Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Shit Record Nerds Say

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 10, 2012 12:37 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

so great i had to share.... come on, what kinda shit do YOU record nerds say?????

• January 12, 2012 4:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh , and I kissed Lorrie Collins about 15 years ago .There's a notch in my belt. "I don't mess around , boy.". Seriously , Record Nerds IN TRAINING say things like , "I have the vinyls" , I'm not kidding , they do. Or they'll say , "I have vinyl of that.". Saying "I have the record" or "I have it on vinyl" should be in Record Collecting 101. I HAVE LITTLE OR NOTHING IN COMMON WITH JUNIOR HIPSTERS , INC. , Just like I have nothing in common with Dance and Hip Hop DJs , except that we all buy "The Vinyl", however , at least the Junior Hipsters and myself , WE LISTEN TO THE RECORDS!!!!!! 

I GOT STUCK BEHIND TWO TEENAGERS AT A LISTENING STATION , THEY WERE LOOKING FOR A BREAK BEAT ON A 99 CENT 12" , AND THEY'RE TAKING FOR - FUCKING - EVER !!! I'M STANDING THERE , HOLDING A TWELVE DOLLAR 45 , THAT I JUST WANT TO PLAY FOR ABOUT 15 SECONDS , AND I'M LOOKING RIGHT AT THE REASON MOST RECORD STORES DON'T HAVE CUSTOMER TURNTABLES , ANYMORE.

John Battles said:

Whats funny is , I meet these English know - it - alls . I don't judge all British record collectors by them. I met some Londoners who told me they saw Arthur Lee and The ELECTRIC pRUNES , AND BOTH SHOWS WERE SHIT. Whatever, I saw Arthur at least 5 times , and The Prunes , once . Goes without saying each and every show was a gem to make your best girl's fanny ****TWINKLE!*****. tHE FACT THAT IT COULD'NT BE 1967 WHEN THEY SAW 'EM HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT. yes ! Lighter fluid - What the Hell? I do know someone who uses it , but only on his dollar records. We've all suffered prats , twats , prannies and fannies , right?    I met some English Rockabillies , and told 'em I like the early English Rock 'n' Rollers . He goes , "Oh ?  D'yer like Cliff Richard?". I thought it might have been a TRICK QUESTION , BUT , I told him , "Yes !" . He said , "Good ! So do we !". It's like being too cool to like Ricky Nelson because you could have taken him home (And watched him make off with your Sister , if she was half as hot as Lorrie Collins.).

• January 12, 2012 11:29 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's fan-fucking-tastic. Great post. But who else has been super jazzed to find a sweet piece of vinyl. Slide out the vinyl... Side A is near mint... and then BAM.... Side B looks like it was used by some amateur wanna be scratchin' DJ. Or even worse.... whole thing looks immaculate but only when you come home do you discover a small nick that totally ruins your listening experience and fucks up your needle to boot.

• January 12, 2012 3:03 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh Boy you got Me down to a "T" (whatever that means). ho, ho! Si mon

N yeAH I probably aquire more rubbish than I care to mention

• January 10, 2012 10:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Andrew , reminds me of a very early score at 2nd Hand Tunes (Where I think you and I might have met...) Some guy had first dibs on THE FUCKIN' LOLLIPOP SHOPPE LP !!!!!! THEY PLAYED ALMOST THE WHOLE RECORD , WHILE  THIS GUY DECIDED IF HE WANTED IT OR NOT....It was TORTURE !!!!! But , I talked to the guy , friendly like. He was'nt showing his cards. I finally offered to pay him more that he'd have paid for it ( Hey , Seuss ! It was only $3.50.) , but  , he saw it first , it was his call. Finally , he said it was annoying , and I could buy it. I shook his hand. God bless you for not having a clue !).

dave said:

Hey,John, I remember listening to a CD (shh!) at Sound Exchange one evening, and seeing this guy come up to the turntable w/ a battered copy of the 1st Dolls LP. After a minute or so, he took off the headphones and I said, "Hey, man, nice score! You don't see that used too often." Wow, the look he gave me, it wasn't like he was a hipster, it was like he couldn't figure out why anyone would give 2 shits about that album. Like you said, "Whatta douche!"

"You passed Pere Ubu live for Poison Idea?!" - Curses . Foiled again.They figured me out.

The Ebay segment is funny.

I smelled a record the other day , because it looked water - damaged. I got a bit self - conscious about it.

The bit about Heroin addicts who once supported a more noble addiction , sad but true....OK  ,not sad if you got some great records , cheap , but , still......

I don't really know what I say , because it's really a private pursuit. Sometimes I'll tell someone if they're considering something really good , that they should....

Once , I saw an English guy with a stack of CRAP Disco records that he's sure to make a huge profit from , back home (Nothing against my English mates. They KNOW it's true.). Separate from the stack was Moby Grapes' first LP (Yes , with the finger! But , I learned , recently , that's the lesser rarity of the two.)....I HAVE IT , BUT MINE IS A BIT BEAT....I gave him the thumbs up for finding it , he sneered. What a douche. Nothing against his nationality (My internal workings are partly English , too.), but , what a douche. He's have probably gone straight for the "Dance" section in the glory days of Wax Trax Records.

• January 10, 2012 10:43 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Whats funny is , I meet these English know - it - alls . I don't judge all British record collectors by them. I met some Londoners who told me they saw Arthur Lee and The ELECTRIC pRUNES , AND BOTH SHOWS WERE SHIT. Whatever, I saw Arthur at least 5 times , and The Prunes , once . Goes without saying each and every show was a gem to make your best girl's fanny ****TWINKLE!*****. tHE FACT THAT IT COULD'NT BE 1967 WHEN THEY SAW 'EM HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT. yes ! Lighter fluid - What the Hell? I do know someone who uses it , but only on his dollar records. We've all suffered prats , twats , prannies and fannies , right?    I met some English Rockabillies , and told 'em I like the early English Rock 'n' Rollers . He goes , "Oh ?  D'yer like Cliff Richard?". I thought it might have been a TRICK QUESTION , BUT , I told him , "Yes !" . He said , "Good ! So do we !". It's like being too cool to like Ricky Nelson because you could have taken him home (And watched him make off with your Sister , if she was half as hot as Lorrie Collins.).

• January 10, 2012 9:30 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

REEECOOOOORDS

• January 10, 2012 7:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"ugh re-press! I hate re-presses!"

• January 10, 2012 4:50 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

One of the funniest things for me is unspoken... when you find that perfect gem, and you look around like someone is going to fight you for it. You walk towards the counter convinced that someone is going to tackle you and take it. Then when you pay for it the guy at the register looks visibly pissed, probably because he didn't work the day before and missed the record when it came in. Too bad for them!

• January 10, 2012 3:10 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey,John, I remember listening to a CD (shh!) at Sound Exchange one evening, and seeing this guy come up to the turntable w/ a battered copy of the 1st Dolls LP. After a minute or so, he took off the headphones and I said, "Hey, man, nice score! You don't see that used too often." Wow, the look he gave me, it wasn't like he was a hipster, it was like he couldn't figure out why anyone would give 2 shits about that album. Like you said, "Whatta douche!"

"You passed Pere Ubu live for Poison Idea?!" - Curses . Foiled again.They figured me out.

I smelled a record the other day , because it looked water - damaged. I got a bit self - conscious about it.

The bit about Heroin addicts who once supported a more noble addiction , sad but true....OK  ,not sad if you got some great records , cheap , but , still......

I don't really know what I say , because it's really a private pursuit. Sometimes I'll tell someone if they're considering something really good , that they should....

Once , I saw an English guy with a stack of CRAP Disco records that he's sure to make a huge profit from , back home (Nothing against my English mates. They KNOW it's true.). Separate from the stack was Moby Grapes' first LP (Yes , with the finger! But , I learned , recently , that's the lesser rarity of the two.)....I HAVE IT , BUT MINE IS A BIT BEAT....I gave him the thumbs up for finding it , he sneered. What a douche. Nothing against his nationality (My internal workings are partly English , too.), but , what a douche. He's have probably gone straight for the "Dance" section in the glory days of Wax Trax Records.

• January 10, 2012 3:04 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I still laugh at the elitist stance that they (we) exhibit.

"Oh, that's out-of-print. You can't find it anymore."

• January 10, 2012 1:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel