Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Peavey Delta Blues Amps

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 13, 2012 3:04 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Does any anyone use these amps for Surf or Instro-Mental? From what I've heard, the clean sound is great with a little punky edge to it. Has anyone tried both? The 1x15 sounds exciting but it's bottom end might be flabby, like my own...

• September 13, 2012 6:28 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, over the years, I've had many different Peavey products (guitars, amps, etc.). They may not be the most stylish, but they are solid pieces of gear. 

I have had many amps over the years, but for my purposes, the Delta Blues is great. It is just right amount of tube wattage, I love the 15in speaker, and all the controls are plenty to get a variety of tones (for a fraction of the price of a Fender tweed amp). 

I am happy with it. 

I don't have any experience with Valve Kings. 

I guess, as with any gear advice, do some research, go on your hunch, but try it out with your own ears and guitar and go from there. Remember, every amp (even every Delta Blues amp) sounds slightly different. So, plug and chug!

• September 13, 2012 5:51 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

@KK Dirty Money & Las Drogas Thanks a lot, they are even pretty cheap used in the UK. I think Peavey is great bang for buck. Valve kings are great too & even cheaper. A pal of mine has killer clean tone from his with a Burns Hank Marvin guitar.

• September 13, 2012 5:41 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have used a 1x15 for several years, and I personally know others that have used it live for instro, surf, rockabilly, etc. 

They are awesome amps for the money (and you can get them pretty cheap sometimes when used). Plus, they are made in the USA by a reliable brand. 

If you really want to improve the sound (even though they sound good out of the box), different tubes and an upgraded speaker do wonders. 

I don't hear any lack of brightness, or any overabundance of flab, due to the size of the speaker. I really like the way it responds, but that is just me (and probably the type of guitar, style of music, and technique of the guitarist).

• September 13, 2012 4:36 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

make sure you watch to the end...at about 7:30 or so, he switches to a 335 and gets some different sounds out of it...and more bottom...good luck.

• September 13, 2012 4:34 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks Adam, I hadn't found this clip. The bottom end is what gets me, seems if it's has a good top end too it could be a killer instro clean amp despite the blues tag. 

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel