Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• March 11, 2013 2:39 AM CDT
    • Yeah it is, but we're up to 74 now. Not nearly as good when you think of all the crap from '74.

John Battles said:

66 is a good number.

Glenn Barton said:

I don't even take liking seriously on FB. I feel stupid asking for likes for our band. I should do more campaigning and after seeing some other posts on this topic, I will. We only have 66 likes but are doing well gig-wise. We would probably do better with more likes. Check out our videos on our website and youtube. If you like them, I mean truely like them, feel free to like us on Facebook. It will probably help the cause.  If you don't like us, well, obviosly, don't like us. If you think the whole like system is weird and you don't care for it, don't give it a second thought... Irwin Zucker- promotion in motion. You can click on my page and find our website. Don't think I should post it here, just in case guidelines...

• March 11, 2013 12:02 AM CDT
    • Hey , Glenn. I'm good , thanks for asking.
      GRANTED , IT'S A LITTLE DIFFERENT FOR ME , AS i DON'T HAVE A BAND . I'M NOT MY OWN BEST PR GUY. I USUALLY TAKE GIGS IF THERE'S A MUTUAL GENUINE INTEREST. I don't know that FB would have helped someone like me...If I do have a gig , or am helping somebody else out , I still make flyers. It was more fun , though , when you could post flyers almost anywhere. I KNOW A LOT OF BANDS STILL USE MY SPACE TO ADVERTISE THEIR GIGS OR PROMOTE NEW RELEASES....IT'S A GHOST TOWN ,NOW , OF COURSE , but , I can't believe I was the only person having fun with the original My Space , as welll as getting the word out about shows w/o worrying how many likes I got..
      Glenn Barton said:

Yeah. It's getting ridiculous. One good part about the hideous job of hi-volume retail is that I see a few of my FB friends and talk to them in person. Tell them when a gig is coming up, hand them a flyer/schedule (remember those- I think they are still around because they don't require verbal!). It's all part of the general erosion which I have a name for but won't say in print until I have the trademark on it like Pat Reiley (sp?) has on 3-peat. Nyuk, nyuk.

How are you Mr. Battles?

John Battles said:

Amen. People who criticized me for not getting on it are now saying they wish they had'nt bothered. Not all of 'em. But , it IS killing how people communicate. Between that and texting , when do people ever TALK , even on the phone? When FB first started , some former friends from college were starting a chat group. They asked one friend I've always been in touch with to join. One of them , a longtime Born - Again Christian said to tell me to get on FB so he could TALK to me. I said , I'll  give him my phone number , if he has anything to say , he can say it to ME. TURNED OUT THE ONES WHO WERE'NT BORN AGAIN IN COLLEGE ARE , NOW , SO , THEY SNUBBED MY FRIEND FOR HAVING A MIND OF HIS OWN, AND HIS OWN PERSONAL BELIEFS......On the other hand , when it comes down to music , there may be reasons to join , but , I'm reading , now , there are plenty of reasons not to. How hard is it to e-mail a personal friend , or , God forbid , call 'em on the phone , if they're not on Face Book , to tell them you have a gig ? We used to do it , all time , not long ago.

Allerleirauh said:

Facebook is killing everything.

• March 10, 2013 11:50 PM CDT
    • YOU'LL RECALL , THAT BULLSHIT ABOUT "HOME TAPING IS KILLING MUSIC". THAT WAS A BIGGER DEAL IN THE UK , BUT SOME ALBUMS , HERE , BORE THAT WARNING.....
      Like , if you taped , or , later , burned an album or a self- made compilation , probably motivating your friends to buy more music , as often as not, it was , and is , a win - win situation. 
      Mole said:

Definitely not killing music as far as I'm aware - but is ANYTHING killing music? If you bypass the dross that passes for music on most daytime radio shows (I'm talking UK specifically here) and ignore pretty much anything on 'normal' TV [esp. those 'talent' shows - Jesus, what a total scam], there's an extremely healthy underground scene. As Kopper mentions, the DIY thing is probably easier now than ever before, and in my experience and opinion, social networking sites [just like this one RIGHT HERE!!!] slot perfectly into that approach. As our man says, you don't NEED labels/promoters etc to be able to put out your own music - what you need is BELIEF.

• March 10, 2013 11:46 PM CDT
    • 66 is a good number.

Glenn Barton said:

I don't even take liking seriously on FB. I feel stupid asking for likes for our band. I should do more campaigning and after seeing some other posts on this topic, I will. We only have 66 likes but are doing well gig-wise. We would probably do better with more likes. Check out our videos on our website and youtube. If you like them, I mean truely like them, feel free to like us on Facebook. It will probably help the cause.  If you don't like us, well, obviosly, don't like us. If you think the whole like system is weird and you don't care for it, don't give it a second thought... Irwin Zucker- promotion in motion. You can click on my page and find our website. Don't think I should post it here, just in case guidelines...

• March 10, 2013 5:22 PM CDT
    • Ditto.

G. Wood said:

I have nothing but unbridled admiration for you, sir.

Matt said:

I've never ever been on Facebook. I have a band that does fine without it. I also seem to know about shows, parties, and I am able to keep in contact with my friends all without the help of Facebook.

• March 10, 2013 11:44 PM CDT
    • I care because I can get 12-15 bucks each for their lps! That's my extent.

John Battles said:

I'm decades past caring about The Violent Femmes , but , this has GOT to be the better of the two , tho' he sounds like he's taking it seriously.....

Glenn Barton said:

I like the cover better for sure on this one.

Dead Boy said:

Violent Femmes - Do You Really Want To Hurt Me

I haven't heard the whole of the original, but I'm pretty sure this cover beats it.

• March 10, 2013 11:41 PM CDT
    • I'm decades past caring about The Violent Femmes , but , this has GOT to be the better of the two , tho' he sounds like he's taking it seriously.....

Glenn Barton said:

I like the cover better for sure on this one.

Dead Boy said:

I haven't heard the whole of the original, but I'm pretty sure this cover beats it.

• March 10, 2013 7:17 PM CDT
    • I like the cover better for sure on this one.

Dead Boy said:

• March 10, 2013 2:10 PM CDT
    • I REMEMBER WHEN I WAS IN JR. HIGH , EVERYBODY WAS TALKING ABOUT HOW SANTANA WAS GOING TO PLAY AT SIX FLAGS OVER TEXAS , PRETTY MUCH AN IMPOSSIBILITY AT THE TIME , BUT , IT TURNED OUT TO BE SANTA ESMERELDA.

ERIC BURDON SAID HE MET NINA SIMONE , AND SHE SAID "SO YOU ARE THE WHITE TRASH MOTHERFUCKER WHO WENT AND TOOK MY SONG ! (AS IF SHE WROTE IT.)", AND HE REPLIED , "YEAH , AND BECAUSE OF THAT , YOU'VE GOT ALL OF EUROPE WAITING TO SEE YOU. IF YOU OWN UP TO THE SONGS YOU TOOK FROM ANGOLA (PRISON) , I'LL OWN UP TO TAKING THAT SONG FROM YOU!". AFTER THAT , HE SAID , SHE LOST THE ATTITUDE , AND THEY WERE FRIENDLY.       IT WAS STILL AT A TIME WHEN GETTING COVER SONGSOUT WAS OFTEN CRUCIAL TO YOUR OWN CAREER.....YOU COULD STILL HAVE TWO , THREE , MAYBE EVEN MORE  VERSIONS OF THE SAME SONG HIT THE CHARTS.
      T ersicore said:

"Please don´t let me be Misunderstood" is the song i like less by Nina Simone, i guess. 
      but comparing the two covers by the Animals and the one by Santa Esmeralda, i would dare to say, although i´m not a Disco fan, i like the Santa Esmeralda a bit more.

• March 10, 2013 11:50 AM CDT
    • Yeah! Unbelievable and inexplicable!!! Jon Moss had rather stay by Adam and the Ants!! :D

Dead Boy said:

But the drummer was ex-the Damned! :/

:D

Tersicore said:

Oh, yag! Culture Club were just disgusting! ;)

• March 10, 2013 11:37 AM CDT
    • "Please don´t let me be Misunderstood" is the song i like less by Nina Simone, i guess. 
      but comparing the two covers by the Animals and the one by Santa Esmeralda, i would dare to say, although i´m not a Disco fan, i like the Santa Esmeralda a bit more.

• March 10, 2013 11:35 AM CDT
    • But the drummer was ex-the Damned! :/

:D

Tersicore said:

Oh, yag! Culture Club were just disgusting! ;)

• March 10, 2013 11:20 AM CDT
    • "Mad World" is a pretty melodic, soupy song but still good, somehow...
      just not sure which version is better. Preferences out there?

• March 10, 2013 11:02 AM CDT
    • I think the Doors in "Backdoor man" beats the Howlin´Wolf´s original

Cash literally smashed with "Hurt" the original Nine Inch Nails 
      and with "I see a Darkness" the original by Bonnie Prince Billy

• March 10, 2013 10:32 AM CDT
    • Oh, yag! Culture Club were just disgusting! ;)

Dead Boy said:

• March 10, 2013 10:00 AM CDT
    • Violent Femmes - Do You Really Want To Hurt Me

• March 10, 2013 9:42 AM CDT
    • That´s right Nero!
      thanx! what a awesome song!

• March 10, 2013 4:04 AM CDT
    • Covers of covers of covers....'Blank Generation' was 'inspired' by 'Beat Generation', a novelty song written by Rod McKuen and sung by Bob McFadden from 1959. I first heard it on a Las Vegas Grind LP but it took me a while to make the connection. Check it out!

Tersicore said:

"Run through the Jungle" is just such a fantastic song!! The Original, wow!!
      Is hard to say which cover is best... like a lot the 8 Eyed Spy´s and Cramps´s but the one  i´ve been listening most is from Gun Club, i guess. I simply love it!

Shit! I´m not sure if i ever realized before, that the "Stray Cat Strut" was the cover of  Blank Generation! Shame on me! Anyway, i love the first album by Stray Cats!! Killer!!

John Battles said:

Richard Hell does CCR? Who'da thunk it? I like Lydia Lunch's version of "Run Through The Jungle".  I used to like The Stray Cats' cover version of "Blank Generation",when it came out. They called it "Stray Cat Strut".

• March 9, 2013 11:49 PM CST
    • i COULD SEE THE CRAMPS DOING "JUNGLE"....We are all faltering , somehow , in our musical memories. I'm sure I saw some great bands , some that became well - known , but , beats me who they were.

Tersicore said:

Upppssss!!!
      Why i thought the Cramps did cover this song?? Shit!, no idea!   (Ok..maybe just smoked too much back then...or getting old lately?). They didn´t!  ;D  but Gun Club did, for sure!!! In Miami, and how!!!  

Yeah, 8 eyed spy were special!! but missed Rudi and Lydia together, somehow....

John Battles said:

THAT WAS KIND OF A JOKE , BECAUSE "STRAY CAT STRUT" DOES SOUND LIKE IT WAS LIFTED DIRECTLY FROM " BLANK GENERATION". DID GUN CLUB DO "RUN THROUGH THE JUNGLE " , TOO? I'VE NEVER HEARD OF THE CRAMPS DOING IT.....LUX WAS A BIG CCR FAN  , THOUGH. EIGHT EYED SPY (W/LYDIA LUNCH) DID SOME COOL COVERS , LIKE "LIGHTNING'S GIRL" (NANCY SINATRA) , MAINTAINING MY COOL (SONICS) , DIDDY WAH DIDDY (CAPT. BEEFHEART'S VERSION.) , TOO. YOU KNOW , RUDI BRIEFLY PLAYED IN A MORE BLUESEY BAND CALLED THE DEVIL DOGS WITH LYDIA.  I THINK THEY ONLY DID A EUROPEAN TOUR. I'VE NEVER HEARD OF ANY RECORDINGS TURNING UP.

• March 9, 2013 10:26 PM CST
    • Upppssss!!!
      Why i thought the Cramps did cover this song?? Shit!, no idea!   (Ok..maybe just smoked too much back then...or getting old lately?). They didn´t!  ;D  but Gun Club did, for sure!!! In Miami, and how!!!  

Yeah, 8 eyed spy were special!! but missed Rudi and Lydia together, somehow....

John Battles said:

THAT WAS KIND OF A JOKE , BECAUSE "STRAY CAT STRUT" DOES SOUND LIKE IT WAS LIFTED DIRECTLY FROM " BLANK GENERATION". DID GUN CLUB DO "RUN THROUGH THE JUNGLE " , TOO? I'VE NEVER HEARD OF THE CRAMPS DOING IT.....LUX WAS A BIG CCR FAN  , THOUGH. EIGHT EYED SPY (W/LYDIA LUNCH) DID SOME COOL COVERS , LIKE "LIGHTNING'S GIRL" (NANCY SINATRA) , MAINTAINING MY COOL (SONICS) , DIDDY WAH DIDDY (CAPT. BEEFHEART'S VERSION.) , TOO. YOU KNOW , RUDI BRIEFLY PLAYED IN A MORE BLUESEY BAND CALLED THE DEVIL DOGS WITH LYDIA.  I THINK THEY ONLY DID A EUROPEAN TOUR. I'VE NEVER HEARD OF ANY RECORDINGS TURNING UP.

• March 9, 2013 1:50 PM CST
    • Ha ha ha ha..."More Than a Feeling"....Back when everybody was doing "Feel Like Making Love " by Bad Co. (DON'T KNOW WHY.) , I saw the Lunachicks cover it , changing the words to "I would wrap you....in toilet paper.....flush you down , down , down the drain....Feel like makin'...DUNNUNT - DAH ! DUNNUNT - DAH ! DUNNUNT DAH !!!!".

ash said:

Zen Guerrilla's version of The Seeker....

Lunachicks - more than a feeling

...just sayin'

• March 9, 2013 1:46 PM CST
    • THAT WAS KIND OF A JOKE , BECAUSE "STRAY CAT STRUT" DOES SOUND LIKE IT WAS LIFTED DIRECTLY FROM " BLANK GENERATION". DID GUN CLUB DO "RUN THROUGH THE JUNGLE " , TOO? I'VE NEVER HEARD OF THE CRAMPS DOING IT.....LUX WAS A BIG CCR FAN  , THOUGH. EIGHT EYED SPY (W/LYDIA LUNCH) DID SOME COOL COVERS , LIKE "LIGHTNING'S GIRL" (NANCY SINATRA) , MAINTAINING MY COOL (SONICS) , DIDDY WAH DIDDY (CAPT. BEEFHEART'S VERSION.) , TOO. YOU KNOW , RUDI BRIEFLY PLAYED IN A MORE BLUESEY BAND CALLED THE DEVIL DOGS WITH LYDIA.  I THINK THEY ONLY DID A EUROPEAN TOUR. I'VE NEVER HEARD OF ANY RECORDINGS TURNING UP.

ACTUALLY , THE STRAY CATS ALSO GOT "CRAWL UP AND DIE" FROM "PLEASE GIVE ME SOMETHING.....THE CRAMPS WERE OFTEN ACCUSED OF LIFTING THE RHYTHM PART  FROM THAT SONG TO GET "DRUG TRAIN" / "TWIST AND SHOUT", BUT THE STRAY CATS EVEN TOOK THE MELODY....IT ALL DREW ATTENTION TO THE ORIGINAL.

• March 10, 2013 2:18 PM CDT
    • RT @TEAGUE1926

"The essence of punk rock is making space for a new experience. Punk is the free space between, uncontrolled by profits. #sxsw"

• March 10, 2013 12:23 AM CST
    • Damn, thanks for letting me know. They worked for me but I don't use iTunes so I didn't know it had an issue. I've switched all my subscription links over to feedburner which has iTunes optimization, so hopefully that helps. Here is the new link for you and anyone else who is interested:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/buzzsawradio

Thanks for listening!

John said:

Thanks for the shows. They don't seem to auto update on iTunes subscription. the first one did not this one might I guess.

• March 9, 2013 3:04 PM CST

• Playlist 03/09/13

F.O.C.  In The Back 
      Shook-Ups!  Control Yourself 
      Jukebox Zeros  City of Bother and Loathe 
      Swinging Iggies  Lady Gaga 
      Mysteios  Va Va Va Va Va Va Voodoo Bay-Beee 
      Stooges  Real Cool Time 
      Lords of Gravity  Pirate Lies 
      Nomads  The Bad Times Will Do Me Good 
      Stranglers  Lowlands 
      Beg Borrow Steal  Monkey