Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Any Stuckists in the Hideout?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 19, 2014 9:59 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Stuckism:

Stuckism is an international art movement founded in 1999 by Billy Childish and Charles Thomson to promote figurative painting in opposition to conceptual art. Anti the pretensions of conceptual art. Anti-anti-art. The first Remodernist art group. Daubers (daubing is the new painting).

Read the manifesto: http://www.stuckism.com/stuckistmanifesto.html

Anyone into stuckism? Any stuckists among us? If so, let's see some of your art!

This post was edited by køpper at July 25, 2014 4:03 PM CDT

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• September 14, 2014 5:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think it's another Childish meaningful prank... a damned funny one.  But, as all pranks, he actually means it.  Anybody with tons of time. money and a desperate need for attention on their hands can conjure up a load of crap and bucket term it "conceptual art" because you know, us poor rubes probably just don't get it if we think it's a patchwork quilt of varying degrees and shades of shit.  The attention needed is usually gained because it's in an exhibit hall or gallery. and the public doesn't know the better.....

Example:  Exit Through the Gift Shop (2010), Mr. Brainwash's character.  He "creates" massive amounts of art, i.e., has all the money & time to invest in renting out a huge warehouse and hire tons of actual artists to rip tons of other real artists' styles for the big opening exhibit with only his name tagged on it, aptly called "Mr. Brainwash."  One person could not have produced that much in such little time on his own hand (well unless he's also on meth).... I digress:  Opening night... Voila! He's an artist.  He get's the fame he seeks.  A real artist (indeed I said it) has a passion to create that never goes away, oh yest, you are indeed "born that way", and can only do it yourself.  Much like the attention seeker was "born" with his/her deep abysmal void that never gets filled... 

So Stuckism is saying yes you can explore and take risks ad lib because as an artist you will (ex. Picasso), who eventually became known for Cubism, but ultimately he's a highly skilled figurative artist who can render anything from life by his own hand like the classic figurative artists did before. 

I really dig this, "Against conceptualism, hedonism and the cult of the ego-artist." Damn skippy! There are artists and there are egos (tho' I'd prefer to call them desperate attention seekers rather than ego-artists).  Why? There are plenty of ego maniac actual artists out there.  Ex. Don Van Vliet, (i.e., Captain Beefheart), whose very name "Captain Beefheart" was actually Frank Zappa's concept.  But Don VV made his musicians (as Don VV could only play harmonica & sing) work like dogs under his direction and control, or whatever it is he did, poetically compose?, etc., he created something of lasting value artistically that is truly art.  But from everything I've read and seen he was this miserable control freak that just directed the whole show through intimidation.  The music belongs to the musicians he played with, but there wouldn't be no "Captain Beefheart" if it wasn't for his desire to create it, which in part actually came from him. 

But it's the difference between an artist and fartist-type like Mr. Brainwash (total fucking scam artist attention seeker with no actual talent) that draws the line....

• September 14, 2014 6:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"We further call for the policy of entrapping rich and untalented students from at home and abroad to be halted forthwith."..... dream big, Billy.

• November 30, 2014 7:23 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ever get the feeling most of what Chyldish does is sincere until it builds speed and becomes a joke? I love his work and his legacy and have nuthin' but love for him.

• December 2, 2014 9:02 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Re/Search publications issued this brilliant collection of interviews in the early 2000's.  It includes an entertaining lengthy interview with BC.  Much of the discussion focuses on the Childish theory of art and creativity.  This book also has great interviews with Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Henry Rollins and Jello Biafra.   

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/501491.Real_Conversations_No_1_Henry_Rollins_Jello_Biafra_Lawrence_Ferlinghetti_Billy_Childish_Real_Conversations

• May 24, 2015 7:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Yes, I love stuckism!

When I first got into proper garage punk and started reading about all thing BC it was one thing that fascinated me. Proper art, proper punk. 

More recently the other week Bill Lewis, one of the founding stuckists, came in to my shop and I had a little chat with him. Great guy. He is still Medway through and through and full-time artist. Interestingly he told me how at his first poetry night (back in the 70's i think) a certain Ralph Steadman was watching.

Check out billlewis-art.co.uk

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel