Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Regional Forums Continental U.S.
  • Topic: Help with the Deep South

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 20, 2011 7:37 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Specifically Alabama and Mississippi.  Assuming I don't get blown away  by a tornado, I'll be in Mobile, Montgomery, Tupelo, Oxford, Vicksburg  and Biloxi starting April 29.  It looks a little sparse as far as rock goes so please give me some pointers for fun clubs, record stores, bars, cafes.  And if  there are any good radio stations as I drive from place to place so I'm not stuck with Christian stuff.  I can always turn on the iPhone and listen too but would be nice to find local college stations, or even decent classic rock.  Got a feeling they're few and far between.  Feel  free to email joanie@wmbr.org.  Thanks.
    • April 26, 2011 1:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

So what's a poor northern gal supposed to do on a Sunday nite in Montgomery?  I'll take a fancy cocktail at an interesting bar at this point if there are no rock options that day.
    • April 26, 2011 1:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Kill, Baby...Kill! will be coming through Tuscaloosa on Friday, June 24th at The Green Bar. We are playing with Piss Shivers. Mark your calendar and be sure to introduce yourself.

• April 26, 2011 12:34 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Admittedly, I am doubtless out of touch.  Thanks for correcting me.  I will watch for those bands & y'all!
    • April 26, 2011 10:07 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No Garage Scene? What the hell... You guys have Necronomikids and Piss Shivers. Also, Diakaiju plays there all the time. Even more, my band Kill, Baby...Kill! play Egan's quarterly....
    • April 26, 2011 9:14 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oz Music in T-town is good, not great.  No garage scene here to speak of (we sort of have the Dexateens--most members live in Bham & do their main projects [e.g., 13 Ghosts]--& a smokin' hot tween band called The Motions, but I don't think any of the UA students know about them).  Not worth going out of your way for, but if you happen to take 20/59, might as well.
    • April 26, 2011 8:49 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Thanks for the info on Alabama Music Box and Head on the Door.  Decent show at AMB one nite I'm in Mobile.  Is HOTD open on Sun.?  That's the only nite I'm in Mont.  I know it's not a music nite if it is open.  I'm afraid my route is now set in stone so if it's not Mob, Mont, Tup, Oxf, Vicks or Biloxi/Gulfport, I won't be seeing it.  Any other bars, cafes, or record stores to recommend?  Is Oz Music in Tuscaloosa good?  Does Purple Haze or Uncle Bucks in Oxford still exist?  Thanks.

• April 25, 2011 3:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Bottle Tree is good club in Birmingham.
    • April 20, 2011 8:11 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Never forget that the 'Deep South' is where rock'n roll came from.
    • April 20, 2011 8:11 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

In Montgomery, check into a venue called Head on the Door. They don't charge cover and have freakin great bands. Also, a hop, skip and a jump from there is Auburn, which has a great venue called The Independent. There have been stirings in Mobile about a place called The Alabama Music Box. Also, not too far from Mobile is Pensacola, FL, which has Sluggos and The Handle Bar.  Oxford is supposed to have some great rock venues but we have yet to connect there. Also, if you are that close to Memphis, you would be doing yourself an injustice not to check out their scene. It is one of our fav. towns to play.

FYI, despite what some may believe, the southeast is not dominated by religious radio station. Well, I can speak for Alabama, Florida and Georgia. I did have an experience driving to Arkansas years ago. The entire trip through Mississippi was nothing but doomsday prophecy on the radio.

Auburn has a good college station. It is 91.1 and you can usually pick it up in the Montgomery area.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel