Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• November 26, 2012 3:30 PM CST
    • Some of these videos are amazing and terrible all at the same time! I love it! You've opened my eyes!

• November 26, 2012 3:29 PM CST
    • Some of these videos are amazing and terrible all at the same time! I love it! You've opened my eyes!

• November 28, 2012 12:00 AM CST
    • LEADBELLY (Who should be in The Hall of Fame.) could fill in for Guthrie , were they both alive ,  and sing "The Bourgeois Blues".

Daibhid James said:

Personally I agree with Arlo Guthrie when his father Woody was posthumously inducted  and he said to the crowd of well dressed millionaires; "I don't know what my father would be if he were alive today but I can tell you one thing, he wouldn't be here."

Nuff Said.

• November 27, 2012 7:37 PM CST
    • Personally I agree with Arlo Guthrie when his father Woody was posthumously inducted  and he said to the crowd of well dressed millionaires; "I don't know what my father would be if he were alive today but I can tell you one thing, he wouldn't be here."

Nuff Said.

• November 27, 2012 3:19 PM CST
    • Link Wray

Love (Arthur Lee)

Syd Barrett

( why are these first 3 not in the hall right know?)

13th Floor Elevators

The Creation

The Easybeats

Spirit

Sixto Rodriquez :)

in near future:

Man Or Astro-Man?

Black Lips

Ty Segall

Thee Oh Sees 

White Stripes

• November 27, 2012 2:05 PM CST
    • Forgive me for digressing, but if Michael Jackson was convicted of being a paedo, would he be kicked out of the RRHoF?

• November 26, 2012 4:43 PM CST
    • I see so many good ones. Mine would be:

The Minutemen

The Cramps

13th Floor Elevators

MC5

Love

X-Ray Spex

Television

The Sonics

The Wailers

Os Mutantes

Wire

Dead Kennedys

The Monks

• November 27, 2012 9:54 PM CST
    • This week's program featured music from Link Wray, White Stripes, Holy Wave, Davie Allan & The Arrows, The Zombies, The Skaliwags, Lost Patrol, Iggy Pop and more. 

Download/Listen to the podcast here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20121127-1030-t1354012200.mp3

Check out my blog post this week on Link Wray's Big City After Dark single here:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2012/11/link-wray-big-city-after-dark-show-432.html

This week's play list: 

1. Holy Wave – Albuquerque Freakout
      2. Davie Allan & The Arrows – Blues Theme
      3. The Clique – You’ve Been Unfair
      4. The Yardbirds – Mister You’re A Better Man Than I
      5. Lowlands – Black Mask II
      6. John Cale – I Wanna Talk 2 U
      7. Drew Smith – Smoke & Mirrors
      8. Neil Jarvis – What’s Done Is Done
      9. Orphan Choir – Haunt The Highways
      10. The Blue Squares – Time To Get Over You
      11. The Checkerlads – Shake Yourself Down
      12. The Skaliwags – Turn Him Down
      13. The Zombies – Just Out of Reach
      14. White Stripes – Stop Breaking Down (Live at BBC Studios, Maida Vale)
      15. The Polymorphines – I Gotta Vibration
      16. The Baracudas – (I Wish It Could Be) 1965 Again
      17. Link Wray – Big City After Dark
      18. Link Wray – Hold It
      19. Pow Wows – Fire Song (Live WFMU September 15th, 2012)
      20. The Zeros – What’s  Wrong With A Pop Group
      21. The Scabs – Amory Building
      22. Lost Patrol – Dead or Alive
      23. Long Weekends – Shame On You
      24. Iggy Pop & James Williamson – Johanna

• November 27, 2012 3:01 PM CST
    • I prefier the orginal why is line going over my letters??

Dead Boy said:

The Fall-Outs did awesome cover!

MP3 sample 
      Axel Björnsson said:

I was never buying The Easybeats , had just listen to their hit friday on my mind. but then I found the lp in my mothers collection and checked it out. danm this song is awesome. 

• November 27, 2012 2:58 PM CST
    • True that.

Tersicore said:

To all including myself, the good news is: Learning never stops! 

(forwards, backwards, up and down, either way.... keep moving!:)

Axel Björnsson said:

I was never buying The Easybeats , had just listen to their hit friday on my mind. but then I found the lp in my mothers collection and checked it out. danm this song is awesome. 

• November 27, 2012 5:18 AM CST
    • The Fall-Outs did awesome cover!

MP3 sample 
      Axel Björnsson said:

• November 26, 2012 8:17 PM CST
    • They had a LOT of great songs. There's some cool early Australian TV clips on YouTube.

Tersicore said:

To all including myself, the good news is: Learning never stops! 

Axel Björnsson said:

• November 26, 2012 7:11 PM CST
    • To all including myself, the good news is: Learning never stops! 

Axel Björnsson said:

• November 26, 2012 3:57 PM CST
    •  

• November 27, 2012 2:21 PM CST
    • its the tits ! love it best amp i have ever had, got to get together with the band to break it in a bit, should have more time to rehearse soon.

not had a lot of experience with valves and their subtleties , my vt 40 did a reasonable job of emulating one but the real thing is SO ! much better. 

Winston Texas said:

In blue Tolex? Ok I'm sold! Any chance of a sample on here at some point?

• November 27, 2012 2:17 PM CST
    • ...Here's an idea I had......IT WON'T CHANGE CULTURES.

HAVE ANY OF YOU HEARD RUMORS ABOUT A PERSONALITY , IT COULD BE MUSIC , TV , MOVIES , LIVING A DOUBLE LIFE , TWO SEPARATE CAREERS AS TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE?  THE MOST UNLIKELY , BUT TRUE , CASE THAT I CAN THINK OF IS THAT UK GLAM ROCK STAR , ALVIN STARDUST , STARTED HIS CAREER ABOUT 10 YEARS EARLIER AS SHANE FENTON , AND HAD HITS , THEN , TOO. THE MACABRE ANGLE TO THE STORY IS THAT ALVIN (NEE.BERNARD WILLIAM JEWRY)WAS ACTUALLY REPLACING ANOTHER SINGER  WHO'D BEEN USING THE STAGE NAME OF SHANE FENTON , BUT , DIED , SUDDENLY.

INSTEAD OF COMING UP WITH A NEW NAME , THE PREVIOUS FENTON'S NAME WAS PASSED ON TO JEWRY/STARDUST , WHO , BY THE WAY , HAS A CONCERT COMING UP , DOING SHANE FENTON'S ACT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 46 YEARS.

BETTER KNOWN , STILL , ARE - ALICE COOPER /EDDIE HASKELL (KEN OSMOND) -

THE BIG HOAX.

KEN OSMOND/JOHNNY WADD (JOHN HOLMES)- THE EVEN BIGGER HOAX.

QUESTION MARK / JOHN KAY - OK , IF YOU LOOK AT EARLY STEPPENWOLF CLIPS AND REALLY TAX YOUR IMAGINATION , BUT , EVEN THEN , COME ON !!!!!

THE WEIRDEST ONE WAS A GUY ON THE EAST COAST CLAIMING TO BE PAUL WHALEY , FORMER BLUE CHEER DRUMMER , WHEN BLUE CHEER WERE STILL TOURING AND RECORDING , WITH WHALEY.  HE HAD NO PROOF HE WAS WHO HE SAID HE WAS, AND , ANYONE WHO'D SEEN PAUL ON TOUR KNEW HE HAD TO BE AT LEAST 20 YEARS OLDER , CONSIDERABLY THINNER ,AND NOT POSESSED OF A MULLET.  THE HOAXSTER CLAIMED THAT EVERY DRUMMER WAS GIVEN THE NAME PAUL WHALEY , AND THAT HE WAS JUST ONE OF THEM , AN EVEN BIGGER LIE THAN SAYING HE WAS THEE PAUL WHALEY.

THIS HALF - BAKED SERIES OF UNTRUTHS DID'NT SEEM TO HURT PAUL OR THE BAND  ANY, BUT , BEING MISREPRESENTED WHEN THEY WERE BREAKING THEIR ASSES , UNDER CONDITIONS MEN THEIR AGES NORMALLY WOULD'NT TOLERATE , TO RE-ESTABLISH THEMSELVES IN THE US , WAS'NT PART OF THE SOLUTION , IT WAS , OF COURSE , PART OF THE PROBLEM. 

• November 27, 2012 1:54 PM CST
    • You've got to hang on to those things. I don't tell people how to handle the pain of loss , but everyone who's lost a spouse said they told them , don't let this make you cynical. And try to find somebody else.  My late friend , Donna , used to call me from different shows and hold up the phone so I could hear....Sometimes , I think she might still call from whatever great show none of us could see , here , but , maybe say the rates are terrible , and hang up.

Kirk Teeters said:

Marta claimed to not believe in any kind of afterlife, but I can't shake the feeling that she'd come back and slap the crap outta me if I didn't find things to laugh about. When we were separated, she'd send me the longest most hilarious letters about what the kidz were up to. The funniest ones were about shit like "Well, Ian managed to totally destroy the dryer with a little green army-man..."

John Battles said:

Things like that happen.....I always tell people , you WILL find something about this to make you laugh. They'll be there to remind you. Its leading up to that point that's the hard part. I only recently learned there still IS a Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill.

Kirk Teeters said:

She'd have found it totally appropriate. I had expected at least one of the kids to give me a hard time about it, but they all thought that she'd have wanted it that way. And many's the time we laughed because her grandma missed her own funeral, because UPS didn't deliver the urn on time. Which grandma, in turn would have thought was hilarious.

John Battles said:

YOU KNOW ALL OF IT , IF YOU FEEL THAT'S WHAT SHE WOULD HAVE WANTED.

Kirk Teeters said:

I'd forgotten about the smoking the ashes bit! lol

On the other hand, I keep my late wife's ashes in a Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill bottle, so what  the hell do I know?

John Battles said:

BTW , We forgot the greatest rumor in recent Rock'n'Roll history.....Keith Richard smoking his Dad's ashes. He even had the press believing it , momentarily.

John Battles said:

It may be , that it goes back that far....Or it could , still , be a variation on the story of a Football team pulling a train on Louise Brooks......WITH her consent.

Mark George Harrison said:

I heard a few years ago, maybe from a Marc Almond interview, that he heard the story originated in the 50s about a (head?) cheerleader and a football team that she had been 'good' to. Maybe Rods publicist was re-cycling as well?

Kirk Teeters said:

I didn't care for Rod when I first heard him, cause he was doing 'disco-shit' like "Do ya Think I'm Sexy". It wasn't til later when I heard stuff like "Maggie May" and "the First Cut is the Deepest" that I appreciated his voice. And, no, I don't blame him for being pissed about the rumors. I got called a variety of nicknames in school because I was "all into that pansy-ass art stuff". LOL And, just like Rod, I was ALL about the women.

John Battles said:

It's so true. I have no particular admiration for Marc Almond , but , not knowing what it's like to be Gay , or someone in the public eye, I still know rumors can be really damaging. I don't think the original rumor did Rod Stewart any damage , but , who could blame him for being pissed off ? It took me YEARS to appreciate his singing at all , but , I knew , centuries ago , that he was all about women , just as women were all about him.   

Kirk Teeters said:

It really is interesting, from a sociological point of view. Now that we have the internet, these things can spread even faster (and in some cases be 'debunked' faster as well.) But rumors have spread faster than the speed of thought probably since the beginning of time.

John Battles said:

I GUESS MY TAKE ON IT IS , IS'NT IT POSSIBLE SOMEONE MERELY REVISED THE STORY , AND IT  TOOK OFF , ONCE AGAIN?
        If it happened , it would have been difficult for the press not to have a field day with it , and , by that I mean a few REAL newspapers , not The Sun , The Star or our own National Enquirer , Examiner , etc. Unless (Understandably) , Almond paid a lot of people off to be quiet.
      Nero said:

I can back Mark George Harrison up on this one, I was going to say the same thing until I came across his post. When I started reading this thread I had to Google the Rod Stewart myth to find out what is was, only to find that it was the one I'd heard attributed to Marc Almond, roughly around the time of 'Tainted Love', or a bit later. 

John Battles said:

IN SLADESPEAK : CUM ON , MAN , YER MAKIN THAT NOIZE UP.

Mark George Harrison said:

Strangely I'd never heard the Rod myth, here (UK) it was always credited to Marc Almond.

John Battles said:

YOU KNOW WHAT , YOU'RE RIGHT ! THERE IS A BOOK , THERE.....I heard it in Junior High at the same time. We were kids , not particularly progressive in our thinking , we wanted to believe certain things , but , in the back of my mind , I thought another kid at school made it up.  I did'nt hear the story again for YEARS , until my friend's band , Lava Sutra , made reference to it in a song. It WAS the equivalent of what "Going viral "is , today. Peter Bagge DID A HILARIOUS CARTOON , around that time ,  changing said Rock STAR'S NAME TO "Reginald".

trashman said:

Well we all know the Rod Stewart one.

But what I find interesting is how it all evolved.  I remember hearing it back in 4th or 5th grade (1979 or 80); but I heard it from a kid in a lunch room.  And I thought it sort of started there. Then I met kids in other high schools and they knew it.  Then onto college and they knew it.  Then professional life living all over the U.S. and they knew it.  

This rumor was spread before the days of the internet so remarkable the way it carried along an oral tradition (no pun intended) of storytelling.  Of course, we all got to an age we knew it was false but remarkable to the extent this dirty little rumor spread.  

I recently heard Rod Stewart address while doing the media tour for his new book.  It was started by an ex-publicist he fired.  Remarkable.  

The way this story spread via person to person in the late 70s/80s is worth a book in itself.

• November 27, 2012 12:39 PM CST
    • I've been a big fan of Ugly Pop since I bought the Raw Power Screams From the Gutter lp reissue back in high school. I've been loving the reissues lately, especially the Spys and Hot Nasties 7"s and the new Masters Apprentices 7" freakin A-W-E-S-O-M-E!

• November 27, 2012 12:28 PM CST
    • Donations are accepted at the Norton records website. I have a benefit show booked in Saint Paul Minnesota on Dec 27th. All door money will be sent to Norton. Bands are Cozy, Evil Bill, and the Shakin Babies and DJ Travis Ramin of the Fevers/Nikki Corvette fame will be spinning wax in-between sets. Come party! RSVP here http://www.facebook.com/events/166932416782861/ if you are in the area and want to go. Or throw your own party in YOUR city and raise some loot!

• November 26, 2012 7:42 PM CST
    • DAWNED ON ME , I DON'T THINK I HAVE THAT SINGLE. NOW , I HAVE A QUEST (WHERE AREMY COCNUT SHELLS?).

John Glover said:

.......and here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_GYLSlZ9Io

sideshow Barty said:

b side of nice 'n' sleazy by the stranglers is called shut up and comes in at a groovy 1.06.

• November 26, 2012 7:40 PM CST
    • Sounds like it's about Abigail Van Buren ,"Dear Abby" , probably the world's most famous  advice columnist (Not that the advice she dispensed was always any better than what you or I MIGHT SUGGEST.).

Andy Climax said:

Thought i'd throw the Kennedys in there. No idea who Abby is? But she got some good advice, haha

http://youtu.be/DlwY6Is7Y4o

• November 26, 2012 7:35 PM CST
    • The Stinky Shits "Get Around Me" (See Steel Rock Presents @ countcaffula's channel on You Tube)

• November 26, 2012 3:43 PM CST
    • I know schizophrenia medication makes users sick at times, which would be a reason why he stopped taking them. One of my friends is a psychaitrist and deals with people like him for a living, but he's also a film director too. He knows the type, but What did the Nathan Barley types know that you didn't?

John Battles said:

I would'nt say that the headbutting thing had anything to do with exacerbating his Schizophrenia , Chris , but , it's a good question. What I disagreed with was the fact that he'd go around head - butting total strangers. I would'nt want to get head - butted by a guy one - third his size , but , that's just me. Some people wanted to be head - butted , that's all good and well. But he seemed unable , or too uncaring , to differentiate between the two. I think he mainly got kicked out of clubs because he intimidated paying customers , when it's extremely unlikely that he ever had to pay for anything at venues where he was known , at least. I once saw him try to pay for a burrito at a taqueria with one of his CDs. Someone told him , Wesley , that won't fly here , you HAVE to pay the guy. I could'nt help but notice when he opened his wallet , right in front of me  . There must have been about a hundred to two hundred dollars within , and he was trying to barter with a man that did'nt speak English , nor know of his local celebrity.   The other thing , I would imagine , is , well , his hygeine issues are well - documented , I don't need to go there.

The first time I saw him have an episode (And this was after I'd seen him in passing for years , and did'nt know he heard voices.) he was screaming that he had a gun and a knife , and he was going to kill somebody.

I think all the hipsters knew the score , but , hey , I did'nt. I did'nt think he was really armed , but , he sounded like something out of "Scared Straight". He used intimidation with people to try to get them to by his CDs. I saw him practically crush a woman's arm , one time , yelling "BUY MY CD !!", and she was even apologetic  about it , saying she just did'nt have the money..... I never saw the charming sweetheart that people always said he was , but, I'll say this , when he got on meds , he did seem like he was doing better. I don't know if he stayed on them , later on.   I don't know. I , personally , never had a bad run - in with him , but , i DID'NT GET IT WITH HIM , EITHER . He had some funny songs , just not , in my opinion , funny or interesting enough for me to consider purchasing. He had some hilarious catch phrases , too. But Chicago is full of what JAMES PORTER DUBBED "R'n'B ECCENTRICS". i'LL TAKE LORD OF LIGHTNING , BIG DOO - WOPPER AND EVEN SHARKULA OVER WESLEY , GOD REST HIS SOUL , JUST THE SAME.

Roky Erickson , of course , was also diagnosed with Schizophrenia (That diagnosis was later put to question.). Schizoprenia , of course , is incurable and is not the fault of those who have it. The big difference , here , though , is that Roky is a musical genius.

Chris Henniker said:

He greeted people with a headbutt, but I wonder whether this exacerbated his Schizophrenia. He harangued his audience with insults, which is why he got kicked out, but didn't he try and control his outbursts?

IDON MINE said:

Various reasons I think. He could be quite vocal at times and coming from his illness, could burst into fits, that he sometimes wasn't able to control. Beyond being a charming guy, in his own way. Wes was just an intense fella.

Also as you sure have heard, his favorite way to say "hi" was to headbutt you (and all kinds of objects, he liked or didn't), hence the mark on his forehead. But John can sure tell more, being local and all.

Chris Henniker said:

Why was he thrown out of venues? He wasn't like GG Allin.

John Battles said:

The Hipsters in Chicago DID devour Wesley , so to speak. But , I think his following was on the wane , and , as noted earlier , I'd been told , by an employee at one of the few places that still admitted him , that every other club in town had banned him , probably meaning every club that , up to that point , he frequented. I used to see him around , with his drawing pad , before he made his way into the Rock club scene , and when he still had an afro. I was'nt even aware that he was mentally ill. He seemed about as low - key as a person his size could probably be. I don't know when he was diagnosed with Schizophrenia , but , many people who are , turn out to be misdiagnosed , they may have something similar , but not always the same thing.

IDON MINE said:

Oh yeah, Wes is the thing! Coming to think of it:

I can only imagine that he would have been eaten up by the new "performance art show" crowd of nowadays, for his, uhm, all natural looking "act." Only to headbutt them  for a hello, haha!

Chris Henniker said:

Anyone like Wesley Willis? A true outsider musician if there ever was one, who was so bad, he was great.

• November 26, 2012 3:31 PM CST
    • YOU'RE PROBABLY RIGHT ABOUT THE INSULTS BEING A FACTOR....BUT , I NEVER SAW HIM PERFORM. DID'NT FEEL A NEED TO. I THOUGHT A LOT OF PEOPLE WERE MAKING FUN OF HIM , TOO , OR HAD JUST HAD THEIR FILL AND RESORTED TO RUDE COMMENTS , WHICH I'M NOT TRYING TO DO , HERE.

HOW MUCH HE COULD OR COULD'NT CONTROL HIS OUTBURSTS , I COULD'NT REALLY SAY.  

Chris Henniker said:

He greeted people with a headbutt, but I wonder whether this exacerbated his Schizophrenia. He harangued his audience with insults, which is why he got kicked out, but didn't he try and control his outbursts?

IDON MINE said:

Various reasons I think. He could be quite vocal at times and coming from his illness, could burst into fits, that he sometimes wasn't able to control. Beyond being a charming guy, in his own way. Wes was just an intense fella.

Also as you sure have heard, his favorite way to say "hi" was to headbutt you (and all kinds of objects, he liked or didn't), hence the mark on his forehead. But John can sure tell more, being local and all.

Chris Henniker said:

Why was he thrown out of venues? He wasn't like GG Allin.

John Battles said:

The Hipsters in Chicago DID devour Wesley , so to speak. But , I think his following was on the wane , and , as noted earlier , I'd been told , by an employee at one of the few places that still admitted him , that every other club in town had banned him , probably meaning every club that , up to that point , he frequented. I used to see him around , with his drawing pad , before he made his way into the Rock club scene , and when he still had an afro. I was'nt even aware that he was mentally ill. He seemed about as low - key as a person his size could probably be. I don't know when he was diagnosed with Schizophrenia , but , many people who are , turn out to be misdiagnosed , they may have something similar , but not always the same thing.

IDON MINE said:

Oh yeah, Wes is the thing! Coming to think of it:

I can only imagine that he would have been eaten up by the new "performance art show" crowd of nowadays, for his, uhm, all natural looking "act." Only to headbutt them  for a hello, haha!

Chris Henniker said:

Anyone like Wesley Willis? A true outsider musician if there ever was one, who was so bad, he was great.