Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Is Facebook killing music? How important are Facebook likes?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 17, 2012 7:50 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i feel stupid even writing it but it seems to me that unless you're popular on facebook it is really hard to be taken seriously......come on!

• March 11, 2013 2:39 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah it is, but we're up to 74 now. Not nearly as good when you think of all the crap from '74.

John Battles said:

66 is a good number.

Glenn Barton said:

I don't even take liking seriously on FB. I feel stupid asking for likes for our band. I should do more campaigning and after seeing some other posts on this topic, I will. We only have 66 likes but are doing well gig-wise. We would probably do better with more likes. Check out our videos on our website and youtube. If you like them, I mean truely like them, feel free to like us on Facebook. It will probably help the cause.  If you don't like us, well, obviosly, don't like us. If you think the whole like system is weird and you don't care for it, don't give it a second thought... Irwin Zucker- promotion in motion. You can click on my page and find our website. Don't think I should post it here, just in case guidelines...

• March 11, 2013 12:02 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey , Glenn. I'm good , thanks for asking.
      GRANTED , IT'S A LITTLE DIFFERENT FOR ME , AS i DON'T HAVE A BAND . I'M NOT MY OWN BEST PR GUY. I USUALLY TAKE GIGS IF THERE'S A MUTUAL GENUINE INTEREST. I don't know that FB would have helped someone like me...If I do have a gig , or am helping somebody else out , I still make flyers. It was more fun , though , when you could post flyers almost anywhere. I KNOW A LOT OF BANDS STILL USE MY SPACE TO ADVERTISE THEIR GIGS OR PROMOTE NEW RELEASES....IT'S A GHOST TOWN ,NOW , OF COURSE , but , I can't believe I was the only person having fun with the original My Space , as welll as getting the word out about shows w/o worrying how many likes I got..
      Glenn Barton said:

Yeah. It's getting ridiculous. One good part about the hideous job of hi-volume retail is that I see a few of my FB friends and talk to them in person. Tell them when a gig is coming up, hand them a flyer/schedule (remember those- I think they are still around because they don't require verbal!). It's all part of the general erosion which I have a name for but won't say in print until I have the trademark on it like Pat Reiley (sp?) has on 3-peat. Nyuk, nyuk.

How are you Mr. Battles?

John Battles said:

Amen. People who criticized me for not getting on it are now saying they wish they had'nt bothered. Not all of 'em. But , it IS killing how people communicate. Between that and texting , when do people ever TALK , even on the phone? When FB first started , some former friends from college were starting a chat group. They asked one friend I've always been in touch with to join. One of them , a longtime Born - Again Christian said to tell me to get on FB so he could TALK to me. I said , I'll  give him my phone number , if he has anything to say , he can say it to ME. TURNED OUT THE ONES WHO WERE'NT BORN AGAIN IN COLLEGE ARE , NOW , SO , THEY SNUBBED MY FRIEND FOR HAVING A MIND OF HIS OWN, AND HIS OWN PERSONAL BELIEFS......On the other hand , when it comes down to music , there may be reasons to join , but , I'm reading , now , there are plenty of reasons not to. How hard is it to e-mail a personal friend , or , God forbid , call 'em on the phone , if they're not on Face Book , to tell them you have a gig ? We used to do it , all time , not long ago.

Allerleirauh said:

Facebook is killing everything.

• March 10, 2013 11:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

YOU'LL RECALL , THAT BULLSHIT ABOUT "HOME TAPING IS KILLING MUSIC". THAT WAS A BIGGER DEAL IN THE UK , BUT SOME ALBUMS , HERE , BORE THAT WARNING.....
      Like , if you taped , or , later , burned an album or a self- made compilation , probably motivating your friends to buy more music , as often as not, it was , and is , a win - win situation. 
      Mole said:

Definitely not killing music as far as I'm aware - but is ANYTHING killing music? If you bypass the dross that passes for music on most daytime radio shows (I'm talking UK specifically here) and ignore pretty much anything on 'normal' TV [esp. those 'talent' shows - Jesus, what a total scam], there's an extremely healthy underground scene. As Kopper mentions, the DIY thing is probably easier now than ever before, and in my experience and opinion, social networking sites [just like this one RIGHT HERE!!!] slot perfectly into that approach. As our man says, you don't NEED labels/promoters etc to be able to put out your own music - what you need is BELIEF.

• March 10, 2013 11:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

66 is a good number.

Glenn Barton said:

I don't even take liking seriously on FB. I feel stupid asking for likes for our band. I should do more campaigning and after seeing some other posts on this topic, I will. We only have 66 likes but are doing well gig-wise. We would probably do better with more likes. Check out our videos on our website and youtube. If you like them, I mean truely like them, feel free to like us on Facebook. It will probably help the cause.  If you don't like us, well, obviosly, don't like us. If you think the whole like system is weird and you don't care for it, don't give it a second thought... Irwin Zucker- promotion in motion. You can click on my page and find our website. Don't think I should post it here, just in case guidelines...

• March 10, 2013 5:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ditto.

G. Wood said:

I have nothing but unbridled admiration for you, sir.

Matt said:

I've never ever been on Facebook. I have a band that does fine without it. I also seem to know about shows, parties, and I am able to keep in contact with my friends all without the help of Facebook.

• March 3, 2013 3:28 PM CST
    • Untitled

I have nothing but unbridled admiration for you, sir.

Matt said:

I've never ever been on Facebook. I have a band that does fine without it. I also seem to know about shows, parties, and I am able to keep in contact with my friends all without the help of Facebook.

• March 3, 2013 3:23 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

• March 3, 2013 3:15 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• March 3, 2013 12:53 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm sure that's true in some cases but we have a lot of rabid 60s fans who seek out bands like us because of the music we play. Often repeated comment: I love you guys because you play different stuff from most 60s bands. I have to give them credit because a lot of them are their specifically for the music. If they like you, you know how to treat them, everyone has a good time, it all helps. I think a lot of our fans are more like the serious people on this list, just not as knowledgeable about the depth of great 60s music out there. We are turning them on to some here and there and so far, they like it just about as much as the hits they know. Total props to them for that. I think these types of fans may be an exception because of the die-hard love for 60s. I'm sure their are pockets of fans like that for many other genres, too. Seem to be prevalent with 60s. I am also a fan and will drive a long way to see fave local 60s act. I know exactly where they are comin' from. 

G. Wood said:

The main thing is still to play out a lot and be good. Social media helps in that it introduces you to people, if they like you, if you charm them, they become predisposed to liking your music. Because most people--present company excluded, I'm sure!--don't really care as much about the music itself as being part of something that's trendy, or feeling a sense of group membership. Hence the "likes." And it still helps to be sexy.  

• March 3, 2013 11:44 AM CST
    • Untitled

Yep, it's rough out there.

B.B. Fultz said:

All of which is probably true. And pretty sad really.

G. Wood said:

The main thing is still to play out a lot and be good. Social media helps in that it introduces you to people, if they like you, if you charm them, they become predisposed to liking your music. Because most people--present company excluded, I'm sure!--don't really care as much about the music itself as being part of something that's trendy, or feeling a sense of group membership. Hence the "likes." And it still helps to be sexy.  

• March 3, 2013 11:16 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

All of which is probably true. And pretty sad really.

G. Wood said:

• March 3, 2013 8:32 AM CST
    • Untitled

• March 1, 2013 11:58 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh yeah, I intentionally avoided FB for about 3 or 4 years because I knew it would be a time- gobbling nemesis. After band was up and running, it was a necessity. I was right about the time...

• March 1, 2013 11:55 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah. It's getting ridiculous. One good part about the hideous job of hi-volume retail is that I see a few of my FB friends and talk to them in person. Tell them when a gig is coming up, hand them a flyer/schedule (remember those- I think they are still around because they don't require verbal!). It's all part of the general erosion which I have a name for but won't say in print until I have the trademark on it like Pat Reiley (sp?) has on 3-peat. Nyuk, nyuk.

How are you Mr. Battles?

John Battles said:

Amen. People who criticized me for not getting on it are now saying they wish they had'nt bothered. Not all of 'em. But , it IS killing how people communicate. Between that and texting , when do people ever TALK , even on the phone? When FB first started , some former friends from college were starting a chat group. They asked one friend I've always been in touch with to join. One of them , a longtime Born - Again Christian said to tell me to get on FB so he could TALK to me. I said , I'll  give him my phone number , if he has anything to say , he can say it to ME. TURNED OUT THE ONES WHO WERE'NT BORN AGAIN IN COLLEGE ARE , NOW , SO , THEY SNUBBED MY FRIEND FOR HAVING A MIND OF HIS OWN, AND HIS OWN PERSONAL BELIEFS......On the other hand , when it comes down to music , there may be reasons to join , but , I'm reading , now , there are plenty of reasons not to. How hard is it to e-mail a personal friend , or , God forbid , call 'em on the phone , if they're not on Face Book , to tell them you have a gig ? We used to do it , all time , not long ago.

Allerleirauh said:

• February 27, 2013 5:39 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yup.  We have 14,000 likes and I am not sure how many know that we are a band.  We do regularly get new people out to the show because they like our social media.  These are people that turn into fans that like us because they just liked our pages because we were funny and they ended up liking the music.  If you grow your facebook or twitter fanbase it will turn to band fans.  A small percentage but every little bit helps.

Ted said:

facebook likes can be very misleading...friends of friends will like a band page just because a friend tells them to. So...even if the band blows dick they can have 15,000 likes and only a quarter to half of the likes are legit.

• February 27, 2013 7:25 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

tick tick

Sir Rapley said:

The Facebook "like" system plays too much of a big role in peoples heads to whether or not what their producing is worth while. Its ridiculous to think that any good record company or any half decent booker/promoter would trust a websites polling numbers to their own ears or ability to see talent. You might be dealing with the wrong people

• February 27, 2013 7:12 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Facebook "like" system plays too much of a big role in peoples heads to whether or not what their producing is worth while. Its ridiculous to think that any good record company or any half decent booker/promoter would trust a websites polling numbers to their own ears or ability to see talent. You might be dealing with the wrong people

• February 27, 2013 5:51 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What secures gigs, sales or whatever yardstick of success you may choose is not about social media likes but good music.

It is easy to get likes on social media - gaming the system is of no value - it is engaged fans who matter. But that said if the music sucks - well - it isn't going to happen.

• February 27, 2013 2:14 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Actually we miss money to have a good web site with tour dates and everything... in this condition, Facebook is a good free tool to keep in touch with fans. (and Garagepunk.com to !)

But as human beings, we keep talking to people... out of the social networks !

• February 26, 2013 10:57 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Allerleirauh said:

• February 26, 2013 10:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

IS IT TO LATE TO GIVE HIM AN OSCAR ?!!

Bryan said:

Personally, I don't care for Facebook because it's seems like it's nothing more than High School Yearbook forever.

• February 26, 2013 9:51 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Personally, I don't care for Facebook because it's seems like it's nothing more than High School Yearbook forever.

• February 24, 2013 5:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

facebook likes can be very misleading...friends of friends will like a band page just because a friend tells them to. So...even if the band blows dick they can have 15,000 likes and only a quarter to half of the likes are legit.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel