Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Ever wonder why there isn't a serious comprehensive documentary

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 8, 2012 11:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I am just curious as to why no one has undertaken the task of archiving and documenting this grossly overlooked and significant part of Rock n' Roll history.  I have been collecting music from this scene from all kinds of compilations (Pebbles,BFTG, Teenage Shutdown, Highs in the mid-sixties, Quagmire, Gravel, etc.), and even though there is a sizable amount of mediocrity due to the compiler's need to use substandard filler material to extend these series for monetary gain, a significant amount of the material within these collections are surprisingly fresh in their originality despite the only availability of crude audio sources and recording technologies of the time. I also have been surprised to see video of some of these obscure bands on You Tube which I think could be used in such a project. I think they could also hunt down some of the members of these bands for interviews and give them the opportunity for exposure and royalties from the project.

The only reasons that I can think of why this has not happened, is royalties, legalities, public domain issues, civil agreement among all contributors, niche market due to non exposure, and just the amount of money, time, research etc....  But I do think it's a shame that the general public only know "one side" of sixties rock, and the other hundreds of regional rock bands have no exposure, due to the fact they had to compete with the HUGE successes of the Beatles, Stones, Who, Doors, Kinks, Hendrix etc... and had to undergo maybe some marketing censorship in some cases. One can only imagine how interesting and enlightening a comprehensive documentary paying tribute to those regional garage bands that had a unique talent, but didn't have the right managers, promoters, record deals or timing to make it big at that time, could be.

I think we could only hope that one entrepreneur with the right vision and financial backing, support, industry connections and attention to detail, could pull this off in our lifetime!

One last thing... I did buy one documentary on garage rock but it was sort of cheaply made, and had almost no performance footage and just glossed over the topic by focusing on a few bands.

• September 12, 2012 6:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , "Teen - A - Go -Go" comes highly recommended. The FT. WORTH SCENE WAS HUGE , BUT , THEY MANAGED TO BOIL IT DOWN TO A SINGLE SHOT. The Dallas bands are largely cross referenced , only because they had to be , being so close to Ft. Worth (About 90 MINS. OR LESS.). tHERE'S EXCELLENT COLOR FOOTAGE OF DALLAS' PRIDE , THE FIVE AMERICANS.

• April 22, 2012 11:30 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Kopper, I assume everyone here is talking about a movie type documentary and you're right, it would be an incredibly difficult undertaking. But, there is currently a new one called Teen-A-Go-Go. It's pretty good, but focuses mainly on the music scene in the 60's around the Dallas/Fort Worth area. And, in the near future, Mike Markesich will release his book "Teen Beat Mayhem." This book is something everyone and anyone into music will have to have in there library. Can you tell the folks on here a little about the book? Or, is the book way off topic?

• April 21, 2012 2:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The topic is definitely a missing link in Rock'n Roll's history and it reveals so many experimental styles that may have given birth to, and influenced later bands.  I am surprised that some major rock bands do not endorse or propose a project like this.

Jersey City Mods said:

Would love to see a "Beatles Anthology" type production, taking as many hours as necessary to cover the subject with interviews, clips and roundtable discussions.  The problem is, who would have final say as to what gets included and what is cut?  How about a collaboration between Martin Scorsese and Bill Kelly?  Ah, if only we'd won the Powerball...

• April 19, 2012 3:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Would love to see a "Beatles Anthology" type production, taking as many hours as necessary to cover the subject with interviews, clips and roundtable discussions.  The problem is, who would have final say as to what gets included and what is cut?  How about a collaboration between Martin Scorsese and Bill Kelly?  Ah, if only we'd won the Powerball...

• April 15, 2012 3:55 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Don't go getting so hung up on the obscurities that you forget the hitmakers. If you're going to do a documentary on the genre, the Gentrys and the Castaways are just as important as Ned Nobody & the Never Heard Of. Maybe more, since they were more visible (and audible).

kopper said:

Well, to be done right, it would have to be enormously comprehensive. With thousands of garage bands sprouting up all over the world from '65 thru '67, it would be quite a task. The best way to go about it would be to do a series of documentaries and focus on regional scenes, such as Texas, the Pacific Northwest, Michigan, Australia, etc. Sort of like how the later volumes of the Pebbles comps were focused.

• April 12, 2012 9:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

MONEY , as well as interest , are two big hurdles to get over.....I agree , it should have been done ,by now....There was a documentary on PBS , hardly all - inclusive , but , done with their hearts in the right places...on the history of American Garage Rock. Very low budget , but , it should've been a rallying point for similar documentaries....It featured Sky Saxon , Jimy Sohns and Joe Kelly (Shadows of Knight) , and was co - hosted by Bun E. Carlos (Once in a Garage band.), and shot in Wisconsin , largely in a flea market.

• April 12, 2012 9:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think you're right , much like a  lot of individual cities' "Scenes" from the Late 70's - Early 80'S are getting the documentary treatment....

kopper said:

Well, to be done right, it would have to be enormously comprehensive. With thousands of garage bands sprouting up all over the world from '65 thru '67, it would be quite a task. The best way to go about it would be to do a series of documentaries and focus on regional scenes, such as Texas, the Pacific Northwest, Michigan, Australia, etc. Sort of like how the later volumes of the Pebbles comps were focused.

• April 9, 2012 2:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ryan Hatt said:

But seriously, there's always Ken Burns...

Now that would be a perfect fit! A forgotten and ignored legacy of musical significance (like Jazz).  But I'm sure someone like Ken Burns may dismiss it as not having the drama, and profound significance on culture to warrant his expertise.

• April 9, 2012 2:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

kopper said:

Agreed!  And a good angle for marketing the project would also be the legacy of popular Rock bands who's origins came from this important time of experimentation and creativity! For example The Spiders (who became Alice Cooper), Golliwogs (Credence Clearwater Revival) Terry Knight and the Pack (Grand Funk), The Heard (Bob Segar), Grim Reapers, Paegans (Cheap Trick) etc..

• April 9, 2012 8:25 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No chance in hell of this happening, but my first awesome daydream of the morning is to somehow get David Attenborough to do this.  Second place, Herzog.  I can only imagine how absolutely ridiculous either of those films would be.  But seriously, there's always Ken Burns...

• April 9, 2012 7:51 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• April 9, 2012 5:58 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Maybe Martin Scorsese would be interested.

KF

Simon Taylor said:

Phew what a task! What about getting intouch with Vernon Joynson, the guy that put together the Fuzz Acid & Flowers book? He may well know a lot of Garage type dudes...

just a thought

• April 9, 2012 4:48 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Phew what a task! What about getting intouch with Vernon Joynson, the guy that put together the Fuzz Acid & Flowers book? He may well know a lot of Garage type dudes...

just a thought

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel