James Brown & The Famous Flames - "I'll Go Crazy"
      Lord Sutch - "The Cheat"
      The Association - "Memories Of You"
      Miller - "Baby I Got News For You"
      Sandy Coast - "I'm A Fool"
      The Who - "A Quick One, While He's Away"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/373.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/373.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• May 11, 2012 2:06 PM CDT
    • Show #373: "The Eggman Collection #113"

Every 3 weeks I do a series of shows called The Eggman Collection which is a big potpourri of every song I've ever liked in my life...EVER! It's literally a huge mixing bowl full of songs written onto tiny pieces of paper. Over 15,000 songs that I've been compiling for the past 20-plus years of my life. Every song I've ever liked has gone into this bowl, and every three weeks I draw them out one-by-one and play them for you in no particular order. A mix of everything and anything I like, no matter what genre, era, style or year of release...if I like it, then I'll play it! No repeats of the same song ever! Tune in tonight (Friday) at 10pm EST for the 113th installment of The Eggman Collection and hear bands and artists like: Ekseption, Hapshash & The Coloured Coat, Gun, Traffic Sound, Blonde On Blonde, The Tubes, Lighthouse, The Association, The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, The Beatles, Montage, It's A Beautiful Day, Serge Gainsbourg, Quintessence, Erkin Koray, Norman Greenbaum, Episode Six, Lord Sutch, Miller, The Who, and many others!!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• May 12, 2012 12:29 AM CDT
    • Boy , there's almost never been bad casting FOR Renfield , Dwight Frye , Klaus Kinski , and now , Tom Waits......Elvira (Cassandra Peterson) is on the cover of his "Small Change " (OR IS IT "LOOSE cHANGE"...And , I got the good wordie that Alice Cooper has a cameo in "Dark Shadows , doing "The Ballad of Dwight Frye"...

The Pulsebeats said:

Another one of ol' Tom

• May 12, 2012 12:19 AM CDT
    • Cool.  I found it on CHRW's site and it also says they recorded it there, very cool.  I wonder what was the last time they were on the radio?

whatwave dave said:

Frankenstein 5  !!!!!!!!!!!!    Only total 60's garage punk band to come outta sleepy London Ontario in the late 80's!!!!

• May 11, 2012 12:03 PM CDT
    • Frankenstein 5  !!!!!!!!!!!!    Only total 60's garage punk band to come outta sleepy London Ontario in the late 80's!!!!

• May 11, 2012 7:34 PM CDT
    • Here's the Radio What Wave playlist for The Cedar Lounge radio special aired 5/10/12 on CHRW 94.9 FM....links at the bottom for the podcast which is up for 1 week only.
      You walk in the door, pay your $2 cover and you're home!!!

Playlist May 10/2012....our special on The Cedar Lounge as it closed down May 1/1982, being London's only exclusive punk/new wave/whatever club since late 1977 when Uranus chased out the bluegrass mafia and took it over. Big thanx to Jack and Frank of Uranus for getting us this venue which was a home for many of us outsiders/non conformists/outcasts of society.

Here's a link to our Cedar Lounge page on facebook which has lots of pics and comments....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/68282891225/
      This is was the outside of The Cedar Lounge...decorated with our fave bands!!

This show was almost all live recordings from The Cedar Lounge, the few that weren't are noted as such and fit into the time frame that The Cedar existed.

1. The Demics....New York City....from the first cassette of London based bands called Domestic Animals and recorded 12/21/79 at The Cedar.

2. Uranus...Shake Some Action...live recording at a car show in Toronto and was aired over CFNY approx May 1980. I don't have any live recordings of Uranus at The Cedar.

3. Teenage Head...Picture My Face...recorded off the airwaves of CHRW fall 1980 as this was a live to air from The Spoke And Rim (often this bootleg is referred to as the Spoke And Rimjob). I wasn't allowed into the event as i wasn't a student at Western so i stayed home and recorded it on my cassette deck. Opening for Teenage Head that evening were The Pointed Sticks (they also did a week gig at The Cedar) who were not overly happy about being given a very small part of the stage for their show and retaliated later that evening by flattening all of the tires on Teenage Head's truck.

4. The Stoves...Roller Coaster...from the cassette Domestic Animals and live at The Cedar 10/16/79. The first of many of the local bands that formed once the punk thing started happening here in London. This cassette was compiled by Peter Moore, who has since gone onto big things, producing Cowboy Junkies, remastering many re-issues for major bands and even doing movie and documentary soundtracks. He was a regular at The Cedar back then and recorded many bands with his styrofoam head with a microphone in each ear.
      And getting back to the Domestic Animals cassette, that was released without any of the bands prior knowledge....suddenly a cassette appeared and bands were hearing themselves on CHRW and some were not happy!! Hence a little later, a cassette compilation appeared called Animals Fight Back! in which all of the bands involved contributed the songs that they wanted to appear on the cassette. September 1984 was the date of issue and we'll be hearing a song from this cassette a little later on...

5. NFG...Cowboy Rock...recorded somewhere, sometime. Pretty vague, but this and the next song were provided by bass player Bob Gliddon. This features original guitar player (and songwriter) Simon.

6. NFG...Weekend Punx....as above.

7. NFG....Johnny B Goode...recorded live at The Cedar Easter 1981 and recorded off the CHRW airwaves. I remember being at this show and singer Scott tossing out fistfulls of NFG buttons as it was supposedly the end of the band. This was probably played on Simon Less's (subtle nickname of Peter Moore who was removed from the airwaves a couple of times for something or other) CHRW show as he would play live material on his show back in the late 70's/early 80's and i'd have the tape deck ready.

8. First Date....Good In Bed...recorded live at The Cedar 10/15/81. NFG evolved into 63 Monroe, who evolved into First Date for a few shows and then went back to 63 Monroe. Does that make sense? Thought not. This was their first show under this name and ironically Rena and i were on one of our first dates at this show. This might have been recorded by Kerry Piper.

9. Certain General...Party In My Brain....recorded live at the Cedar 8/21/81. Certain General were from NYC and featured Londoner (and former B Girl) Marcy Saddy on the tubs. They drove all day from NYC, got out of their vehicle and hopped on stage at The Cedar and this show was for Doug and Roze's Stag And Doe!! It was a great party that night with lots of other bands that night. It was also the night that someone took up Marky Burnaway (63 Monroe guitarist) on his dare to be the first guy in London to cut their hair in a pink mohawk. Can't remember how much money Marky was going to put up, but i think it came down to a vial of hash oil that may have been consumed in the men's washroom at The Cedar. Oh ya, and the pink mohawk belonged to Rob Leclaire! Shoulda had a camera with me that night!! There was lots of other crazy action going on that night and i remember getting home after the sun came up, changing into my work clothes and going right into work hungover as a dog. Oh to be young again!

10. The Zellots....Soldiers....from the same night as above.

11. Forgotten Rebels....White Trash....from the CD The Forgotten Rebels and recorded by Paul Kobak in the fall/winter of 1980 at The Cedar. The Forgotten Rebels made their first of many appearances at The Cedar in the summer of 1980. After their first show there, someone (not me) went a bit crazy with spray bombs and decorated the local disco with swastikas on the windows beside the doors, left some impolite messages on the UIC (Unemployment Insurance office...where you went when you were looking for a job) wall and probably other locations. I didn't bother to go to bed that night and happened to be riding my bike around the next day, saw some of the lettering and captured it on film. Some of those pics appear on facebook....
      Above...local disco hole with decorated windows...at one time these testosterone fused assholes would beat up on us punks.

12. Forgotten Rebels...I Think Of Her...as above. I remember Mickey giving me shit one show, and it was well justified. We were talking and Mickey was asking why there were so few people at the Cedar Lounge show and i told him that Carl Perkins was playing at Fryfogles that evening. Mickey proceeded to give me shit for missing this show and said that even he would have been there if he had known....hahaha...and i never did get to see Carl Perkins live.

13. Spiral Scratch...No Familiar Faces....recorded live at The Cedar 10/9/81. Spiral Scratch evolved from The Sinners (released 1 excellent 7") and singer Paul mentions the influx of metalheads into the scene at the beginning of this song....very true at the time.

14. Dead Rabbits...Watch Out...recorded live at The Cedar 10/9/81. Probably recorded on Kerry Piper's walkman as he was busy drumming in this combo.

15. Radio 4...Daytime/Night Time....recorded live at The Cedar 8/21/81. They started as The VD Teens, then Raw Dogs, then Radio 4 and eventually Sheep Look Up. A great local band that coulda and shoulda but didn't.

16. Radio 4...The Remedy....from the cassette compilation Animals Fight Back! An all London punk/new wave/whatever compilation mentioned above.

17. The Subhumans....Oh Canaduh!!! recorded live at the Cedar Lounge 6/12/81. Vancouver combo that was dearly loved in this town at the time as The Cedar was packed (or so i've been told) yet in Toronto, there were maybe 20 people out to see them at The Edge. I tried to talk to the band at The Edge show, but they were way pissed off about the situation. Oddly, The Edge closed its doors within days of this show.

18. Blue Peter....Same Old Place...recorded at Fryfogles 5/16/81. Blue Peter played many times at The Cedar but this is the only live recording i have of them. I remember being taken to Toronto to see Blue Peter open up for The Jam right around this time!

19. Simply Saucer...I Don't Care....me either, nor do i know where this was recorded, but it coulda been The Cedar Lounge as Simply Saucer played 5/16 to 5/19/79 at The Cedar. This recording was given to me by SS singer Edgar Breau when we had him on Radio WW a few years back.

20. 63 Monroe....Give 'Em Up...recorded on the last day of The Cedar Lounge, 5/1/82, recorded by sound guy Bob Klein and supplied to me by Danny Napalm.

21. Napalm Babys...Rock And Roll Part 3....as above. I didn't make it to the last day of The Cedar, i drank too much the night before and wasn't feeling well. And we really didn't think it would close it's doors for good, as it had closed for a short time prior to this. Oh well......

22. The Demics...The Grey and The Black...from the New York City CD on OPM..recorded live at The Cedar, but no date given. And that's a wrap as we end with the band we started this show with.
      Hope you enjoyed this live at The Cedar Lounge special as it was a fun show to do, digging through loads of old tapes looking for the best sound quality.

And this is just a warm up for our big show coming up on Oct 26th....Underground Graphics London: 1977 to 1990. This will be a visual display of the posters/art/zines of the era and it will be housed at The Forest City Gallery. There will be an opening night party at APK where we get 4 bands from the era to reunite for one show only.....The Zellots, The Enemas, NFG and Uranus. It'll be a killer show, so don't miss this one.

Here's a link to the start of the web page for the event...big thanx to Compudata for setting this up for us:

http://graphicundergroundlondon.ca/

Lots more to come on that site....stay tuned and keep checking back.

Here's the links to listen to the podcasts which will be up for 1 week only:

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1800.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1830.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3

• May 11, 2012 7:24 PM CDT
    • One of these days Mell.....when you least expect it I'll sneak up on you!!! Just to get even for all those facebook pokes!!!

• May 11, 2012 7:13 PM CDT
    • in person? never!

• May 11, 2012 6:17 PM CDT
    • Well ,they , and others like them , are entitled to what they can get.They've worked their balls off. From what I can see , Iggy's not hurting for money , but his little toe works harder than most of these younger , supposedly cutting edge bands , and people like him should be celebrated for staying in it for the long haul. 
       I admit , I have'nt listed to "Loco" in quite some time , but he never went away and he's never looked back , yeh < "Don't Look BAAAAAACK !!!!" And , I'm not referring to the SHAME of Boston , but , the PRIDE OF BOSTON'S SONG BY THAT NAME.... 
      MzAmar said:

I just saw Willie Loco Alexander play last night, he's 69 and he still looks and sounds great.  Decidedly rocking.  (I actually just looked up his age, I'm shocked!)  Iggy Pop is 65 now.  It's funny to think of he and Willie Loco trying to figure out Medicare Part D.  

I don't think anyone is too old to rock.  It's in your soul.  And I think rock keeps people young.  Rock is a wonderful thing.  

Y'all know I have a website devoted to this very topic, yes?  www.rockerzine.com.  I have spent a lot of time thinking about how rocking and age are not mutually exclusive.  

I have seen some people who are old and no longer rock (shall we name names?) and who should hang it up, but I salute those who keep on keeping on, despite how it gets harder to do as time goes by.  Nobody says about an old Blues or Jazz guy "aren't you a little old to do this?" but people feel free to say it to rock musicians who are just on the brink of middle age.  It's absurd.

• May 11, 2012 5:29 PM CDT
    • Nice site, Mz A. I just read the Brokaw interview. I've seen him play a few times with Evan Dando. Great player.

• May 11, 2012 9:12 AM CDT
    • I just saw Willie Loco Alexander play last night, he's 69 and he still looks and sounds great.  Decidedly rocking.  (I actually just looked up his age, I'm shocked!)  Iggy Pop is 65 now.  It's funny to think of he and Willie Loco trying to figure out Medicare Part D.  

I don't think anyone is too old to rock.  It's in your soul.  And I think rock keeps people young.  Rock is a wonderful thing.  

Y'all know I have a website devoted to this very topic, yes?  www.rockerzine.com.  I have spent a lot of time thinking about how rocking and age are not mutually exclusive.  

I have seen some people who are old and no longer rock (shall we name names?) and who should hang it up, but I salute those who keep on keeping on, despite how it gets harder to do as time goes by.  Nobody says about an old Blues or Jazz guy "aren't you a little old to do this?" but people feel free to say it to rock musicians who are just on the brink of middle age.  It's absurd.

• May 10, 2012 9:52 PM CDT
    • :)

URGENT FURY said:

Dude, you didn't have time to get old...

• May 10, 2012 7:02 PM CDT
    • I saw the Sloths a couple of months ago at the American Legion Hall in Highland Park. They're old AND they pretty much brought it. Now, they rocked in a different way than the Shag Rats that evening, but they rocked none the less.

• May 11, 2012 1:57 PM CDT
    • Alright my name is Wayne, I was born and raised in Thunder Bay On. Canada... I am 35 and have myself a happy little family.

For fun I do a radio show(couple times a month) on the local campus/community station www.luradio.ca on Thursdays 10-Midnight eastern standard time

I play in a band called Reverb Bomb we just put out an album... 

http://reverbbomb.bandcamp.com/

I also play bass in a Space Rock/Psychedelic called Murray!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXeXQN3ZtqQ

• May 11, 2012 10:18 AM CDT
    • Just added a bunch of audio files for episodes from AprilMay, and June 2003. Check 'em out!

As far as I can tell, that's ALL of the CD-Rs of my show that I recorded. They're all online now. I still have a good stack of cassette tapes to go through, though, so watch this thread for more audio files to be added hopefully soon.

• May 11, 2012 9:41 AM CDT
    • I just posted this article because I thought some people might find it interesting.  I was expecting the reaction to be mostly negative.  

As for the whole idea of resurrecting CBGB, I'm not too keen on it either.  CBGB was one of those things that happened during a specific time under a specific set of circumstances, and trying to revive it in our time just sounds too weird.  Most of the people who remember it will never accept it, and I don't know if it will catch on with a younger crowd.  BTW, I liked your "Pet Semetary" analogy:)  I read that book, so I know what you're talking about.

BTW, just a few doors down from where CBGB used to be is a really cool venue called the Bowery Electric.  I say let the deceased venues rest in peace, but support the new venues, because they really need it.

melissa scott said:

MikeL: since you posted the piece, what is your take on the announcement of CBGBs Mach II? You must have had a reason for posting the article link.

Some of use here -- gut reaction -- was clearly negative, but I was wondering if you or others on the Hideout have a different take on it? Is any venue better than none when it comes to the music scene in NYC? It's been a while since I've been there, so that's why I'm asking.

• May 10, 2012 8:13 PM CDT
    • MikeL: since you posted the piece, what is your take on the announcement of CBGBs Mach II? You must have had a reason for posting the article link.

Some of use here -- gut reaction -- was clearly negative, but I was wondering if you or others on the Hideout have a different take on it? Is any venue better than none when it comes to the music scene in NYC? It's been a while since I've been there, so that's why I'm asking.

• May 11, 2012 8:43 AM CDT
    • I also have the DVD which I got for my birthday a few years ago.  I think you can still get it on Amazon.  I have to say, ended up putting it on and it brought my party to a halt as we all sat around excitedly watching.  Fun!  It is a great movie, and interesting to see the bands they picked who became giant and those that didn't.  

• May 11, 2012 7:26 AM CDT
    • I got one of them and it is pretty cool! It cuts a lot of frequencies on the low end but it has a nice lo-fi sound with a little clip if you turn the volume you got on the mic itself.

If you put it trough and old tube preamp then you got the kind of "Sonics" vocal sound!

Obviously since it cuts frequencies once you can't go back to a normal vocals sound once you have recorded.

I really suggest to by one if you like that sound a telephone capsule might be too extreme!

I'll post some mp3's once I got the song mixed down...

• May 11, 2012 6:36 AM CDT
    • Apologies if I missed some kind of announcement but what happened to the Rock n Roll Suicide podcast? It was one of my favourites and I'm missing my lo-fi rock n roll fix! Shame it's ended so close to 100 episodes too.

If it has indeed gone for good can someone recommend one of the other current shows that plays the same kind of stuff? (I'm already a fan of 'House...' & 'Flying Saucer...')

Cheers!

• May 11, 2012 2:31 AM CDT
    • This one's weird.....Kind of , well , VERY grusome , so if you're easily grossed out , please ignore.

OK , i got 'em now.....

Screamin' Jay Hawkins' "Feast of The Mau Mau" - I always believed it to go (And still do.)

"Pull the skin off your friend with a razor blade"

Wait. It gets worse....

Someone swore that it went "Pull the STEM off your friend with a razor blade."

I said , "Stem?" , she said , "Yeah ,you know , dick !". Either that , or Jay greatly enjoyed Australian bands. But , his comments on touring with Nick Cave would suggest otherwise.

• May 10, 2012 7:09 PM CDT
    • 1.  Anything released by the Chesterfield Kings

2.  The Bleach Bloodz - "Pure Rock N Roll"

3.  The Mojomatics - "Don't Pretend That You Know Me"

• May 9, 2012 8:30 PM CDT
    • yeah vintage american guitars are pretty over the top all over the world i think. bit better here due to the dollar at the moment 

Winston Texas said:

Yup, probably why the dude is re-listing for the 3rd time. I don't know about where you live but American guitars have an outrageous mark-up here in the UK.