Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Johnny Otis, R.I.P.

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 20, 2012 10:51 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A short little piece about Johnny's passing by Dave Alvin:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2012/01/johnny-otis-obituary-dave-alvin-appreciation.html

Guitarist, songwriter and singer Dave Alvin, a founding member with his brother Phil of Los Angeles roots-rock group the Blasters and subsequently a member of punk band X and critically lauded solo artist, remembers Johnny Otis. The bandleader, songwriter, producer, talent scout, drummer and disc jockey died Tuesday at age 90:

Johnny Otis was HUGE in my brother's and my musical education and early musical experience.

I was about 14 when we started following Johnny Otis and his band around Southern Cal like Deadheads and Parrotheads would do years later for the Dead and [Jimmy] Buffett.

He had a stunning band (I can still name them all with the exception of the drummer, who I do recall was from the band Kaleidoscope) and his shows were a consistent, thrilling tribute to West Coast blues, R&B and soul.

Johnny was always nice and friendly to us and that meant the world to us. He was even interested in managing one of my brother’s teenage blues bands way back when. Twenty years later, I saw him perform in Long Beach and he walked right up to me and started talking to me as if no time had passed at all.

He was a huge force in R&B on the West Coast and in the Southwest, from Central Avenue in L.A. to Houston and Memphis. In his way, Johnny was as important as [Sun Records founder] Sam Phillips or [Chess Records co-founder] Leonard Chess in discovering new talent, both as a bandleader but also as a record producer -- everyone from Little Esther to Johnny Ace to Little Richard to Big Mama Thornton and so many more.

Not only was his music a gigantic influence on me, his political and sociological views always forced me to think outside the box. While I didn’t agree with everything he said, I agreed with a lot of it.

Johnny Otis made me think while I was rocking. Not many artists can do that.

Damn. This is really sad.

• January 20, 2012 3:36 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

WA WA makes me Dizzy Miss Lizzy

• January 19, 2012 3:59 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Great Man, Great Music, Great Greek.  

• January 19, 2012 3:42 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This is  very sad....I mean , yes , he lived a long , full life and had a career that showed no signs of slowing , but , Rock'n'Roll , Rhythm 'n' Blues , Call it Your mammy if you want , has lost one of it's oldest and dearest friends.... He made it his lifetime ambition to promote the music , and the many great artists that passed through it's ranks. Someone called him , outside of John Brown , one of the least racist White men in history. He worked with Black Singers and Musicians LONG before it was acceptable , and in many quarters , even legal , to do so , necessitating his efforts to pass for a light - skinned Black man , at times.

But , of course , today , his music is still loved , and the later concert revues he put on were still barn - burners.  I saw one such show , some 20 years ago , when Otis shared a bill at the now - cornball Chicago Bluesfest (A friend would tell you not to bother with it , anymore. I'm your friend , don't bother.) with Jimmy McGriff and Hank Crawford. The only Johnny Otis Orchestra classic his latter day aggregation performed was "Willie and The Handjive" , but , make no mistake , they tore that sucker OUT.  Johnny's Son , cult hero , and , briefly , member of Arthur Lee and Love , Shuggie Otis , filled the air with tasty and tasteful Blues Guitar leads (This was before his comeback bid.). IT WAS NOTHING IF NOT HIGH ENERGY AND HIGHLY ENTERTAINING.

Johnny met Alan Freed again , today. And , I'm about to tell you what the man had to say......

" HIT THAT JIVE , JACK . PUT IT IN YOUR POCKET TIL I GET BACK. I'M GOING DOWNTOWN TO SEE A MAN. I AIN'T GOT TIME TO SHAKE YOUR HAND ! ".

Rockin' in Heaven . REST , LIKE HELL !

• January 19, 2012 2:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What a life, Otis seemed to have his hand in so many of the early R&B & RnR acts. He had a show on KPFK here in LA for many years prior to his moving to Northern California. Head had the greatest stories, guests and music. My dad,  who would be 80 now, said he used to see Otis around their part of town all the time back in the 40’s and early 50’s. And I believe his KFOX show back then was broadcast from a store front or record store. I still have most of my dad’s 78 collection that I grew up playing on our big console.  That was my first exposure to his music as his name would appear on many of these records. His own orchestra on Harlem Nocturne, or backing Little Esther, Can’t remember if his name shows on the Credits of the Johnny Ace’s Pledging My love 78 or not,  but it pops up on credits on many of those discs. Big loss that I don’t think most people these days would recognize. Here is one of my prized Otis items I found for a few bucks on ebay awhile back .

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel