Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Favorite albums from the first Punk era, '76-'80

Back To Topics
    (1 rate)
    • February 4, 2008 4:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I love the first Clash album...so much damn energy...and it sounds today more like an English garage band than so called punk.
    • October 1, 2012 8:16 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

V2 is the second studio album by the punk band the Vibrators, released in 1978 on Epic Records.

• October 1, 2012 8:13 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Streets is a compilation album of early British punk rock bands from a variety of independent record labels.

Side one
      "Trash" by The Doll
      "Fear on the Streets" by The Members
      "Be My Prisoner" by The Lurkers
      "Isgodaman" by Arthur Comics
      "Arabs in 'Arrads" by The art attacks
      "19" by Dogs
      "Talk Talk Talk Talk" by Reaction
      "College Girls" by Cane
      Side two
      "Cranked Up Really High" by Slaughter & the Dogs
      "Ain't Bin to No Music School" by The Nosebleeds
      "Lookalikes" by The Drones
      "Hungry" by Zeros
      "Bend and Flush" by The Pork Dukes
      "Disaster Movie" by Exile
      "Jerkin" by Drive
      "Innocents" by John Cooper Clarke
      "No More Rock 'n' Roll" by Tractor

• May 18, 2011 4:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

...and the rezzilos!
    • May 18, 2011 4:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

the clash -1977 .... machine gun etiquette -the damned..... the stranglers- Rattus Norvegicus ...stiff little fingers-hanx!
    • May 18, 2011 11:54 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Vibrators Pure Mania, Ramones Rocket To Russia, and all the early stuff by The Zeros!

Such great energy and catchy songs.

• May 10, 2011 11:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

For my first post since finally joining Garage Punk I'd like to throw out there a great band from Buffalo, NY - The Enemies. They also went by Billy Piranha and the Enemies. The album is Product of the Streets. About as raw and garage as it gets. I listen to it all the time to this day.
    • May 10, 2011 8:59 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

1. Teenage Head's initial lp

2a. The Saints' Stranded

2b. Radio Birdman's Radios Appear

4.  Stiff Little Fingers' Inflammable Material

5.  The Clash London Calling

* honorable mention Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers LAMF

• February 24, 2011 8:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

damned damned damned !! how could i forget?!  although i think machine gun ettiquette is a better album, it was this one that started the journey... and the "New Wave" compilation that vertigo put out - that was my first real taste of punk and living in a country town it was like setting a fire! deadboys, hell, new york dolls...

Nick X said:
      The Clash's first two albums were both great.
      X - Los Angeles
      Richard Hell and the Voidoids - Blank Generation
      Teenage Head - Teenage Head
      The Damned - Damned Damned Damned
      Dead Boys - Young, Loud and Snotty
      The Saints - (I'm) Stranded
      X-Ray Spex - Germfree Adolescence
      Buzzcocks - Singles goin Steady
      The Jam - In the City

I want to include the Zero Boys but they were second wave.
    • February 21, 2011 4:00 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

The Clash's first two albums were both great.
      X - Los Angeles
      Richard Hell and the Voidoids - Blank Generation
      Teenage Head - Teenage Head
      The Damned - Damned Damned Damned
      Dead Boys - Young, Loud and Snotty
      The Saints - (I'm) Stranded
      X-Ray Spex - Germfree Adolescence
      Buzzcocks - Singles goin Steady
      The Jam - In the City I want to include the Zero Boys but they were second wave.
    • February 20, 2011 9:30 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

dead boys - young loud & snotty will always be my fave... but richard hell - blank generation and radio birdman - radios appear aint far behind...
    • February 17, 2011 8:27 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Everything by the Saints.
      "Radios Appear" by Radio Birdman
      "Young Loud and Snotty" by the Dead Boys
      "LAMF" the Heartbreakers
      "Blank Generation" Richard Hell and the Voidoids.
      "Los Angeles" by X
      "We've Got the Nutron Bomb" by Weirdos.
      "Group Sex" by Circle Jerks

Great thread! And I'm new by the way. Hi!

Divaluxe
    • February 16, 2011 6:04 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

RADIO BIRDMAN THE FIRST ALBOUM IS THE GREATEST!!!
    • January 14, 2011 2:35 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Seeing Im the one who started this discussion...let me say...I called it the first Punk era so not to be confused with 80's wave or 90's to recent punk (which is hardly punk at all).

The explosion of 'music' from that 76-80 period was staggering, and is still held high today, and I knew we all had our faves from that era. Of course there was punk roots before 76'.  So maybe just the '76-80 Punk explosion' would be more appropriate. lol

I appreciate all the interest in this topic all the same.

Cheers, Andy

• January 14, 2011 11:28 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Yeah Hideout, nice one for diggin up some of these cool quotes on punk origins to let lots o the good folks here know where it's a comin from...Dave, Greg and Lester etc all surely knew what was about to come too...

Hideout Admin said:
      Ah, the history of punk, and specifically, of the word "punk," is always interesting. I need to get me a copy of Let it Blurt (Lester's biography), but in the meantime I'll just paste this here. You can read more at www.fastnbulbous.com/punk.htm

The word "punk" first made an appearance in music journalism in a 1970 essay, "The Punk Muse: The True Story of Protopathic Spiff Including the Lowdown on the Trouble-Making Five-Percent of America's Youth" by Nick Tosches in Fusion. He described a music that was a "visionary expiation, a cry into the abyss of one's own mordant bullshit," its "poetry is puked, not plotted." That same year, Lester Bangs wrote a novella titled Drug Punk, influenced by William Burroughs' book, Junky, in which there is a line, "Fucking punks think it's a joke. They won't think it's so funny when they're doing five twenty-nine on the island." Dave Marsh used the phrase "punk rock" in his Looney Tunes column in the May 1971 issue of Creem, the same issue that introduced the term "heavy metal" as a genre name. Marsh wrote, "Culturally perverse from birth, I decided that this insult would be better construted as a compliment, especially given the alternative to such punkist behavior, which I figured was acting like a dignified asshole." Tosches, Bangs, Marsh, Richard Meltzer, Greg Shaw and Lenny Kaye used the term to define a canon of proto-punk bands, including the Velvets, Stooges, MC5, the Modern Lovers and the New York Dolls (DeRogatis, Let It Blurt, 118-119).

TeenFink said:
      dude i got my shit together. that era was first referred to as "punk" in 1972 (Lenny Kaye's liner notes in nuggets), which was four years before '76. i just don't think it's right to call '76-'80 "the first punk era," that's all. by doing so, you're displaying ignorance of real rock'n'roll in general and it's misleading to some who may come here and be totally unaware of '60s punk.

ratoonie said:
      it wasnt cald Punk .........back then!!! get your shit together!!!!!

TeenFink said:
      the FIRST punk era was from '65-'67, not '76-'80.
    • January 14, 2011 11:12 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ah, the history of punk, and specifically, of the word "punk," is always interesting. I need to get me a copy of Let it Blurt (Lester's biography), but in the meantime I'll just paste this here. You can read more at www.fastnbulbous.com/punk.htm

The word "punk" first made an appearance in music journalism in a 1970 essay, "The Punk Muse: The True Story of Protopathic Spiff Including the Lowdown on the Trouble-Making Five-Percent of America's Youth" by Nick Tosches in Fusion. He described a music that was a "visionary expiation, a cry into the abyss of one's own mordant bullshit," its "poetry is puked, not plotted." That same year, Lester Bangs wrote a novella titled Drug Punk, influenced by William Burroughs' book, Junky, in which there is a line, "Fucking punks think it's a joke. They won't think it's so funny when they're doing five twenty-nine on the island." Dave Marsh used the phrase "punk rock" in his Looney Tunes column in the May 1971 issue of Creem, the same issue that introduced the term "heavy metal" as a genre name. Marsh wrote, "Culturally perverse from birth, I decided that this insult would be better construted as a compliment, especially given the alternative to such punkist behavior, which I figured was acting like a dignified asshole." Tosches, Bangs, Marsh, Richard Meltzer, Greg Shaw and Lenny Kaye used the term to define a canon of proto-punk bands, including the Velvets, Stooges, MC5, the Modern Lovers and the New York Dolls (DeRogatis, Let It Blurt, 118-119).

TeenFink said:
      dude i got my shit together. that era was first referred to as "punk" in 1972 (Lenny Kaye's liner notes in nuggets), which was four years before '76. i just don't think it's right to call '76-'80 "the first punk era," that's all. by doing so, you're displaying ignorance of real rock'n'roll in general and it's misleading to some who may come here and be totally unaware of '60s punk.

ratoonie said:

TeenFink said:

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• January 14, 2011 10:39 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Hey guys, how's about you're both right really, yeah OK it wasn't really called Punk back then, but since "Nuggets" those in the know DID in fact call it Punk: teen punk, garage punk, acid punk, psych punk, so none of us are wrong...and I'm sure as far as rock'n'roll is concerned we do have our shit together...have a great weekend

TeenFink said:

ratoonie said:

TeenFink said:
    • January 14, 2011 10:28 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

ratoonie said:

TeenFink said:
    • January 12, 2011 2:07 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Purple Hearts first album..called Beat That.

• January 12, 2011 10:11 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

the zeros are back together...and playing Lots of gigs....you can befriend them on myspace!!!!!!
    • January 12, 2011 6:05 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Love the swaggering riffs & super cool lyrics. Lenny Helsing said:

class stuff fr sure, that woulda been amazing to see the Zeros back in the day!!!

ratoonie said:

i saw the zeros in San frnsisco...1979...w/ the Mutants... i have an old Bomp LP...iggys on it!!! zeros do "yourawimp"... white vinoyl!!

Lenny Helsing said:
      Zeros yeah tremendous teen punk...have u seen the dvd that came out by them its full of scorchin stuff!
    • January 12, 2011 3:30 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

class stuff fr sure, that woulda been amazing to see the Zeros back in the day!!!

ratoonie said:

i saw the zeros in San frnsisco...1979...w/ the Mutants... i have an old Bomp LP...iggys on it!!! zeros do "yourawimp"... white vinoyl!!

Lenny Helsing said:
      Zeros yeah tremendous teen punk...have u seen the dvd that came out by them its full of scorchin stuff!
    • January 11, 2011 10:51 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Lenny Helsing said:
    • January 11, 2011 9:52 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I was a Rock N' Roll fan first and foremost...

Lenny Helsing said:
      Hey man you don't have to tell me it was rebel, I already know it, and yeah I also know about rat fink...a boo boo, but next you'll be telling me Link Wray wasn't punk ha ha...the thing is although we here all decide that The Sonics and the Seeds and all the 'rebel' mid-60s gangs are punk, it wasn't know as such at the time...and only when Lenny Kaye put the original 'Nuggets' together in the early 70s did anyone start using the term punk to mean raw and alive beat music...and of course it was only then that it was picked up by all the then new rebels, ie Ramones...Pistols, Damned, Clash, Adverts, Zeros, Saints, Eater, Boys, Rezillos, Valves, Scars, Prats, Dead Ks, Crime, Misfits, Exploited et cetera. I'm sure there will be many here who will agree...and me, well I ain't out to ruin it that's for sure...

ratoonie said:
      it was rebel!!!!!...... not pUnk!!........get out of your deniel!!!... rat fink was a super cool  thing* back in the 60,s....... dont ruin it!!!!!!!!

Lenny Helsing said:
      au contraire mister teen fink ratoonie man punk was around long before you think
    • January 11, 2011 7:51 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

RAXOLA-S/T LP I like. Does anybody know where the tune I WAS BORN A SON OF A BITCH by Raxola comes from? Its not on the LP.

I'M interested in rare first wave punk bands that might be worth a mention here.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel