Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Does your band have matching outfits? Or a theme?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 10, 2012 10:23 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Is that a Highway One Jazz Bass in Honey Blonde BTW?

• March 8, 2012 3:28 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thats Sean Connery in the middle and Pavarotti on his right. Who's that holding the bass?

The Archers said:

I love masked bands and bands in uniforms, etc.. 
      My other band, Skurkarna, is a "instro-crime-rock" outfit.. this is what we look like:

..and this is what we sound like:

http://garagepunk.ning.com/profile/SKURKARNA

http://facebook.com/SKURKARNA

SQUARES BEWARE!

• March 7, 2012 2:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You've mentioned to me the Odd Squad before, that's why I brought up the Woggles after your Poseur comment.  You DIDN"T say that there were exceptions to the dress up bands.  The Woggles don't need uniforms, you're right.  But I think Manfred feels it gives them an edge when it comes to what sticks out for people who have never seen them before.  I can go either way on what a band does as long as they don't look like Dave matthews band or Hootie and the Blowfish ( I need to update my bad references).

John Carlucci said:

Hey Rod,

The Woggles are so good, they are in a class of their own. I personally don't think they need the matching outfits. When I played in The Odd Squad (a side band I had with The Mighty Manfred) we did not wear matching outfits, and we tore the house down.

JC

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

What about the Woggles? 

• March 6, 2012 10:59 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey Rod,

The Woggles are so good, they are in a class of their own. I personally don't think they need the matching outfits. When I played in The Odd Squad (a side band I had with The Mighty Manfred) we did not wear matching outfits, and we tore the house down.

JC

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

What about the Woggles? 

• March 6, 2012 4:14 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Unless you dress up like barbarians, Romans, or Tarzans

Doug Dickerson said:

Sandals are a fireable offense! ;)

Thee Mighty Shake Spears said:

Just wear SOMETHING!!  It's called a SHOW.  Don't get up on stage if you're just gunna wear your stupid cargo shorts & sandals with a backwards ball cap & play your stupid 6 string bass up high while reading charted music on a music stand.....there's A LOT of that shit here in nashville....yech!!!  XD

• March 6, 2012 3:59 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What about the Woggles?  Yeah, they have the chops to back it up but a lot of people remember the show from the uniforms and stunts they pull off.

John Carlucci said:

HA! nope Not my up of tea.  I;m not against theatre in Rock N Roll, after all I was a huge Alice Cooper fan when I was in High Schhol, IT's just the Matching outfit thing that makes me want to run away screaming POSUER!!!

Gringo Starr said:

Oh come on John! I likes me some theater!!!!

John Carlucci said:

When I was a kid I went to Catholic School. I wore a uniform for eight years. I got into Rock N Roll to rebel against the status quo. I am and always have been a non conformist. To each his own, but I prefer bands with individuality.

• March 6, 2012 2:36 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Del Tigers - theme is circus performers 

• March 1, 2012 3:55 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

impossible to follow up the hamburglars...

just wanted to say how i like this network! what a great display of affection in all those comments, awesome. you guys are great.

The Obsidians believe in stage outfits. and stage outfits don't have to be expensive. especially when you throw in some black. we're lucky when it comes to body type - four extremly skinny guys and one super big one.

• February 29, 2012 9:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sandals are a fireable offense! ;)

Thee Mighty Shake Spears said:

Just wear SOMETHING!!  It's called a SHOW.  Don't get up on stage if you're just gunna wear your stupid cargo shorts & sandals with a backwards ball cap & play your stupid 6 string bass up high while reading charted music on a music stand.....there's A LOT of that shit here in nashville....yech!!!  XD

• February 29, 2012 9:02 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• February 29, 2012 5:09 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Nothing wrong with it - just not currently in style, but check these kids out:

GINGERS!

TeenFink said:

oh, come on.....BROWN HAIR? hello, fashion nazi!!!! also, wtf is wrong with vox guitars???

• February 28, 2012 3:31 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wait, fanny packs are still cool, though, right? <phew>

• February 28, 2012 10:46 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

oh, come on.....BROWN HAIR? hello, fashion nazi!!!! also, wtf is wrong with vox guitars???

Alison said:

Uncool: paisley, ruffled shirts, bell bottoms, wallet chains, neckerchiefs, mailman, velvet, guns, matching suits, hippie, tambourines, brown hair, rockabilly, turtle necks, goatees, space suits, brown vests, wrestling masks, CBGB t-shirts, polka dots, cocktails, Beatle boots, Beatle hair, scarfs, spy theme, fat guys, Vox guitars, 1980s version of the 1960s

• February 25, 2012 3:02 PM CST
    • Untitled

That reminds me of when I saw the "Misfits" last year I can't remember the names of the current lineup but one of the guys would it have been Danzig? His hairline has receeded so much that the devil lock is now impossible so he grew a ponytail and dies it black, then just before the show tapes it to his head and puts a cap over the tape.

John Carlucci said:

Nothing looks worse than a middle aged dude trying to squeeze into pants that are way too thin & tight or trying to hide a receding hair line with a weird comb over. LOL. (I still have my hair at 55 btw I wear hats when my gray roots start showing- and let me warn you how fucked up my feet are now because of years of wearing Beatle Boots!)

• February 25, 2012 12:12 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I will never have a matching outfit setup as great as the Hamburglars and I am ridiculously jealous right now, that rules!

• February 25, 2012 3:47 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey thats great, Hamburglers!

more crazy uniforms please (ulp I bought a Austrian military jacket complete with the Nazi style cap thinkin this would be cool for when onstage, haven't had the balls to do this as i don't wanna be lynched)

• February 24, 2012 9:53 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hahahaha ... yes indeed

Doug Dickerson said:

Now if you were from Hamburg Germany this would be doubly cool.

The Hamburglars said:

ummm ... ROBBLE!

• February 24, 2012 9:42 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Now if you were from Hamburg Germany this would be doubly cool.

The Hamburglars said:

ummm ... ROBBLE!

• February 23, 2012 11:28 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

yep...white tees, shades and swim trunksthe Get Wets  ...always

• February 23, 2012 7:21 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

When I was younger, I was way more image conscious. As the dude above mentioned, when one gets older things change. Luckily I realized this in my mid thirties and I began to think that if I was going to continue doing music, I would have to have a different approach. So I started paying more attention to my musical abilities than my hair or boots. I've been involved with a few "uniform" bands. The Hexxers wore African Voodoo masks & we played matching Hallmark Sweptwing instruments.  I could not see a thing out of the eye holes on stage & had to play blindly. The wooden masks would bouce around and smack me in the face if I moved at all! I sat in on bass with the Ghastly Ones for a few shows in the Pacific NW & wore their Top Hats, white shirt & vest uniform , but I felt weird. I look at the pictures from the show, and the image looks good on the other guys in the band, but I felt like a fish out of water. I've always been a non- conformist. (No Tattoos or piercings for example)  And getting back to the growing older gracefully thing...Nothing looks worse than a middle aged dude trying to squeeze into pants that are way too thin & tight or trying to hide a receding hair line with a weird comb over. LOL. (I still have my hair at 55 btw I wear hats when my gray roots start showing- and let me warn you how fucked up my feet are now because of years of wearing Beatle Boots!) I'm not against image or getting dressed up, I'm just into individuality.  It's the uniform thing that I don't care for. Unless you are lucky enough to have 5 guys with the exact same body type, someone in the band  is not going to look good. I'm Italian, I have curly hair.  Back in the day when I had long hair it was wild & bushy, we called them Guido-fro's (kinda like the MC5 & Dictators had). There was no way in hell I was gonna get that mop to resemble a Beatle haircut.  Of course When I was in the Fuzztones Rudi tried everything to get me to conform to his idea of The Fuzztones image. (Basically he wants everyone in the entire world to look just like he does)...He suggested I iron my hair straight?? lol! I'm not kidding. Of course I didn't, but I hear he made one of the guys that replaced me in the band wear a wig! ...Luckily my new band has 3 girls & 2 guys, so we couldn't really dress the same even if we wanted to! And like I'm going to compete with 3 hot girls in my own band? Nah, I let my fingers do the talking!

• February 23, 2012 10:49 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah -- this will get me shot, but I am so over the heavily tatted look. And I have some tats. I mean -- do what you like, but in 2012, its not exactly a rebellion thing, is it?

Dalevis said:

Isn't rock and roll and especially garage/punk rock all about "posing?" Isn't it more about standing in front of the mirror with a tennis racket for a guitar and deciding to be a rock star as opposed to sitting at the end of your bed practicing scales? Wasn't that whole British invasion thing as much about the look as it was the sound?  Isn't choosing not to wear stage gear a contrived "image?"  It’s all been done.  Image. Anti-image.  I’ll take the image please. Trust me. In a noisy club with crappy sound, your music doesn’t do the talking for you like you think.

After all, do we do this to blend in or do we do this to stand out? Being tatted up with a Mohawk is every bit as mainstream now as Pat Boone was in 1959. My band Thee Mighty Shake Spears played the punk rock club the other night. All the tribes were present.  All the countercultures represented. We walked in to the place in drainpipe trousers and Chelsea boots with coats and skinny ties and people were like what the…? We were every bit as confrontational dressed that way in that environment as the punks were in 1977 London. I’d rather walk in the room and have somebody say that dude is in the band as opposed to having them wonder whether or not I’m just there tuning the guitar for the actual band.

• February 23, 2012 10:42 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I love it. <('*)<

I used to dress up a lot. Hell -- I made my own see-thru plastic mini-skirt and my GF fashioned a crushed black velvet / blood red satin Dracula cape with a 6" cowl, but that was years ago. These days? I'm a little "thicker," and have a lot less hair. Not a lot, but enough where I don't want to see me in a skirt. My current project hasn't played a live show to be honest. We just swap garageband files like a couple of luddites who just discovered the ON button. It's been super fun to just explore songwriting, but I miss the hell out of tearin' it up in front of a studio audience. So that is next for us, I think; the "live thing."

Personally I am angling' for tailored red and blue suits with top hats, and bright yellow ties.

Doug Dickerson said:

Our theme for "Northside Garage" is Garage - work shirts with names and hats. The upside is I never have to think about what to wear. Guess that's a little lazy too ;)

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel