Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Pub Rock

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 22, 2012 10:53 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Picked up a copy of Dr. Feelgood's "Malpractice" LP this past weekend not bad, but the only other LP I have is "Down By The Jetty" which I like much better. It got me thinking of what I'm missing when it comes to the pre-punk pub rock scene. I know the basics like Eddie & The Hot Rods, 101er's, Pirates, Kilburn & The High Roads and maybe a few others, but what lesser known bands/releases should I be looking for. Not stuff on Chiswick, etc, but the forgotten or under appreciated stuff on one off labels that rock.

• March 19, 2012 6:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Mike ,   no , it was'nt here....An English guy and MYSELF , WE WERE DISCUSSING IT, somewhere else. I SHOULD HAVE BEEN MORE SPECIFIC. But , yeah , Ducks Deluxe were one of the earlier Pub Rock bands .Their Guitarist , Sean Tyla , caried on in the same tradition under his own name and as Tyla Gang (On Stiff , Skydog and other labels.). Nine Below Zero came out a little later. They're in an episode of "The Young Ones". But , I don't have any of their records ,tho' they turn up occasionally. Another , little known , Pub Rock group was Mean Mr. Mustard. I met one of the former members of the band , which toured with Dr. Feelgood , at a Troggs show , but he's since passed away , unfortunately.

• March 10, 2012 3:23 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks John,

Was that previous discussion here? I'll look it up if so. There are a few names you listed I'm not familiar with like Chili Willi & Nine Below Zero, so thanks! And, there are a few I'm somewhat familiar with but have never really sought out and explored like Ducks Deluxe. So again, thanks for that.

• March 10, 2012 2:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THERE'S A LOT OF FORGOTTEN AND UNKNOWN (AT LEAST , IN THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE.)PUB ROCK GROUPS , WE WERE DISCUSSING THIS A WHILE BACK , TRYING TO COMPILE A TOP 25.....IT'S VERY HARD TO KEEP CHISWICK OUT OF THE EQUATION , BUT , IF IT HELPS , THERE'S LITTLE BOB STORY (FRANCE , STILL ACTIVE.) , ROOGALATOR , CHILLI WILLI , COUNT BISHOPS / BISHOPS , (EARLY) CANNIBALS , HAMMERSMITH GORILLAS/GORILLAS , DUCKS DELUXE (RECENTLY REFORMED) , SEAN TYLA / TYLA GANG (EX - DUCKS DELUXE) , NINE BELOW ZERO (LATER.) , INMATES , EARLY STRANGLERS / PURPLE HELMETS (STRANGLERS MEMBERS DISGUISED AS AN OBSCURE PUB / GARAGE BAND , THE WAY THE DAMNED DID WITH NAZ NOMAD AND THE NIGHTMARES.).

I know a lot of these bands are'nt that obscure , but , maybe they'll remind people of some groups they can refer you to who made few or no records but are well - remembered by whoever saw them....Here in the states , it's ALL obscure....Of the lot of 'em , I think only Dr. Feelgood and The Inmates ever toured , here. The Feelgoods toured the US with Wilko , and with Gypie.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel