Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• March 9, 2013 10:57 AM CST
    • "Run through the Jungle" is just such a fantastic song!! The Original, wow!!
      Is hard to say which cover is best... like a lot the 8 Eyed Spy´s and Cramps´s but the one  i´ve been listening most is from Gun Club, i guess. I simply love it!

Shit! I´m not sure if i ever realized before, that the "Stray Cat Strut" was the cover of  Blank Generation! Shame on me! Anyway, i love the first album by Stray Cats!! Killer!!

John Battles said:

Richard Hell does CCR? Who'da thunk it? I like Lydia Lunch's version of "Run Through The Jungle".  I used to like The Stray Cats' cover version of "Blank Generation",when it came out. They called it "Stray Cat Strut".

• March 8, 2013 5:15 PM CST
    • Richard Hell does CCR? Who'da thunk it? I like Lydia Lunch's version of "Run Through The Jungle".  I used to like The Stray Cats' cover version of "Blank Generation",when it came out. They called it "Stray Cat Strut".

• March 8, 2013 12:41 PM CST
    • Seattle's Steel Wool do a great cover of CCR's Pagan Baby.

• March 8, 2013 12:16 PM CST
    • Zen Guerrilla's version of The Seeker....

Lunachicks - more than a feeling

...just sayin'

• March 8, 2013 12:09 PM CST
    • HA HA , THE FEEDERZ  ,"HAVE YOU NEVER BEEN MELLOW" - THAT'S JUST WRONG. SO WRONG , IT'S RIGHT .

OF COURSE , THE DICTATORS DID A GREAT "SLOW DEATH" , TOO. I LIKED HOW THEY PUT "I JUST WANNA HAVE SOMETHING TO DO" AND "NEXT BIG THING" TOGTHER....A GENIUS OF A NO - BRAINER.

I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVY - I'M NOT YOUR STEPPIN' PIRAHNA - ABOUT AS LEFT OF CENTER AS IT GETS.

MACC LADS - FAT BASTARD (BLOCKBUSTER , THE SWEET.). ABOUT AS  WRONG AS IT GETS.

• March 8, 2013 10:54 AM CST
    • Feederz - Have You Ever Been Mellow

Dictators - I Got You Babe and California Sun (better than the Ramones cover too!)

Minor threat - Steppin' Stone (even though I love Monkees/ Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart)

That Slayer cover is pretty rad

• March 7, 2013 9:31 PM CST
    • NO  , JAMES LOWE WOULD NOT HAVE PUT HIS VOCAL SKILLS UP AGAINST HOWLIN' WOLF....BUT , HE'S A HOWLIN' MOTHERFUCKER , JUST THE SAME!

Tersicore said:

The Electric Prunes´s version is indeed fantastic!!
      But whether does beat the original or not... not sure..
      not on vocals, i would say. (love that howl so much!;)

But i´ll spend you a beer anyway!! :)

John Battles said:

I RETRACT THAT NON - FACT....The Electric Prunes did a great version of "Smokestack Lightning".....on the "Live , Stockholm '67 album" , with a great turnaround , and would'nt you know , James Lowe's timely advice to an audience already, no doubt,  smoking their brains out , " IF YOU CAN'T DRINK.....THEN YOU OUGHT TO SMOKE.".....

John Battles said:

i THINK YOU'LL WIN THAT BET. I HEARD "SMOKESTACK LIGHTNING" BY THE YARDBIRDS , FIRST , THINKING THAT IT SOUNDED A LOT LIKE "PRIMITIVE" BY THE CRAMPS" , NOT YET AWARE OF HOWLIN' WOLF'S ORIGINAL VERSION OF THE FORMER , AND THE GROUPIES' ORIGINAL VERSION OF THE LATTER.....I CAN'T EVEN THINK OF ANY OTHER VERSIONS OF "SMOKESTACK LIGHTNING" , OFFHAND ........ IN THE STATES , THE CHESS RECORDS CATALOGUE WAS OUT OF PRINT UNTIL 1984 , AND , EVEN THEN , THE OBVIOUS STUFF LIKE CHUCK , BO , WOLF AND MUDDY WAS SLOW IN ARRIVING.

Tersicore said:

Well, since most of us grown up with R´n´R, Rock, Punk and so on, i guess is not too difficult to find more appealing versions of some old Jazz, Folk or old R´n´B songs. 
      We may have heard in most cases the cover earlier than the original one,  
      or maybe never heard the original at all. 

Personally i´d be more curious about comparing songs which were both, original and cover, quasi contemporary, or from not so extremely different musical genre.
      What do you think?

BUT: I´ll spend a beer to anyone who comes with a better version of the original "Smokestack Lightning" by Howling´Wolf! ;)

• March 7, 2013 6:00 PM CST
    • Totally agree!!

and coincidentally you also instanced one cover which beat the original, for my taste!!
      As a kid i first heard the original which was great, of course!
      But later as a teen, this cover by Devo just blew me away!

The Fnords said:

Ah, covers; do it different or better is the guide, I believe. 

Devo - Satisfaction. Different.

D.

• March 7, 2013 5:37 PM CST
    • If true, nevertheless, cool song! :)

D. A. Anguiano said:

The Hex Dispensers covered a song I wrote called 'I'm a Ghost' and killed it. It's better than the original by miles. :)

/tootsownhorn

• March 7, 2013 4:57 PM CST
    • The Electric Prunes´s version is indeed fantastic!!
      But whether does beat the original or not... not sure..
      not on vocals, i would say. (love that howl so much!;)

But i´ll spend you a beer anyway!! :)

John Battles said:

I RETRACT THAT NON - FACT....The Electric Prunes did a great version of "Smokestack Lightning".....on the "Live , Stockholm '67 album" , with a great turnaround , and would'nt you know , James Lowe's timely advice to an audience already, no doubt,  smoking their brains out , " IF YOU CAN'T DRINK.....THEN YOU OUGHT TO SMOKE.".....

John Battles said:

i THINK YOU'LL WIN THAT BET. I HEARD "SMOKESTACK LIGHTNING" BY THE YARDBIRDS , FIRST , THINKING THAT IT SOUNDED A LOT LIKE "PRIMITIVE" BY THE CRAMPS" , NOT YET AWARE OF HOWLIN' WOLF'S ORIGINAL VERSION OF THE FORMER , AND THE GROUPIES' ORIGINAL VERSION OF THE LATTER.....I CAN'T EVEN THINK OF ANY OTHER VERSIONS OF "SMOKESTACK LIGHTNING" , OFFHAND ........ IN THE STATES , THE CHESS RECORDS CATALOGUE WAS OUT OF PRINT UNTIL 1984 , AND , EVEN THEN , THE OBVIOUS STUFF LIKE CHUCK , BO , WOLF AND MUDDY WAS SLOW IN ARRIVING.

Tersicore said:

Well, since most of us grown up with R´n´R, Rock, Punk and so on, i guess is not too difficult to find more appealing versions of some old Jazz, Folk or old R´n´B songs. 
      We may have heard in most cases the cover earlier than the original one,  
      or maybe never heard the original at all. 

Personally i´d be more curious about comparing songs which were both, original and cover, quasi contemporary, or from not so extremely different musical genre.
      What do you think?

BUT: I´ll spend a beer to anyone who comes with a better version of the original "Smokestack Lightning" by Howling´Wolf! ;)

• March 8, 2013 9:18 PM CST
    • Can someone tell me why.....I dig this video???

WELL....COME 'ON:

• March 8, 2013 6:13 PM CST
    • Thanks for the shows. They don't seem to auto update on iTunes subscription. the first one did not this one might I guess.

• March 8, 2013 5:13 PM CST
    • NEW SHOW HERE JUST ADDED TO GARAGE PUNK PIRATE RADIO. FUTURE EPISODES WILL FEATURE MORE MODERN ROCK'N'ROLL, ONLY A FEW MODERN TRACKS MADE IT IN THIS EPISODE. BANDS WHO WOULD LIKE TO BE FEATURED ON A FUTURE EPISODE CONTACT ME, IF I LOVE IT I'LL PLAY IT!

GIVE IT A LISTEN AND LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!

• March 8, 2013 5:53 PM CST
    • Radio What Wave Playlist Mar 7/2013

1. The Shanks...Jesus Make It Fun...from the Dark Richard Show CD from 2010. The Shanks will be our 'special' guests next week on Radio WW. Hopefully they bring their brand new 7" with them so we can spin in onair.

The Shanks during their last visit to Radio WW...looking elegant as always!

2. Weirdonia...Nymphochondriac...from their Freaks CD. Weirdonia are in town tonite playing at APK (Brennan's).

Weirdonia on their last visit to Radio WW...they eventually figured out how to open the door.

3. Strange Attractor...I'm A Strange Attractor...from their self titled CD on Red Lounge. They are in town tonite with Weirdonia.

4. Strange Attractor...Just Looking...from a 7" on FDH Records from 2009.

5. Almighty Rhombus...Even Though...from a demo CD, they are in town next thursday at APK/Brennan's and are from Sudbury, Strange Attractor's home town.

6. The Dead Beat...Heavy Set...from their Boss Sound CD.

7. Hangee V...Green Slippers...from a 7" called Sounds Of Fuzz, split with The Angry Breed. Picked this up at the garage sale at Kissin' The Carpet this past sunday.

8. Uranus...Motorbikin'...from Slippery's Club Hits, the cassette that comes with WW 24. And we'll be at the Indy Media fest at the London Public Library this saturday selling copies of the latest WW and WW Tees.

9. B10...Last Canadian Bastion....Here's the story on this one. The Stomper (Stompin' Tom Connors, Canada's first real punk) passed away wed night. B10 was not happy as The Stomper is a hero to him. So next morn, B10 writes a song, records the song, then sends a file to me. I get the file, put it on a CD and play it on the radio that day as part of our trib to The Stomper!!  Now that's using technology!! Thanx to IHaight Kyle (B10).

10. Stompin' Tom Connors...Tillsonburg...from a 7". This is the beginning of our trib to Stompin' Tom Connors, possibly the most patriotic Canadian ever!!

Most of my Stompin' Tom Connors Records.

11. Stompin' Tom Connors...Bud The Spud...from the Bud The Spud LP on Boot Records.

12. Stompin' Tom Connors...The Hockey Song...from the LP of the same name.

13. Stompin' Tom Connors...The Ketchup Song...from the Bud The Spud LP.

14. Skip Jensen...The Mountain...from a 7" on Delta Pop Records. Picked this one up at the London Record Show a coupla weeks back, thanx to Denis of Le Pickup for making the trek from Montreal for the London Record Show!

15. Bloodshot Bill...Heeby Jeeby Blues...from this latest CD, So Blue on Transistor 66 Records. Got to hang with BB at Kissin' The Carpet Part 2 in Hamilton the other day. BB put on a Killer show as always. Some more Ding Dongs material has been recorded, hopefully to be released on Norton Records. Bill was down to help Billy and Miriam after the Norton disaster and he said the pictures don't give you any idea of how bad the flooding was in the Norton warehouse!! And he also said Norton is going to continue!!

Bloodshot Bill at Kissin' The Carpet, 3/3/13 at This Ain't Hollywood in Hamilton.

16. Mark Sultan...Go Berserk...from the $ CD. Finally got to meet and see Mark Sultan and it was worth the wait!! Mark had missed his previous 2 shows due to illness, but man was he ever rockin' out during this show!!

Mark Sultan at Kissin' The Carpet Part 2. 3/3/13 This Ain't Hollywood, Hamilton.

17. The Black Jaspers...Scum Of The Earth...from the CD of the same name on Moon Records. Picked this up from Mark Sultan, it's Jasper and King Khan doing 77 punk type material.

18. The Squids...People Food....from a demo that Sam Squid gave me at Kissin' The Carpet. This features Chris Houston on vocals.

The Squids at Kissin' The Carpet. 3/3/13 This Ain't Hollywood, Hamilton Canada.

19. Chris Houston...Einstein's Brain...from a brand new 7" on Schizophrenic Records. Inspirations Krumins!!!!

20. Chris Houston...Surfin' On Heroin...from the Hate Filled Man LP. Comes with a 1 square foot piece of astro turf.

21. Hank and Frank...Nancy Sinatra...This was released on the cassette Garunge, 1987 and came free with What Wave 14 December 1987. Hank and Frank will be playing at the St Regis tomorrow night. I'll be up front.

22. Cheap Speakers....She Has A System...from their brand new CD, Switches and Levers. Toronto based pop outfit.

23. The Above...Georgia Peach...from a brand new 7" on Boppa Do Down Records.

24. Danny Laj... Queen Street West...soon to be released on Boppa Do Down Records.

25. The Barreracudas...Numbers...from their Nocturnal Missions LP. Picked this up at Kissin' The Carpet garage sale as i've been searching for this one awhile. We brought these guys into London almost 2 years ago, you shoulda been there!! They woulda kicked your ass harder than they did mine!! Pure 70's power pop!!

The Barreracudas, Black Shire Pub, 5/28/11, opening up for Jeremy Gluck's Barracudas!

26. The Raspberries...Ecstasy...from the Greatest Hits LP on Capitol.

27. The Smithereens...Behind The Wall Of Sleep...from their Expecially For You LP...had to fade this out as we ran outta time.

Hope you dug this show!! Thanx for all the phone-ins, emails, messages etc!

Back again next week with The Shanks as our special guests. All pictures from the What Wave archives, please ask before using/posting.

Here's a link to the podcast:

http://chrwradio.ca/content/radio-what-wave#prev-shows

• March 8, 2013 4:59 PM CST
    • "We saw them in England. They were all withdrawing , and their entire equipment setup cost about a Thousand Dollars. That Johnny Rotten's got some interesting phrasing , but , he can't carry a tune. I guess he figured he does'nt have to. He's a Punk , right?

I mean , we like them , but , we don't like to be around people who use drugs. It makes us nervous.'.    Joey Ramone , on The Sex Pistols.

" Johnny Rotten came up to me after their show , and said "What'd ya think?". I said  , "I thought you stunk." . he said , "Yeah ? Well I think YOU stink , too" . Johnny Ramone.

" WE WERE AT A WINE PARTY , EVERYONE DRUNK AND THROWING UP . PUKE ALL OVER THE MEN'S ROOM. SOMEBODY , MAYBE JOHNNY ROTTEN , SAID "D'YA WANT ANYTHING?" , I SAID , "YEAH , I WANT SOME SPEED" . SO , I WAS SNORTING THESE LINES OF SPEED , WHEN SID VICIOUS ASKS ME , "HAVE YOU GOT ANYTHING TO GET HIGH? " , I SAID , "YEAH , I GOT SOME SPEED.". So , he took out a needle , put some of the speed in there , stuck the needle in the toilet , with the puke and piss and everything , shook it up , he did'nt cook it or anything , shot himself up , and he got off. He said , "Wow....where'd you get this stuff?"

Dee Dee Ramone.

'I REALLY THOUGHT THE RAMONES AND THE SEX PISTOLS WERE GOING TO BE THE NEW BEATLES AND STONES."

"THE ONLY BAND I WAS EVER THREATENED BY WAS THE CLASH . THEY GOT SO CLOSE TO US WITH "WHITE RIOT" ".

"THE CLASH USED TO BE A HIGH ENERGY BAND. THEIR FIRST ALBUM WAS GREAT , THE SHOWS WOULD....NOW , YOU BUY A THREE LP  SET , OR WHATEVER , AND THERE IS'NT A FAST SONG IN THE WHOLE PACKAGE !"

JOHNNY RAMONE.

" I THOUGHT THE RAMONES' FIRST ALBUM WAS GREAT. SO , I BOUGHT THE SECOND ONE , AND IT WAS MORE OF THE SAME. WHEN THEIR THIRD ALBUM CAME OUT , I DID'NT BOTHER. "    PAUL SIMONON.

" If The Clash can make the US Top 10  WITH THEIR WORST ALBUM , So can The Ramones.".     "Subterranean Jungle" review.

"WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED THAT THE SEX PISTOLS WOULD HAVE BROKEN UP SO FAST , OR THAT SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES WOULD TURN OUT LIKE LED ZEPPELIN , OR THAT THE DAMNED WOULD BECOME A COMEDY ACT ?"  JOE STRUMMER.

" WHY ARE THESE TEENAGE GIRLS COMING TO SEE US? THEY'VE GOT THE SEX PISTOLS , WHO SPEAK MORE DIRECTLY TO THE YOUTH. "   IAN ANDERSON. 

" I have'nt heard a lot of this Punk Rock stuff , but , I did hear some songs by The Sex Pistols  , and I liked it.  They've got some of those real 50's Rock 'n'Roll beats in there!". Carl Perkins.

"I think The Sex Pistols are pretty groovy . They remind me a lot of Fiorello La Guardia , sure. My favorite Sex Pistols song ? I guess "Hot Cars".  Roky Erickson.

"I don't know Johnny Rotten , but , I'm sure he puts as much blood and sweat into what he does as Sigmund Freud did" .  Iggy Pop.

"The Sex Pistols ripped off The Seeds." Sky Saxon.

• March 8, 2013 3:34 PM CST
    • Show #412: "The Eggman Collection #131"

The Eggman Collection is basically a big potpourri of every song I've ever liked in my life...EVER! It's literally a huge mixing bowl full of songs written onto tiny pieces of paper. Over 20,000 songs that I've been compiling for the past 20-plus years of my life. Every song I've ever liked has gone into this bowl, and every three weeks I draw them out randomly one-by-one and play them for you in no particular order. A mix of everything and anything I like, no matter what genre, era, style or year of release...if I like it, then I'll play it! No repeats of the same song ever! Tune in tonight (Friday) at 10pm EST for the 131st installment of The Eggman Collection and hear bands and artists like: Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band, Cherry People, Wings, Shiver, The Beach Boys, The Byrds, Kraftwerk, William Penn Fyve, Love, Chicago Transit Authority, Marmalade, Focus, The Beatles, Don & Jerry with The Fugitives, Paul & Linda McCartney, Blue Mountain Eagle, David Bowie, King Crimson and many others!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show by "liking it" on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• March 8, 2013 12:19 PM CST
    • LIGHTHOUSE - SUMMER DAYS , Hardly my favorite , but it gets the laziness vibe down pat.

Troggs - Summertime (Not "When the gIrls wear the dresses so low....wish you were here , The Miller Beer Ads. )  ,  I'LL BUY YOU AN ISLAND , and yes , SUMMERTIME (YOU CAN SEE THE SUN ON THEIR T-T-T-T-T-T-TANNED SKIN.....).

Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime  (Of course. Back when singing about drinking and driving and taking advantage of rich and poor girls aliKE could land you an international top ten).

Hanoi Rocks - Malibu Beach Nightmare (No too takin' er easy , but , the perfect summer song.).

• March 8, 2013 10:49 AM CST
    • Roberto, you fuckin' rule. Awesome stuff!

• March 7, 2013 8:10 PM CST
    • Sweet comp, that's totally the kind of recent stuff I was looking for. Any chance you know of any older material from your area? So little Eastern European stuff makes it's way to the US, but I know there was lots of vinyl in that part of the world back in the day. Thanks a lot for pointing out this album, and you can't beat a free download.

roberto milic said:

Here is an interesting compilation of contemporary bands (punk, garage...) from this part of Europe (Croatia, Serbia, Slovenia).
      http://eroticbiljanandhisheretics.bandcamp.com/album/ex-yu-rocknrol...

• March 8, 2013 8:29 AM CST
    • The DVD for the documentary Saicomania, about the peruvian garage punk band Los Saicos, is now for sale:

www.saicomania.com

El DVD del documental Saicomania, sobre la banda garage punk peruana Los Saicoa, ya está a la venta: