material" by Stiff Little Fingers...

• May 23, 2013 3:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I used to have a massive record collection but 'lost' it all at the end of a relationship. The only piece I haven't found again (on cd, digital, etc) was a Creep Records Compilation called DAD I CAN'T BREATHE. I've spent many years trying to get it back. 

• May 23, 2013 10:53 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ha, that is interesting how MOTO are such underground legends. I didn't know anything about them until my band was asked to play with them at a local little underground venue in my town of Ypsilanti, MI (the same little college town that Iggy Pop is from). 

My band, Las Drogas, played with them at the Dreamland Theater a couple years back. The front man, Paul Caporino) was just touring by himself and putting together backing bands in each town he played. He performed with just a drummer that night (a local guy that was a fan and learned all the tunes before Paul's arrival in town). 

The show was fun and we really enjoyed his humorous tunes. Even the Wikipedia entry on them is kind of interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_of_the_Obvious

Alex said:

Last year, I found "Kill M.O.T.O." by M.O.T.O., which I had been looking for for a long time.  Found it at a great price too.  Still looking for an original "Inflammable Material" by Stiff Little Fingers...

• May 23, 2013 10:21 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

My friend made a movie about looking for a record.

45RPM - Teaser Trailer from Juli Jackson on Vimeo.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is Nervous Gender - Music From Hell. My husband let a friend keep it in high school thinking he'd just pick up another copy soon. I could get it online for $50+ but it's fun to pretend you might see it in real life.

• May 23, 2013 6:19 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

• May 23, 2013 12:52 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

NICE !!!! Whenever  I DO see that record , it's beat to shit.....I was saying , on my page , it took me 31 years to find "Strange Boutique " by The Monochrome Set. It was my favorite song , in High School , I just had it on a tape of Dallas DJ , George Gimarc's , show. But , I was'nt sure who the song was by, tho' I knew a couple of the band's other songs. I even asked Gimarc in person. He said , without a tape , he could'nt determine what song it was. My tape was already BROKE , by then. THE TITLE IS'NT EVEN MENTIONED IN THE SONG , THE (GREAT) CHORUS  GOES "I WANNA BE YOUR DEVIL !". But , I remembered , he mentioned the album ,and I thought he was talking about something else. So , when I found an open copy about a year ago , I asked if I could hear a bit of i t, there it was !

I don't know what I'm looking for ....always something eluding me.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel