Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• May 24, 2012 11:29 AM CDT
    • Me either....I received an email from Underground Garage with the message that is on the website posted below.The email had a link to take me to this website, which i thought would have more info....it doesn't.

Is it a joke?? I dunno, but it sure PISSED me off when i read the $ amounts!!

kopper said:

What the fuck? Is that a joke? If so, I don't get it...

whatwave dave said:

Check this out.....

http://www.rockandrollforever.org/tickets

• May 24, 2012 11:26 AM CDT
    • Actually, I think money (read: GREED) trumps testosterone.

Mike Humsgreen said:

Men are generally short on that when they have a goal in sight. Check out what men will do for women and it becomes understandable. I'm sure women too, but all the best examples of loss of self respect I can think of are testosterone ones.

Mardy Pune said:

Man, that is some serious bullshit. Scary to think that some bands will buy into it so they can play. Whatever happened to self-respect?

• May 24, 2012 5:18 AM CDT
    • Men are generally short on that when they have a goal in sight. Check out what men will do for women and it becomes understandable. I'm sure women too, but all the best examples of loss of self respect I can think of are testosterone ones.

Mardy Pune said:

Man, that is some serious bullshit. Scary to think that some bands will buy into it so they can play. Whatever happened to self-respect?

• May 24, 2012 3:06 AM CDT
    • Man, that is some serious bullshit. Scary to think that some bands will buy into it so they can play. Whatever happened to self-respect?

• May 24, 2012 10:45 AM CDT
    • I would have to say the stones hands down

• May 24, 2012 6:45 AM CDT
    • King Blood, Spacin', Eidetic Seeing.  All are very psych.

• May 23, 2012 2:42 PM CDT
    • Yeah I know about the comp series. Full of great stuff. But I'm not only talking about garage. Like the thread about what was happening in your local scene there were more types of good music and sometimes I wanna check out something else than punk. I look at this thread as an opportunity for people (who like garage,psych,cool fresh music as well) to post some new fresh shit that blow their minds, that can be anything. Instead of checking out some blogspot and only find some lame booring fresh shit I want to have this spot here.

Maybe someone can show me some good blogspots instead? 

• May 23, 2012 2:21 PM CDT
    • Not exactly new , but T.Tex Edwards and The Purple Stickpin , Pierced Arrows , The Dyes , and I dunno......It's still not to late for The Sirens , either.

• May 23, 2012 11:04 AM CDT
    • seriously. if those don't keep you busy for several hours and get you all jazzed up then you just ain't into this music!

kopper said:

You could always check out the Hideout Comp Series. Seven volumes chock full of new bands from right here on the Hideout!

• May 23, 2012 10:46 AM CDT
    • Broncho. Debut LP is "Can't Get Past The Lips"

And while not a new band, maybe check out JEFF the Brotherhood. Blistering stuff.  

• May 23, 2012 10:19 AM CDT
    • I've been surprised at how many good bands I've discovered on Bandcamp. If you haven't already, check out The Spyrals, Great Society Mind Destroyers, Magic Shoppe, and Radar Eyes.

• May 23, 2012 10:09 AM CDT
    • We're hardly new, but we do have a new release that you might dig. Check our page here to hear it.

• May 23, 2012 10:07 AM CDT
    • You could always check out the Hideout Comp Series. Seven volumes chock full of new bands from right here on the Hideout!

• May 23, 2012 9:09 PM CDT
    • Rock 'n' Roll Suicide was a fav.

• May 23, 2012 7:44 PM CDT
    • You may be right. In fact, you probably are. I never actually said The Beatles weren't great. Honestly, I think they did some great stuff. I just get really tired of people trying to give them credit for creating sounds that they didn't create. Did they help open some doors? Sure. There were hundreds of bands already beating on those doors that would have gotten them open one way or another. Let's give rock and roll itself a little credit here.

G. Wood said:

Those were different times, before the industry learned how to shove shit down people's throats.

RJFait said:

I want to believe that, but... rap music, Lady Ga-Ga, The boys and girls coming out of Nickelodeon and the Disney Channel, almost every #1 hit before and after The Beatles, all make me think talent is the one thing 'musicians' don't need to be considered great. I'm in no way saying The Beatles weren't talented, but that's never been enough for any other band ever.

Dana V. Hatch said:

if they hadn't been great songwriters with an exciting new sound it wouldn't have worked.

• May 23, 2012 7:27 PM CDT
    • Those were different times, before the industry learned how to shove shit down people's throats.

RJFait said:

I want to believe that, but... rap music, Lady Ga-Ga, The boys and girls coming out of Nickelodeon and the Disney Channel, almost every #1 hit before and after The Beatles, all make me think talent is the one thing 'musicians' don't need to be considered great. I'm in no way saying The Beatles weren't talented, but that's never been enough for any other band ever.

Dana V. Hatch said:

if they hadn't been great songwriters with an exciting new sound it wouldn't have worked.

• May 23, 2012 7:18 PM CDT
    • I want to believe that, but... rap music, Lady Ga-Ga, The boys and girls coming out of Nickelodeon and the Disney Channel, almost every #1 hit before and after The Beatles, all make me think talent is the one thing 'musicians' don't need to be considered great. I'm in no way saying The Beatles weren't talented, but that's never been enough for any other band ever.

Dana V. Hatch said:

• May 23, 2012 6:28 PM CDT
    • And that's the thing.  While the Beatles weren't the first to bring fancy chord progressions into rock music,  I think they certainly played a big part into bringing into the forefront.  I think a lot of sixties bands would have been happy just continuing with 1-4-5 (or 1-3-4) progressions but how long would that have lasted?  Sophisticated music would have happened but I don't think it would have been rock.

Dana V. Hatch said:

The Beatles were the spark that launched the golden age of garage rock like Elvis sparked the rockabilly explosion. I don't buy the money/hype argument, if they hadn't been great songwriters with an exciting new sound it wouldn't have worked.

• May 23, 2012 5:47 PM CDT
    • Yeah...I don't know.  Hopefully,  a lot of the early guys would have been buying r and b singles without having to hear black music in churches and that influence but it seems the style of church music that these guys were singing was imitated from the black churches that were nearby and not church music like that of old world Europe.  The work songs were evolving into spirituals but you're right....who's to say that works songs wouldn't have evolved into something else.

G. Wood said:

I'm going to take exception to that one statement. Certainly Gospel did have a big impact on the development of blues, folk, soul and rock, but if Gospel never existed, if people never incorporated music into their church services and praise rituals, or if African slaves had never accepted the white man's faith, there was already enough indigenous Black music to evolve and branch into other forms. Work songs probably predate Gospel in America, and African songs and rhythms certainly do.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

...none of those original rock and rollers would exist either if not for Gospel. 

• May 23, 2012 2:46 PM CDT
    • Pulled double duty again this week fillingin for the Folk/Blues show and doing my usual Revolution Rock program. 

Download Revolution Blues (Some Folks Get The Blues Fill-In) here:
      http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/536-Some_Folks_Get_The_Blues-20120522-0900-t1337673600.mp3

Download Revolution Rock here:

http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20120522-1030-t1337679000.mp3

Check out this week's blog post on The Secrets (featuring members of The Viletones/The Diodes):

http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2012/05/take-another-look-secrets-show-404.html

The play lists:

Revolution Blues:

1.  Rosco Gordon – No More Doggin’

2.  Jimmy Reed – Shame, Shame, Shame

3.  Junior Wells – Come On In The House

4.  Frank Frost – Harp and Soul

5.  Toussaint McCall – Shimmy

6.  Deer Tick – Friday XII

7.  Joel Plaskett Emergency – Somewhere Else

8.  Twin Library – Archives

9. Leeroy Stagger – Travelling Over Water

10. Indian Wars – Won’t Do A Thing

11. Pow Wows – No, Thirteen

12. The Angry Dead Pirates – Being

13. The Nevermores – Like A Pill

14. Wolfy & The Bat Clubs – Guy Like Me

15. The Molting Vultures – Cool Right Down

16. Allen Wayne – Chills & Fever

17. Grey Kingdom – When Seasons Drown

18. Woody Guthrie – Ranger’s Command

19. Leland Sundries - VFW Hall

20. The Mark Inside – The Bottom Line

21. Neil Young – Revolution Blues

22. Bob Dylan & The Band – Ballad Of A Thin Man (Live Liverpool Odeon Theatre May 14 1966)

Revolution Rock:

23. Holograms – Chasing My Mind

24. Rotten Tropics – Spectre Tectonics

25. Dum Dum Girls – Just A Creep

26. The Imagineers – The Legend of John The Terror (Notorious)

37. Is/Is - Moon Dropping

28. Bittersweet Draw – Leavin’ Hinton (CJSW Session)

29. The Gerry Alvarez Odyssey – In the Garden

30. Little Roosters – I Need A Witness

31. The Pygmies – She Lied (CJSW Session)

32. Ex-Boyfriends – Bubblegum (CJSW Session)

33. The Ugly – All Because of You (Live)

34. Blue Peter – Time & Money

35. The Secrets – Teenage Rampage

36. Dik Van Dykes - Pterodactyl

37. Blue Orchids – House That Faded Out

38. 101’ers – 5 Star Rock N’ Roll Petrol

39. Thee Mighty Caesars – Now I Know

40. Brian James – I Can Make You Cry

41. Iggy Pop – Some Weird Sin

42. The Hives – The Hives Are Law, You Are Crime

43. Generation X – From The Heart

44. Wire - Please Take (Black Session)

45. The Strangeloves - Night Time

46. The Vagrants - Respect

47. Square Root of Margaret - Attack of Giant Problem vs. the Creature from the Planet of the Incredible Sinking Solution

48. Black lips – Fairy Stories

• May 23, 2012 11:28 AM CDT
    • @chris h;
      not sure what you are getting at but here's a reply:

Queen couldn't have sounded like a surf band without Brian May due to riding lawnmowers circling pure oak whiskey barrels at Mount Rushmore. That's why I like Millard Fillmore.