Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• May 28, 2013 6:09 PM CDT
    • One more Seeds mono question for Alec Palao

Me: On the Steve Hoffman forum, the host wrote this about the first Seeds album:
      "A few years ago I was going to work on a reissue until I found out that the actual mono tapes were dumped and all that existed in master form was the fake stereo. Their solution? Just fold to mono. They couldn't have saved one reel? Grrrrrrr."
      That quote is confusing many people on the forum. Any comment?
      Alec: ....the attached is my response to Hoffman. He clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.
      (When pulling out this scan, I remembered something interesting - as you can see, they originally intended using the unedited PTH.)
      UPDATE: A few minutes after posting this on Steve Hoffman's site, I was blacklisted as spammer. Strange.

• May 28, 2013 5:19 PM CDT
    • Zero Hour for 5.24.13

12:02PM The Everly Bothers “Sleepless Nights” from A Date With the Everly Brothers (1961) on Warner Brothers
      12:05PM Belton Richard “Another Sleepless Night” from Another Saturday Night (1968) on Ace
      12:07PM The Ravens “Sleepless Nights” from Garage Punk Unknows Part 1 (1999) on Crypt
      12:10PM The Originals “Sleepless Hours” from Las Vegas Grind, Vol. 3 on Crypt
      12:12PM The Slickee Boys “Sleepless Nights” from Somewhat of an Anthology (2002) on Dacoit
      12:16PM The Singles “Sleepless Nights” from Use it for Yourself (2012) on Off The Hip
      12:23PM The Hangmen “I'm Your Man” from East Of Western (2012) on Cargo
      12:27PM Hollywood Brats “Then He Kissed Me” from Hollywood Brats (1994) on Cherry Red Records
      12:31PM Los Chicos “On My Face” from In the Age of Stupidity (2012) on Dirty Water
      12:33PM The Dukes of Hamburg “I Gotta Move” from I Gotta Move - I Need You - Single (2013) on Voodoo Rhythm New
      12:35PM Hammered Satin “Foxy Dude” from S/T (2013) on Burger
      12:38PM Cyanide Pills “Sit Tight” from Still Bored (2013) on Damaged Goods New
      12:41PM Thee Spivs “Lets Talk About the Weather” from The Crowds and the Sounds (2013) on Damaged Goods New
      12:44PM Giuda “Here Comes Saturday Night” from Racey Roller (2012) on Damaged Goods
      12:47PM Cowbell “Every Dog Has Its Day” from Hanging By a Thread - Single (2013) on Damaged Goods Records
      12:52PM South Filthy “Surfin' In Death Valley” from You Can Name It Yo' Mammy If You Wanna ... (2001) on Sympathy For The Record Industry
      12:57PM Travis Pendarvis “Southbound Line” from Sun Rockabilly Meltdown (2009) on Charly Records
      01:02PM Certain Stars “Off The Mark” from The Great Destroyer (2012) on Cuba Libre Records Local
      01:05PM Holly and the Nice Lions “Break Your Teeth” from Let's Get Wild! (2011) on Memorized Dictionary Local
      01:08PM Tim Schweiger & The Middlemen “Waitin' On Allison” from The Big Let Down (2010) on Duck on Monkey Records Local
      01:11PM Crappy Dracula “Earth Sucks” from Fantastic Dracula (2011) on s/r Local
      01:15PM Ramma Lamma “True Life Stories” from Big Street Time - Single (2011) on FDH records Local
      01:17PM Sacred Order “International House of Death” from Lest We Forget: Our Night to Remember (2013) on Milwaukee Rock Posters Local, New
      01:21PM Green Circles “Semaphore Girl” from Mr. Cocking's Descent (2013) on Off The Hip New
      01:24PM Donovan's Brain “Restless Nights, Many Dreams” from Turned Up Later (2013) on Career Records/Cobraside New
      01:28PM The Plastic Pals “The Final Remedy” from Turn the Tide (2013) on Polythene Records
      01:32PM The Three O'Clock “I Go Wild” from Live at the Old Waldorf 2-9-1983 (2013) on Burger
      01:36PM The Three O'Clock “Upside Down” from Live at the Old Waldorf 2-9-1983 (2013) on Burger
      01:40PM The Minus 5 “The Disembowelers” from Killingsworth (2009) on Yep Roc
      01:43PM Robyn Hitchcock “Devil On a String” from Love From London (2013) on Yep Roc Records
      01:46PM Vic Chesnutt “Big Huge Valley” from west of rome (1991) on texas hotel
      01:49PM Billy Bragg “Love Gets Dangerous” from The Peel Sessions (1991) on Strange Fruit
      01:53PM R. Stevie Moore “I Missed July” from Single (2013) on Sweaters & Pearls
      01:56PM Summer Twins “Forget Me” from Single (2013) on Burger
      01:58PM Games “Pictures of Your Mind” from Games (2012) on Hozac
      02:04PM Baby Woodrose “BubbleGum” from Light up Your Mind - Single (2013) on Bad Afro Records
      02:07PM The Monsters “Crawling Back to You No More” from Pop Up Yours (2011) on Voodoo Rhythm
      02:09PM The Routes “I'm Spent” from Alligator (2011) on Dirty Water Records
      02:12PM 60 Second Swingers “City of People” from Better With Fuzz, Babe (2013) on Soundflat New
      02:15PM King Salami And The Cumberland 3 “The Dilly Bop” from Cookin' Up a Party (2013) on Dirty Water
      02:18PM Telstar Sound Drone “Lost Our Love” from Comedown (2013) on Bad Afro Records New
      02:23PM The Popdudes “Your Own Soundtrack” from Starry Eyed: The Records Tribute (2013) on Zero Hour
      02:26PM Kurt Baker “Partied Out” from Brand New Beat (2012) on Collector's Club Records
      02:30PM Peach Kelli Pop “Julie Oulie” from 2nd Album (2013) on Burger
      02:32PM Colleen Green “You're So Cool” from Sock it to Me (2013) on Hardly Art
      02:35PM The Mergers “We'll All Be Stars” from Monkey See, Monkey Do! (2013) on Soundflat Records
      02:38PM Shannon And The Clams “The Rabbit's Nose” from Dreams in the Rat House (2013) on Hardly Art New
      02:43PM Salty Pajamas “Meat Country” from Salty Pajamas (2012) on Off Label Records
      02:46PM The Wobbly Lamps “Never Ever Bloody” from Drella EP (2013) on Polyvinyl Craftsmen
      02:51PM Paint Fumes “999” from Uck Life (2012) on Slovenly
      02:53PM The Goodbye Johnnys “Savage” from Single (2013) on Self
      02:56PM Purling Hiss “Lolita” from Water On Mars (2013) on Drag City

• May 28, 2013 4:49 PM CDT
    • Jarmusch? Really?! I heard about the show , but , not the DVD. yEAH, DAN IS A FRIEND OF MINE FROM WAY BACK...I DID'NT WANT TO SOUND LIKE I WAS BRAGGING , HA HA. ONLY ONE OF US HAS A RIGHT TO BRAG , AND IF YOU'VE SEEN "PLASTERCASTER " ,YOU KNOW WHICH ONE THAT IS !  I'm in it, too, briefly , talking to Dan , before Cynthia "Pops the question.". The Dan and The Darleans 45 is good , minimal BFTG type Garage. Yeah , Dan came up here and played a Country Blues set with a friend. No promotion , no mikes or amps.

KK Dirty Money & Las Drogas said:

Very cool! I lived in the Ann Arbor area at the time of the blackout, so I was driving to the venue when I heard about the cancellation of the show on the radio. I just wound up continuing to drive further up into Northern Michigan where there was power and hanging out up there, doing some boating and such with family, for a few days until the power came back.

All the local rockers, both "big" and "small", were present at the Stooges reunion. It was a great place to be ("scene, see, and be seen" if you know what I mean...) 

A couple years back, the Iggy and the Stooges played a special Ron Asheton tribute show at the Michigan Theater in downtown Ann Arbor (later made into a DVD documentary), filmed by Jim Jarmusch and featuring guests such as Henry Rollins and Deniz Tek on guitar. It was an Ann Arbor musical homecoming of sorts. Thankfully, Deniz Tek appears to be in good health and is still rockin' strong.

Rasmussen as well as Dan Kroha can be seen "around town" quite frequently, performing or hanging out at shows. Dan plays out regularly. His newest band, called Dan and the Darleans is actually really cool and it is pretty easy to catch them playing pretty much anywhere around town from very small free shows in the lobby of the Majestic Theater to bigger stages opening for national acts.  

• May 28, 2013 11:29 AM CDT
    • Very cool! I lived in the Ann Arbor area at the time of the blackout, so I was driving to the venue when I heard about the cancellation of the show on the radio. I just wound up continuing to drive further up into Northern Michigan where there was power and hanging out up there, doing some boating and such with family, for a few days until the power came back.

All the local rockers, both "big" and "small", were present at the Stooges reunion. It was a great place to be ("scene, see, and be seen" if you know what I mean...) 

A couple years back, the Iggy and the Stooges played a special Ron Asheton tribute show at the Michigan Theater in downtown Ann Arbor (later made into a DVD documentary), filmed by Jim Jarmusch and featuring guests such as Henry Rollins and Deniz Tek on guitar. It was an Ann Arbor musical homecoming of sorts. Thankfully, Deniz Tek appears to be in good health and is still rockin' strong.

Rasmussen as well as Dan Kroha can be seen "around town" quite frequently, performing or hanging out at shows. Dan plays out regularly. His newest band, called Dan and the Darleans is actually really cool and it is pretty easy to catch them playing pretty much anywhere around town from very small free shows in the lobby of the Majestic Theater to bigger stages opening for national acts.  

• May 27, 2013 10:55 PM CDT
    • i did'nt hear anything about Scott Morgan , that's awful. I knew about Scott Asheton having to drop out ,temporarily , from the touring Stooges due to health reasons. I know some of his friends , and they're sworn to secrecy. I think he would have been approachable enough , but , as I say , he had family with him , and about two seconds before he got up to leave. I did'nt want to be THAT person , glomming onto him when he wants to be alone.

I was at that Stooges show in '03 in Clarkston. The show that DID and the show that did'nt happen....When we got to town , peple were saying the power was out at the facility. We did'nt know HOW MUCH power was out , in the US and Canada....Someone said "Have'nt you been listening to the radio?". I said "Do I look like I listen to the radio?!". There was a "Wake" at the Quickie Mart (Maybe you were there.). I felt bad , because I was meeting people from New York , New Jersey , etc. , who could'nt just come back when the show was rescheduled. But , what a great show it was. Everybody was ON.     But , yeah , I met Gary Rasmussen there, and the Guitarist from The Mutants , whose name escapes me. But , I'd met him , earlier , when he and his Son were playing in Elvis Hitler. Dan Kroha was there , too , and I saw about 100 Fred "Sonic " Smith T-shirts.

• May 27, 2013 4:21 PM CDT
    • Yes, his show is currently on the road. You can find the details online pretty easily. Yes, the Godoy Twins are a great backing band for him (and they have their own interesting story in itself). 

@John Battles: those are great stories you're sharing. Yes, those guys are all fairly approachable. At least around here (but I live in their home turf, so it is easy to run into these guys any old night of the week or at a local rock show, usually at the Blind Pig in Ann Arbor). They aren't the friendliest guys around, but still cool nonetheless. Rock Action is still doing some things here and there. Unfortunately, Scott Morgan has been in failing health lately (the last time I saw him, he looked like death warmed over...). 

I was at that same Clarkston, MI show at what was then called Pine Knob; now it is called DTE Energy Ampitheater (during the Stooges reunion tour, summer of '03; had to be rescheduled due to the huge brownout/blackout across the states). It was a great time. 

• May 27, 2013 3:55 PM CDT
    • Deniz just played at the Quarry House Tavern in Silver Spring, MD w/ my band The Stents (also w/ Jake Starr & The Delicious Fullness.) The venue sounds similar. It was a little underground (literally) club with a ceiling that was maybe 6'5" tops. Great crowd and Deniz (plus the Godoy Twins) were super cool dudes. It was kinda surreal to see him in such an intimate setting. He sounded fantastic!

• May 27, 2013 2:29 PM CDT
    • Retraction: I meant to say , I almost met Scott Asheton in 2010. he had some family and friends with him , so , I did'nt want to disturb him ("The Wrath of ROCK!" haha.). I waited to see if he had a free moment , but , he was getting up to go backstage , stilll wearing his shades in the dark , and I'm going hamina hamina hamina....I know some folks who know him , and say he's a down to earth cat . 

• May 27, 2013 9:36 AM CDT
    • Thanks for sharing the great story.  I saw Tek when he was touring with Radio Birdman back in the summer of 2007. Great show!  Is Tek taking this show on the road? 

• May 28, 2013 4:41 PM CDT
    • Are Boy Bands called "Lad Bands" in England?

No , John ,they're called shite.

Andy Climax said:

In Britain just now,. This shit is masquerading as 'music'. Wot a load of fuckin shite! It'll never catch on. Not like the popular 'Beat' combo's we're used to. Just a passing fad hopefully! haha

• May 28, 2013 4:39 PM CDT
    • ME , TOO!  JOHN.  (YOU NAME HERE) ME , THREE!!!! THE CIRCLE WON'T BE BROKEN.

• May 28, 2013 3:22 PM CDT
    • Never heard this before..... never wanna fuckin hear it again either, haha

• May 28, 2013 3:05 PM CDT
    • In Britain just now,. This shit is masquerading as 'music'. Wot a load of fuckin shite! It'll never catch on. Not like the popular 'Beat' combo's we're used to. Just a passing fad hopefully! haha

• May 28, 2013 4:32 PM CDT
    • .....It's not bad, Would'nt call it weird . The puppets and stuff , yeah , but, I like puppets.

It sounds , mainly, like 70's Rock Riffage (Deep Purple , Thin Lizzy , eg.) , but , less heavy. The singer sounds a little too much like Siouxsie for my taste , but she has a GOOD voice. The hookah lounge....even jocks go to the hookah lounge in the states. And the lion with the pipe....Oh , well. It is funny.

• May 28, 2013 3:41 PM CDT
    • just heard this slab of weirdness about 2 minutes ago. Debut album just out. Apart fae that, I know nothing about them. This is just lovely tho.

• May 28, 2013 2:57 PM CDT
    • Its an amazing feeling when you've heard a song and forgotten it for ages, then totally out of the blue some radio station plays it. Ebay is a great source especially when you find the name of the track or band. Years ago I remember hearing a punk version of 'I Can See Clearly Now' by the wonderful Johnny Nash. Heard it at a local gig and asked an searched for ages. Totally forgot about it. I then heard a programme on 6Music from the BBC. Nicky Wire was asked for his 10 favourite punk covers. Low and behold number 6 was Snuff's version of it. I fuuuuuuckin loves it. £25 it cost me for the pleasure of owning it. Money well spent me'thinks?... Enjoy!

• May 28, 2013 11:20 AM CDT
    • I missed the previous post about this, so thank you.  :)  

• May 27, 2013 1:20 AM CDT
    • Someone else already posted a thread about this a couple weeks ago:

http://garagepunk.com/forums/topic/57/the-garage-swim-comp

So far, the King Tuff track is my favorite.

• May 26, 2013 5:51 PM CDT
    • Cool deal. And I really, really, really, really like the design of that webpage. 

• May 27, 2013 9:49 AM CDT
    • We're all getting old:)

Hamster said:

You're going to enjoy the show!  Just saw Cheap Trick live a few days ago. Nielsen is still incredible on the six-string, Zander's voice is strong, Peterson and his 12-string bass are a treat to watch, and Daxx Nielsen played the best drum solo I have ever witnessed in person. Granted, Cheap Trick is old (and so am I) but you're in for a good show...

• May 27, 2013 9:12 AM CDT
    • You're going to enjoy the show!  Just saw Cheap Trick live a few days ago. Nielsen is still incredible on the six-string, Zander's voice is strong, Peterson and his 12-string bass are a treat to watch, and Daxx Nielsen played the best drum solo I have ever witnessed in person. Granted, Cheap Trick is old (and so am I) but you're in for a good show...

• May 25, 2013 7:14 PM CDT
    • ok , not the lamest or the worst , but one of the most like an aftertought. Beasts of Bourbon "Good Times" (Nobody's Children) , ok , I'm in that itsy - bitsy teenie weenie minority that was never that impressed with B.O.B. , not compared to T.Tex Edwards or Iggy Yoakum and His Famous Pogo Ponies. But , any band with the chutzpah to do "Good Times" is to be admired on some level. But their version ,they kind of muddle thru it , the singer forgetting the words , but , not letting that get in their way......at least they did'nt break into "What's So Funny About Peace , Love and Understanding" as The Flaming Lips did on their godawful version of "Strychnine". I remember seeing The Flaming Lips in Dallas in the late 80's. You did'nt dare say you disliked them , with their Led Zeppelin retreads. Same thing happened here , with Smashing Pumpkins, detractors like myself  were RARE. i KNOW it's hard to believe , now.....

• May 25, 2013 4:06 PM CDT
    • "As for metal" .....are you kidding??! Maybe where you come from, but just Google the words "Metal Fest" and see how much comes up all over U.S. and Europe as a start.  From my side of the continent, Pacific NW and California most certainly haven't seen the last of metal and all derivative forms thereof, i.e, doom, thrash, folk, etc.  Thrash and Doom is VERY big here, in particular. There's actually a resurgence of TONS of good bands lately, including that which has already been mentioned.

• May 25, 2013 12:33 PM CDT
    • Radio What Wave Playlist May 23/2013

1. The Balantynes...Velvet...preview of an upcoming 7" on La Ti Da Records.

2. The Johnnys...I'm Electric...from a brand new CD, Rock.

3. King Beez...Race With The Devil...from the Deathproof CD.

4. Red Mass...Candy...from the free download that comes with the latest Mongrel Zine, available in London at Grooves Records. MZ 11, with The Zellots in it.

5. The Outsiders...That's Your Problem...from a Greatest Hits LP. For Ronnie Splinter who passed away.

6. The Outsiders...Don't You Cry...from the Flight To Lowlands Paradise LP, an 80's comp of 60's Dutch beat.

7. The Outsiders...I Love Her Still...from a Romilar D 7" EP from the 80's.

8. The Lyres...Here's A Heart...from the Some Lyres LP on Taang! Records.

9. The noble Savages...Hard Hard Life...brand new demo.

10. The noble Savages...She's So Serious...from a demo.

11. The Mystics...Can't Be Happy...from a 7".

12. Uranus...Motorbikin'...from Slippery's Club Hits, the cassette w/WW 24, no available at Phantastica Oddity Curiousity Shop, 232 Dundas St in London.

13. Jim Ashby...Speed City...best record to ever come out of London Ontario. Sunday is Speed City's Annual Record Swap/Sell/Buy in the parking lot, starting at 10AM.

14. Panther Burns...Dateless Night...from The World We Knew LP.

15. King Salami and the Cumberland Three...Just My Kind...from their latest on Dirty Water Records.

16. The Doors...Go Insane...from a 60's comp call Mind Blowers Volume 1.

17. The Doors...Hello I Love You...for keyboardist Ray who passed away. NFG used to cover this one many years ago.

18. The Doors...Break On Through.

19. David Bowie...Friday On My Mind...from the Pinups LP and for bassist Trevor Bolder who passed away.

20. David Bowie...Sorrow...as above.

21. David Bowie...Ziggy Stardust...from the CD of the same name.

22. Don't Touch The Dancers...Your Girlfriend's A Slut...from the North Of The Border Volume 1 compilation download.

23. Simply Saucer...Electro Shock...from The Cyborgs Revisited.

24. Simply Saucer...Almost Ready Betty...from the Half Human Half Alive CD.

25. The Mongrels...All Systems Are Go...from a recent Radio WW Session.

Thanx for all the feedback..email, text, phone and shout out!!

Back again with more noise to annoy next week.

And here's a link to the podcast:

http://chrwradio.ca/content/radio-what-wave#prev-shows