Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Psychotronic New Yorker Article

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 20, 2012 9:49 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes, Andy, it's Derek!! Glad to see you're into good music and good movies, too!

• June 20, 2012 9:43 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sounds cool (Derek, I'm guessing?)! Sadly, I have never seen the movie despite being on the lookout for it. The book is really fun to read.

• June 20, 2012 9:39 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'll check the "Devil Thumbs a Ride", Andy.  Seen that movie!  I also refer sometimes to   Immoral Tales: European Sex and Horror Movies 1956-1984. Cathal Tohill and Pete Tombs - it's more Euro sexploitation than just good old horror and trash, but there are some occasional crossover titles...

• June 20, 2012 9:17 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, I still always trot out both those Psychotronic books more than any other film books  (and then Barry Gifford's short but vital The Devil Thumbs a Ride for the crime movies he covers.)

• June 19, 2012 6:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for the heads up, Andy.  I have and really like the "Psychotronic" film book, always something to discover in there - or when I watch something B-ish nice to consult it.  And my wife gets the New Yorker here but I NEVER read it, so finally something to check out...

• June 7, 2012 6:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i was lucky enough to be buddies with Michael Weldon while he was working on the book & after...really col that this was in THAT magazine! weirdsville...thanks for posting...

• June 5, 2012 5:34 AM CDT
    • Untitled

Lucky for me Mike, my parents favored going to the drive-in as opposed to hitting the walk-in theaters back in the '70's-early '80's. I was fed a steady diet of flicks like "Dirty Mary Crazy Larry", Billy Jack films, "Deliverance" rip-offs, "She Devils On Wheels", the "Walking Tall" series, along with numerous car-chase, slasher, ultra low-budget horror, and "Southern" actioners. Once cable television was introduced here in my city, we spent less time going to see these types of flicks, and I stayed glued to stations like WTBS, USA, and others, devouring popcorn while entranced with Japanese monster movies, Hammer films, and celluloid punk culture.

• June 2, 2012 8:39 AM CDT
    • Untitled

I wish my parents had been so cool as that kid's.

• June 1, 2012 9:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Glad to pass it on - and gives me even more movies to want to watch!

• June 1, 2012 11:37 AM CDT
    • Untitled

Wow, reading over this has really brought back some cool memories of me growing up (since me and the writer are close to the same age). I, too, had an obsession with "psychotronic" films and delving into issues of "Famous Monsters Of Filmland", "Fangoria", and "Starlog" only fueled it. Very cool article, and thanks for sharing it!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel