Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Bizarre Guitars and Gear

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 25, 2012 11:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey fellow freaks, I've been writing about weird gear for a while and thought I'd post some it for y'all to check out.  I basically grew up playing pawn shop guitars and grew to really love them.  They can still be had for cheap, and with a little work, can be everyday players!  Plus they have the garage sound in spades!!  Here's some examples of what I'm talking about:

Tiki Mask guitar

Bomber Boxx Fuzz

I have tons of weird guitar pics and just run the site as a hobby/passion, and I'd really dig talking oddball gear wit ya. 

Cheers

Franco

• June 9, 2012 8:21 AM CDT
    • Untitled

Thanks. I asked because he was interested in Zim-Gar models. I have one branded Howard, it's like the one on the cover of the 1st Hound Dog Taylor album, but with 2 pickups.

• June 8, 2012 9:35 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's an aussie friend of mine, he's still working on completing the Teisco page.  Right now he's collecting information.

• June 7, 2012 5:58 AM CDT
    • Untitled

Oh...that's the page I was reading. I thought there was another site.

• June 6, 2012 9:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Here's the link to that Teisco page.  It is getting a lil cluttered on my site...

• June 6, 2012 5:59 AM CDT
    • Untitled

I was reading the article about your friend who has a Teisco site, but I didn,t see a link to it.

• May 29, 2012 4:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nope, I never did see that site called Bunnybass, but it sounds like something I would've loved!  And the Bomber Boxx, it's one of my favorites, and it's cheap.  I get so pissed when I see NEW fuzz pedals selling for well over $200 or $300.  It's like an insult or something, I can't quite put my finger on it.  I built a few pedals over the years, and the components, unless they're rare NOS, are so cheap.  The BB used to sell for $110 brand new, but I'm not sure what Sean sells them for lately.  The cool thing is, it's his own circuit design as far as I know.  Totally original

• May 29, 2012 1:37 AM CDT
    • Untitled

Did you ever go to a site called Bunnybass? It was gallery after gallery of bizarre looking Bass Guitars. Its gone now, a real shame.

• May 27, 2012 10:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wow, they are really bad! Very crude, the original bridge was something like balsa wood wrapped in metallic foil.  Communist era prudence combined with little to no guitar building experience went into these Urals.  The wiring is the craziest thing I've ever seen! Once they're wired point to point they sound great!  Here's a good article about the Ural guitars, and they're still cheap to buy.

• May 27, 2012 9:44 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Nice! Yeah, I have read that they're unplayable junk, looks like you proved them wrong. Were the frets really that bad? Was it wear, or just poor work?

• May 27, 2012 6:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Has anyone ever played a Russian guitar???  Here's a Ural video demo we did...

• May 26, 2012 5:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah man, I was looking around in the other threads and saw lots of cool guitars!

• May 26, 2012 2:15 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Wow. You have some cool stuff. Love the tiki! I'm very fond of waht you call "pawn shop guitars" too, and have posted pictures of some of mine in the other gear thread recently.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel