Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Hideout Comp Series

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 7, 2012 11:56 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Are bands that have already been on the compilation series being considered for this special edition, or still just bands which havent been on the comps?

• June 7, 2012 11:38 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm honored to announce that Stephen Blickenstaff, the iconic artist who did the cover art for the Cramps' Bad Music for Bad People LP (1983) will be designing the cover art for a special Halloween-themed volume of the comp series with a target release date of early October. I'm beyond thrilled! Oh, and Haunted George (aka Uncle Yah-Yah of the Haunted Shack Theater podcast) will be pulling together some b-movie/horror film soundbites to sandwich in between the songs. Muhahaha!! BANDS: Get your creepiest original songs in as soon as you can for this! Deadline will be September 16.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• June 7, 2012 8:11 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Stephen, please get in touch (shoot me a direct message). I have an idea for Vol. 9 for you. Thanks!

Stephen Blickenstaff said:

I'd love to do some artwork for the Hideout Comp series.

• June 4, 2012 1:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I thought it was for the last volume. The track "Puppy Dog".
      I'll have a dig around and see what else we have that would be a suitable contender.

Thanks! :)

kopper said:

No, they don't need to be resubmitted. I keep them all on file. Although if it's been a few volumes since you submitted, there's not a good chance it'll get used. If that's the case, you're welcome to submit another song.

Derek Kosky said:

Kopper,

Do tracks submitted for the previous comp get considered for the next one, or do they need to be resubmitted?

• June 4, 2012 1:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No, they don't need to be resubmitted. I keep them all on file. Although if it's been a few volumes since you submitted, there's not a good chance it'll get used. If that's the case, you're welcome to submit another song.

Derek Kosky said:

Kopper,

Do tracks submitted for the previous comp get considered for the next one, or do they need to be resubmitted?

• June 4, 2012 12:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Kopper,

• June 4, 2012 12:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

We'll keep you in mind for Vol. 10... currently have artists lined up for the next two.

Stephen Blickenstaff said:

• June 4, 2012 12:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• April 18, 2012 4:58 PM CDT
    • Untitled

If you do it through CD Baby, it's a one time fee. At least it was last time I did it. 

kopper said:

Oh, and one more thing: The TuneCore fees for distribution of the comps to all the major online music retailers (iTunes, Amazon, eMusic, Spotify, Rhapsody, etc.) costs $50/year per volume. 

• April 18, 2012 4:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

yup, no problem

• April 18, 2012 1:09 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Spot on Kopper.

Don't forget ALL members even non active, also get loads of FREE podcasts too, and all we're asking is for you to post a quick comment to let us know your out there and listening. 
      Bands are also waiting for you to interact and share their sounds with others.

Participation oils the wheels to this site, so please get involved and support Kopper and this unique site. Mr A

• April 18, 2012 12:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh, and one more thing: The TuneCore fees for distribution of the comps to all the major online music retailers (iTunes, Amazon, eMusic, Spotify, Rhapsody, etc.) costs $50/year per volume. So, Ning hosting fees aside, that's an extra $350 for the first year of digital distribution for the first seven volumes right there, and that's not counting the first two volumes, which I've just spent another $100 on renewing for another year. Right now, they're selling enough to cover these distribution fees, but at some point in the future they'll stop selling all that well and I'll have to take them down. At that point I'll probably just throw in the towel and make 'em free for everybody.

• April 18, 2012 12:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The point of the GRGPNK Records group is not to let just anybody who wants the comps have them for free. The reason it's private is so that we can control access to the free downloads. When I first came up with the idea for the comps, I wanted to just give 'em all away for free to anyone who wanted one. But some people thought that was a stupid idea; that we should sell them and use the money to help fund the site and pay for Ning's hosting fees. Others thought they should be free since the bands weren't sharing in any revenue. One of the biggest problems I noticed right away after the release of the first volume was that people started joining the Hideout specifically to get access to the free comps. Aside from that, they didn't really care about the site or being a member of a rock'n'roll community; they just wanted free music. Lame. So I knew I had to do something to fix this, and the compromise I came up with was to use the GRGPNK Records group as a private, members-only area that's used to reward those members who remain actively involved with the site (at least a few times per month)... those who visit regularly, contribute/post often, invite friends, chat, share content... you know, PARTICIPATE! That's what the Hideout is all about. Without active participation from a good chunk of people, this site would be worthless. So we're rewarding those "active members" by letting them download the comps free of charge. The rest of the people (the majority of our members) who do not actively participate will have to pay for them, but at less than $10 per volume, it's not asking a whole lot from them. So I would suggest, if you really want the comps for free, then you should start visiting more often and making more of an effort to be part of the community we've built here over the past decade. If you can't or don't want to make that effort, fine, but you'll have to pay for the comps. Again, they're cheap enough that that shouldn't really be asking too much. Make sense?

SWAHILI BOB said:

I guess I'm just not active enough - I come here & read a lot but don't post much

• April 17, 2012 6:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I guess I'm just not active enough - I come here & read a lot but don't post much

• April 17, 2012 7:56 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Of course. Nowhere does it say you need a Facebook account. What made you think that, anyway?

SWAHILI BOB said:

is there any way to get the download without a Facebook account?

I'm a tryin to stay off the grid

• April 16, 2012 8:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for another Comp, Kopper. These are handy to have when doing house hold chores or lazing about relaxing with a beer.

Cheers!

• April 16, 2012 5:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

is there any way to get the download without a Facebook account?

I'm a tryin to stay off the grid

• April 16, 2012 10:53 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes it is!

http://garagepunk.ning.com/page/we-love-trash

Wipeout! said:

So is today the big day fer vol. 7?

• April 16, 2012 10:43 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

So is today the big day fer vol. 7?

• April 4, 2012 11:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well, yeah, the deadline for the next volume. However, you can continue to submit songs for future volumes.

Thanks.

Steffan said:

Has the deadline for this passed? My band The RaptorDactyls uploaded a song last night, but i forgot to think wether the deadline is already passed!

• April 4, 2012 7:37 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Has the deadline for this passed? My band The RaptorDactyls uploaded a song last night, but i forgot to think wether the deadline is already passed!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel