Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Internet Censorship Bill (U.S.)

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 16, 2012 2:38 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

First NDAA 1031, now this BS!  Is the U.S. Constitution a joke?! WAKE UP AND SEE WHAT'S GOING ON IN THIS COUNTRY AND WHY PEOPLE EVERYWHERE ARE JUST BEGINNING TO REVOLT:

"Congress is about to pass Internet censorship, even though the vast majority of Americans are opposed. We need to kill the bill - PIPA in the Senate and SOPA in the House - to protect our rights to free speech, privacy, and prosperity."

"The Senate is scheduled to vote on the internet censorship bill on Tuesday, January 24th, and unless we can find 41 senators to block the vote, it is going to pass. Will you meet with your senators during the January recess and ask them to vote it down?"

I certainly will! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE SIGN THIS AND DO YOUR PART!:

http://americancensorship.org/

If this passes what will eventually happen is that the Internet will become a mixture of BS Government Propaganda and fucking Wal-Mart ads.  This is real!  This is happening now!

• January 24, 2012 8:38 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

At least the positive point is that if they want to control the internet, it's because the internet is dangerous for them...

Let's the internet stays a threat !

• January 18, 2012 2:30 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yay! Now everyone can see that the American government has very little, if nothing, to do with the what the American people as a whole really believe. This is what our "FREEDOM" is all about... a special interest group AGENDA that rarely represents what the average American believes and makes everybody hate us for their warmongering, power hungry ways. This PIPA & SOPA is exactly counter and opposite our 1st Amendment assuring us freedom of speech, of the press, etc., as in the premise on which we're supposed to stand.

• January 17, 2012 10:12 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• January 17, 2012 9:40 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm trying to put the necessary code into place tonight so that the Hideout can participate in this online protest, too... IF I can get the code to work. We'll see, I guess.

• January 17, 2012 7:22 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm really glad that that Google and Wikipedia are protesting,that's great! What concerns me is that naturally everyone who has intellectual property does not want it taken and it should be protected, but that's easy to do.  With the internet everyone is learning as we go along now.  You can protect your images and get your shit copywritten before putting it out there if you so desire.  What the real fear is for (at least, our government) is that we no longer need Reuters, Associated Press or Fox News to get all our info and news from.  We can see police violence or video it or write about something that everyone should be aware of.  They're also scared to death of groups like Anonymous, because now we don't have to ask for the transparency we should naturally be getting in the first place, so they have to toe the line.  I don't know jack about programming or computer language or code and some of the things they do I feel is a bit unethical, BUT not any less so than our government has been as far as bullying us as a whole or as individuals.  So I say "keep on rocking in the free world", we're supposed to be all about freedom, right?

• January 17, 2012 1:22 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The sad thing is people are so sufficiently divided and/or media hypnotized (by TV, digital toys, and {well, the internet itself}), by all the completely unimportant things.  They do not consider the very real possibility of history repeating itself.  People are so distracted and divided that they don't even do anything or decide to get together regardless of their differences and do something (well it's slowly starting to happen actually).  So when something like what happened here, the NDAA passes which is completely against the 5th & 6th amendment or the so-called Patriot Act passes here, etc. you start to realize that the people up on the hill don't give one single shit about you. They don't tell you what they're really doing or they pretend it's in your best interest when it's absolutely not. They're going to do what they're going to do and they are a separate entity and they do not care or work for the common good.  (Sorry I'm not sure what it hit to make it italicized so I changed).

• January 17, 2012 3:17 AM CST
    • Untitled

I'm not American and I don't live in America but this stuff makes me very concerned. Basically because our right wing parties copy this sorta stuff and push it into legislation late at night when no-one is around to oppose it. I really hope the people are heard with this one!

• January 16, 2012 2:50 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thank you for posting this.  Thus, "Let's keep on saving it. Let's kill PIPA." because I didn't vote for the Patriot Act, I didn't vote on the NDAA, but we can hopefully do something about this. Please do your part, it hasn't been killed yet:

http://americancensorship.org/

• January 16, 2012 10:12 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just saw this on Boing Boing:

UPDATED: SOPA is DYING; its evil Senate twin, PIPA, lives on

Updated: Commenters have pointed out that I've jumped the gun here. SOPA is shelved, but not killed. It could be put back into play at any time.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor has killed SOPA, stopping all action on it. He didn't say why he killed it, but the overwhelming, widespread unpopularity of the bill and the threat of a presidential veto probably had something to do with it.

Before you get too excited, remember that the PROTECT IP Act (PIPA), the extremely similar Senate version of SOPA, is still steaming forward, and has to be stopped.

But you can get a little excited, as this is pretty goddamned great news. Six weeks ago, I was in DC talking to all the Hill rats of my acquaintance and to a one, they sucked their teeth and said, "Yeah, this thing really looks like it's going to pass. I don't like our chances." A friend who had served in several administrations said he'd "never seen the MPAA get its ducks in a row like this." So we did something amazing here. Thank you all for helping to save the net again.

Let's keep on saving it. Let's kill PIPA, then use this amazing energy to build something positive: a lobby for networked freedom, that acknowledges that the net is more than a glorified form of cable TV -- it's the nervous system of the information society. Any pretense that is used to build censorship and surveillance into the network will touch every part of networked life.

House Kills SOPA (via /.)

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel