Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: The Customs....Cincinnati late 70's

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 18, 2012 9:49 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

OK, i know this band is long gone, but for some reason i've been really obsessing over them lately. Bought one of their singles Let's Get It On/Cadillac back many years ago and their other single  Long Gone/She'll Always Be Mine has been on my want list ever since.

I've got the Get Hip LP Long Gone Lp and have played the shit out of this as it's such amazing high energy rock'n'roll. And what really got me going was that i found a rockabilly compilation LP called Cincinnati Rock & Roll 1950's at a record show the other day that had Orangie Ray Hubbard doing what i always thought was a Customs original, Is She Sore. That song just blew me away it was so good!!! And that opened up my obsession with The Customs once more.

I know that Peter Greenberg x-DMZ was on lead guitar and that probably accounts for some of this band's great taste.

So what i want to know, were The Customs as good live as all of their records lead me to believe? 

Did any of you guys get to see this band in it's prime?

Any stories to tell?? 

• February 23, 2012 1:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Love that Customs LP. Played it a lot on my old radio show. Very underrated band, IMHO.

Also, probably would've been better to post about this in the Destroy All Music group (the one for '70s/'80s music). Just sayin'. ;)

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• February 20, 2012 9:39 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Me too!!! It's the perfect mixture of old farts like myself and enthusiastic young uns that makes it so great!!

Peter Greenberg was also in Barrence Whitfield and The Savages, a wyld R&B combo that kicked major ass. He was only on the first couple of LP's and the first LP was just recently re-released on ACE with extra tracks and they are talking about getting the original lineup back together... We only saw the later BW and the Savages and they were killer! If you haven't already, you'll probably dig BW and The Savages.

Paul said:

Thanks for the info Dave ... it's funny how you can hear a song that sticks in your mind but you can't quite remember the band name, and then all of a sudden something gets posted on this site and all of a sudden not only do I get the band's name, I also get a link to buy the album .. I love this site!!!

• February 19, 2012 8:37 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for the info Dave ... it's funny how you can hear a song that sticks in your mind but you can't quite remember the band name, and then all of a sudden something gets posted on this site and all of a sudden not only do I get the band's name, I also get a link to buy the album .. I love this site!!!

• February 19, 2012 2:00 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The only song I was familiar with was Long Gone, which reminded me of DMZ, so when you mentioned Peter Greenberg, that made lots of sense. I just went on the Customs My Space page and liked all 4 songs, so I'll need to look into them more. I got to see DMZ a few times; sorry I never got to see the Customs. Is the Long Gone LP still available anywhere?

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel