Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• November 28, 2011 1:06 PM CST
    • Daddy Long Legs from NYC is a killer raw R&B harmonica blasting and screaming band. There's always The Great Gaylord of Norton Records of course. I play some honking R&B tenor saxophone in  the really worst of the raw trashy NYC bands The Jigglers. Luis & the Wildfires are really good on the west coast. The Phantom Surfers are killer and when Russell Quan gets to screaming "Shake" and "Henrietta" it's some seriously awesome and wild berserk rock n' roll.

• November 27, 2011 8:38 PM CST
    • Thanks Brother

!

Joe said:

Don Juan y Los Blancos!

http://youtu.be/7nq2EZT5SXg

The podcasts are a great place to find new bands.  Check out Mottey's Garage Black & Blues Show.  Shout Bamalama is great too, but I think it's mostly artists of yesteryear.

• November 27, 2011 8:29 PM CST
    • Don Juan y Los Blancos!

http://youtu.be/7nq2EZT5SXg

The podcasts are a great place to find new bands.  Check out Mottey's Garage Black & Blues Show.  Shout Bamalama is great too, but I think it's mostly artists of yesteryear.

• November 27, 2011 8:04 PM CST
    • Hey guys, I'm looking for some new stuff mostly Raw R and B stuff like Bunker Hill style, Nic Curran, Little Richard, JD McPherson. Lo-fi Raw Screamin' Rock and Roll. Any Suggestions? Thank you

• November 28, 2011 3:23 PM CST
    • Nov 28th!  Wrekking Hrs is ON THE AIR! tune in now online at http://ping.fm/tx4Q6 or 89.3FM

This week featuring Local Detroit boys the Lazy Crazies! & the Phantom Shakers along with new music from Rosie Flores.  

For the Psychobilly hour old skool from the Klingonz, Cenobites, Mad Sin and much much more.

For PC users tune in now for the live show at 

http://whfr.fm/sites/default/whfrwmp.asx

For Mac users tune in now for the live show at

http://whfr.primcast.com:4184/listen.pls

Don't forget to search our playlist for "The Wrekking Hours" to find all the weekly line-ups.

• November 28, 2011 1:06 PM CST
    • Hey there, I'm Sam. I'm 31, at least for the time being, and I'm from Western PA, more specifically New Castle (directly east of Youngstown, Ohio). I used to be the singer for a band called Dead City Dealers. I've been writing music and lyrics since I was about 15. I think. I've been in a bunch of bands over the last ten or so years, all of which I was a founding member. They would all either morph into the next band or break up due to someone moving away. The last band I simply left and told them to carry on without me. Now I just record at home when I get the urge.

As well as playing in bands, I've been an internet radio DJ, a promoter, a graphic artist, a critic, and a webzine editor/webmaster. For a straight job, I cook at a college.

I'm into punk music in most of it's forms, and all of the other types of rock 'n roll that lead up to and have influenced it. I used to fancy myself as having a decent body of knowledge when it comes to rock 'n roll and punk rock, specifically '70s punk, but I've come to realize that there's always a lot more out there than what I already am familiar with. I like discovering new stuff. So if you think you've got something for me to hear that you think might be up my alley, let me know.

Other than music, I basically just like watching movies, messing around online, hanging out, enjoying the occasional adult beverage, and good food.

I have a Blogger site, if anyone wants to check it out, and there are links in the left sidebar to other places you can find me. It's http://samsinister.blogspot.com/

• November 28, 2011 12:06 PM CST
    • Hear now the"Promise is a promise"LP- but what I just wrote on Thursday:THE EARLY YEARS cd  is the best(for me!!).Even the vinyl box-set with the LP "On Fyre;Buried alive;Someone who´ll treat you right now" is great stuff but has not this raw,energetic power of the early years.

All in all LYRES are GREAT-specially L I V E...

• November 28, 2011 5:59 AM CST
    • Lyres and DMZ are absolute classics!  Lyres were the first garagepunk show I ever saw.  Their live energy is incredible.

• November 28, 2011 11:42 AM CST
    • Fuzztones+Screamin´Jay Hawkins-LIVE!!Very nice-check it out and you´ll love it.

• November 28, 2011 5:16 AM CST
    • Spook and the Ghouls who released an album called the Whitechapel mureders on Nervous in the late 80s, includes a version of bela Lugosis dead!

• November 28, 2011 1:02 AM CST
    • What girl bands are you listening to at the moment?

• November 27, 2011 4:48 PM CST
    • Awww and I was hoping for the 1st Dr Feelgood (& the Interns)...  which would in my opinion make a better movie?

• November 26, 2011 2:20 PM CST
    • www.last.fm/user/PopeyeSquirm

I'm amazed that my musical compatibility with nearly everybody else who's posted so far is either "very high" or "super."

• November 25, 2011 11:57 PM CST
    • Last.fm is currently the bane of my existence. The site is cool and the features are cool, but the similar artists for our band is all jacked and there's no way to fix it. Pretty frustrating, also frustrating to get them to delete the pictures when your lineup changes and stuff. 

I guess it's my fault for ignoring last.fm for the last four years. We used to be on a super extra-punk label and I guess a lot of bands who wanted to be on that label tagged their stuff as being similar to ours and it's not at all. Just as an example listen to this song and then click on any of the "similar artists" - apples to oranges.

Anyone else have their band's stuff up there? Have you ever had this problem? Right now we're trying to get our street team to "scrobble" so that this gets fixed, but they don't say how often they re-set the "similar artists" thingy

• November 26, 2011 6:18 PM CST
    • Hmmm... Lots of interesting perspectives here. Personally i doubt whether CDs will 'disappear' - certainly not by next year. But they have now joined vinyl and cassette as 'old-tech', but like them, will continue to be produced for the forseeable future. All the formats, digital and hard-copy, can - and do - co-exist, with people using whatever suits or attracts them.

I agree with kopper that, as a long-time radio DJ, playing ALL vinyl on-air was a pain-in-the-arse and that CDs were a boon! We have been mp3-ing our new release CDs at the station for the past seven years or so, and have an on-going job of adding the older CDs to that collection, whilst still keeping our CD/vinyl/tape collection active (we have over 70,000 items from our 31 years of broadcasting, a very cool library to play from, I can assure you!), so, as DJs, we have the choice of using all, or just one, of the various formats (including using our personal iPods). On our shows, the Cat and I generally use CDs because of their 'easiness', with some vinyl (particularly rare local singles or albums) and very occasionally, something from the mp3 collection. We hardly ever use the iPod due to its inferior sound quality... though we do use music sourced from downloads in our "Obscured by..." show, this is because it's the only way we can get hold of some of these rarities to play, so we put up with the sound.

All these formats have their positives and their negatives and each person will use/buy whichever is most relevant to them... but I do agree that there is nothing quite like the feel/look/sound - and even smell - of vinyl products! [I am very proud of the vinyl that my music has been released on - though last year's single had a download card included - but as it was a 'limited release' of 200 (pic sleeve and bonus inserts etc), I am glad it still lives on available to buy as a download-only]

Yep... I'm still a vinyl junkie!!!

• November 26, 2011 6:32 AM CST
    • Horrible, that they should stop CDs. Having to download albums would suck. I hate the industry. Wish they'd keep all the shops open and stop downloads instead.

• November 26, 2011 2:26 AM CST
    • Show #351: "Seven Year Anniversary Show" playlist:

Algarnas Tradgard - "Takeoff/Interstellar Cruise"
      Sunday Funnies - "It's Just A Dream"
      Friends - "Mythological Sunday"
      Dick Dale & The Del-Tones - "Surf Beat"
      Paul Parrish - "Numbers"
      The Smoke - "Playing With Magic"
      Canterbury Glass - "Gloria"
      Mick Ronson - "Growing Up And I'm Fine"
      The 1910 Fruitgum Company - "(Poor Old) Mr. Jensen"
      The Frantics - "Think About It"
      New Trolls - "To Edith"
      Bloodrock - "Breach Of Lease"
      Ross - "The Edge/Nearer And Nearer"
      Snow - "Sweet Dreams"
      Ohio Express - "Turn To Straw"
      The Electric Flag - "See To Your Neighbor"
      Friendsound - "Love Sketch"
      Michel Polnareff - "Voyages"
      Tiny Tim - "The Other Side"
      Hard Meat - "Smile As You Go Under"
      Bobb Trimble - "Premonitions - The Fantasy"
      Jack Kittel - "Psycho"
      Jamme - "Poor Widow"
      Supertramp - "Give A Little Bit"
      Sunday Funnies - "You And I"
      Jaime Brockett - "Legend Of The U.S.S. Titanic" -
      National Lampoon - "Magical Misery Tour"
      Doug Snyder & Bob Thompson - "Teenage Emergency"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/351.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/351.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• November 26, 2011 12:10 AM CST
    • Shake off that tryptophan hangover with a sonic barrage of kick-ass garage, punk, and trashy rock and roll.  Murder City Nights #12 is available now - featuring the Consumers, Urinals, Mau Maus, Molls, King Khan, Zakary Thaks and more. Smash it up!

Set List:

• Killing - Subhumans
      • Red Rum - Red Scare
      • Anti Anti Anti - The Consumers
      • The American In Me - The Avengers
      • Keep On Knocking - Death 
      • Doomsday Romantic - The Hex Dispensers
      • Why Do We Suffer - Mau Maus
      • Black Hole - Urinals
      • Teenage Rear Action - The Parents
      • White Stains - Molls
      • This Perfect Day - The Saints
      • Kill the Bee Gees - Accidents
      • Don't You Know - Devo
      • Victims - The Skulls
      • Somebody's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight - The Rezillos
      • That's How I Escaped My Certain Fate - Mission of Burma
      • Amerika First - Feelers
      • Land Of The Freak - King Khan & the Shrines
      • I'll Make You Sorry - The Odds
      • Ready for Action - Mexican Moustache 
      • Way It's Gonna Be - The Cynics
      • On Fyre - Lyres
      • Heartbreaker - Sultans
      • Bad Girl - Zakary Thaks

http://garagepunk.ning.com/profiles/blogs/murder-city-nights-12

• November 25, 2011 8:03 PM CST
    • 11/25/11

Download or stream the entire Nov. 25th show right here. Find Zero Hour on Facebook here.

Cleopatra – The Precisions 
      Heads Up, High Hopes Over You – The Pharaohs 
      Caesar – Ty Segall
      Queen of the World – Andre Williams
      I Couldn’t Spell !!*@! – Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs
      Little Egypt – The Coasters

Diet, Crime & Delinquency – Personal & the Pizzas
      A Guy Like That – Midnite Snaxx
      Gotta Have Her – The Penetrators
      Gloria’s Dream – The Belfast Gypsies
      Baby Jessica – The Barreracudas
      Wild – The Gentrys

Friday at the Hideout – Thee Gravemen
      Gonna Find a Cave – Mondo Topless
      Tarantula – Los Straitjackets
      Tura Faster Pussycat – Dustaphonics

You – Stupidity
      Cooking With Gas – Red Hot Rebellion

Local Lunchbox
      Teenage Monster – The Catholic Boys
      Lively One – The Mistreaters
      Where Have All the Lovely Ladies Gone – The Catholic Boys
      I Won’t Like You – The Mistreaters

See You Again – Johnny Throttle
      The Dump – The Ding Dongs
      Party Crasher – Mark Sultan
      It Ain’t Cheap – Eddy Current Suppression Ring
      Sister Love Train – Rocket From the Tombs

Shaw – Reigning Sound
      Call Me No. 1 - – Reigning Sound
      Eve – Reigning Sound
      Dark Eyes – Jack Oblivian
      Kidnapper – Jack Oblivian
      Crime of Love – Jack Oblivian

Worst in Me – Mighty Fine
      Nothing Like Me – Love Me Nots

Time for You to Go – Terry Anderson & the Olympic Ass Kickin’ Team
      Bite the Bed – Glambilly
      Pins & Needles – Trapper Schoepp & the Shades
      Dry County – John Paul Keith
      I’m So Happy I Could Cry – John Howie Jr. & the Rosewood Bluff

Help Yourself – Bobby Marchan
      Torture – Del Shannon
      Creature’s Crawl – Thee Cormans
      Ain’t It Strange – Midwest Beat
      Puppet on a String – Night Beats
      Mumblin’ Guitar – The Mad Hatters

Laura’s a Liar – Muck & the Mires
      Head Over Heels – The Cute Lepers
      You Make Me Raw – The Electric Mess
      She’s My Witch – Southern Culture on the Skids
      Hazel Holly (Please Come Back) – The Boss Mustangs
      Situation – Mikal Cronin
      Ocean River Runs Around the Edge – The Spartan Dreggs

• November 25, 2011 5:11 PM CST
    • Playlist Nov 24/2010

1. Dr. Feelgood...Lights Out...from the Sneakin' Suspicion LP from 1977 with Wilko Johnson on guitar. Played this as there's a documentary out on the Feelgoods called Oil City Confidential which is supposed to be really good!

2. Deadly Hearts...Hand Shake...from their brand new self titled CD...from Halifax and features Myles Deck on the tubs.

3. Myles Deck and The Fuzz...Halifax Is Burning...from the Beware! The Fuzz LP from 2007.

4. Weirdonia...Green Tables...Windsor duo whom we're trying to get on Radio WW for a live to air.

5. The Diodes...City Of The Dead...from their just released Action/Reaction CD on Bongobeat Records. This song was probably written with London Ontario in mind, but don't quote me on that.

6. The Diodes...Time Damage....recorded live at Call The Office here in London, Ontario 11/18/11.

7. The Diodes...Child Star...as above.

8. The Diodes...Tennis Again...as above. Recorded by the WW mobile unit. There's also video of this one on The Diodes Toronto facebook page.

9. Black Frame Spectacle...A Line In The Sand...from their Grady Sessions CD. Rockin' 2 piece from just east of London Ontario.

10. The Sadies...Another Day Again...from their 2010 LP Darker Circles. Ugly Things honcho did the liner notes so you know these guys are cool. And they're coming back to Call The Office here in London Ontario Dec 3rd.

11. The Sadies...The First Inquisition Part IV...from the 2007 LP New Seasons. Live these guys always toss in some obscure killer cover as their show ender...anything from The Chocolate Watchbands version of Milkcow Blues to The Birds Leaving Here. Jawdroppers that'll blow your mind!

12. Reigning Sound...Lyin' Girl...from the Abdication For Your Love CD. Remember when leader Greg Cartwright came to Call The Office with The Deadly Snakes a few years back? Didn't think so as there weren't many at that show.

13. Eddie Marshall...Moblin' Baby Of Mine...from the 1989 Detour Records compilation called Hillbilly Houn'Dawgs and Honky Tonk Angels. Pure trashy hillbilly hick music that inspired combos like The Cramps...anyone that can make winking sound like wanking and get away with it is fine by me!

14. Ran-Dells...Martian Hop...speaking of The Cramps, this is from Lux and Ivy's Faves Volume 6. Surf doo wop from Mars!

15. Alex Chilton...Bangkok...from the double LP Decade...or is it Decayed, oh no, that's the Neil Young triple LP. For all of the flood victims in Thailand and it ties into The Cramps theme of the above 2 tunes.

16. The Sphinxs...Asia Miner...from the split 12" with Miesha and The Spanks.

17. Legend Killers...Gonna Snap...from the We're Workin' On It CD from 2006.

18. Deutsches Paniks...You Can't Get Enough Of Me...from the one sided 12" First You Get The Money.

19. Cinecyde...Enemy Man...from the 1982 LP I Left My Heart In Detroit City on Tremor Records and by request for Erwin.

20. Dark Rags...On Your Own...from their just released debut CD. From Greece and they are on the garagepunk hideout as well as one of the CD's.

21. Lonesome Ghost...Haunted By God...from the garagepunk hideout CD Songs The Hideout Taught Us. 2 piece outta Aylmer Ontario.

22. The Hook Up...65 Has No Blues...recorded live at Brennan's Beer Bistro here in London 11/5/11 when they put on a killer show with The Reply and The Fine Print (who's name i could not remember....brain farts).

23. The Hook Up...The Man Who Called Up The Devil...from their soon to be released CD of the same name.

24. The Hook Up...Silver Kiss...from the CD Tomorrow and Today on Ricochet Sound. This song was stuck in my noggin' so i had to play it!

25. The Hook Up...Minstrel Boy...from the garagepunk hideout CD Noises From The Hideout with artwork by our pal Darren Merinuk.

26. Rock'n'Roll Monkey and The Robots...Put A Record On...from their Spooky Kooky Attic Static CD.

27. Party Lights...Before You Came Here...from their only 7"....had to fade this one as we ran outta time once again.

Thanx for all the call-ins, requests, facebook comments and general HEYs!!!

No show next week as we're pre-empted by UWO Hockey but back on Nov 8th with an all female led band show as we remember the Montreal Massacre.

Here's the link to listen to the archived show:

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3