Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Regional Garage Comps?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 5, 2013 1:23 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This is for the record collectors, although CDs are good too. I need some new targets on my record collecting radar, and I'm currently diggin' region-specific garage compilations. Stuff like "Brazilian Nuggets", "Sympathetic Sounds of Detroit", "Signed DC", "Texas Garage Punkers" (there's actually several good ones from Texas)... comps within the lo-fi world that include bands from just one city or state or region or country. These sorts of albums are so anthropological, they're like mini-anthologies of individual scenes, it's my new collection-related addiction. But so many are so obscure that it's hard to even find titles to start hunting for. Anybody have some suggestions? Any genres represented on The Hideout are fair game.

• April 25, 2013 10:27 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Check out Shiftless Decay from X! Records.  That's probably my favorite relevant garage/punk/psych compilation.  Lots of awesome bands like Timmy's Organism, The Frustrations, Heroes and Villians ETC.  I think they put it out in 2009 when that whole Detroit scene was REALLY kickin'.

• April 22, 2013 5:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There is a great comp of all N.C. Sixties garage called tobacco-a-go-go. It was released around 84. Also check out some of the cool stuff Munster records has.
    • April 18, 2013 1:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hello:

I have collected 45's, acetates, demos, and 7' tapes from various garage bands from the central San Joaquin Valley during the 1960's.  Most never recorded anything on vinyl and if they did it was regional.  My collection now numbers over 160 tracks with photos.  You can take a look at www.thebrymers.com.  Then, click on the San Joaquin Valley Bands tab.  soem great garage sounds came in and around the Fresno area during the 60's.

Dick Lee

• April 17, 2013 3:40 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Not garage as such, but a friend of ours has been creating "Punk Across The Globe" compilations. I think he's done about 6 of them so far.

• April 17, 2013 3:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Also check out the Colorado garage/punk compilation Rocky Mountain Low, which among many other interesting gems has four songs by the Healers, Jello Biafra's band before the Dead Kennedys, including the original version of "California Uber Alles."

• April 17, 2013 6:52 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That "It Came from the Garage II" was a good one.  Besides the Detroit bands below, it also had couple of tunes from Nine Pound Hammer on it.

I always thought the tone for the whole album was set with this crazy tune by Art Phag:

John Battles said:

"It Came From The Garage " (2 volumes?) Early Gories , Elvis Hitler , 3D Invisibles, Snake - Out , etc.

• March 29, 2013 1:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I highly recommend "Cambodian Psych-Out" as Cambodia is (was) an especially underrated region. All of the musicians on it were killed by the Khmer Rouge.

• March 12, 2013 1:58 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Coming vinyl 7" with 4 duos from different countries of the world:
      Chiquita y Chatarra (Spain), Horror Deluxe (Brazil), The Suck's (Colombia) and Los Chicos Problema (Mexico), released under the mexican label Veneno Records.
      Design and Illustration by Mario Labate
      Produced by Geovanni Chavez and Ana Galicia
      Soon!! available in black, white and transparent.
      For pre, orders,information:
      info@venenorecords.com
      info.rockduos@gmail.com
    • March 8, 2013 10:49 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Roberto, you fuckin' rule. Awesome stuff!

• March 7, 2013 8:10 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sweet comp, that's totally the kind of recent stuff I was looking for. Any chance you know of any older material from your area? So little Eastern European stuff makes it's way to the US, but I know there was lots of vinyl in that part of the world back in the day. Thanks a lot for pointing out this album, and you can't beat a free download.

roberto milic said:

Here is an interesting compilation of contemporary bands (punk, garage...) from this part of Europe (Croatia, Serbia, Slovenia).
      http://eroticbiljanandhisheretics.bandcamp.com/album/ex-yu-rocknrol...

• February 12, 2013 10:39 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Y'all are killin' it, exactly the kind of suggestions I was hoping for. "Searching In The Wilderness" just went to the top of my list.

• February 9, 2013 12:18 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Since I'm from Virginia, I recommend checking out Aliens, Psychos and Wild Things volumes 1, 2, and 3.  It's a compilation series of sixties era Virginia garage bands.  Also, there is an excellent documentary out on DVD call Hardcore Norfolk that focuses of the Norfolk, VA underground rock scene of the 80's and 90's.  It really is a great and well made film.  I highly recommend you check it out.  Here's a link to the trailer: http://www.hardcorenorfolk.com/index.php/movie

There is also a companion CD to the film which is great also.

• February 8, 2013 7:08 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Shameless plug....we just released What Wave #24,  (a zine we did from the mid 80's to early 90's) a zine that was put to bed in 1996 and resurrected this past year as part of a project called  Graphics Underground: London 1977-1990 ( a visual display of the posters and zines from London Ontario that was on display at a local art gallery). Here's a link:

http://graphicundergroundlondon.ca/

With this ish of What Wave,we did a 90m cassette of all London Ontario Canada bands from about 1978 to 1992, almost all unreleased tracks.  The music ranges from 77 punk, artpunk, biker rock, garagepunk, hardcore to straight rock'n'roll. Most of it would probably appeal to members of the Hideout...

The zine itself probably wouldn't, as it's over 100 pages documenting the band family trees from London Ontario in the time frame of mid 70's to the early 90's when grunge sorta took over...we sell them for $10 at the local record stores. But if anyone's interested we can sell them by mail, but the postage is killer due to the size...

Here's a link to the facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/What-Wave-Records/117360351668515?fref=ts

end of shameless plug and i'll go back to lurking.

• February 7, 2013 12:56 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There's  stuff out there , I can't think of all  the titles ,  tho'. Of course , England had The Electric Sugar Cube Flashbacks and Rubble. Australia had Ugly Things ,New Zealand has the highly recommended Wild Things . Japan has the great "G.S. , I LoveYou" , and the earlier "Teen Trash From Tokyo". If you don't have "Nuggets 2" already , it WILL open your ears and your mind to all kinds of international Psych and Freakbeat. Mexico has some cool comps , too. I found one that covers Garage , Psych and early Hard Rock. The "Love Peace and Poetry " series covers many cOuntries , tho , as I take it , it's the more mellowed out stuff. mAYBE NOT ALL OF IT..................

• February 6, 2013 9:20 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Those are some good lists, thanks a lot! Detroit & Texas sure seem to be heaviest on regional comps (for obvious reasons, I suppose). I'll definitely look up those Canadian albums, there's always so much good unknown stuff coming out of Canada.

Anybody know of older material (or re-issues of older material) from 60s or 70s? I've trolled all the usual avenues (like the catalogs of Norton, Crypt) for what they may have, but I know that many of these records were only sold within the regions they represented, so private presses and small runs on tiny record labels are where the good stuff is at. 

Also really interested in comps, old or new, from countries other than the US. Specific countries of interest are: Spain, France, UK, Italy, Japan, and Brazil. They've all had incredible underground music scenes at one time or another, and there's bound to be some comps floating around - any international folks have some hints?

• February 6, 2013 1:23 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Here's 4, entirely out of left-field: Click here, then click "discography" in the top-right.

Three are theODcollective Compilations, Vol.'s 1-3; Vol. 1 was all B.C., Canada-area bands, released in 2006 and mostly current (some earlier) punk, metal, garage, crust, thrash, glam, even spoken word and acoustic, mostly from Vancouver, Victoria. Vol. 2 was again mostly Vancouver-area bands, but a little less diverse, and Vol. 3 was the most random, genre-wise.

And the fourth is First Breath of Defiance, a compilation of Canadian and Russian bands, mostly punk on the Canadian side (thrash, blackened crust, hardcore, etc.), and mostly punk and metal/noise on the Russian side (sludge, hardcore, pop-punk, etc.).

No ads or bullshit on the site, free downloads, etc.

• February 5, 2013 11:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just a few Texas comps - Epitaph For a Legend (International Artists comp w/ 13th Floor Elevators , Red Krayola , Lightnin' Hopkins , Electric Rubiyat , Emperors , Lost and Found , etc.) .    International Artists Collection (Great singles comp - Elevators , Bubble Puppy , Lost and Found , etc.) , Texas Flashbacks (5 volumes , all great.) , Austin Landing (Elevators (Live , 73) , Roy Head w/ Johnny and Edgar Winter , Five By Five , Bubble Puppy , Stereo Shoecase .) , Acid Visions - Stoics , Johnny Winter, Scotty McKay w/ Jimmy Page , etc.) Mindbenders one (Similar to previous , but with The Moving Sidewalks' 45 sides , too.).

Ft. Worth Teen Scene  (Norton).

• February 5, 2013 11:18 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

LOOK FOR THE HIDEOUT RECORDS COMPS . THE FIRST WAS A CD WITH ALMOST ALL OF BOB SEGER'S KILLER EARLY SIDES , THE PLEASURE SEEKERS , THE MUSHROOMS (PRE - SUCK GLEN FREY)  AND OTHERS.  IT WAS'NT EXACTLY LEGIT (HA HA) , BUT , NORTON RELEASED A SIMILARCOMP , ON THE UP AND UP. ALSO "MICHIGAN ROCKS" IS A GOOD PRIMER (MC5 , STOOGES , SRC , RATIONALS ,THIRD POWER , AMBOY DUKES , MITCH RYDER'S DETROIT".) , The "Motor City  Connection'' covered (Relatively ) new and old - Gories , ? and The Mysterians , Scott Morgan , Sillies , Ramrods , and so forth......)

"It Came From The Garage " (2 volumes?) Early Gories , Elvis Hitler , 3D Invisibles, Snake - Out , etc.

The Ungodly 77s said:

I am from the Detroit area, so here is my recommendation for that slice of the world...

These are tough to find, but I am sure they are out there (at the very least, iTunes), but here is a link to the Ghettoblaster series of comps put out by the Motor City Brewery and recorded by Jim Diamond. Several great and now-legendary Detroit garage bands used to perform at the brewery and Diamond recorded the live performances (the brewery is located in the Cass corridor and is a favorite local hangout for garage rockers of that ilk).

There were some great takes captured live. Check it out:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/ghettoblaster-a-detroit-sampler-vol-1...

There were at least a couple volumes and they all rock.

• February 5, 2013 7:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Great recommendations, thanks! I've got vol 2 of the Ghettoblaster series, and it rules, but of course it's all of the usual Detroitian suspects. Landlocked And Loaded is a new one to me, it looks awesome and the free download is nice. Another easy ipod upgrade.

Very nice, thank you, keep those suggestions comin'

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel