Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: At what age?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 26, 2013 6:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm not 50 but am over 40. I still wear ma combats and Doc Marten's with pride and a t shirt with anything from Mudhoney to the Kennedys an right thru Slint to The Scientists, and even a very old and holey Rob Jo Star Band T designed by an old girlfriend. Got maself 2 kids. I can often be seen hoverin' around the mosh pit and yes... I do occasionally(not always as when I was a 20 something) jump in for a grand old thump around. My wife rolls her eyes an tells me to grow up, I'm not a teenager anymore.... This really really fucks me off. So! What and when, in anyone's humble opinion, is the cut off age to this kinda behaviour and when should we trade in our Mclusky t shirts for a light cotton/wool mix jumper and chino's??? Please help!!! RAWWWWK!!! haha

• May 22, 2013 9:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think it's all up to you, I can't imagine changing what I like and the way I am just because I'm certain age. But I'll definitely stop moshing at some point. I don't think it'd be safe for my grandfather to jump in a mosh pit.

• May 22, 2013 2:17 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THERE'S A PRETTY GOOD DOCUMENTARY , MIKE , ON PRE - PUNK UK YOUTH CULTS - TEDS , MODS , SKINHEADS AND SOUL BOYS. DID'NT SEE THE WHOLE THING. BUT THEY INTERVIEWED TEDS WHO ARE PROBABLY IN THEIR 60'S , THEY REFUSED TO CHANGE. IF THEY HAD KIDS , THEIR KIDS WERE BROUGHT UP AS TEDS. IT IS'NT JUST THEM , BUT MODS, FR'INSTANCE , SEEMS THEY DID A FADE BY 1966 , BUT , THEN YOU HAD THE UK PSYCH SCENE , WHICH , IN PART , WAS AN EXTENSION OF MOD. MOD DID'NT SEEM TO HAVE A GOOD SIZE REVIVAL TIL THE JAM (TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION , I'D SAY THEY WERE MODERN DAY - MOD. WELLER CONSCIOUSLY WENT THRU MOST OF THE CHANGES THE MOD BANDS OF THE 60'S DID .), PURPLE HEARTS , SECRET AFFAIR ,etc.  Here in Chicago , they'd do Mod nights , but almost exclusively play Northern Soul , which , as a movement , did'nt take off til the early 70's, even if the records , of course , were  earlier . Sorry , could'nt hang with that stuff.       Most Skinheads I've seen around , sure , they looked like they shaved their heads. It was ritual , I think. But , I know a guy who shaved his head , because he liked to. He got jumped , and clobbered , because he was mistaken for a Neo - Nazi Skinhead , when he was'nt a Skinhead at all. Now , shaving your head is trendy. It does'nt signify anything , unless , I guess , you dress in such a way that there'd be no mistaking who you are......

I don't know , I think you should do what feels natural. I wear some kinds of things I wore 30 years ago , and somethat I've just taken a liking to,more recently. I've had Europeans tell me I look like a Ted , which is cool. I like the music  and the trappings (Except the violence  , tho' I'm  told that is'nt a big deal , anyore.) , but Teds are a British phenomenon that made it's way across Europe , just like Mods. They're not ours. America never had an equivalent. But , if people like it , and want to surround themselves with whatever comes with it , that's their call. I had an English friend tell me Britain is "The Land of Rockabilly." . I told him , no , it still came from the US. But , England , Germany , France , Scandanavia , and more recently , Eastern Europe , and other countries , picked up the ball when interest began to wane , back home. It's more popular here , now , but  so much of it is LAME (not all of it.).

• May 21, 2013 10:54 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I first read this thread a few of days ago but had to wait to contribute, sadly that means I'm repeating everyone, however... The sad fact is Rockabilly, Mod, Skinheads, Northern Soul, Punk or whatever, where started by kids, for kids and are youth cults. A lot of those kids were into it as a fashion or a fad and quickly 'grew out of it'. I've known kids starting out as Punks, then Mod, then Skin etc until finally 'becoming normal'.

As adults we are under a lot of pressure to act our age, from bosses, wives or friends. What does act our age mean? dress like our Parents / Grandparents? Go to a Gig, Dance, allnighter or Weekender containing music from any 50's-80's genre and you'll see a few 'normals' reliving their past but the vast majority are late 40's early 50's dressed in all the gear, having the time of their lives. Of course some of us, compromise and dress the part, so there's no mistaking what music - cult we still belong to, but without all the trappings. Jeans, Leathers, 40's, 50's or 60's suits but not the drapes, studs, patches or parkas. When was the last time you saw a Skinhead who wasn't naturally bald? For me, I grow old, I refuse to grow up, if growing up means dressing like a 50 year old direct from SAGA or from one of those cheap catalogues. What are you rebelling against? What have you got?

• May 19, 2013 11:22 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The older I get the less of a fuck I give & the more Rock&Roll speaks to me.

• May 13, 2013 7:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

True that. I found my bestest friend ever because of music and even let him marry me! Best decision I ever made. 

John Battles said:

It is. Don't think my friend does'nt like the sound of that word , either ! It's great when two people are on the same path , and , if you want to say music is'nt a BIG part of that , you may fool yourself, but you don't fool me.

• May 13, 2013 6:42 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ha ha. A mclusky t shirt would look good wi anything really!

SURFERFUZZ said:

Funny! My wife was telling me to grow up when I was 26 doing that, that part will never go away. I think a McLusky T would look good with chinos, you rule.
    • May 12, 2013 4:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wow , I just heard that song for the first time in years. Great Fuzztone. Could have been a Nancy and Lee song , but , the breaks were'nt right.

Megan Hawthorne said:

A cowboy's work is never done.
    • May 12, 2013 7:32 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Funny! My wife was telling me to grow up when I was 26 doing that, that part will never go away. I think a McLusky T would look good with chinos, you rule.
    • May 12, 2013 1:24 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A cowboy's work is never done.
    • May 8, 2013 7:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I´m pretty happy about the trend here! Fine! :)

• May 7, 2013 10:34 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It is. Don't think my friend does'nt like the sound of that word , either ! It's great when two people are on the same path , and , if you want to say music is'nt a BIG part of that , you may fool yourself, but you don't fool me.

Glenn Barton said:

The music of the Cramps is ageless. Why not the fans? Ex-wife, indeed!

John Battles said:

That's just it , we physically age , yes , though Lux and Ivy hardly seemed to (For the record , people that have seen Ivy in the last few years have told me she's doing great and looking great , though a return to music does'nt seem to be in the cards.), it does'nt mean we have to let go of our passions. I'd rather see someone turn their back on all this Junk Culture (I say that lovingly) because they found other interests of their own accord , not because so many people told them it's high time they stopped having fun. A friend's ex-wife told him to "Grow up" just because he wanted to see The Cramps in his mid - 30's , when by that time , this put him in the younger portion of the audience. Me , too , as I'm a couple of  years older. you'll note the use of the word "ex".  

• May 7, 2013 9:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Stick with what you like, new or old. Lots of us hear will find they can't help but do it. Not a matter of choice! Nuggets till I'm dead!

Mike said:

Lux & Ivy did set a template of sorts for defying age. Yes others are still out there playing at older ages, but the Cramps never became any type of oldies show. Lux could be just as outrageous at 60 and Ivy could still make the young boys drool. There were a few people I met in my youth that showed me you didn't have to conform when you got older, most were products of teenage hippiedom to give proper credit. I remember when I was about 17/18 and a girl I used to hang out with had her mom pick me up to go to a 4th of July function. So mom was probably only 38 or so, but that seemed so much older to me at the time, but when I get in the car "Helium Bar" by the Weirdos is playing and it is mom's cassette, not my friend's. I get to the house and there's a Rezillos photo on the kitchen wall and a collection of Ed Roth related models in the living room as well as damn near every episode of the Munsters on VHS, oh and a Robert Williams painting or two! I was in awe. Her parents worked and had their home and were raisng two daughters, yet were hep on the past and the present. Really opened my eyes to the idea of not having to "grow up" to be a grown up.

John Battles said:

People are living longer , these days. Each year sees at least a few people checking out at age 114. I just saw an interview with Lux Interior where he maintained that while Rock'n'Roll IS teenage music , it's scope is'nt limited to any specific age group . Anyone who wants to play it , can , and he sure lived to prove THAT. BUT "ROCK" music , he added , is for older people who no longer feel the Teenage Rage. A good friend of mine lost his Mother at the age of 93. A few years earlier , she bought us each a Johnny Thunders T- shirt. She even requested they let her wear a Ramones T-shirt under her hospital gown , when she was nearing the end. It's not so much that she was a fan , as that's how she wanted to keep her Son close by when he could'nt be there . So , you see , despite our best combined efforts , Rock'n'Roll has bridged the generation gap. 

• May 7, 2013 9:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The music of the Cramps is ageless. Why not the fans? Ex-wife, indeed!

John Battles said:

That's just it , we physically age , yes , though Lux and Ivy hardly seemed to (For the record , people that have seen Ivy in the last few years have told me she's doing great and looking great , though a return to music does'nt seem to be in the cards.), it does'nt mean we have to let go of our passions. I'd rather see someone turn their back on all this Junk Culture (I say that lovingly) because they found other interests of their own accord , not because so many people told them it's high time they stopped having fun. A friend's ex-wife told him to "Grow up" just because he wanted to see The Cramps in his mid - 30's , when by that time , this put him in the younger portion of the audience. Me , too , as I'm a couple of  years older. you'll note the use of the word "ex".  

• May 7, 2013 2:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• May 7, 2013 1:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Lux & Ivy did set a template of sorts for defying age. Yes others are still out there playing at older ages, but the Cramps never became any type of oldies show. Lux could be just as outrageous at 60 and Ivy could still make the young boys drool. There were a few people I met in my youth that showed me you didn't have to conform when you got older, most were products of teenage hippiedom to give proper credit. I remember when I was about 17/18 and a girl I used to hang out with had her mom pick me up to go to a 4th of July function. So mom was probably only 38 or so, but that seemed so much older to me at the time, but when I get in the car "Helium Bar" by the Weirdos is playing and it is mom's cassette, not my friend's. I get to the house and there's a Rezillos photo on the kitchen wall and a collection of Ed Roth related models in the living room as well as damn near every episode of the Munsters on VHS, oh and a Robert Williams painting or two! I was in awe. Her parents worked and had their home and were raisng two daughters, yet were hep on the past and the present. Really opened my eyes to the idea of not having to "grow up" to be a grown up.

John Battles said:

People are living longer , these days. Each year sees at least a few people checking out at age 114. I just saw an interview with Lux Interior where he maintained that while Rock'n'Roll IS teenage music , it's scope is'nt limited to any specific age group . Anyone who wants to play it , can , and he sure lived to prove THAT. BUT "ROCK" music , he added , is for older people who no longer feel the Teenage Rage. A good friend of mine lost his Mother at the age of 93. A few years earlier , she bought us each a Johnny Thunders T- shirt. She even requested they let her wear a Ramones T-shirt under her hospital gown , when she was nearing the end. It's not so much that she was a fan , as that's how she wanted to keep her Son close by when he could'nt be there . So , you see , despite our best combined efforts , Rock'n'Roll has bridged the generation gap. 

• May 7, 2013 9:26 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well said sir!

Chris Henniker said:

I think Malcolm and Cressida are advising Sting, Bonio and Chris Martin of Oldgay on how to be a more pretentious twat and win friends at the same time. Tantri sex and tax evasion are two subjects on their syllabus, along with shoddy thinking. Taquin is looking on in astonishment as people lap up the lack of common sense and even John Lennon turns in his grave, generating enough electricity to run the whole Merseyside.
    • May 7, 2013 6:36 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I think Malcolm and Cressida are advising Sting, Bonio and Chris Martin of Oldgay on how to be a more pretentious twat and win friends at the same time. Tantri sex and tax evasion are two subjects on their syllabus, along with shoddy thinking. Taquin is looking on in astonishment as people lap up the lack of common sense and even John Lennon turns in his grave, generating enough electricity to run the whole Merseyside.
    • April 12, 2013 12:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• April 12, 2013 12:15 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Damn right! I'm 55 and rippin' thru "Journey To The Center Of The Mind" every time The Shreds Of Evidence hit the stage. As if that ain't enough, we tac "Ride My See Saw" on the front of it and rip seamlessly from one to the other. It's just under 8 minutes of psychedelic thunder. It's become known as the showstopper. Starts of with spot-on Graham Edge "Departure" poetry intro. Looking for that outdoor festival gig!

• April 11, 2013 11:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Man, you don't need no help.  Keep doing your thing.  I'm 49 and counting.  Yeah, I'm the old geezer at the garage punk shows digging the music and drooling over the young honeys.  As long as the music moves me and I can still move, I'll keep rawkin'!  There's no expiration date on enjoying raw, loud rock-n-roll.

• April 9, 2013 7:41 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Totally. Fuckers wi their cellphones! does my crust right in. Was at a gig in Aberdeen with Future of the Left (ex Mclusky, check'em both out). Andy the lead singer fellah jumped into the crowd, squared up to some cocky little fucker and his phone. Grabbed it threw it to the back of the room, told the guy and his friend to fuck off and buy their music.  he then turned to the crowd and said 'Anyone else want a picture?' Classic!

• April 8, 2013 10:34 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I recently went to see The Hives and I couldn't help myself. Although I lasted much less time going counter clock wise than I used to...I remember in 1996 I attended a Warp Tour stop and when Pennywise started covering Black Flag songs I had this feeling that I never wanted to leave my body. I wish I could bottle that feeling up and let the eye rollers have a glimpse...So with the digital age firmly here and people going to concerts and watching the whole damn thing through a phone/camera (so effing annoying BTW), us old dudes are extremely relevant. Keep it up pops!

• April 8, 2013 9:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Stickin' with it! It gives me great pleasure to see punks of all ages sportin their wears and keeping the heritage alive. I just love punks man.
    • April 8, 2013 2:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

YES!

Is very funny to me as his room looks almost like mines.  
      He has john Wayne, i got a star-trek´s Klingon, got a DDR-flag too, lots of chain-lights, a water-pipe and almost the same chaos! ;D

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel