Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Any glam rock fans around here?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 4, 2010 2:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

And I'm not talking about 80s hair metal bands, I'm talking about the real thing...T-Rex, David Bowie, Roxie Music, Mott the Hoople, Sweet, Slade, Lou Reed, Alice Cooper, the New York Dolls, etc.

I'm bringing this up because I saw a great glam rock revival band in NYC last weekend called Prima Donna. They're from Los Angeles, and they sound like a cross between the Dolls and Mott. They even have a guy who plays keyboard and sax. They released their debut album, "After Hours," in 2008 on the Acetate label, and Little Steven got me into them late last year when he named "Stray Doll" as the "Coolest Song in the World" (This song sounds like an outtake from the "Rocky Horror" soundtrack). Another song that I love is "Soul Stripper," which is a wonderful rip-off of Alice Cooper's "Under My Wheels."

I just posted a bunch of pictures here from the gig, and I just wanted to know if anyone else here has heard of them, or would like to check them out.
    • April 22, 2013 3:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just got my copy of "Boobs," and I think it's even better than "Velvet Tinmine." I especially like "Interplanetary Twist" by Screamer (One part Bowie, all the rest Sweet), along with "Good Time Fanny" by Angel and "Baby" by Sensation. I also love the glam slam covers of "Little Bit O' Soul" by Iron Cross and "Let's Go" by Rock Rebellion.

• April 10, 2013 3:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'VE NEVER HEARD PANDORA , BUT , IT WOULD BE HARD TO IMAGINE A GLAM ROCK BAND IN CLEVELAND AT THE TIME.... THERE COULD HAVE BEEN ONE ,BUT , IF YOU WERE'NT DOING OBVIOUS RADIO ROCK COVERS , YOU DIED THE DEATH......The Cle Rock "Scene" was influenced by some of that stuff , sure. It was still underground in America. Frankenstein (Pre- Dead Boys) dressed like The New York Dolls , and John Morton (Electric Eels , Styrenes) wore makeup and large earrings , but , was big and bad enough to back up his profile.....

Cleveland was still Raspberries and Blue Ash (Great groups.)in the early 70's , as original music went. I think I read that Pandora was from New York ,too.

• April 10, 2013 5:01 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

haha..thanks

MikeL said:

According to the liner notes, they were from NYC, but they recorded in Cleveland.

Mottey's Garage said:

I 'm bout due for another glam show ...any day now...As for Pandora...freaking awesome.  One of the best lost glam albums of all time. Although, I thought they were from Cleveland...but I,m not sure. 

• April 10, 2013 4:45 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

According to the liner notes, they were from NYC, but they recorded in Cleveland.

Mottey's Garage said:

I 'm bout due for another glam show ...any day now...As for Pandora...freaking awesome.  One of the best lost glam albums of all time. Although, I thought they were from Cleveland...but I,m not sure. 

• April 9, 2013 8:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

New Bowie? Well...I guess its ok and all, great to hear his voice...but I really wish it was the return of Ziggy

• April 9, 2013 8:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

holy shit...great great playlist...how bout a rerun 
      Joanie Lindstrom said:

This was my playlist when we did the special glam show on WMBR (which sigh, I don't think any of you listened to). Some obscure stuff, some not. Jobriath is def. on the arty side of things.

10:01  The Sweet | Wig Wam Bam clip | s/t [LP] (Bell, 73)

10:02  The Glitter Band  Rock On | Solid Silver: The ultimate glitter band vol 1 [CD] (Edsel, 73/98)

10:05  The Heavy Dwarfs | Moeder Natur | Clap Your Hands and Stamp Your Feet comp [CD] (Excels, 73/09)

10:06  Kim Fowley | King of Love | International Hero [LP] (Capitol, 73)

10:10  The Rubettes | Rock is Dead | s/t [LP] (Amiga, 75)

10:13  Hanoi Rocks | High School | Two Steps from the Move [LP] (Epic, 84)

10:19  Chicory Tip | Cigarettes, Women and Wine | The Singles Collection [CD] (Cherry Red, 78/07)

10:23  Jook | Bish Bash Bosh | Different Class [CD] | (RPM, 74//05)

10:24  Mick Ronson | Only After Dark | Slaughter on 10th Avenue [LP] (RCA, 74)

10:29  Alistair Riddell | And Up to Now | Space Waltz [CD] (RPM, 74/05)

10:31  New York Dolls | Jet Boy | s/t [LP] (Mercury, 73)

10:36  The Sensation | Black Eyed Woman | Boobs comp [CD] (RPM, 73/05)

10:42  The Frenchies | Dillinger | s/t [LP] (Harvest, 74)

10:46  The Switches | Drama Queen | Lay Down the Law [CD] (Interscope, 08)

10:49  Queen | Keep Yourself Alive |  s/t [LP] (Chrysalis, 73)

10:57  Cockney Rebel | What Ruthy Said | The Human Menagerie [LP] (Capitol, 73)

10:59  Suzi Quatro | Glycerine Queen | s/t [LP] (Bell, 74)  [req x 2]

11:02  Jobriath | Good Time | Creatures of the Street [LP] (Elektra, 74)

11:06  Mott the Hoople | Jerkin Crokus | All the Young Dudes [LP] (Columbia, 72)

11:09  David Werner | Aggravation Non Stop | Imagination Quota [LP] (RCA, 75)

11:14  Arrows | Love Rider | A's, B's & Rarities [CD] (EMI, ?/04)

11:20  Bearded Lady | Rock Star | Velvet Tinmine comp [CD] (RPM, 75/03)

11:22  Zolar X | Timeless | Timeless [CD] (Alternative Tentacles, 76/04)

11:25  Eno | Blank Frank | Here Come the Warm Jets [LP] (Editions, 73)

11:26  Sparks | Underground | Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing [LP] (Bearsville, 73)

11:30  Vodka Collins | Monitor | Tokyo New York [CD] (Man's Ruin, 73/98)

11:33  Lou Reed | Satellite of Love | Transformer [LP] (RCA, 73)

11:38  Hollywood Brats | Another School Day | s/t [CD] (Cherry Red, 74/94)

11:38  Jet | Lady Ricochet | Even More Light than Shade [CD] (RPM, 75/10)

11:41  The Sweet | Blockbuster | s/t [LP] (Bell, 73)

11:44  Spunky Spider | You Won't Come | Glitterbest comp [CD] (RPM, 73/04)

11:49  Abacus | Indian Dancer | Blitzing the Ballroom comp: 20 UK Power Glam Incendiaries comp [CD] (Psychic Circle, 74/08)

11:50  David Bowie | Lady Stardust | The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars [LP] (RCA, 72)

11:54  British Lions | One More Chance to Run | All the Young Dudes comp [CD] (Mojo, 77/09)

11:57  Alice Cooper | Ballad of Dwight Fry | Love It To Death [LP] (Straight, 70)

• April 9, 2013 8:05 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Holy Shit...we demand a rerun...great great playlist

Joanie Lindstrom said:

This was my playlist when we did the special glam show on WMBR (which sigh, I don't think any of you listened to). Some obscure stuff, some not. Jobriath is def. on the arty side of things.

10:02  The Glitter Band  Rock On | Solid Silver: The ultimate glitter band vol 1 [CD] (Edsel, 73/98)

10:05  The Heavy Dwarfs | Moeder Natur | Clap Your Hands and Stamp Your Feet comp [CD] (Excels, 73/09)

10:19  Chicory Tip | Cigarettes, Women and Wine | The Singles Collection [CD] (Cherry Red, 78/07)

11:06  Mott the Hoople | Jerkin Crokus | All the Young Dudes [LP] (Columbia, 72)

11:26  Sparks | Underground | Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing [LP] (Bearsville, 73)

11:49  Abacus | Indian Dancer | Blitzing the Ballroom comp: 20 UK Power Glam Incendiaries comp [CD] (Psychic Circle, 74/08)

11:50  David Bowie | Lady Stardust | The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars [LP] (RCA, 72)

11:54  British Lions | One More Chance to Run | All the Young Dudes comp [CD] (Mojo, 77/09)

11:57  Alice Cooper | Ballad of Dwight Fry | Love It To Death [LP] (Straight, 70)

• April 9, 2013 8:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• April 9, 2013 3:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

MikeL , YOU'RE NEARING THE 300 MARK , HERE , MAN . I think that's like getting a Gold Record around here.

Ummmmmm.....Glam related stuff. One is advised to seek out the earlier version of "Saturday Night" by The Bay City Rollers , from '72 , I think. No  foolin' , more of a Boot Boy Stomp than the version that made it, here. "S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y - MATE !!!!". I think it was only a hit in Germany.

• April 9, 2013 3:35 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm very sorry I missed your radio program. I do remember getting my invite, but I think it may have been on at a bad time for me. Is there a podcast available?

I myself am quite amazed at how long this discussion has gone on. Just when I forgot that I even started it, someone posts something new.

Joanie Lindstrom said:

No problem, this thing's been going on so long, who can remember what anyone said 2 years ago. I just wish people had tuned in to my (and my friend Sara's) glam specials cuz we played all sorts of stuff and I think the topic had started shortly before the shows. Anyway, rock on. I bought the new Bowie, we'll see how he's sounding these days.

• April 9, 2013 3:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

No problem, this thing's been going on so long, who can remember what anyone said 2 years ago. I just wish people had tuned in to my (and my friend Sara's) glam specials cuz we played all sorts of stuff and I think the topic had started shortly before the shows. Anyway, rock on. I bought the new Bowie, we'll see how he's sounding these days.

• April 9, 2013 3:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ah, here we go. One of the earliest responses I got. Thanks again, Joanie:)

Joanie Lindstrom said:

Don't forget some of the more obscure stuff on the Velvet Tinmine, Boobs and Glitterbest comps.
    • April 9, 2013 3:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

BTW, thanks for letting me know about "Clap Your Hands Stomp Your Feet."

MikeL said:

Sorry I didn't check first:( Thanks for letting people know back then, and I also ordered "Boobs" and "Glitterbest."

Joanie Lindstrom said:

I know this thread is wicked long but I mentioned that ages ago.  Also the comps Boobs, Glitterbest and Clap Your Hands Stomp Your Feet. And Mojo put out a glam comp and there's one called 20 UK Power Glam Incendiaries on the Psychic Circle label.

• April 9, 2013 3:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sorry I didn't check first:( Thanks for letting people know back then, and I also ordered "Boobs" and "Glitterbest."

Joanie Lindstrom said:

I know this thread is wicked long but I mentioned that ages ago.  Also the comps Boobs, Glitterbest and Clap Your Hands Stomp Your Feet. And Mojo put out a glam comp and there's one called 20 UK Power Glam Incendiaries on the Psychic Circle label.

• April 9, 2013 3:16 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

• April 9, 2013 3:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

• April 9, 2013 3:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Can anyone suggest obscure stuff from the arty side of glam, as I know of Bowie, etc?
    • April 9, 2013 3:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Anyone here familiar with a compilation titled "Velvet Tinmine"? It is a collection of songs by lesser known glam rock bands, and it is really cool. If you like the bubblegum wing of glam rock, this one is for you.

On a similar note, has anyone here ever heard of a band called Pandora? They were a New York glam band from the early 70s that managed to record a bunch of demos that were finally released by Arf Arf Records in 1997. Their sound is more hard rocking, kind of like Bowie meets Zeppelin.

Anyway, I found out about "Velvet Tinmine" and Pandora by reading Dave Thompson's excellent book, "Children of the Revolution: The Glam Rock Story."

• January 21, 2013 12:09 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey Tim, nice to see you here:)  And you're right about Kevin.

Tim Napalm Stegall said:

Oh, Prima Donna is fantastic! Their leader, Kevin Preston, is someone I've met in my travels, and he's got a great rock 'n' roll heart and a lot of talent. And yes, we do love the REAL glam around here!

• January 21, 2013 11:46 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh, Prima Donna is fantastic! Their leader, Kevin Preston, is someone I've met in my travels, and he's got a great rock 'n' roll heart and a lot of talent. And yes, we do love the REAL glam around here!

• January 20, 2013 11:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THE ALICE COOPER GROUP "BILLION DOLLAR BILL", JUST LIKE THE CHEECH AND CHONG GIANT ROLLING PAPER INSERT , IS ELUSIVE , BUT , CAN STILL BE FOUND , ALONG WITH THE CARDS THAT ALSO CAME WITH THE RECORD. .... I AGREE , THE FIRST TWO ALICE COOPER ALBUMS ARE MUST - HAVES. IF YOU DON'T GET IT , SPEND SOME QUALITY TIME WITH 'EM , IT'S TIME WELL SPENT.

B.B. Fultz said:

I used to have that big billion dollar bill that came with this, way back when. I wish I could find it now. In my teens, track 5 from this album (Unfinished Sweet) was my #1 favorite Alice Cooper song, for some weird reason. It's still probably my favorite track from B$B. The first Alice Cooper song I ever heard was Elected, also from this album ... it was way back when I was 7 or 8. I saw the Elected video with the monkey and the wheelbarrow full of money and never forgot it. I've been a Cooper fan ever since.  

If you want to hear another great (and totally underrated) Alice Cooper album, check out the debut album Pretties For You from 1969. It's pure Garage Rock, and comes closer to the spirit of Nuggets than anything he's done since. You can also hear a prominent Frank Zappa influence on it (not too surprising since Zappa co-produced their first two albums). Not to mention that it has what I now consider to be the greatest Alice Cooper song of all, and possibly my favorite song of all time -- Fields of Regret.

E.J. Matze said:

featuring ELECTED and HELLO HURRAY WB

• January 20, 2013 5:53 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I used to have that big billion dollar bill that came with this, way back when. I wish I could find it now. In my teens, track 5 from this album (Unfinished Sweet) was my #1 favorite Alice Cooper song, for some weird reason. It's still probably my favorite track from B$B. The first Alice Cooper song I ever heard was Elected, also from this album ... it was way back when I was 7 or 8. I saw the Elected video with the monkey and the wheelbarrow full of money and never forgot it. I've been a Cooper fan ever since.  

If you want to hear another great (and totally underrated) Alice Cooper album, check out the debut album Pretties For You from 1969. It's pure Garage Rock, and comes closer to the spirit of Nuggets than anything he's done since. You can also hear a prominent Frank Zappa influence on it (not too surprising since Zappa co-produced their first two albums). Not to mention that it has what I now consider to be the greatest Alice Cooper song of all, and possibly my favorite song of all time -- Fields of Regret.

E.J. Matze said:

featuring ELECTED and HELLO HURRAY WB

• January 20, 2013 2:08 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for letting us know about this:)  I'll check it out.

Mottey's Garage said:

Wam Bam Thank You  Mam.........I did it again..been awhile 

Mottey Does Glam

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel