Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Boss Martians will be doing a few surf/drag/frat shows

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 10, 2012 4:19 PM CST
    • Untitled

This is really cool news for the people who liked the Boss Martians' surf/instro days.  Personally, I think their newer power pop stuff is just barely "meh", but whatever.

This is from the Boss Martians Facebook page:

"the first ever BEST OF BOSS MARTIANS "The Dionysus Years" will be released this year (on, well, Dionysus Records) and it will feature the best Surf/Drag/Frat material from our first three releases circa 1994-2000. Its been super fun going back through the original masters and preparing this album - more news soon and from the way its starting to look there will be some support shows behind this release - yes, essentially a return to the original Boss Martians sound for a few shows - so if anyone out there is interested this oughtta be one hell of a fun run back through the 90s haha - news soon I hope...e"

• February 12, 2012 8:03 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Can't wait, luv the Boss Martians!!

• February 12, 2012 2:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

So glad to hear this!!! I like both of the Boss Martians' sounds, but I REALLY (sorry John) dug their first album. Spot-on classic surf, and I love the organ sound on that record. I will DEFINITELY be buying the best of CD! I already have all this stuff... but who cares. Can't wait to hear where they're playing, 'cause i will travel to see this show, if need be. 

• February 11, 2012 5:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Their "new sound" was originally a side-project of the band called The Mystery Action. I still have a copy of The Mystery Action CD on MuSick, and it's exactly the same kind of style that the BMs changed to (I think it was even the same band members if I remember correctly). I guess Evan didn't like the idea of having two separate bands going at once, because he ditched the whole Mystery Action idea and just incorporated that sound into the BMs. Not sure why he decided to do that... I think, if he wanted to change styles like that, he should've kept going as The Mystery Action and dropped the more surf'n'drag/garage-sounding "Boss Martians" name instead, but that isn't obviously what happened. Go figure.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• February 11, 2012 3:43 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I LIKED THEIR FIRST ALBUM , KIND OF CONTRIVED , MAYBE LIKE A FAR SLICKER EARLY HENTCHMEN (BOTH BANDS WERE PATTERNED LARGELY ON THE RIVIERAS....NOT A BAD THING.)...But , this was in the 90's when the economy only sucked audibly , not OUT LOUD....AND , LIKE A LOT OF PEOPLE , i WAS BUYING ALMOST ANY NEW GARAGE BAND'S LPs.....Then , trading a lot of them back , including THE BOSS MARTIAN'S DEBUT. NOT THAT i THOUGHT IT WAS BAD , BUT i KNEW i WOULD'NT LISTEN TO IT FOR 5 TO 10 YEARS.....

I SAW THE BOSS MARTIANS IN 2006 , WHEN THEY SEEMED ON THE VERGE OF GETTING SOME OF THOSE GARAGE ROCK DOLLARS.....I WAS THERE TO SEE THE SIRENS , MAKING A RARER - THAN - HEN'S NUTS APPEARANCE OUTSIDE OF DETROIT. THEY KILLED , BOSS MARTIANS WERE'NT BAD , BUT , I WAS'NT SOLD ON THEIR NEW SOUND.......

• February 10, 2012 4:41 PM CST
    • Untitled

I have to admit, I do like their power pop stuff, but prefer their earlier surf/garage material. This IS great news, though! Looking forward to getting my hands on this, so thanks for posting!

• February 10, 2012 4:39 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

They were pretty good at the power-pop stuff (which was obviously influenced by Steve Marriott), but some of it on their last album bordered on Green Day-style pop punk, I think. I'd actually been wondering what they've been up to lately, so this is good news. I agree that their early surf'n'drag garage stuff was really great.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel