Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• October 6, 2011 3:17 PM CDT
    • Frank N. (Or , Frank "Que") , Yes , "Ship of Monsters" is absolutely UNFUCKIN'SANE!!! But , I'VE NEVER HEARD OF A VERSION WITH ENGLIGH SUBTITLES , MUCH LESS DUBBED IN ENGLISH. THE COPIES I'VE SEEN TURN UP WERE MAYBE ABOUT A 6 OR 7 OUT OF 10 , BUT , LORENA VELAZQUEZ STARS IN IT , AND SHE'S ABOUT A 40 OUT OF 10. NONE OF THAT OTHER STUFF MATTERS , FOR NOW , IT'S THE ULTIMATE RANCHERO (SINGING COWBOY)SCI - FI , ROMANCE , MONSTER MUSICAL COMEDY OF ALL TIME. THE MONSTERS ALL TALK (EN ESPANOL , WITH HILARIOUS , DISTORTED VOICES), ONE LOOKS LIKE A HORSE SKELETON , RECOMPOSED AS A PUPPET ON WIRES. ONE IS A SPIDER STRAIGHT OFF THE ALICE COOPER SHOW , AND "CICLOPE" Y "MONSTRUO DE OTRO MUNDO - CON CEREBRO GRANDE" ARE IN S & BD mEET tHE mONSTERS.  If you like that , though , search for Paul Naschy's"Assignment Terror" (AKA Dracula VS. fRANKENSTEIN , but no relation to the Al Adamson Horror LSD Biker VEGAS SHOWGIRL(!!) Epic.) ....This one was a West GERMAN , iTALIAN AND sPANISH collaboration , which accounts for it's being so confusing in tone (Ala "Riot on Sunset Strip " , also handed from Director to Director. But it stars Michael Rennie as an Alien ( You could say "How the mighty have fallen" , but , this performance ,his last , is respectable.) who brings Dracula , The Wolfman , The Mummy and Frankenstein's Monster back to life , intending to clone them and conquer earth. The monsters , particularly The Mummy , look bad ass. Naschy played Frankenstein and The Wolfman. The monster never opens his eyes , but , otherwise ,its a pretty cool blatant ripoff of the copyrighted Universal makeup. A Golem was written into the original script , but , apparently , never used.

• October 6, 2011 12:48 PM CDT
    • Maaaaan, John, you is on Fiyah!

Ship of Monsters sounds really kool: I will chegg that out, f'sho.

I LOVE that "Franquestain" in Contra Los Monstruos and what a chauffuer, eh?

Kinda feel sorry for that poor decrepit Momia, too. The most unthreatening monster ever, methinks.

• October 6, 2011 12:00 AM CDT
    •  FRANK N. , All those Mexican Lucha /Horror movies tend to have great soundtracks. The only part of "Contra Los Mostruos" (Meet TheMonsters) ' soundtrack that sticks to my head is that incredible organ instrumental at the beginning , where all the monsters are introduced , by name , along with Santo and Blue Demon.....It's Mexi - Twisted allright.   Frankenstein's monster is a guy with a Don Post monster mask with a Beatnik beard and Zapata moustache. The Wolfman looks kind of like Grady on "Sanford and Son" , with long , wavy hair.   "El Vampiro" is given more bat - like features and attributes , which JUST cross the borderline into silly . Plus , he and the Wolfman can move about in broad daylight , and Frankenstein drives a car ! The Mummy's just a guy in white guaze bandages, and "El Ciclope" (The Cyclops) , as well as the Alien with the exposed brain , is left over from the classic "SHIP OF MONSTERS"...NONE OF THESE REMARKS ARE INTENDED AS CRITICISMS. YOU MUST SEE THIS MOVIE , IF ONLY TO BELIEVE IT EXISTS.

"Acapulco Rock" is a great "Go Go" movie with lots of dancing , like "Ritmo A Go Go", but there are no bands seen in this movie , just lots of killer 60's Mexican R'n'R. The famous hit song "Acapulco Rock"by Freddie Fender (As Eddie Con Los Shades) does'nt appear in this film.

A somewhat later , more crime - oriented , Santo film , "El Mafia Vicio", opens with some great scenes of Santo drinking coctails , while beautiful bikini girls undulate sensuosly to "Los Ritmos" of a singer who appears to be vying for the title of Mexico's answer to Englebert Humperdink, all this , over incredibly gorgeous Acapulco landscape and the bluest Pacific Ocean you've ever seen , and won't likely see again.

Somehow , I've never seen "Tartu". Sad, is'nt it ?

One of a zillion remakes of "The Black Cat" , from England , mid - 60's , features a Rock Group , all wearing black eyepatches and looking like four Johnny Kidds (Who MAY have been alive , still , at the time.).

In "The London Rock'n'Roll Show" movie , Screaming Lord Sutch emerges from a coffin (Yes , I know he did'nt arrive at that idea , himself , but , I'll take him over Dino Lee ,and I got bamboozled into being one of HIS "Pallbearers" , once.), wearing a tin foil stovepipe hat , about two feet high , rubber monster gloves , and an ensemble  that conceded to the brand spankin' new Glam Rock craze ( As did The MC5 , and probably The Move , just before Roy Wood jumped ship , not to mention Gary Glitter's debut , none of which appear in the , otherwise excellent , film.). To cap it off , Sutch appears with his long hair dyed neon green , four years ahead of the Punks - Though a young band called The Sex Pistols debuted as his support band in late 1975 . He performs the classics "Til The Following Night" and "Jack The Ripper" (Performed as "Hands of Jack The Ripper" to coincide with the recent Hammer Films release , "Hands of The Ripper"). He calls Alice Cooper out for "Stealing his act" , and , instead , gets a comely Stripper lass who nearly loses her dress (A documentary on Sutch shows that she did , in fact ,get her kit off , at that.). Former Joe Meek Protege , Heinz ( Member of The Tornados and successful solo act in his own right.), sings a deranged "C'Mon Everybody " backed by a very young Dr.Feelgood. It sounds like Eater ! The Houseshakers , Gene Vincent's last great , steady band are seen briefly , with Graham Fenton (Later in Matchbox.) and Terry Gibson (Former and future Downliners Sect.) . Then you've got Bo Diddley , Jerry Lee Lewis , Bill Haley , Little Richard and Chuck Berry ( Also with Terry Gibson.), all turning in fine performances , though Mike Stax told me that Little Richard's set was poorly recieved by The Teds , because he was'nt wearing a baggy suit and a 6" pompadour. It was 1972 ! Chuck Berry had been dressing like a cheese for years !

So , his set was edited carefully to make it LOOK like he killed 'em. Man , just listen to the MUSIC. If he did'nt kill 'em , they were already dead. Mick Jagger's blase backstage commentary (Did he even watch any of the acts , I wonder?) , and Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis' point-counterpoint feud ( Which gets a bit ugly , but , without being reduced to racism (Though Richard calls CHUCK "A good Black BERRY !!!") nor redneck - bashing.) , all filmed in two different rooms , are all priceless. This should still be easy to find.

• October 5, 2011 8:10 PM CDT
    • Two of the best I've seen which are decidedly Garagey and Monstery:

El Santo Contra Los Monstruos - Lucha wrestlers vs. The Classic Universal Monsters with a Mexi-twist + Some of the BEST surfy/garagey soundtrack music EVER.

Death Curse Of Tartu - A Shapeshifting Seminole Witch Doctor vs. Hot 60s Go- Go Chicks dancing to some of the Cheesiest schlock rock in the middle of a swamp: What's not to like about that?!?! 

Que Lastima!

• October 6, 2011 12:26 PM CDT
    • NIAGARA SHOWING HER SPUNK WITH DARK CARNIVAL....SHE NEVER FAILS TO STIMULATE MY MYNDE :):):)

• October 6, 2011 12:00 PM CDT
    • That's cool :):):)

• October 5, 2011 9:41 AM CDT
    • Hi.  If you didn't know that Niagara has toured with Aussie band called the Hitmen in Australia last year, here're vieo clips.

• October 6, 2011 11:49 AM CDT
    • The Enthusiasts
      Sinkin'/ Risin' b/w Joanne
      Magic SlEEEve Records

The Enthusiasts jump from English Power Pop into the Power Trio arena with there second single. While their first single might have been stylistically different they settle down nicely on this single. "Sinkin'/ Risin'" blends the 60's psychedelic and 70s blues metal leanings of Deep Purple and Ogden's Nut Flake-era The Small Faces. Joey F. blends the guitar sounds of Ritchie Blackmore on the big riffs, while Dylan H. and Matt G. match him beat for beat. The shout style 70s metal chorus might sound out of place  to some, but blends nicely with the song overall. "Joanne" takes their foot off the pedal and they rely and some laid back guitar and minimal vocal melodies. The song builds towards something during the last minute and showcases Joey F.'s guitar work. The Enthusiasts are progressing musically from something less primitive and engaging but are willing to keep the songs fun. 

*Note, you can find The Enthusiasts "In The City" now on the Garage Punk Hideout Comp: Noises from the Hideout: The Best of the Garage Punk Hideout Vol. 6, here.

• October 6, 2011 1:32 AM CDT
    • ....I will be writing more about my good friend , Donna Reeves ( Of The Uncalled Four), shortly. You don't have to respond , unless you want to.

• October 6, 2011 1:28 AM CDT
    •    Some of you have already heard that Greg Omerza , Keyboard Player and sometimes Bassist for Minnesota Garage Gods , The Electras , died of a massive heart attack , about a month ago. The band had recently been inducted into the Minnesota Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame  (Their performance , above and beyond the call of Rock'n'Roll , at said function , can be viewed on You Tube.) , and other gigs were lined up , including a bill with The Trashmen , but health issues concerning other band members forced the band to put their plans on ice.  The Electras evolved from several band line - ups fronted by Guitarist , Bill Bulinski , who places an a notice on his High School bulletin board , asking if anyone played Bass. Omerza answered the ad , though he only played the Accordion. In time , the band fell under the spell of Alan Price's Organ playing with The Animals , and persuaded Omerza to get a Vox keyboard , and learn how to play it , and The Electras were born. The band enjoyed local success , but , great records like "Dirty Old Man " and "Action Woman" did'nt sell like they could have. Today , of course , all their singles are super - rare collector items.    I , myself , have only ever seen one.

The Electras reformed , briefly , in the 80's , but everyone was not stark raving Garage Rock crazy back then , as some of you may have been told. There was talk , over the years , of doing it again , but , sadly , their moment back in the spotlight was brief. Whether or not the surviving band members will perform as The ELECTRAS , I can't say.

Jerry Haynes was popular in the 60's and 70's as Kiddie Show host to The Dallas / Ft. Worth Metroplex , Mr. Peppermint. He wore a strawboater and a pink and white pinstriped sportcoat , and sang for the kiddies , getting ready for school. He even recorded a long player , reissued several years ago , with guest appearances by Ted Cassidy.   He was also , by the 80's , just as well - known , if not moreso , for being Gibby Hayne's Dad.  Seriously.  Jerry was known to turn up at his Son's gigs in Dallas , sometimes with the whole family in tow , and converse with fans , some of whom were glad to say they still watched his show ! Area Renaissance man , Mark Ridlen , convinced Haynes to record the Pop standard "Yellow Bird" for the fine "Texotica" compilation.

Ridlen persuaded Haynes to sing "Pepper" at the CD release party for "Texotica" , which he actually did .....Unaware that there was an Asian stripper dancing behind him !

Dallas , arguably , did not have the wealth of Kiddie Shows and Kiddie Show Hosts that Chicago can ly claim to (Their "Bozo Show" was strictly poverty row. The other clowns just wore red noses , no greasepaint !) , but , the likes of Mr. Peppermint and Icky Twerp (The Proto - Punk prankster who introduced Three Stooges shorts at breakfast time.) will be fondly remembered by slaves of the cathode ray for years to come. 

• October 6, 2011 1:27 AM CDT
    • Bug Out , The Big Itch , Desperate Rock'n'Roll (Of course) , Shaftman , Frolic Diner , God Less America ,  At The Party , Country Hix , Whip it on 'Em  , Jungle Exotica , Teenage....SomethiNg , it's all J.D AND tEEN cRIME SONGS. Maybe Teen Age RIOT? t- bIRD pARTY , tALKIN' tRASH , Death Dealers ,

VERY early classics - Jukebox at Eric's , Scum of The EARTH (Pt. 1 and 2. Pt. 2 may be more recent.)  

The 80's were a great time for this stuff. If the 80's were a great time for ANYTHING. THERE'S OTHERS.THERE'S EVEN SOME GOOD ONES COMING OUT , NOW.           Good luck. At one time , theses things were plentiful , AND they sold ! John.

• October 6, 2011 1:20 AM CDT
    • DAMNIT DAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know our lead singer has a nasty Radio Birdman Tat On his neck but we are from small shit towns in southern oklahoma. FUCK IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SEE YOU NEXT YEAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• October 5, 2011 10:06 PM CDT
    • Bobby - No, you are from Australia.  Every other band there that weekend was from Australia!  lol!

Addison - FROM CYCLOPS ISLAND!

• October 5, 2011 6:33 PM CDT
    • CYCLOPS!!!!

• October 5, 2011 6:24 PM CDT
    • Hey, this is Bobby from Psychotic Reaction, but we are from Oklahoma. thanks for the compliments !!!  check us out at www.facebook.com/pages/Psychotic-Reaction/116631510863 and here our new single "CAVESTOMP!!!" at cavestomp.tk its going to be off our second LP and 7" we are putting out in a month. let me know what you think man and thanks again!!!

• October 6, 2011 12:21 AM CDT
    • Wow , it's very cool of you to do that. Of course , Dan Kroha , um , "Fronted "The Demolition Dollrods, concurrent with The Dirtbombs ( The two bands did a show here , about 12 years ago , billed as ALMOST like a Gories reunion !), though Dan  went solo before The Gories reformed . Peg was briefly in the original '68 Comeback lineup , then dropped out of music until The Gories reformed. 3 D Invisibles are probably doing special Detroit shows this month , so never mind The Detroit Cobras or The White Stripes , Here's the heavy , heavy MONSTER SOUND ! SNAKEOUT ARE ALSO PLAYING OUT , ON A REGULAR BASIS , I'm told. Artphag was A sNAKE - Out offshot band , also heavy on the silly. Elvis Hitler used to play here in Chicago a lot.Their Rockabilly meets Speed Metal sound was a bit unusual for the time , but now there's a zillion bands with standup basses , Heavy Metal guitar and drums , Misfits "OH - wHOA --oh"vocals , and they're calling it "Psychobilly", like the English movement of almost 30 years ago never happened.

• October 5, 2011 4:18 PM CDT
    • oh snap, i was just doing a google search for this... for years now i've only had a shitty ripped version that appeared up on the Psycho Graveyard blogspot back in 06

• October 5, 2011 3:33 PM CDT
    • YES ! That's the only reason I ever watched that show (Unless I was babysitting and the Heroin vibe of "Teletubbies" got to be too much.)...When I met Lux, in '94 , I told him about "Kiddie - A - Go Go" , and he absolutely loved the idea of a TV show with little kids dancing to Rock'n'Roll. A few years later , The Cramps graciously consented to an interview on "Chic - A - Go Go". It's on You Tube.

Ivan Andreini said:

Sponge Lux Interior singing 'The underwater sun'!

• October 5, 2011 11:07 AM CDT
    • Sponge Lux Interior singing 'The underwater sun'!

• October 5, 2011 3:09 PM CDT
    • You're right . I read that , too. But , again , when they were both living , it did'nt seem like a veiled reference to an ongoing dispute....When they did  "Bonzo Goes To Bitburg" , I really thought Johnny only played on that track , under duress , given that he openly supported Reagan , while the others.....did'nt. It's very possible he did'nt even play on it , or not all the guitar lines..... By that time , they were supplementing his guitar parts with people like Walter Lure and Daniel Rey , but , mainly , because , after all those years , Johnny refused to play Lead Guitar.Nothing political , as such. I read that he did'nt want "Bonzo" released in America , but caved when the others agreed to call it "My BrAIN is Hanging Upside Down".  That , in itself , made The Ramones seem like something of a Democracy. Not so.

Mike said:

Isn't that also the subject of the "KKK took my baby away"? I was under the impression that Joey wrote that in reference to Johnny.

• October 5, 2011 12:26 AM CDT
    • Isn't that also the subject of the "KKK took my baby away"? I was under the impression that Joey wrote that in reference to Johnny.

• October 5, 2011 1:50 PM CDT
    • My current setup...

Guitars:

Danelectro DC-59

Danelectro DC-59 - 12 strings

Squier Telecaster Custom

Pedal chain:

Behringer Tuner - Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz - Octafuzz (DIY) - Tube Screamer (DIY) - Electro Harmonix Screaming Bird - Danelectro Spring King - Danelectro Reel Echo - Electro Harmonix Lpb-1 (booster)

Main amplifier:

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

• October 5, 2011 8:34 AM CDT
    • Yeah, I meant Chris Bailey and Ed Kuepper's early Saints!

I recalled some tunes.

They released some good singles.  (You know?)

Their fist LP wasn't my cup of tea, but this tune was good.

I still haven't heard any other their tunes.

I don't like them very much (I've heard only 5, 6 tunes.), but this tune was cool at the time.

I didn't remember even about the el Records!

• October 4, 2011 10:33 PM CDT
    • I find the best way is to make friends with bands and labels, or at the very least send some PR companies emails to let them know you're accepting promos. Include your email and your mailing address and hope you get some cool shit!

I blog for www.the1stfive.com