Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Unknown '50s Flying Saucer Flick (Help!)

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 18, 2012 10:11 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

When I was a kid, I spent many of my Saturday afternoons watching monster/horror/science fiction B movies hosted on local shows with names like "Thing Theater" or "Science Fiction Theater," back in the days of independent channels (At that time we had Channel 53 here in Pittsburgh, before it became a Fox affiliate).  

There's one movie in particular that I remember watching, but for the life of me I can't remember the title.  It appears to have been made in the 50s or even early 60s, and it was in color.  It was about a flying saucer that landed in a wooded area, and the aliens from that saucer were roaming around in the woods, randomly attacking and killing people.  The aliens looked like mummies, and they had one big black eye where their faces should be (Keep in mind that my memory may be playing tricks on me).  The Army was called in to investigate, and I can remember the commanding officer sitting in his jeep observing the saucer as his men surrounded it.  The aliens were killed when someone realized that bright light made them disappear in a puff of smoke, and a bunch of teen-agers drove their cars to through the woods and turned their headlights on the aliens.

Anyway, I mentioned all of this because I'm hoping this will jog someone's memory, and that someone will tell me the title of this movie.  

• June 20, 2012 2:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Glad you found the one you were looking for!....I had forgotten all about "....Saucermen" 'ril I read your post....now I Really want to see it again!......

Mind you...for sheer classic special effects...my money is still on "The Giant Claw".....

MikeL said:

The one I was looking for was an ultra low budget remake from 1965.  However, I did find a trailer on youtube for the original movie that you made reference to, and it actually looks better than the remake, i.e. a slightly bigger budget for alien costumes that are slightly less ridiculous looking:)  Thanks for your response.

The Blue Giant Zeta Puppies said:

The bit with the Teenagers destroying the aliens with car headlights sounds like "Invasion of The Saucermen" (aka "invasion of the hell creatures")...but the aliens in that have 2 eyes....

• June 19, 2012 9:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Director , Larry Buchanan , out of Dallas , was commissioned to remake several 50's Sci - Fi Horror films , for Television ,  with even drastically lower budgets. "The Eye Creatures" WAS his remake of  " Invasion of The Saucermen". The one to look out for is "Creature of Destruction" (I don't even remember what it was a remake of.) , as it features Scotty McKay (Ex - Gene Vincent's Bluecaps) doing both sides of his boss single , "All Around The World (Grits Ain't Groceries)" and "Batman" (An original song, the show TV was going big at the time.).
       MikeL said:

The one I was looking for was an ultra low budget remake from 1965.  However, I did find a trailer on youtube for the original movie that you made reference to, and it actually looks better than the remake, i.e. a slightly bigger budget for alien costumes that are slightly less ridiculous looking:)  Thanks for your response.

The bit with the Teenagers destroying the aliens with car headlights sounds like "Invasion of The Saucermen" (aka "invasion of the hell creatures")...but the aliens in that have 2 eyes....

• June 18, 2012 2:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• June 18, 2012 1:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's it:)  Thank you very much.

Jules Roth said:

Maybe it was The (The) Eye Creatures. Here's a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4L4-qlWpkM

Also MST3000 gave it appropriate treatment, also good viewing!

• June 18, 2012 10:50 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel