Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Raw Power, De Stijl, Boom- how does one get that magic, awful so

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 27, 2012 5:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm trying to record an EP for my 3 piece garage punk band and I want looooooo-fi. Those albums are my top 3 inspirations for recording, but I don't know shit about recording. I live in NYC, so I have access to awesome studios, but I can't tell who's blowing smoke up my ass when they say "lo-fi". What should I be looking for? What questions should I be asking? Is there anything I can do myself?

• January 28, 2012 10:54 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Your best bet would be to find an engineer/producer who's familiar with your genre and has had (proven) experience with recording bands you can relate to… Studio facilities and equipment hardly matters when working with the right people.

• January 27, 2012 7:35 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Get a left/right mic input tape recorder (or a 4-track with only two mics plugged in, each one panned all the way to left or right). Put each mic on a mic stand at opposite ends of the room. Record everything live.

• January 27, 2012 7:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

JW recorded De Stijl in his house with cheap equipment. Chances are, the more expensive your studio is, the less likely you are to get a 'lo-fi' sound. Best bet is to go DIY and make do with poor conditions, that requires a lot of know-how though. If you have a lot of time to experiment then you should record the raw tracks yourself and maybe get a pro to mix them for you.

That 'magic, awful sound' is going to be a combination of good songwriting, a well produced record, and recording with the musicians who have the right feel. It's a lot more than just going to the right place.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel