Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• February 20, 2013 12:50 AM CST
    • That's really cool. The Sloths' name and picture should be bigger, but , that's just  me.

Looks like a really good time. I have'nt done a fest in almost 3 years , it dawned on me , last night ., the penultimate (To this point) Ponderosa Stomp. Well , I went to the Hozac Blackout , mainly to see Roky Erickson. That was a fest , tho' it was so packed to the rafters , I saved my strength , and tolerance for getting crushed , for Roky. 

• February 20, 2013 12:45 AM CST
    • No , i don't remember these guys at all.....But, I'd long since put Hardcore (If you want to call it that.) behind me , the handfull of bands I even liked .  I quit skateboarding in '76 or '77 , so , I did'nt relate  to the Skate - Punk thing , tho' some of my younger friends were Skateboarders in the 80's , a couple went pro or semi - pro . I met Craig Johnson , once , in Dallas , and he was a nice guy. This video is funny , the intro , the guy with a keg on his back (The Crusher's favorite workout - drain all the beer from a keg on your back.) , but , if I saw this record for 50 cents , I'd pass. Sorry.

• February 19, 2013 10:44 PM CST
    • First: One Hit Wonder, Buck-O-Nine, White Kaps at The Whiskey A Go Go in Los Angeles, CA 97? Anyone remember the White Kaps? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mupm6vQNLW8

Best: Way too hard to narrow down, but off the top of my head I'll say the last Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds show I saw.

• February 18, 2013 8:06 PM CST
    • That's so cool that the first show you remember seeing was Freddy Fender , and at a RODEO , YET. I DID'NT REALLY GET AN APPRECIATION FOR FENDER UNTIL I SAW HIM WITH THE TEXAS TORNADOS. 
      First time  I saw them , it was a big , free outdoor Country Music festival , here in Chicago. i was pretty far back , but , it was cool , I just walked over a couple of blocks , and Horton Heat was playing at this irritating yuppie seafood  place.  They'd play there for a few nights to supplement their income while they'd do one club date. This was before they were very popular outside of Texas , Oklahoma and California. About 1990. Jim's Drummer , that you mentioned , that was Patrick "Taz " Bentley. Jim was going thru Drummers like water . I can name five before he arrived at Patrick, and  that made up the "Classic" lineup with Jimbo Wallace.    IT'S COOL THAT YOU HAD A GOOD EXPERIENCE WITH LINK WRAY'S WIFE , OLIVE. MOST PEOPLE DID'NT.....She was a piece of work. Though , other people have told me if you got on her good side , you were Link's friend for life.

GattyGoon said:

The first show I remember is seeing Freddy Fender at a rodeo in El Paso, Texas.

The first punk show was in DC to see The Cramps, Tex Rubinowitz and the Teen Idles (Ian Mackaye pre- Minor Threat / Fugazi. The Cramps had to cancel because Brian Gregory wigged out and left the band. So I saw the other two bands.

The best shows were Cramps and Link Wray shows.

Although always great, some of the Cramps shows that stand out more.

The night my good friend (Stephen Blickenstaff) and I went backstage and Stephen presented Lux and Ivy with his artwork that became the famous "Bad Music For Bad People" cover art. After that we got in to their shows on the guest lists.

Another time we traveled to Pittsburg and were on the guest list (Thanks Stephen!) Reverend Horton Heat was opening for them. Backstage after the show Lux, Jim Heath and I stood around talking about serieal killers.

RHH's drummer asked if I wanted to go party and play music with them after the show. I declined as I had to drive back early the next day.

Good thing too, because It turned out - unknown to us - that The Cramps were staying in the same motel as we were. Lux came to our room to hang out.

He was wearing black pajamas with glow in the dark skeletons. He went into our bathroom and turned out the light so we could see them glow. He picked up my glow in the dark toothbrush and pretended to brush his teeth.

Ivy was tired and did not join us but she sent Stephen a gift. She had rinsed out the fringed outfit she had worn on stage that evening and layed it out on a motel towel to dry. Some of the black dye had stained the towel with a perfect image of her outfit in a shroud of turin sort of way. Lux gave the towel to Stephen and said that Ivy wanted him to have it.

The next morning as we were leaving town we stopped at a record store. After a few minutes the Cramps walked in too. So I got to spend thirty minutes or so talking about guitars and comic books with Ivy.

And a differnt show we headed to a local bar after they played and I got to sit, chat and drink with Harry Drumdini.

Link Wray was always great. Once at the Wax Museum in D.C. I was up at the front of the stage and this lady tapped me on my shoulder and asked if I would help her onto the stage which was about six feet off of the floor. She said that she was Link's wife. So I gave a boost and she was. Link was happy and gave me a smile and a nod.

• February 18, 2013 7:52 PM CST
    • Oh , Dave ,, sadly , that was the first time I saw The Cramps , was with Candy and Nick. Not sad that I saw them , sad that I had to wait nine years !!! But , there's all kinds of crazy rumors about Bryan after he left The Cramps. Well , some are'nt so crazy , like the one about his becoming a Tattoo ARTIST IN FLORIDA. iT'S POSSIBLE. DEX ROMWEBER TOLD ME BRYAN SHOWED UP AT ONE OF THEIR GIGS IN FLORIDA.... Another story had him managing an Adult Book store in or near Dallas.

dave said:

Whoo, ya done good!! The Cramps were one of the best shows I've ever seen, w/ Candy and Nick. They embody all that's great about rock and roll!

'Ja ever hear why Brian left the band? Bad trip? Anxiety?

Kinky's always good for a laugh, wish he'd won the election in Tejas. Be a better gun'nor, that's for sure.

Keep up the good karma,

Dave

GattyGoon said:

The first show I remember is seeing Freddy Fender at a rodeo in El Paso, Texas.

The first punk show was in DC to see The Cramps, Tex Rubinowitz and the Teen Idles (Ian Mackaye pre- Minor Threat / Fugazi. The Cramps had to cancel because Brian Gregory wigged out and left the band. So I saw the other two bands.

The best shows were Cramps and Link Wray shows.

Although always great, some of the Cramps shows that stand out more.

The night my good friend (Stephen Blickenstaff) and I went backstage and Stephen presented Lux and Ivy with his artwork that became the famous "Bad Music For Bad People" cover art. After that we got in to their shows on the guest lists.

Another time we traveled to Pittsburg and were on the guest list (Thanks Stephen!) Reverend Horton Heat was opening for them. Backstage after the show Lux, Jim Heath and I stood around talking about serieal killers.

RHH's drummer asked if I wanted to go party and play music with them after the show. I declined as I had to drive back early the next day.

Good thing too, because It turned out - unknown to us - that The Cramps were staying in the same motel as we were. Lux came to our room to hang out.

He was wearing black pajamas with glow in the dark skeletons. He went into our bathroom and turned out the light so we could see them glow. He picked up my glow in the dark toothbrush and pretended to brush his teeth.

Ivy was tired and did not join us but she sent Stephen a gift. She had rinsed out the fringed outfit she had worn on stage that evening and layed it out on a motel towel to dry. Some of the black dye had stained the towel with a perfect image of her outfit in a shroud of turin sort of way. Lux gave the towel to Stephen and said that Ivy wanted him to have it.

The next morning as we were leaving town we stopped at a record store. After a few minutes the Cramps walked in too. So I got to spend thirty minutes or so talking about guitars and comic books with Ivy.

And a differnt show we headed to a local bar after they played and I got to sit, chat and drink with Harry Drumdini.

Link Wray was always great. Once at the Wax Museum in D.C. I was up at the front of the stage and this lady tapped me on my shoulder and asked if I would help her onto the stage which was about six feet off of the floor. She said that she was Link's wife. So I gave a boost and she was. Link was happy and gave me a smile and a nod.

• February 18, 2013 4:12 AM CST
    • First: U2 and BB King

Punk: Sticky Filth or Nomeansno

Best: JPSE with the Dirty Three and Andrew WK free on a beach in Asia, Boris, Nomeansno, the Hasselhoff Experiment, Methdrinker with Beastwars

• February 18, 2013 8:10 AM CST
    • These guys: http://theblacktambourines.bandcamp.com/ They are absolutely amazing! A blend of garagepunk and fuzz drenched surf. One of my favorite current bands. I recommend Hombre or Chica as they hadn't quite figured out their sound on the first ep yet.

• February 19, 2013 12:23 PM CST
    • I got a Squire J Masciss Jazzmaster about a year ago for cheap ($399).  It's really swell.  After I got it, Squire came out with even cheaper Jazzmasters and Jaguars.  I'm constantly tempted to get a Jag to match my Bass VI but I can't justify it.

• February 18, 2013 9:07 PM CST
    • With more notice to plan/budget it'd be worth it for sure! A buncha bands are comin' round my neck of the woods on the way in/out for SXSW so that's cool & this Saturday I'm catching the Hi-Tone's last show with Oblivians & Barbara's. 5 hours 1 way & I hafta turn back around right after but that's not so bad as AR-NV. :)

• February 18, 2013 8:50 PM CST
    • Yeah , that'd be crazy.....Maybe there'll be something else you CAN get to in the "Spring" (Does anyone still have those?) or summer. I have'nt done a fest since two Ponderosa Stomps ago.

Jane Dear said:

I live like 24 hours away driving in a normal vehicle going a normal pace. A bus/train would take forever wouldn't it? That was mostly a joke... I've used up most of my days off and all the RT flights are like more than my rent. If I could live off a barter system I'd be content for life.

• February 18, 2013 8:08 PM CST
    • Yeah, if this was like 6 years ago... I'd be headed there already. :) I have a job and I barter everything I possibly can already. Small businesses don't usually have a budget for quality web development or graphic design even if it would actually make them more money, so I've traded out some pricey things before. Too bad airlines don't need me!

melissa scott said:

Yep, a lot of living in the Garage live on fresh air a lot of the time. Might have to go to barter if people don't have jobs, right?

• February 18, 2013 7:58 PM CST
    • Yep, a lot of living in the Garage live on fresh air a lot of the time. Might have to go to barter if people don't have jobs, right?

• February 18, 2013 7:41 PM CST
    • I live like 24 hours away driving in a normal vehicle going a normal pace. A bus/train would take forever wouldn't it? That was mostly a joke... I've used up most of my days off and all the RT flights are like more than my rent. If I could live off a barter system I'd be content for life.

• February 18, 2013 7:28 PM CST
    • I don't know where you live , and it's not my  biz , but , is it possible to take a bus or train? Maybe you could catch more sleep that way.

• February 18, 2013 3:27 PM CST
    • I keep calculating the drive and how I could legally stay awake until work on Monday.

melissa scott said:

I'm with Jane Dear BIG SIGHS!

• February 18, 2013 2:26 AM CST
    • Chin up , you at least have a better chance seeing The Sonics in Australia than I have , living in Chicago.

aspire said:

Um,no brainer, it's The Sonics !! Though Ide really like to see Tijuana Panthers and given that I'm in Australia, chances are very slim at this stage

• February 17, 2013 2:50 AM CST
    • Um,no brainer, it's The Sonics !! Though Ide really like to see Tijuana Panthers and given that I'm in Australia, chances are very slim at this stage

• February 18, 2013 2:39 PM CST
    • Heya-

Jason Rerun from St. Louis here. I don't know that I ever posted on this thread. Um, I'm 38 and currently reside in St. Louis, MO. I collect records, mainly '70s-'80s Punk, DIY, Garage, Indie stuff, but lotso' '60s garage, psych, glam, proto-punk, soul, etc too. Early Punk Rock is my main focus, though.

I run two record labels that mostly reissue '70s-'80s Punk and lowbrow Rock records. I also sell/buy/trade used records, cassettes, zines, posters and other music related stuff. You can check out the labels and part of the used stock at: www.RerunRecordsSTL.com

Send me a friend request!

Thanks

Jason

• February 18, 2013 8:13 AM CST
    • Show #409: "Bands & Artists Starting With P, Part 8" playlist:

The Purple Gang [UK] - "The Wizard"
      The Purple Gang [US] - "One Of The Bunch"
      The Purple Haze [AL] - "Shades Of Blue"
      The Purple Haze [TX] - "It's Getting Harder All The Time"
      The Purple Hearts - "Oh Hopes & Dreams & Tombstones"
      Purple Image - "Marching To A Different Drummer"
      Purple Passage - "Beyond Reality"
      The Purple Persians - "I Heard The Word"
      Purple Scurf - "Heavy Switch"
      The Purple Underground - "Count Back"
      Purple Wine - "It's My Mind"
      The Purpose - "Give In"
      Pussy [London] - "G.E.A.B."
      Pussy [Salisbury] - "The Knife"
      Pussy Cat - "La La Lu"
      The Pussycats - "Dressed In Black"
      The Pussyfoot - "Hasty Words"
      Putney Bridge - "Meaning Of Love"
      Mark Putney - "Don't Come Around Here Anymore"
      Puzzle [UK] - "Houla"
      Puzzle [US] - "Golden Butterfly/Got My Head Right Yesterday (Part II)"
      Pynk Peach Mob - "No Tears"
      The Pyramid - "Summer Of Last Year"
      The Pyramids [CA] - "Penetration"
      The Pyramids [CT] - "Before It's Too Late"
      The Pyramids [UK 1] - "Baby's Gone Away"
      The Pyramids [UK 2] - "Stay With Him"
      Pyrolator - "Die Einsamkeit Des Langstreckenläufers"
      Pythagoras Theorem - "Give A Damn"
      Python Lee Jackson - "In A Broken Dream"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/409.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/409.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750 ... Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• February 18, 2013 3:25 AM CST
    • I CLICKED ON FOR A REPLY. DID'NT MEAN TO. I'M A GUY - DEEEE DEEEE  DEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• February 18, 2013 3:24 AM CST
    • While I agree with you , Ghislaine , we need to establish some common ground , or we all stand to lose. It can be fun , and challenging in a good way , to play in a co-ed band. I have'nt been inmany bands ,but, nearly all of them had female members.Personally , I liked the dynamic. I was in a band with a woman who was a far better guitarist than me ,bu t, While I could'nt do what she did , she could'nt do what I did , and together , we really had something.

I really thought Punk was going to break down those barriers. Some women function better in an all - female setting, and , that's fine , too.....One of my favorite current femme - fronted bands , The Sirens , went from being four women to three women and two men.

They still KILL , when they choose to play , that is......

It's true, a lot of men can't handle women being sexually aggressive , or just aggressive at all.When I saw The Pandoras , the other 0men stayed away from the stage  area , they were horrified. I dug it. They were turning the tables on the guys.    I heard Texas Terri was kissing all these guys in the front row , and they freaked. HA HA HA !

• February 18, 2013 2:52 AM CST
    • The Pandoras had "I Live My Life" , obviously based on"Too Many People" by The Leaves ,but from a woman's point of view "I don't have to prove nuthin' to you. I don't have to talk or act like you ....Or wear a knee long skirt , to keep from getting hurt , or groom my shaggy hair , I don't see what you care. I live my life".