Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• June 29, 2012 9:41 AM CDT
    • I got to meet Fifi at his bar last year. Luckily for me he was too drunk to notice me being a bit "fan boy".

• June 29, 2012 6:39 AM CDT
    • It was the dynamic between Johnny's vision of the band and Joey's penchant for pop songs that kept The Ramones relevant throughout their career.  It's hard to pick one of the latter albums as a favorite, but the Acid Eaters album of covers pulls together the two band dynamics pretty well (Substitute and Surf City are personal favorites).

• June 28, 2012 9:43 PM CDT

• Beautiful pictures. I hear Dee Dee gets a lot more stuff from fans than Johnny. I did'nt know the line from " Highest Trails Above" was inscribed on Dee Dee's tombstone.  I think The Ramones did just two songs from "Subterranean Jungle" , when I first saw them in '84 , and that was one of them.....Some critic said it was a silly song. Whatever. I always liked it , especially that machine gun guitar break (Again , probably Walter Lure.).
      Dalevis said:

Went to the Hollywood Forever Cemetery on Monday to pay my respects to Johnny and Dee Dee. It was comforting to know that they weren't buried in a pet cemetery. They didn't want that.

• June 28, 2012 1:05 PM CDT
    • Went to the Hollywood Forever Cemetery on Monday to pay my respects to Johnny and Dee Dee. It was comforting to know that they weren't buried in a pet cemetery. They didn't want that.

• June 28, 2012 6:30 AM CDT
    • Just to say that me and my band we'll open the next italian gig of Marky Ramone...what an honor!!

• June 29, 2012 5:40 AM CDT
    • Dave, I'm 58.

• June 29, 2012 12:26 AM CDT
    • I am 56 years old. Am I then one of the oldest on the hideout? I love 1960's garage and psychedelic rock.Squires - going all the way is just one example. Needless to say there were great UK bands in the 60's.Take care Matthew.
      Dave from boston

• June 29, 2012 2:01 AM CDT
    • A version of this was published in The Santa Fe New Mexican 
      June 29, 2012

As it turns out, despite their wacky turn-of-the-century catchphrase, The Hives weren’t your favorite band.

It seems like only yesterday that this Swedish group was the Next Big Thing. Singer “Howlin’ Pelle Almqvist” and the boys were viewed as rock ’n’ roll saviors who would wrest music from the corporate Huns. Or whatever. I don’t remember exactly how long Hivesmania lasted, but it wasn’t long. And I’ve completely forgotten what the next Next Big Thing was. There have been a few since then.

But even though the hype quickly withered, The Hives have consistently, if not prolifically, made good, fun rock ’n’ roll. The recently released Lex Hives is the band’s fifth full-length album, its first since 2007’s The Black and White album.

Before writing this I looked back at my review of The Hives’ breakthrough album, Veni Vidi Vicious (from 10 years ago). “These five nonblondes rock with unabashed intensity and a healthy humor,” I wrote. “The relentless guitar attack and back-to-Stooge-basics approach indeed sounds fresh, if not terribly original.”

I could say the same about the new album, though I probably wouldn’t include a cryptic reference to that ’90s one-hit-wonder, 4 Non Blondes.

But many critics have been less than kind about Lex Hives. One British writer sniffed, “You’ll only get a kick out of this record if you think all music made since 1976 is terrible and have absolutely no desire to hear anything new whatsoever.”

Oh good grief!

Granted, a lot of the tunes here have a certain classic-rock sheen. “Go Right Ahead” sounds like Electric Light Orchestra filtered through T Rex. “I Want More” might be an AC/DC sendup. (Or is that recurring muted familiar guitar riff a sample from Joan Jett’s “I Love Rock ’n’ Roll”?) And on the very first track, The Hives seem to put the whole album in the context of arena-rock knuckleheadedness with their minute-long tongue-in-cheek invocation “Come On!” Here, with overdubbed crowd cheers in the background, Almqvist chants, “Come on! Come on! Come on! ... Everybody, come on!”

If you like it fast and furious — and I sure do — it doesn’t get much better than “These Spectacles Reveal the Nostalgics.” The melody is reminiscent of the Ramones. “Take Back the Toys” is raw anger. “Take back the toys you gave to me/I never knew what to do with them anyway,” Almqvist seethes in the chorus. The final song, “Midnight Shifter,” is aided by a horn section.

But my favorite on Lex Hives is “Patrolling Days.” The chorus goes, “My patrolling days are over/And I ain’t shot nobody since/I fought the big cheese out of office/And taught the hep kids how to dance.” It’s not exactly clear what the heck Almqvist is singing about, but maybe he’s identifying with an old gunslinger who wants to let the world know he’s still a dangerous dude. “I’m still standing in the hurricane’s eye and it’s dancing to my song,” he sings.

The Hives never were my favorite band. But they always sound mighty powerful.

Also recommended: 

Here are a couple of bands whose music I’ve come to know through our beloved  GaragePunk Hideout :

* Get on Board by The Molting Vultures. They come from a land Down Under — Adelaide, Australia to be exact. This rowdy bunch started out as a trio in 2004 playing surf, punk, and garage sounds, but their ever-evolving membership has grown (it’s “an evolving collective,” their Facebook page says) into a quintet. The guitars are fuzzy, the electric organ is prominent, and the beat is maniacal.

Though nearly all the songs on this album are in the two- to three-minute range, my favorite is a long one, the five-and-a-half-minute minor-key odyssey called “Rock ’n’ Roll Emergency.” Organist Jamie Vulture shines here with snaky, Doors-like riffs.

Also worthwhile is the song “Drop in & Go” (which also was the title of the group’s previous album, though the song didn’t appear there). Fans of classic-era garage music will recognize the lyrics of “The Crusher” by The Novas (“Do the hammerlock you turkey necks! Do the eye gouge!”), which the Vultures borrow here.

All the songs are original, except for an excellent cover of Roky Erickson’s “Fire Engine” (originally recorded by the 13th Floor Elevators).

*  Falling off the Face of the Earth by The Electric Mess. These guys are not really off the face of the Earth. They’re in Brooklyn.

Led by singer Esther Crow (real name Chip Fontaine), The Mess’ basic sound is based on the mid-’60s Nuggets-era sound of fuzz and Farfisa put through the punk-rock grinder. This album rocks even harder than the group’s self-titled 2010 debut.

Highlights here include the infectious opening track, “He Looks Like a Psycho” (“You say you’re choosing right, but he looks like a psycho/You’d better stay in the light because he looks like a psycho”), “Don’t Take Your Bad Trip Out on Me,” which sounds like The Count Five after drinking a case of Red Bull, and the low and slow “You’re Fired,” which may or may not be an ode to Donald Trump.

Blog Bonus: Some videos for your entertainment

Do the eye gouge, you turkeynecks!

• June 28, 2012 11:52 PM CDT
    • I remember The Makers sometimes used to cart around their own PA at shows, circumventing the club's PA.

• June 28, 2012 8:47 PM CDT

• Having gone through a few powered speaker combinations had a nuts idea of putting together a valve PA for house party size gigs - a real 'crappy' 60s tech PA system. 

The head is a 100W Eminar. The speakers are meant to be Rola Plessey  C12PX but I got new in box equivalents that the army ordered to replace the C12PX - they sound identical.

These were pretty standard systems in the 70s in Australia - the factory was in Melbourne. 

It certainly doesn't sound modern but I was surprised how loud it could go and how sweet it sounded. Briefly tried it as a guitar amp - incredible sound and a sweet breakup when pushed - did set off every dog for miles around though :-)

It seemed like a crazy idea but for less $ than new powered speakers it sounds so much more beautiful - and looks fantastic.

Will debut it at a gig next month ...

Does anyone else use a valve PA for vocals and micing up?

• June 28, 2012 7:51 PM CDT
    • 1977! The year I was born, and my favorite year in music.  I will add these albums to your list:

Pink Flag - Wire

Talking Heads: 77

Cheap Trick, In Color - Cheap Trick

This is the Modern World - The Jam

Exodus - Bob Marley & The Wailers

Pure Mania - The Vibrators

The Boys - The Boys

Trans-Europe Express - Kraftwerk

Radios Appear - Radio Birdman

Spiral Scratch - Buzzcocks

L.A.M.F - The Heartbreakers

Life on the Line - Eddie & the Hot Rods

Gringo Starr said:

Marquee Moon - Television
      Never Mind the Bullocks - Sex Pistols
      The Clash - The Clash
      My Aim Is True - Elvis Costello
      Rocket To Russia - Ramones
      Lust For Life - Iggy Pop
      Suicide - Suicide
      The Idiot - Iggy Pop
      Damned Damned Damned - The Damned
      Leave Home - Ramones
      In The City - The Jam
      Blank Generation - Richard Hell & The Voidoids
      (I'm) Stranded - The Saints
      Young Loud and Snotty - The Dead Boys
      Germacide - The Germs

• June 28, 2012 10:01 AM CDT
    • I tend to agree on those two "millesimes", even if I would add 1973 with Raw Power and the 1st NY Dolls album. 1973, a raw and wild year announcing the end of f*** prog rock and the explosion of US punk! The Ramones would start just 1 year later (see the 1974 video on Youtube)... 

Gringo Starr said:

The Clash - The Clash
      Lust For Life - Iggy Pop
      Suicide - Suicide
      The Idiot - Iggy Pop
      Leave Home - Ramones
      In The City - The Jam
      Germacide - The Germs

• June 28, 2012 6:36 AM CDT

The Clash - The Clash
      Lust For Life - Iggy Pop
      Suicide - Suicide
      The Idiot - Iggy Pop
      Leave Home - Ramones
      In The City - The Jam
      Germacide - The Germs

• June 28, 2012 6:19 AM CDT
    • 1966!

Revolver - Beatles
      Pet Sounds - Beach Boys
      Blonde on Blonde - Dylan
      Aftermath - Stones
      Freak Out - Zappa
      Black Monk Time - Monks
      Face to Face - Kinks
      Psychedelic Sounds - 13th Floor Elevators
      A Quick One - The Who
      Fresh Cream - Cream
      Fifth Dimension - Byrds
      Love - Love
      Animalism - The Animals
      Boom - The Sonics
      The Seeds - The Seeds
      96 Tears - ? & The Mysterians
      Web of Sound - The Seeds
      Psychotic Reaction - The Count V
      Turn On - The Music Machine
      Jacques Dutronc - Jacques Dutronc
      The Remains - The Remains
      Small Faces - Small Faces

Another year that was equally remarkable was 1977!

• June 28, 2012 7:01 PM CDT
    • I LUV PAUL!!!! I just HAVE to have him!!! I just have to marry HIM!!!! Oh wait....I'm in the wrong crazed fan section....neva mine.....

• June 28, 2012 6:54 PM CDT
    • Hi I'm Ry. Guitarist and Singer from Australia.

I guess I'll just say I play music every day with my best friend in my band The Astros. http://theastros.bandcamp.com

That's our stuff.

I'm also really into all things sci fi, especially table top gaming and things like that.

So hello to everyone =D

• June 28, 2012 3:01 PM CDT
    • I wasn't aware.  Thanks for letting me know.

Chris Henniker said:

MIming is a rip-off of licence payers money.

Frank S said:

I believe that's right and miming for sure.  Just part of the fun for me.

Chris Henniker said:

Top Of The Pops? They were all miming, though this might be for contractual reasons.

Frank S said:

A good friend gave me a video on VHS many years ago with all the old school glam fav's like Sweet, Gary Glitter, Slade, T-Rex with the footage being sourced from American Bandstand style British television.  This was fantastic since there was no such thing as YouTube back then.  I may have to dig that up.  Overall, I think Sweet had the catchiest/hookiest songs to back up their outlandish persona.  Check 'em out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp_-L1wVVZA

• June 28, 2012 2:30 PM CDT
    • MIming is a rip-off of licence payers money.

Frank S said:

I believe that's right and miming for sure.  Just part of the fun for me.

Chris Henniker said:

Top Of The Pops? They were all miming, though this might be for contractual reasons.

Frank S said:

A good friend gave me a video on VHS many years ago with all the old school glam fav's like Sweet, Gary Glitter, Slade, T-Rex with the footage being sourced from American Bandstand style British television.  This was fantastic since there was no such thing as YouTube back then.  I may have to dig that up.  Overall, I think Sweet had the catchiest/hookiest songs to back up their outlandish persona.  Check 'em out here:

• June 28, 2012 1:48 PM CDT
    • I believe that's right and miming for sure.  Just part of the fun for me.

Chris Henniker said:

Frank S said:

• June 28, 2012 1:16 PM CDT
    • Top Of The Pops? They were all miming, though this might be for contractual reasons.

Frank S said:

• June 28, 2012 12:03 PM CDT
    • A good friend gave me a video on VHS many years ago with all the old school glam fav's like Sweet, Gary Glitter, Slade, T-Rex with the footage being sourced from American Bandstand style British television.  This was fantastic since there was no such thing as YouTube back then.  I may have to dig that up.  Overall, I think Sweet had the catchiest/hookiest songs to back up their outlandish persona.  Check 'em out here:

• June 28, 2012 11:47 AM CDT
    • Haha, so true John!

John Battles said:

And he means the ALBUM , not the girl on the cover.

joey fuckup said:

Another one I've got to get my hands on!

swt said:

And don't forget The Gibson Bros. I like the album they did with Workdogs, Punk Rock Drivin' Song of a Gun.

• June 28, 2012 7:00 AM CDT
    • Missy from the D-Rays is @athensmissy

• June 27, 2012 4:46 PM CDT
    • I think I discovered the blog of one of the members....it's called Ghetto Blasters and Butterfly Knives.  It's given me alot of entertainment.  The Agenda is alot of fun!!! 

40 Oz. Joey said:

Check out "Start the Panic" from the Agenda! (The exclamation point is part of their name). It was released back in '09 on Athens, GA-based indie label Kindercore, and I discovered it in a now closed FYE. It was used, dirt cheap, and I liked the cover. I sampled some cuts at a listening station, and I was fucking hooked. From beginning to end, it's gritty garage that doesn't let up, and I've been hoping to find more from this group. This vid isn't their best song on the album, but at least you can get an idea: