Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Lamest Garage Rock Cover?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 9, 2013 7:35 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

IS THERE A COVER OF A GARAGE ROCK CLASSIC OR OBSCURITY , OR BOTH , THAT WAS SO BAD YOU EITHER LOVED OR LOATHED IT?  The example I always fall back on is Pop Music Will Eat Itself's "Beaver Patrol". I thought , THIS guy's with The Beaver Patrol? HA!

Cynthia Plastercaster later confirmed that he was her biggest casting yet , including Jimi Hendrix. So , I guess he knew what he was talking about , even tho' I still lean toward "Loathe" on that version.

• June 16, 2013 2:31 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That is true. I scored it cheap  saying , what's the hell , and there's some great stuff on there.Have'nt heard many other groups doing "Group Grope" or "FRENZY" by The Fugs. Southern Culture on The Skids did a great job on "I Could'nt Get High".

Ali Want said:

I just pulled out that Songs We Taught The Fuzztones double and even though I'm not a Fuzztones fan as such you have to put your hands together in praise of their good, good taste.

John Battles said:

OK ,WE'VE ESTABLISHED THAT....BUT , IT'S TOO EASY TO TAKE SHOTS AT THE FUZZTONES. NOT MANY OF THEIR PEERS ARE STILL AT IT , AND MAKING GOOD ALBUMS NOW AND AGAIN (PARTICULARLY "SALT FOR ZOMBIES").....Since their first US releases , we've had The Makers , Mono Men, Mortals , The Go , Mooney Suzuki , Deadbolt , Reigning Sound , Mummies , and a zillion others I'm supposed to worship , apart from buying some of their records , then finding they had a short shelf life , I don't get it.  

• June 16, 2013 1:57 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just pulled out that Songs We Taught The Fuzztones double and even though I'm not a Fuzztones fan as such you have to put your hands together in praise of their good, good taste.

John Battles said:

OK ,WE'VE ESTABLISHED THAT....BUT , IT'S TOO EASY TO TAKE SHOTS AT THE FUZZTONES. NOT MANY OF THEIR PEERS ARE STILL AT IT , AND MAKING GOOD ALBUMS NOW AND AGAIN (PARTICULARLY "SALT FOR ZOMBIES").....Since their first US releases , we've had The Makers , Mono Men, Mortals , The Go , Mooney Suzuki , Deadbolt , Reigning Sound , Mummies , and a zillion others I'm supposed to worship , apart from buying some of their records , then finding they had a short shelf life , I don't get it.  

• June 15, 2013 2:18 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• May 28, 2013 6:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Longdrone Flowers said:

I personally think anything by The Fuzztones is just awful.
      agreeed!
    • May 25, 2013 7:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

ok , not the lamest or the worst , but one of the most like an aftertought. Beasts of Bourbon "Good Times" (Nobody's Children) , ok , I'm in that itsy - bitsy teenie weenie minority that was never that impressed with B.O.B. , not compared to T.Tex Edwards or Iggy Yoakum and His Famous Pogo Ponies. But , any band with the chutzpah to do "Good Times" is to be admired on some level. But their version ,they kind of muddle thru it , the singer forgetting the words , but , not letting that get in their way......at least they did'nt break into "What's So Funny About Peace , Love and Understanding" as The Flaming Lips did on their godawful version of "Strychnine". I remember seeing The Flaming Lips in Dallas in the late 80's. You did'nt dare say you disliked them , with their Led Zeppelin retreads. Same thing happened here , with Smashing Pumpkins, detractors like myself  were RARE. i KNOW it's hard to believe , now.....

• May 19, 2013 10:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Low Numbers - Try It (Standells) . This was a VERY early Punk Rock Joke band , on Rhino.   So bad , it's passable , but, i TAKE IT THEY WERE NEVER A REAL BAND. In their liner notes , the Guitarist said he holds the title to the name "Johnny Thunder'' as that was his real name ,  and Johnny Thunders was'nt The Dolls/Heartbreakers' Guitarist's real name , it was Johnny Gonzales (Genzale. Close.). Never mind they already had a Johnny Thunder ("Loop De Loop".) . When asked their opinion on The Ramones , they said "We don't like Disco.". That's worse than what Crime said about them.

Try it (Standells' own remake , ca. 1987. Reportedly just as bad.).

Did'ja know there was a Chocolate Watchband in England , and a Velvet Underground in Australia , in the 60s? Where I COME FROM , THAT JUST AIN'T RIGHT.

• May 19, 2013 1:58 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Probably for the better.

John Battles said:

NO , I THINK IT'S FUNNY. Don't feel you're being mean. I still don't know who the Hell she is.

• May 18, 2013 9:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

NO , I THINK IT'S FUNNY. Don't feel you're being mean. I still don't know who the Hell she is.

Jane Dear said:

Ha! I think she was still incubating when Urge Overkill got together. I feel kinda mean making fun because it just goes without saying.
    • May 18, 2013 9:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No , no , no. You're thinking of Neko Case. Nash Kato was The Green Hornet's sidekick.

Andy Climax said:

Wasn't Nash Kato, Inspector Clouseau's assistant in dem Panther movies??? haha

• May 18, 2013 9:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , that was a joke. I , unfortunately, live in Urge Overkill , Liz Phair , Smashing Pumpkins , Ministry , etc. etc.'s home town , so , I always had to hear how great all that stuff was , but , I'm still not feelin' it . A former friend told me Urge Overkill was up shit creek because their record had only sold 100, 000 , which , in Punk Rock terms , is a Gold Record.

Johnny Lurg said:

No, that was Nash Kato.

John Battles said:

Oh , GOD , IT BOTHERS ME , TOO. KATE NASH. WAS'NT SHE IN URGE OVERKILL?

• May 18, 2013 2:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wasn't Nash Kato, Inspector Clouseau's assistant in dem Panther movies??? haha

• May 18, 2013 11:11 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Ha! I think she was still incubating when Urge Overkill got together. I feel kinda mean making fun because it just goes without saying.
    • May 18, 2013 4:58 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No, that was Nash Kato.

John Battles said:

• May 17, 2013 10:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• May 17, 2013 1:45 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I hope this is relevant because it bothers me.

• May 17, 2013 1:15 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hola , amigos. Sorry I have'nt been around and stuff , but , The Ford Fiesta fuckin' died on me , just when I was gonna hire this artist to paint that Nazareth album cover on the hood. You know , I think it's the one with that song "Now you're messin' with a SON OF A BEEYOTCH !!!". Fuckin' 8 Track died on me too , man , right between track one and track two of REO SPEEDWAGON, where the dude goes "DOO DOO DOOOOOOOOO DOODLE DEE DOOO , DOOT DOOT DOODLE DEE DOOODLE DEE DOO DOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!'' BAD ASS , MAN.

OK , the lamest version of a Garage Rock classic (Envelope , please) THE SANDPIPERS doing "LOUIE , LOUIE ! " !!!!!!!!!!! GOD , i WORKED IN A DAY CARE CENTER , AND THAT'S THE STUFF THEY'D PLAY TO MAKE THE CHILDREN FALL ASLEEP AT NAP TIME.

Some asswipe troll on You Tube tried to tell me a Black man (Richard Berry) did'nt write "Louie , Louie". Maybe he heard this version , first , and decided there's no way it could have been (Overstating the obvious , I know.)what it is ,  an R'n'B song. Or , maybe it's because he's a douche.

• May 3, 2013 12:39 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

UMMMMMMM....... "lOVE IS all AROUND" (nOT "gARAGE PUNK AS SUCH , i KNOW)-

eITHER wET , wET , wET OR REM.

"Omaha" (Moby Grape)- Golden Palominos w/ Michael Stipe.

"How is The Air Up There" - BANGLES (HEARD WORSE, BUT IT'S FURTHER PROOF THEIR PRE - FAME ACCOLADES WERE UNWARRANTED.).

"WHAT A WAY TO DIE" - TRYFLES (I'VE ONLY HEARD IT ONCE , BUT IT SOUNDED .....POLITE.).

The Troggs doing Sam Kinison's version of "Wild Thing" - I love The Troggs , and I even love Sam , but , it does'nt work.

Again , not exactly "Garage " , but , here's a special lame Glam cover section"

Power Station - Bang a Gong (Get it on).

Krokus - Ballroom Blitz.

Quiet Riot - Cum on Feel The Noize , Mama Weer all Crazee Now.

Motley Crue - Smokin' in The Boys' Room (Not exactly Glam , but the mighty Brownsville Station were beginning to flirt with Glam trappings.).

Joan Jett - I Love Rock'n'Roll (I'll be shot at sundown , but I never got it with her post - Runaways stuff. Lo siento mucho. Besides , Allan Merrill , who wrote it , said Joan never made an effort to thank him.) , Do You WannA tOUCH mE (oH yEAH) . tOMMY jAMES WAS DOING THE WHOLE sUZI qUATRO/gARY gLITTER trip better, five years earlier , and of course, he did "cRIMSON AND cLOVER" , FIRST , TOO.

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World.   I prefer Lulu's version.

Ace Frehley - New York Groove. I even like The  Sweet's new version , better.

• April 26, 2013 2:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I had the chance to see Johnny Depp performing with Gibby Haynes and the group , "P" , in Austin in '93. I was IN the venue , but , they were following Roky Erickson. It was my first time to see Roky , ever , and NUTHIN' could have followed that. OK , MAYBE SLADE , ALL ORIGINAL MEMBERS , could've. I stuck my head in the doorway , looked inside momentarily , and went off to relocate my head , which was on the cieling , somewhere. I was an extra in one of Depp's movies. I did'nt get to meet him , but , he was hanging out right where I was sitting , when he  was off - camera. I found him to be very funny , and very good with people , not up himself at all. I could easily see him doing a self - indulgent ,  but very funny , Psychedelic album of his own.

• April 26, 2013 3:19 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What a great idea tho.... Pished up actors do your favourite garage classics. I'm a living sickness: Johnny Depp, Be a Caveman:Al Pacino, and the classic Voices Green and Purple done by Martin Sheen, haha. This would make Shatner's albums positively listenable

• April 25, 2013 11:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

David McCallum's Orchestra did "I Can't Control Myself", it's hilarious , but not too rockin' at all. The Sonics did "Open Up Your Door" by Richard and The Young Lions..... But this was the 1980 Sonics (Gerry Rosalie with The Invaders.). It's not terrible , it just reminds me a bit of The Cars.I'm told The Standells' own remake of "Try It" (1987?) was terrible. Never heard it , tho'. The Low Numbers , on Rhino , did a pretty bad (In a humorous way) "Try It" , which was a misguided Punk parody. Alice Cooper's "Talk Talk" and "7 and 7 is" may sound watered down , but his version of "Ubangi Stomp" kills!  The Dwarves' "Strange Movies" , no thanks. T. Tex Edwards and Lithium Xmas' superior version , released concurrently , should have been on the "Groin Thunder" Troggs tribute ,instead.

• April 25, 2013 11:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

yes ! That Oliver Reed thing is SO weird. It's kind of sad to see him THAT drunk , but of all the remakes Reg and/or The TROGGS did of 'Wild Thing" , it's got to be the most original.

Reed did what the fuck he wanted. Like KLAUS kINSKI , HE PISSED A LOT OF PEOPLE OFF WITH HIS BEHAVIOR , BUT HE HAD THe SWAGGER TODAY'S HOLLYWOOD BAD BOYS SADLY LACK.............And , oh , yeah , he could ACT ,too.

• April 25, 2013 4:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

talk about shit covers of 'wild thing'... check this clip out. 90's British Tv at its most fuckin cringey!!! I fkn love Oliver Reid tho'. Classic!

• April 25, 2013 3:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like it. It's not my favorite Eddie and The Hot Rods cover song. That , of course , would be "Get Out of Denver".

Johnny Lurg said:

What do you think of Eddie and the Hot Rods' version?

John Battles said:

THAT'S FUNNY !!!! Almost as funny as the guy who posted The Stranglers' "96 Tears" on You Tube, stating it was by The Cramps. It's still up there , by the way , despite several people leaving corrections to the obvious (Intentional?) blunder.   That version, I like OK , i'M A BIGGER FAN OF THE PURPLE HELMETS , THO'.  

Johnny Lurg said:

I actually like The Stranglers' version of "96 Tears," although one of my friends mistook it for Smash Mouth's version of "Can't Get Enough of You, Baby."

• April 25, 2013 3:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

.....I think The Ventures' VERSION OF "Wild Thing" is pretty funny , but , this was when they'd cast their lot and become largely a cover band. People forget , they did a LOT of originals in the early days , and still did the odd original in the mid - 60's and after , when they were slowly falling out of favor in The US , but , (sTILL.) reign supreme in Japan......

I'm a fan of their "Hard Rock" period , when they did stuff like "Sunshine of Your Love" , "Down on Me" and (Blue Cheer's) "Summertime Blues". I realize I'm largely alone , here........

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel