Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Most Authentic Sounding Garage/Beat Band From the Last 30 Years

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 1, 2012 6:54 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Being pretty rooted in the music of the 1960's, I am not a fan of current bands. By this I mean non-related 60's bands, BUT, and it's a BIG BUT, I absolutely love bands that take out time, effort and all the other aspects of being authentic. Some say that this is just copying, although I do heavily disagree. in my opinion they are just passionate about a certain period.

Anyway on with the question. Which bands do you consider to be the most authentic? I will go first.

The Mystreated from Folk-stone appeared from the ashes of The Sheds in 1991. They stormed in to the lives of garage fans with their 10 Boss Cuts LP. A very short L.P with a  convincing sound, that had you believe that a bunch of Herbert's just ran through their best songs as quickly as possible, in fear of running up a huge studio time bill.  That was followed by an impressive output of 45's and LP's that got better and better, and showed a natural progression from mid sixties acne ridden teen angst to an all out laid back dreamy psych approach, with a quick stop off at Folksville (not Folk stone - see what i did there) on the way.

So I have listed 5 good reasons why in my opinion. The Mystreated should be entered in The Garage Punk Hall Of Of Fame For Authenticity.

There's No Escape E.p, You Better run E.p She's Gone E.p, 10 Boss Cuts LP & Looking Right Through LP

• August 21, 2012 6:50 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Agree again we must sing from the same song sheet

The Angry Breed said:

Another band that comes to mind is the Morlocks, who had a pretty authentic 60's garage punk sound on their Emerge album.

• August 21, 2012 5:20 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Another band that comes to mind is the Morlocks, who had a pretty authentic 60's garage punk sound on their Emerge album.

• August 19, 2012 7:17 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You Gotta Go does it for me and had the lp once yeah sound wise they are pretty close mate

The Angry Breed said:

The Wylde Mammoths had a great and really authentic mid 60's teen garage sound.

• August 19, 2012 5:50 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, that version of "Tough Lover" definitely sounds like it could have been recorded in the 50's. Here's another song in the same vein also sounding really authentic by Ray Collins Hot Club whom I got to see live just a month ago at the Hultsfreed Hayride weekender.

• August 17, 2012 4:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Not "beat," per se, but I'd have to say the most authentic band I've heard the past couple of years is Nick Curran and the Lowlifes, hands down.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• August 16, 2012 1:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Wylde Mammoths had a great and really authentic mid 60's teen garage sound.

• August 12, 2012 9:27 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Its very difficult to be absolutely period perfect. The Hi Class Joes are trying to replicate the sound and look of an early British Beat band. We dress the part and also use all vintage equipment. I would have to say that we are probably the best band in Britain at the moment playing that early Beat and RnB sound. We have an lp out soon on Soundflat.

• August 5, 2012 2:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Never practiced , late on . That's pretty funny. But , certainly believable. Of course , Mole was in The Mystreated ...I don't have a lot of their stuff , but , they were definitely on the money.

Fortune and Maltese , too , had to be seen to be truly appreciated , but , I liked that they did their homework , and wrote songs in MANY styles of that era , not just monster gurl put downs and/or NW -ish Frat Rockers , like when Frat parties contained kickass music , not just guys getting their asses kicked. Mike Maltese was living here in Chicago , too , because of his work , but he'd drive to Kalamazoo every weekend (Fuck me , I dunno , Five hours?) to work on songs with Freddie Fortune. That's Kaiser - like dedication. In fact , once The Neanderthals , Kaisers , and Fortune and Maltese played a show together at Fitzgerald's in Berwyn. We probably did take stuff like that for granted in The 90's.

• August 5, 2012 3:27 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I saw The Kaisers lots of times, well every oppurtunity, and yes to see them live had to be seen. Did you know in the last few years of The Kaisers life span they no longer praticed. Thats how good they were, just like The Mystreated stuff I have everything by them fave track must be Dont Go With Him WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Battles said:

The Kaisers could not be touched for what they did , it's true. They made an amusing , though not inaccurate , statement , about their music not being retro or nostalgic , but, rather, antiquated . They were'nt ashamed of the tag , they put it on themselves. BUT , they had to be seen live to be truly appreciated. Those guys worked their balls off , like a real "Beat" band would have. When they came to Chicago the first time , they played three nights , did the same another time , and did FIVE nights in a row, another time. I went to the first three shows , and wanted , badly , to see one of the  other two , but , just could'nt do it.....

There may have been some very good Beat bands at that time that I never saw or heard , but , those guys killed. The only time they did'nt floor me was when they had to follow The Downliners Sect . You talk about authenticity......

• August 4, 2012 3:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Kaisers could not be touched for what they did , it's true. They made an amusing , though not inaccurate , statement , about their music not being retro or nostalgic , but, rather, antiquated . They were'nt ashamed of the tag , they put it on themselves. BUT , they had to be seen live to be truly appreciated. Those guys worked their balls off , like a real "Beat" band would have. When they came to Chicago the first time , they played three nights , did the same another time , and did FIVE nights in a row, another time. I went to the first three shows , and wanted , badly , to see one of the  other two , but , just could'nt do it.....

There may have been some very good Beat bands at that time that I never saw or heard , but , those guys killed. The only time they did'nt floor me was when they had to follow The Downliners Sect . You talk about authenticity......

• August 1, 2012 2:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Fair enough my opinion is based on The Mystreated's output. However another authentic band were The Kaisers, currently I think Paul Messis has picked up where the kids of 66 left off. BTW I do like the Cynics, a band that comes to mind from the same time as The Cynics are The Margins Of Sanity dont know much about them but pretty sure they were one of the few English bands at this time.

MikeL said:

I'll go with the Cynics on this one.  However, keep in mind that my opinion is heavily swayed by the fact that they are from my hometown:)

• August 1, 2012 1:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'll go with the Cynics on this one.  However, keep in mind that my opinion is heavily swayed by the fact that they are from my hometown:)

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel