Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Rolling Stones"

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 30, 2011 2:39 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This is the title to a DVD that I just bought, and it is a concert film from the Stones' 1972 tour.  It's a very good concert film, and it shows the Stones' at the tail end of my favorite era for that band.  

BTW, has anyone here checked out the DVD that shows the Stones during their 1978 "Some Girls" tour?  I'm going to get it later.

• January 1, 2012 7:54 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 31, 2011 6:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

MikeL pointed out , I was mistaken , there are extras on the "Ladies and Gentlemen" DVD.

• December 30, 2011 3:33 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , he's got black tape on the swastika ! But , he often wore his "Destroy" T-shirt uncovered on stage.

Mark George Harrison said:

I havent but my mate, a Stones mega fan, reckons its one of the best concerts they ever recorded, apart from Jagger wearing a Vivienne westwood t-shirt. apparently he looks self-conscious all gig and only takes his jacket off right at the end.

• December 30, 2011 3:15 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , MikeL , I have it. I had to get it , for closure's sake. You see , my Cousin and I were standing in line for (Possible.) tickets to that same show , July , '78 , Ft. Worth. The Stones had not announced any dates on the "Some Girls'' tour in The Dallas/Ft. Worth area , until , at the last minute , tickets went on sale for a small venue show at The Will Rogers Theatre (I'm told it holds , or held about 2000 people ,  but the one time I was there , it looked more like a 500 - 1000 SEATER , but , I was probably mistaken.). The location tickets would be sold at was'nt even announced , presumably to distribute tickets evenly without riotous conditions. YEAH , RIGHT. I FIGURED OUT , YEARS LATER , THE SCALPERS GOT MOST OF THE TICKETS. THEY CLOSED UP SALES AFTER ABOUT 150 PEOPLE WENT INSIDE , AT THE LOCATION WE OPTED FOR , TO GIVE IT A TRY....And there was only one other (Also undisclosed) ticket location. Did'nt make sense to me.... All three of my Brothers got tickets from friends at school , for face , which I remember being $10. A LOT OF THEIR FRIENDS SCORED TICKETS , TOO. I WAS STILL IN Jr. High , where The STONES WERE "QUEERS".

RECENTLY , I SAW A COUPLE OF DVD Bootlegs of PART of the show , almost checked 'em out , just to see what I'd missed. But , this legit release was worth the wait. It's a great performance , beautifully filmed with fine sound. Plus , in the crowd shots , you expect to see people crushing each other , but , everyone seems to have room , and the selfishness and violence disguised as "Fun", which  permeates shows today , is nowhere to be seen. The band insisted on minimum security , so , the fans were on their honor.  This strategy worked. Of course , The Stones still do small venue gigs , but , there's no way in HELL they would'nt beef up security. I have , and you have , seen 'em turn up the intimidation tactics for FAR , FAR MORE OBSCURE BANDS.

The Stones , for a while , had a new lease on life (The Scorcese film and the" Bigger Bang" album are certainly comparable.). And , yeah , I got my closure.

Unlike "Ladies and Gentlemen" , there are extras , An extended TV interview with Horrendo Revolver , and the historically important , but , mostly awful Stones on SNL performance , with former funnyman , Dan Akyroyd , as Tom Snyder doing a mock interview with Jagger that's very funny , and , at times , could pass for a real , lost "Snyder-Jagger" interview. 

I was a little letdown by "Ladies and Gentlemen" , only because I expected it to be a vast improvement on the bootleg copy I have ....It's certainly must - viewing for fans of that era.

Much of that was shot in Ft.Worth , at the 17,000 seater Tarrant County Convention Center , now a shoebox by today's standards for bands of their stature.

I saw the movie after it's (Major cities only) initial run , in Peoria , Illinois.

But , it's a case of , decide what it is you really want or need. I bought the excellent Ed Sullivan shows set (4 of the 6 episodes , in full , that they appeared on.) , only to find out , they followed it up with a new set that includes all 6 episodes they appeared on !        The sets also include Tom Jones , Petula Clark , and even The Muppets (Don't laugh. They've got a Garage Punk band , here , that could make an ass out of this year's favorites.) , and an Aqua Velva commecial with Mamie Van Doren !

Also , The Live in Ft. Worth '78 set was released , after the DVD LINGERED IN THE PRE - xMAS HAZE , as a DVD/CD package , AND THERE'S A CRAZY EXPENSIVE BOX SET THAT I THINK ONLY ADDS  A 45 and maybe a book..

If they have to bleed us like that , I'd like to know that it's going to The Red Cross OR SOMETHING.

Anyway , if you're a fan of "Some Girls" , arguably their last great album , until "A Bigger Bang" came on , almost 30 years later....I highly recommend it.

• December 30, 2011 2:43 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I havent but my mate, a Stones mega fan, reckons its one of the best concerts they ever recorded, apart from Jagger wearing a Vivienne westwood t-shirt. apparently he looks self-conscious all gig and only takes his jacket off right at the end.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel