Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: What's the greatest year of all time for wild rock n' roll?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 27, 2012 4:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

As for great wines, there are better and worse years, some exceptional too.

So, what's your year... and why?

• April 21, 2013 3:40 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Best year for rock'n'roll? Let's list a few candidates, I'd say:

1951: Jackie Branston And His Delta Cats (Ike Turner) playing Rocket 88. Hell, it's the first rock'n'roll record ever?

1966: You mention the very things that made it a great year.

1967: The Velvet Underground release the most seminal album ever, changing everything in the process. Everyone who bought it started a band.

1976: UK/US punk fully crystalises.

1993: Jarvic Cocker upstages Michael Jackson.

Gringo Starr said:

1966!

Revolver - Beatles
      Pet Sounds - Beach Boys
      Blonde on Blonde - Dylan
      Aftermath - Stones
      Freak Out - Zappa
      Black Monk Time - Monks
      Face to Face - Kinks
      Psychedelic Sounds - 13th Floor Elevators
      A Quick One - The Who
      Fresh Cream - Cream
      Fifth Dimension - Byrds
      Love - Love
      Animalism - The Animals
      Boom - The Sonics
      The Seeds - The Seeds
      96 Tears - ? & The Mysterians
      Web of Sound - The Seeds
      Psychotic Reaction - The Count V
      Turn On - The Music Machine
      Jacques Dutronc - Jacques Dutronc
      The Remains - The Remains
      Small Faces - Small Faces

Another year that was equally remarkable was 1977!

• April 19, 2013 2:18 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles already explained why earlier, but here's my own Holy Trinity :

1956, 1966 and 1976 !!!

• April 13, 2013 10:50 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

1966, period.

• April 12, 2013 7:46 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

2004 - when I start rockin yeah

• April 10, 2013 3:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wow. They scarcely played together , anymore , at that point, when you could have seen both of them for $3 at CBGBs at one time..... The Ramones and Iggy played together, here , in '88 , and I later read they had'nt shared a bill in 10 years , except one big festival where I don't think they were on the same day(?) . The Dickies were added at the last minute . It was the last time DeeDeee would play with the band in Chicago.

Manu said:

If we talk about most intense rock 'n roll years on the personal side, I like to mention '93 at least for the Graspop festival in Belgium I attended, featuring THE CRAMPS AND THE RAMONES. How much would we pay for such a night now?! Was I fully conscious of my chance?..

MikeL said:

2004 was my best year ever for rock'n'roll. I discovered a cool new band that year (the Charms); a band that I discovered the previous year (Manda and the Marbles) played here in Pittsburgh a couple of times, and they had a CD release party in their hometown of Columbus, OH, which I attended; a new local band at the time (the Breakup Society) released a cool debut CD; the Cynics played a couple of local gigs; a couple of bands that I discovered a few years earlier (Cobra Verde and the Paybacks) played here at the 31st Street Pub; a favorite local punk band that broke up a few years before (the Ultimatics) did a one off reunion show at the Pub; I saw both the Darkness and David Bowie in concert; I attended LSUG's Battle of the Bands and the festival at Randall's Island in NYC; I saw the Gore Gore Girls a couple of times here in Pittsburgh when they had that really cute bass player Jen "Deuce" Pirch; I saw the Ramones' documentary "End of the Century." And that's pretty much it. I guess all the stars lined up perfectly that year, and I'll probably never have another year like that again, which saddens me.

• April 10, 2013 3:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I forgot to mention : Best show performed to 30 people: Arthur Brown.

Bigest letdown : Kingsmen , Larry and The Blue Notes , Jerry Lee Lewis (But, he was better , every time , after that , I saw him.).

John Battles said:

Devil's Advocate sez  1986 was'nt too shabby , either.

Cramps - A Date With Elvis.

Roky Erickson - Don't Slander Me.

Pandoras - Stop Pretending.

Link Wray - Live in 85.

Fleshtones - Fleshtones Vs. Reality.

Lithium Xmas -Aneurysm (And the pre - Nirvana debut of their version of "Love Buzz " by The Shocking Blue.).

Ramones - Animal Boy (Some of us were glad there was an album and a tour.).

Motorhead - Orgasmatron (Ditto.) .

Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy and US imports of their first singles.

Washington Dead Cats - Horror Stories from The Washington Dead Cats.

Rockabilly Psychosis and The Garage Disease (Comp. Possibly '85.)

Revenge of The Killer Pussies (Same).

Teddy and The Tall Tops - On The Line EP.

Screamin' Jay Hawkins with The Fuzztones - Live EP.

? and The Mysterians - Live , Dallas , '84.

Sky "Sunlight" Saxon and Firewall "Destiny's Children" (It was STILL better than what most "Straight''artists were coming up with in the REM afterbirth.).

Vile Vinyl , VOL. 1 AND 2  (Comps.)

Fuzzbox - Bostin' Steve Austin/We've Got a Fuzzbox and We're Gonna USE It. (US/UK. Possibly  '86 and 87.).

Paladins - Debut on Wrestler.

Dwight Yoakum - Guitars , Cadillacs , etc.(It sounded fresh at the time.).

Best shows - Ramones , Divine Horsemen , Plan 9 , Pandoras , Motorhead , Carl Perkins , Blasters , Screamin' Jay Hawkins , John Lee Hooker , (early) Rev. Horton Heat , Ragin' Fire , Voodoo Idols , Bo Diddley , Paladins , Teddy and The Tall Tops , Lithium Xmas , Peyote Cowboys , Shitty Beatles , Mel Coolies ,

Hell , even The Butthole Surfers were still turning in good shows.

Best tour that passed my town - Cramps.

Worst shows - Red Hot Chili Peppers , Flaming Lips , Stickmen with Rayguns .

Not bad and not great - Johnny Thunders , Sid and Billy King.

• April 10, 2013 9:25 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Lyres Lyres"!!! Ok, '85 but was so good!

John Battles said:

Link Wray - Live in 85.

Lithium Xmas -Aneurysm (And the pre - Nirvana debut of their version of "Love Buzz " by The Shocking Blue.).

Sky "Sunlight" Saxon and Firewall "Destiny's Children" (It was STILL better than what most "Straight''artists were coming up with in the REM afterbirth.).

Fuzzbox - Bostin' Steve Austin/We've Got a Fuzzbox and We're Gonna USE It. (US/UK. Possibly  '86 and 87.).

Best shows - Ramones , Divine Horsemen , Plan 9 , Pandoras , Motorhead , Carl Perkins , Blasters , Screamin' Jay Hawkins , John Lee Hooker , (early) Rev. Horton Heat , Ragin' Fire , Voodoo Idols , Bo Diddley , Paladins , Teddy and The Tall Tops , Lithium Xmas , Peyote Cowboys , Shitty Beatles , Mel Coolies ,

• April 10, 2013 9:22 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If we talk about most intense rock 'n roll years on the personal side, I like to mention '93 at least for the Graspop festival in Belgium I attended, featuring THE CRAMPS AND THE RAMONES. How much would we pay for such a night now?! Was I fully conscious of my chance?..

MikeL said:

2004 was my best year ever for rock'n'roll. I discovered a cool new band that year (the Charms); a band that I discovered the previous year (Manda and the Marbles) played here in Pittsburgh a couple of times, and they had a CD release party in their hometown of Columbus, OH, which I attended; a new local band at the time (the Breakup Society) released a cool debut CD; the Cynics played a couple of local gigs; a couple of bands that I discovered a few years earlier (Cobra Verde and the Paybacks) played here at the 31st Street Pub; a favorite local punk band that broke up a few years before (the Ultimatics) did a one off reunion show at the Pub; I saw both the Darkness and David Bowie in concert; I attended LSUG's Battle of the Bands and the festival at Randall's Island in NYC; I saw the Gore Gore Girls a couple of times here in Pittsburgh when they had that really cute bass player Jen "Deuce" Pirch; I saw the Ramones' documentary "End of the Century." And that's pretty much it. I guess all the stars lined up perfectly that year, and I'll probably never have another year like that again, which saddens me.

• April 10, 2013 9:17 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You're right, just listen to the "Bad part of town" by the Bare Facts... THAT'S the '66 sound, my friends!

John Battles said:

'66 , THE YEAR OF OUR LORD , THE BATMAN , IS HARD TO DISPUTE.

I played at this big Punk festival (Actually , I played at the after - party.) , commemorating the 30th Anniversary of Punk , in 2006.  I told the remaining few that 1966 was The Year Punk Broke.

• April 10, 2013 12:33 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

2099:

Prince will re-release his timeless hit...

• April 9, 2013 5:16 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Link Wray - Live in 85.

• April 9, 2013 2:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• April 3, 2013 8:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

'66 , THE YEAR OF OUR LORD , THE BATMAN , IS HARD TO DISPUTE.

I played at this big Punk festival (Actually , I played at the after - party.) , commemorating the 30th Anniversary of Punk , in 2006.  I told the remaining few that 1966 was The Year Punk Broke.

• April 2, 2013 2:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My vote goes to '66! None More Hip!

• July 1, 2012 10:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

EARLY TO MID 80'S WERE A GOOD TIME , ON MANY LEVELS . THERE WAS  A NEW BAND , EVERY WEEK. BUT MOST PEOPLE ONLY CHOOSE TO REMEMBER THE STUFF THAT WAS'NT EVEN GOOD , IN THE FIRST PLACE.   YOU CAN WATCH "URGH" , AND MAYBE NOT AGREE TO LIKING EVERY BAND , BUT , THE IDEA THAT THIS WAS ALL HAPPENING AT THE SAME TIME , AND THEY MADE A FILM ABOUT IT. IT WAS VERY EXCITING , STILL IS.

LIKE YOUR PIC OF THE DETROIT/NYC "SUPERGROUP" RAMONICS RENDEZSTOOGE BAND.

• July 1, 2012 5:10 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's quite a good thumb rule for the 50's to 70's, fully agree! And I heard that 1960 was the worst one, trapped in between 56-58 birth and early British bommers by 62... Now, if we turn ourselves to more recent period, I guess the most exciting one probably was around 80-81 with the Songs the Lord Taught Us by the Cramps, the Fire of Love by Gun Club and all the "garage revivalist" wave coming up...

• June 30, 2012 4:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just "Jessie's Girl"? Did'nt Aldo Nova and Donny Iris break big in that year , too?

KIDDING ASIDE , It's so hard to nail it down to one year , but , someone said these things happened in 10 year intervals -  

1956 - Rock'n'Roll (Though hardly new.) is at it's peak.

1966 - Garage Punk and early Psych peaks.

1976 - US and UK Punk BUSTS OPEN WIDE , with Western Europe , Canada , Australia , etc. right at their heels.

That's not to discount the importance of the years '54 , '55 , '64 , '65 ,  OR '77 , or The Postwar Blues and R'n'B , some of which we might as well call Rock'n'Roll (Wynonie Harris , Big Joe Turner , Amos Milburn , The Treniers , Louis Jordan , Johnny Otis and Louis Prima.), because Rockin is Fuckin'.   

• June 30, 2012 1:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

hey hamster,i thought that was funny.

• June 30, 2012 10:14 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

1981 - Jessie's Girl - Rick Springfield

Sorry, couldn't resist.

• June 28, 2012 7:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

1977! The year I was born, and my favorite year in music.  I will add these albums to your list:

Pink Flag - Wire

Talking Heads: 77

Cheap Trick, In Color - Cheap Trick

This is the Modern World - The Jam

Exodus - Bob Marley & The Wailers

Pure Mania - The Vibrators

The Boys - The Boys

Trans-Europe Express - Kraftwerk

Radios Appear - Radio Birdman

Spiral Scratch - Buzzcocks

L.A.M.F - The Heartbreakers

Life on the Line - Eddie & the Hot Rods

Gringo Starr said:

Marquee Moon - Television
      Never Mind the Bullocks - Sex Pistols
      The Clash - The Clash
      My Aim Is True - Elvis Costello
      Rocket To Russia - Ramones
      Lust For Life - Iggy Pop
      Suicide - Suicide
      The Idiot - Iggy Pop
      Damned Damned Damned - The Damned
      Leave Home - Ramones
      In The City - The Jam
      Blank Generation - Richard Hell & The Voidoids
      (I'm) Stranded - The Saints
      Young Loud and Snotty - The Dead Boys
      Germacide - The Germs

• June 28, 2012 10:01 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I tend to agree on those two "millesimes", even if I would add 1973 with Raw Power and the 1st NY Dolls album. 1973, a raw and wild year announcing the end of f*** prog rock and the explosion of US punk! The Ramones would start just 1 year later (see the 1974 video on Youtube)... 

Gringo Starr said:

The Clash - The Clash
      Lust For Life - Iggy Pop
      Suicide - Suicide
      The Idiot - Iggy Pop
      Leave Home - Ramones
      In The City - The Jam
      Germacide - The Germs

• June 28, 2012 6:36 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Clash - The Clash
      Lust For Life - Iggy Pop
      Suicide - Suicide
      The Idiot - Iggy Pop
      Leave Home - Ramones
      In The City - The Jam
      Germacide - The Germs

• June 28, 2012 6:19 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

1966!

Revolver - Beatles
      Pet Sounds - Beach Boys
      Blonde on Blonde - Dylan
      Aftermath - Stones
      Freak Out - Zappa
      Black Monk Time - Monks
      Face to Face - Kinks
      Psychedelic Sounds - 13th Floor Elevators
      A Quick One - The Who
      Fresh Cream - Cream
      Fifth Dimension - Byrds
      Love - Love
      Animalism - The Animals
      Boom - The Sonics
      The Seeds - The Seeds
      96 Tears - ? & The Mysterians
      Web of Sound - The Seeds
      Psychotic Reaction - The Count V
      Turn On - The Music Machine
      Jacques Dutronc - Jacques Dutronc
      The Remains - The Remains
      Small Faces - Small Faces

Another year that was equally remarkable was 1977!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel