Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Drive Invasion 2012

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 25, 2012 2:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Most of the time I hate living in Atlanta (traffic, heat, pollen...), but there are a few redeeming qualities, one of which is our thriving lowbrow scene. Also, Labor Day weekend is always super awesome in Atlanta because not only do we host the nerd fabulous Dragon*Con, but also the Official World Famous Drive Invasion

Every year my husband and my friends set up a tent in the parking lot of the Starlight Drive In Theatre next to a bevy of hot rods to drink lots of beer, listen to awesome garage, surf, and rockabilly bands all day, and then watch fun movies at night (this year will be Blade Runner, Big Trouble in Little China, and Blackula).  The music headliner for the 2012 Drive Invasion is the Black Lips, so if you live in the Atl or within striking distance you should head over to the Starlight on Sept. 2nd.

• August 28, 2012 9:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Typically, it is held Labor Day weekend, and has been just on Sunday the past few years, but in 2010 it was held in October for some reason.

Zachary Griffin said:

Alison,
      I read your post about it going from a 3 day to a 1 day event. In google-researching the event since seeing your original post I gather that Dragon-Con (which I went to in 1995) had something to do with this. I have decided that I am coming down for Drive Invasion next year. Because of my line of work I need to make arrangements almost a full year in advance. I need to know 2 things.
      1. Is Drive Invasion always the Sunday before Labor Day?
      2. Is Dragon-Con always the weekend before Labor Day (When I went it was in June or July...Since I will be in the area, might as well make a return trip for a day)?

Thanks for your help.

• August 27, 2012 8:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Lizardmen played the very first Drive-invasion back in '99 I think. Fun show, hot as hell that day!
    • August 27, 2012 8:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Alison,
      I read your post about it going from a 3 day to a 1 day event. In google-researching the event since seeing your original post I gather that Dragon-Con (which I went to in 1995) had something to do with this. I have decided that I am coming down for Drive Invasion next year. Because of my line of work I need to make arrangements almost a full year in advance. I need to know 2 things.
      1. Is Drive Invasion always the Sunday before Labor Day?
      2. Is Dragon-Con always the weekend before Labor Day (When I went it was in June or July...Since I will be in the area, might as well make a return trip for a day)?

Thanks for your help.

• August 27, 2012 6:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Alison , I've heard a lot of cool things about this event , but , now I'm almost in shock.    Mary Woronov
      came to Chicago and appeared at two separate screenings of "Death Race 2000" and "Rock 'n'Roll High School", about 5 years ago. She was very cool and funny , and still looks great. Real class act , she is.  

Alison said:

I have been to quite a few and my highlights would include seeing Roky Erickson (he played almost all of The Evil One), Mary Wornov (one year they showed Rock N Roll High School and she made an appearance), Wanda Jackson (she told Elvis stories), and The Blasters (my favorite performance).  The festival used to be all three days of Labor Day weekend, but it has shrunk down in recent years to just one day of concentrated mayhem.  There are plenty of families with children of various ages - often riding around in go-carts and scooters, so perhaps you should just kidnap the family and come on down!

• August 27, 2012 5:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I have been to quite a few and my highlights would include seeing Roky Erickson (he played almost all of The Evil One), Mary Wornov (one year they showed Rock N Roll High School and she made an appearance), Wanda Jackson (she told Elvis stories), and The Blasters (my favorite performance).  The festival used to be all three days of Labor Day weekend, but it has shrunk down in recent years to just one day of concentrated mayhem.  There are plenty of families with children of various ages - often riding around in go-carts and scooters, so perhaps you should just kidnap the family and come on down!

• August 27, 2012 11:26 AM CDT
    • Untitled

I have friggin' been dying to make it to one of these, but being a family man, it never pans out. I've seen in the past that the Fleshtones, Jason & the Scorchers, and the Cynics have played there, and being that Atlanta is only a 7 hour drive for me, I've thought about more than once about going "missing" from home! Have you been able to make all of them? Which bands have you gotten to see?

• August 25, 2012 4:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If work didn't get in the way, I would have booked a flight from Connecticut just to go to this.  If this is still going on next year, chances are I will make it down there.

• August 25, 2012 3:13 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I used to live in the ATL from 2000 to 2003.  I definitely miss the Drive Invasions. They were great fun.  I'm glad to see the the Starlight Drive-In is still going! 

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel