Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Bootlegs

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 20, 2012 4:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John,

My older brothers also used to have those Trademark Of Quality boots. The only one that survived to get passed along to me is The Who Live at Fillmore East, which I believe is from 1968. Great set and sound, though mine has lots of surface noise now. Those "Trademark" guys are featured in the history of bootleg records (forget what it's called) book if I recall accurately.

Another one I think is good is the Buzzcocks - "12 Reasons" which is early demo recordings. And the Pistols boot called "My Name Is John" which is from the Atlanta, Georgia show.

• January 20, 2012 3:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

I'd probably narrow it down to a Cramps bootleg , but , that would be too easy. Here's a few that rate high with me -

The Troggs - Live , Whisky A Go Go . Fuckin' blistering set , ca. the official release , "Live at Max's" , BUT , SEEMINGLY A LITTLE LATER, putting it at maybe 1980. Much better song selection and edgier performances in general (Not that "Max's" is'nt worth a shit. It's very good. Just a few too many covers.), and the usual Trogg humor-

REG : "EFF THAT YOONG BARMAID IS AROYND WITH A GLASS OF WATER , OY'D LOVE ONE.".

CHRIS (?) : Even if she's aroynd WITHOOT a glass of water !".

It sounds like Chris Britton on this recording , don't know if he'd rejoined The Troggs , yet.

Ramones - Live Cambridge , 1976. One of the best Ramones boots I've ever heard . Maybe THEE best. Plus side : GREAT SOUND , ULTRA - RAW BASHIN' PERFORMANCES , AND A RARE LIVE "BABYSITTER".  Down side : You get to hear some jock douchebags who are probably wealthy businessmen , today , beating the crap out of some of the members of DMZ.

Roky Erickson and The Aliens - "You Will Believe in Ghosts" This 2 LP live set , believed to be from 1977 features the classic Aliens lineup in Top form , with Roky in great voice , improvising on occasion with horrific results ( "I'm gonna break every bone in your body , lord , and I know just how to say it to you.....I told you I would see...you die ! Nothing, it , My God , God almighty , oh , God , My God !" ("Before in The Beginning")

But his stage raps are thebest - " One day , Mary Shelley and a group of friends were talking , and , all of a sudden , Frankenstein hit them , it was the scariest place imaginable.....So , this is Frankenstein II , Dracula II is coming...coming out , in tree form. Dr. Acula  .".

" This is a cameo picture that you left....about 100 Quilion years ago. The only kinds of stories I like to read are like by Ambrose Bierce...and things about things with big eyes , watching you. What if IT WAS THAT ? THAT'S A HORSE OF A DIFFERENT COLOR. ".

Plus side : The extremely rare "I Know How To Love You" (It's not even in the "Openers 2" book. ), and a terrific version of "Bo Diddley is a Headhunter " .

Down side : No "You're Gonna Miss Me" or "Splash One " , but life does go on.

This set , believed to be from Germany , was sold at Austin's outstanding and now - defunct Record Exchange (Not exclusively) . They charged a little more than they had to for it , so they could give Roky some money from the copies they sold.

Two of the earliest boots I ever heard were "David Bowie in Person", which is HALF , not all , of the fabled Ziggy Stardust Santa Monica Civic 1972 concert. It was a Trademark of Quality (One of the first Bootleg imprints, Still active in the 90's , tho' probably not the same people.)release , ongreen vinyl. It's more readily available , the entire show , today. Soundboard. My oldest Brother, Tom , had it.

My second oldest Brother , Steve , had / still has " The Rollling Stones , European Tour , 1970" Double LP on Rubber Dubber (The other major early Bootleg label. In fact , this release may be one of the first Bootlegs ,ever.).

I recently scored this for $6 , as well as the better known "Live'r Than You'll Ever Be" (Also a steal at $6 ) , credited as the incentive for The Stones TO FINALLY DO A LEGIT LIVE IN '70 LP OF THEIR OWN.....However , it's hard to believe the former release did'nt also inspire "Get Your Ya Ya's Out ! " , as it's a great performance , soundboard , not perfect , but , very good by the standards of the day , and , there's THREE Chuck Berry songs ( Let It Rock , Little Queenie and Roll Over , Beethoven.).

• January 17, 2012 9:30 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'd probably narrow it down to a Cramps bootleg , but , that would be too easy. Here's a few that rate high with me -

The Troggs - Live , Whisky A Go Go . Fuckin' blistering set , ca. the official release , "Live at Max's" , BUT , SEEMINGLY A LITTLE LATER, putting it at maybe 1980. Much better song selection and edgier performances in general (Not that "Max's" is'nt worth a shit. It's very good. Just a few too many covers.), and the usual Trogg humor-

REG : "EFF THAT YOONG BARMAID IS AROYND WITH A GLASS OF WATER , OY'D LOVE ONE.".

CHRIS (?) : Even if she's aroynd WITHOOT a glass of water !".

It sounds like Chris Britton on this recording , don't know if he'd rejoined The Troggs , yet.

Ramones - Live Cambridge , 1976. One of the best Ramones boots I've ever heard . Maybe THEE best. Plus side : GREAT SOUND , ULTRA - RAW BASHIN' PERFORMANCES , AND A RARE LIVE "BABYSITTER".  Down side : You get to hear some jock douchebags who are probably wealthy businessmen , today , beating the crap out of some of the members of DMZ.

Roky Erickson and The Aliens - "You Will Believe in Ghosts" This 2 LP live set , believed to be from 1977 features the classic Aliens lineup in Top form , with Roky in great voice , improvising on occasion with horrific results ( "I'm gonna break every bone in your body , lord , and I know just how to say it to you.....I told you I would see...you die ! Nothing, it , My God , God almighty , oh , God , My God !" ("Before in The Beginning")

But his stage raps are thebest - " One day , Mary Shelley and a group of friends were talking , and , all of a sudden , Frankenstein hit them , it was the scariest place imaginable.....So , this is Frankenstein II , Dracula II is coming...coming out , in tree form. Dr. Acula  .".

" This is a cameo picture that you left....about 100 Quilion years ago. The only kinds of stories I like to read are like by Ambrose Bierce...and things about things with big eyes , watching you. What if IT WAS THAT ? THAT'S A HORSE OF A DIFFERENT COLOR. ".

Plus side : The extremely rare "I Know How To Love You" (It's not even in the "Openers 2" book. ), and a terrific version of "Bo Diddley is a Headhunter " .

Down side : No "You're Gonna Miss Me" or "Splash One " , but life does go on.

This set , believed to be from Germany , was sold at Austin's outstanding and now - defunct Record Exchange (Not exclusively) . They charged a little more than they had to for it , so they could give Roky some money from the copies they sold.

• January 17, 2012 3:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio Birdmans "Rock 'n' Roll War" and Cure @ Ontario Theater, Washington nov 16:th 1984.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel