Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Surf Punk Bands

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 29, 2010 7:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I know that surf music doesn't generally have vocals, but the few surf punk bands I've heard seem to. I just wanted to see if anyone knows of any other surfpunk bands to check out....other than agent orange of course!:)
    • March 30, 2013 6:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Alder Kings , I've never heard of , but , there's always been a Surf scene in The Chicago Suburbs , AFTER THE BIG SURF SCARE OF '95-'97 ENDED.

The modern Surf/Instrumental scene in Chicago begins and ends with The Greaseballs. They could not be touched. They were only around from about '86 TO '90 , BUT HAVE RECORDED AND PERFORMED , SPORADICALLY , SINCE.   Bill Bulinski , their Lead Guitarist , was the original axeman with The Electras (As in "Dirty Old Man" and "Action Woman".).

Spies Who Surf were The Greaseballs' friendly rivals. In terms of popularity , they won. But , they went from being an MTV-ish sounding take on Surf to a Jazz - oriented , not so Surf-sounding Instrumental Rock. I saw several of the original band members perform "The Ventures in Space" a few years back , tho' , and they were ON FIRE !!!

The Defoliants were going on at the same time , but , as I noted , earlier ,
      whenever I saw them , they were mostly New Wavish vocal - Rock , WITH THE OCCASIONAL SURF iNSTRUMENTAL. OBVIOUSLY , THEY WERE INFLUENCED BY AGENT ORANGE (CHECK THEIR NAME.) , BUT, EVEN THEY STEPPED UP TO THE MIKE , SOMETIMES......

Kill, Baby...Kill! said:

Kill,Baby...Kill! - Anniston, AL www.reverbnation.com/killbabykillal

Daikaiju - Huntsville, AL www.daikaiju.net

Necronomikids - Tuscaloosa, AL

Alder Kings - Chicago

Guantanamo Baywatch - Portland, OR

The Icepicks - Maine

Coffin Daggers - NY

El Fossil - Atlanta, GA

The Summer Creeps - Roswell, GA

Team Void - Dayton, OH

I could honestly keep going all day with this list. The genre is blowing up, nation wide.

• January 4, 2013 8:56 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , The Defoliants were from Chicago. Their Guitar player owns a bar , now , Club Foot.

I never considered 'em Surf - oriented , myself , but , i never heard their studio stuff. Whenever I saw them live,they seemed kinda New Wavish , influenced by Devo and the like. Once , I saw them do "Pipeline" and "Penetration" , but , otherwise , it was all vocal and little Surf influence to be detected , though I know they were huge fans of it.

William said:

There's a cool band called the Defoliants I recently came across. I guess I'd give 'em the surf-punk tag. check out the 'hang ten' e.p. , if you can find it;) I guess it's a hard genre (if it really is one) to determine. I suppose it would differ on people's idea of "surf" and "punk" music...
    • April 9, 2012 9:23 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Kill,Baby...Kill! - Anniston, AL www.reverbnation.com/killbabykillal

Daikaiju - Huntsville, AL www.daikaiju.net

Necronomikids - Tuscaloosa, AL

Alder Kings - Chicago

Guantanamo Baywatch - Portland, OR

The Icepicks - Maine

Coffin Daggers - NY

El Fossil - Atlanta, GA

The Summer Creeps - Roswell, GA

Team Void - Dayton, OH

I could honestly keep going all day with this list. The genre is blowing up, nation wide.

• April 9, 2012 4:47 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey we are a Dutch surf band called the Phantom Four (old members of Treble Spankers) and we just did release a surf punk album with vocals. Just let us know what you guys think. Record gets great reviews in Holland but we would like to know what people outside Holland think. You can check out the songs on our profile. Btw we love Agent Orange and played with them in the past!

• June 30, 2011 2:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Creepy Creeps?
    • June 29, 2011 10:33 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You never considered them surf? They always had a heavy surf influence. If you see them these days they are TOTALLY a surf punk band and mostly play the surf circuit.

ratoonie said:
      agent orange!!!!...... i never considerd those guys surf!! but i was Living in S.F. at the time ......83....?????
      I think therye back togethr?!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel