Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• February 28, 2013 2:47 AM CST
    • There's so many....Jerry Lee Lewis made , pretty much , any song his own.

There's so many Dylan covers that , I believe, were better than the originals....

Pretty much any by The Byrds - My Back Pages , Mr. Tambourine , Turn , Turn ,Turn , etc.

Elvis did a total of two Dylan songs. "Don't Think Twice , It's All Right " was just a studio jam that went on for 10 minutes , but really drove the point home......a putdown to the one who put him down. Saying "iT AIN'T NO BIG THING" WHEN IT IS.

it Ain't Me , Babe - Johnny Cash and even The Turtles.

It's aLL over Now , Baby Blue. - Them , Chocolate Watchband , 13TH Floor Elevators.

Isley Bros. - Lay , Lady Lay "Now some people say this cat knows a lot about a lot of things . Me , I like anything that's goy LAY in it !" (Ronnie Isley) 

Yardbirds - Most Likely You'll Go Your Way .

Solomon Burke - Maggie's Farm.

OK , to be fair , I heard Dylan doing "It Takes a Lot To Laugh , It Takes a Train To Cry" , recently. It beats Hell out of Blue Cheer's version.

• February 28, 2013 2:32 AM CST
    • Well , most people have never heard Bo's original. It seldom turns up on retrospective albums (It IS on his box set.). THE DOLLS ' VERSION IS MORE OVER THE TOP. I DON'T KNOW THAT IT'S BETTER , IN MY OPINION, but , it is the definitive version , the one everyone covers.

dave said:

I think the New York Dolls cover of "Pills" the Bo Diddley song is even greater than the original.

Also, anything the Mummies cover is saaaa-MO-kin'. Here's "Come On Up"

• February 28, 2013 2:28 AM CST
    • Of course , there's Blue Cheer's better - known version , and partly the inspiration for Dead Moon's "Rock like fuck " version.....Johnny Winter and John Mayall did all right versions , too.

Audio Gasoline said:

Dead Moon's cover of "Parchman Farm" knocks it out of the park, especially in contrast to Mose Allison's well-known jazzified piano blues original.

• February 27, 2013 2:16 PM CST
    • I think the New York Dolls cover of "Pills" the Bo Diddley song is even greater than the original.

Also, anything the Mummies cover is saaaa-MO-kin'. Here's "Come On Up"

• February 27, 2013 12:44 PM CST
    • Dead Moon's cover of "Parchman Farm" knocks it out of the park, especially in contrast to Mose Allison's well-known jazzified piano blues original.

• February 27, 2013 4:44 AM CST
    • Of course the "award of merit" goes to the "author" for the composition in any case, but occasionally you may have some covers which are better than the original song (at least subjectively).
      I have two, for my taste, to mention as my favorites:

This is a fantastic song of PJ!! And great Lyrics, by the way! But i really like more the Juliette version for the adding of the dash and vigor i was missing in the original, in a way...

And then this one, almost for the same reason:

This cover is excellent!! And so perfectly executed!!
      Well done Glitter Dick! Devilish good job! <3

Looking forward to discover some more! Yours!

• February 27, 2013 7:05 PM CST
    • I LOVE the clean!! NZ's finest!!

Korsy said:

I like The Clean, e.g. Aren't they lo-fi-"pioneers" in some fashion?

Either way, they are good.

• February 27, 2013 6:35 PM CST
    • I like The Clean, e.g. Aren't they lo-fi-"pioneers" in some fashion?

Either way, they are good.

• February 27, 2013 11:59 AM CST
    • colleen green, first base, peach kelli pop, nobunny, cumstain, daniel Johnston, and your girlfriend;)

• February 27, 2013 11:39 AM CST
    • So sad Boom Boom doesn't exist any more. Also like the Greg Lowery Budget Rock bands!

• February 27, 2013 10:18 AM CST
    • Budget rock kings... THE MUMMIES!!

Also, Supercharger, the Trashwomen, The Flying Dutchmen, the Pack, the Penetrators, the Fe Fi Fo Fums...

Speaking of Budget Rock, whatever happened to Boom Boom Party Records of Renton?

http://www.grunnenrocks.nl/label/b/boomboomofrenton.htm

• February 27, 2013 9:43 AM CST
    • Quite a fan of these genres, would like know who else is and what bands ya like? 

• February 27, 2013 7:01 PM CST
    • haha your right it is rather evil thinking about the way majors could sort their shit out! 

What i was thinking was for instance say universal started this kind of model and uploaded their back catalog in like say Flacs or another lossless file. Recalled all their digital rights and exclusively started releasing all their records on a site like this. Everybody would pay their monthly fee which kinda eliminates having to go out and get the new pop record because with your membership you essentially already have it as it gets released, and the artist gets their cut with the plays so their happy (maybe). It just seem that more and more people are only getting digital music these days and it seems odd that the majors aren't planning their next moves, just sitting there suing people and complaining.

theres so many details we rambled on about for a web based record company but they would just end up tedious and annoying....like drunk people haha

Audio Gasoline said:

I don't know, that sounds like two completely different business models - I think these pay-to-listen radio stations are happy as middle men in the music chain. Less risk, more reward, and a lot less work than running a record label.

I'm curious, in what ways do you see the majors using the pay-per-play model differently than it is currently being used? These sorts of pro-rated royalty payments are pretty standard fare for the common digital distribution channels. I just wonder what sort of evil musings you've come up with.

• February 27, 2013 12:11 PM CST
    • I don't know, that sounds like two completely different business models - I think these pay-to-listen radio stations are happy as middle men in the music chain. Less risk, more reward, and a lot less work than running a record label.

I'm curious, in what ways do you see the majors using the pay-per-play model differently than it is currently being used? These sorts of pro-rated royalty payments are pretty standard fare for the common digital distribution channels. I just wonder what sort of evil musings you've come up with.

• February 27, 2013 7:37 AM CST
    • Was having a couple with my flatmate the other night and we started discussing how these Spotify-type websites pretty much look like they will be the ones to rise up from the decline of traditional major record companies. Obviously nothing's gonna stop the underground releasing whatever it wants, how it wants, but the whole subscription and monthly fees essentially allowing you to "own" whatever gets released on the site whereas also paying the artist based on the number of "plays" tracks receive model looks like it might be the way forward for the majors.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

DIY For LiFe!!

• February 27, 2013 5:39 PM CST
    • Yup.  We have 14,000 likes and I am not sure how many know that we are a band.  We do regularly get new people out to the show because they like our social media.  These are people that turn into fans that like us because they just liked our pages because we were funny and they ended up liking the music.  If you grow your facebook or twitter fanbase it will turn to band fans.  A small percentage but every little bit helps.

Ted said:

facebook likes can be very misleading...friends of friends will like a band page just because a friend tells them to. So...even if the band blows dick they can have 15,000 likes and only a quarter to half of the likes are legit.

• February 27, 2013 7:25 AM CST
    • tick tick

Sir Rapley said:

The Facebook "like" system plays too much of a big role in peoples heads to whether or not what their producing is worth while. Its ridiculous to think that any good record company or any half decent booker/promoter would trust a websites polling numbers to their own ears or ability to see talent. You might be dealing with the wrong people

• February 27, 2013 7:12 AM CST
    • The Facebook "like" system plays too much of a big role in peoples heads to whether or not what their producing is worth while. Its ridiculous to think that any good record company or any half decent booker/promoter would trust a websites polling numbers to their own ears or ability to see talent. You might be dealing with the wrong people

• February 27, 2013 5:51 AM CST
    • What secures gigs, sales or whatever yardstick of success you may choose is not about social media likes but good music.

It is easy to get likes on social media - gaming the system is of no value - it is engaged fans who matter. But that said if the music sucks - well - it isn't going to happen.

• February 27, 2013 2:14 AM CST
    • Actually we miss money to have a good web site with tour dates and everything... in this condition, Facebook is a good free tool to keep in touch with fans. (and Garagepunk.com to !)

But as human beings, we keep talking to people... out of the social networks !

• February 26, 2013 10:57 PM CST
    • Amen. People who criticized me for not getting on it are now saying they wish they had'nt bothered. Not all of 'em. But , it IS killing how people communicate. Between that and texting , when do people ever TALK , even on the phone? When FB first started , some former friends from college were starting a chat group. They asked one friend I've always been in touch with to join. One of them , a longtime Born - Again Christian said to tell me to get on FB so he could TALK to me. I said , I'll  give him my phone number , if he has anything to say , he can say it to ME. TURNED OUT THE ONES WHO WERE'NT BORN AGAIN IN COLLEGE ARE , NOW , SO , THEY SNUBBED MY FRIEND FOR HAVING A MIND OF HIS OWN, AND HIS OWN PERSONAL BELIEFS......On the other hand , when it comes down to music , there may be reasons to join , but , I'm reading , now , there are plenty of reasons not to. How hard is it to e-mail a personal friend , or , God forbid , call 'em on the phone , if they're not on Face Book , to tell them you have a gig ? We used to do it , all time , not long ago.

Allerleirauh said:

Facebook is killing everything.

• February 27, 2013 12:00 PM CST
    • The Trip! Feb 24th show!  Celebrating Black History Month with our favourite artists! 

Listen here: http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20130224-0030-t1361665800.mp3

The setlist: 

JOHN LEE HOOKER  LET YOUR DADDY RIDE 

DEREK MARTIN  DADDY ROLLING STONE 
      THE SHIRELLES  PUTTY ( IN YOUR HANDS) 
      BOB & EARL  HARLEM SHUFFLE 
      KING COLEMAN  (DO THE) MASHED POTATOES 
      BARRETT STRONG  YOU KNOWS WHAT TO DO 
      BILLY LAMONT  SWEET THANG 
      LITTLE IKE  SHE CAN ROCK 

HOWLIN WOLF I ASKED FOR WATER
      MUDDY WATERS GOOD MORNING LITTLE SCHOOL GIRL
      LITTLE RICHARD SLIPIN AND SLIDIN
      BO DIDDLEY  BAD SIDE OF THE MOON 
      CHUCK BERRY HAVANA MOON

THE ISLEY BROTHERS TESTIFY
      JIMI HENDRIX …AND THE GODS MADE LOVE
      JIMI HENDRIX BURNING OF THE MIDNIGHT LAMP
      BLACK MERDA SOMETIMES I WISH
      FUNKADELIC RED HOT MAMA
      FUNKADELIC EULOGY AND LIGHT
      GINO WASHINGTON -DETROIT  OUT OF THIS WORLD 
      THE SAUCERS  CHA WAILEY ROUTA 
      LARRY WILLIAMS  SHORT FAT FANNIE 
      IKE TURNER  CUBANO JUMP (HEY MISS TINA) 
      BILL AND WILL  GOING TO THE RIVER 
      ANDRE WILLIAMS  MOZELLE 

IRMA THOMAS  BREAK-A-WAY 

• February 26, 2013 10:49 PM CST
    • Mastering is as important as any other step in the recording process-and by all means-BE THERE WHEN YOU MASTER IT-if you can...or send it to someone who understands the music you're playing and won't fuck with the vibe...mastering just takes whatever you did-that you like-makes it EVEN-each song-as every song-even though you recorded for instance 12 songs the same way-same sessions-each song is at a slightly different level, because when you mix each song, you may get a great vibe, but then notice that some songs aren't as loud -which is normal-then mastering just levels it all out-brings out the best tonal quality. I remember when a friend didn't master his album-and you had to turn up certain songs-this way you don't have to do that-

• February 26, 2013 10:39 PM CST
    • Fuzzfaces are great too if you can find one-I had a box of them back in the 70's--Hendrix used them a lot-and as I'd read above-you can't go wrong with a Big Muff-especially the silver and black ones from the 70's-there is an AMAZING one out in recent years-out of Japan-called the "Venemous Snake"-sounds like 'Over Under Sideways Down' Jeff Beck--I might be spelling 'Venamous' wrong-can't remember how it was on the fuzz-I used one awhile ago