Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: THE WAYBACK MACHINE

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 9, 2012 12:39 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Greetin's Cretins,

I've been meaning to post here about my old radio show, The Wayback Machine, that I (and for a while, my buddy Jaimz) used to host on KDHX FM 88.1 in St. Louis. The show lasted from Nov. 1995 through Aug. 2006, almost 11 years. This show was actually the reason GaragePunk.com was born! Back in 2001, I wanted to create a website where I could post info & playlists from the show online for informational purposes, and I wanted to have a corresponding message board so people could post about bands & music and crap.

Well, when I went checking for potential domain names, nothing with "Wayback Machine" was available (such as waybackmachine.com), so I just decided on a whim to grab garagepunk.com. So, for the first year or so, GaragePunk.com was merely the online home to my radio show with info, playlists, and a really primitive message board/commenting system on it.

Then, in late 2002 I added the GaragePunk Forums message board, and the site sort of took on a mind (or identity) of its own, leaving my show behind. I kept posting my playlists to the site, though, and then, after I quit doing the show in '06, I transformed the old HTML site into a WordPress blog, with a different blog post for each episode. It took forever for me to accomplish this (several months of copying & pasting in playlist after playlist), but I finally got it finished sometime in 2008. I ALSO started digitizing old CD-R and cassette-tape recordings of some of the episodes, and posted MP3 links on those episode posts. So some of the episode posts on the blog not only have the playlist for the show, but also links to any available audio files (along with a player to listen online).

I'm still in the process of digitizing a bunch of cassettes as well as a small stack of CD-Rs, but I should be nearing completion of that by sometime this spring. In the meantime, you can check out what I already have up on the site. If you click on the "Audio" category from the menu on the right, it will bring up a listing of only those episodes with available recordings attached, if you want to actually listen to some of them.

If you were ever a fan of my Savage Kick or Noise Annoys podcasts here, you should check 'em out. I'll try to remember to post a reply here as I continue to add new audio files (old recordings of the show) as I continue to digitize this stuff. Enjoy, and STAY SICK!

Bookmark it: http://waybackmachine.garagepunk.com

Thanks!
      kopper

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• May 11, 2012 10:18 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just added a bunch of audio files for episodes from AprilMay, and June 2003. Check 'em out!

As far as I can tell, that's ALL of the CD-Rs of my show that I recorded. They're all online now. I still have a good stack of cassette tapes to go through, though, so watch this thread for more audio files to be added hopefully soon.

• February 22, 2012 10:48 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, it's pretty goofy. Bill isn't too fond of it. I think the editing could've been better, which is probably why he didn't want me to tag him when I posted it on Facebook, haha! It's also pretty low-quality, but keep in mind, this was made back in Feb. 2004 before YouTube or any of that stuff really took off. It also preceded Bill's Lo-Fi Saint Louis videoblog.

I do look pretty young, don't I? A youthful 38, in fact.

• February 18, 2012 4:08 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm crackin up! This is just too cool! Young Kopper blastin heat!

Produced by Bill Streeter, I see. How many records did he have you name? 200? :)

Here for the stir

• February 18, 2012 12:21 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• January 17, 2012 2:12 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

too good, you know I love all that Wayback Machine stuff! The art is pretty darn great too!
      Looks like the wayback machine really is a living link between the old radio and cassette days and the podcasting format we know now. Thanks for all the work putting it to digital format, I'll enjoy every second of it.

Here for the stir

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel