Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Mod bands past & present

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 28, 2011 2:14 PM CST
    • Untitled

I think of Mod as white, mostly British bands playing updated, higher-energy,  R&B/Motown/Soul-inspired rock...The Who is an obvious classic Mod band. The Jam is an obvious 'mod-revival' first-wave punk-era band. Others come to mind:

The Who
      The Small Faces (early)
      The Kinks (?)
      The Action
      The Creation 

The Jam
      The Lambrettas
      Purple Hearts

Others? Start listing 'em, folks...

• September 12, 2012 6:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ghod, yeah, the Birds seemed to only do covers, but they seriously ripped it up. Love 'em!

SarahJayne said:

If you like the Creation, you'll prob. like the (British) Birds as well. Ronnie Wood <3

• September 10, 2012 7:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Were Q65 ever considered Mod ? I can understand Dutch Mods listening to them , but they never struck me as being anything other than angry , greasy R'n'B/Proto Punk. If anybody is interested in one of the definitive accounts of debauchery in Rock'n'Roll , check out Pim Scheelings' outstanding "Q65". Pim is here on the hideout. I don't know if you can order directly from him , if not , Mike Stax at Ugly Things , has it.

Bittersweet story about Bo Diddley. He used to play in Chicago all the time at this crap bar up the street from me. MAYBE A FEW MODS SHOWED UP , BUT , I NEVER WOULD HAVE EXPECTED TO SEE ANY.

hicksville hogwash said:

Ahhhhh fuckin' Modz.  I was one '79 ish ....yeh  a revialist, powered by thee jam.  Quadraphenia movie's out.  Every dickhead Jimmy wannabe riding round gardens at drunk'n parties, wardrobes pushed outta bedroom windows, pill popping.... anyol'shit the pharmacists son could steal.... incuding cod liver oil capsules.

What turned me off mod was when God - Bo Diddley came to a city 12 miles away.  I and 2 friends went on scooterz.  (I expected the place to be full of suited coolsterz but nah those mods had no idea, other than thee who, quadrahenia and motown).  I shared Bo with greasy ol' long haired biker rockerz.  It still is the best live experience ever.   A small pub backroom and Bo backed by an eager young rock n' roll group.

I'd suggest checking out dutch mods -

any q65 material http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgduSEG2gG8 

de maskers - sensations in sounds album. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dx168kpFAg

and bo diddley.

....how do you embed vids?......

• September 10, 2012 7:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"When Paul Weller comes to America , he says he has nothing to do with The Mod Revival . Those kids are beating each other up over HAIRCUTS over there !" .

Pete Zaremba , The Fleshtones , on why he refused a personal invite to open for The Jam in New York City.

John Battles said:

Mod and Mod Psych : The Eyes , The Move  , The Birds , The Smoke , The Sorrows ....

Mod Revival : U.S. Mods , Civilized Age (Mod Psych) , Mod Fun ( All U.S.)

Secret Affair (UK).

• September 10, 2012 7:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

And , of course , Van Morrisson was motivated to start his own R'N'B BAND , INSTEAD OF A SHOW BAND , FROM SEEING THE MIGHTY , MIGHTY SECT. I ASKED DON CRAINE OF THE SECT (WHO'S GREEN - BLOODED LIKE MORRISSON ,  AND , FOR THE MOST PART , MYSELF.) IF VAN EVER SAT IN , AT LEAST ON HARP OR SAX , WITH THE SECT , BUT , IT TURNS OUT , HE DID'NT.

Thee Retroman said:

The Sect were not mods as such but the original South London mods loved to see them live with their pure R&B sets and the Irish mods followed Them as an R&B band, again not mod as such but the music suited. Mods never really had their own bands they listened to R&B and take from anything thats cool! they had taste!

John Battles said:

Artwoods and John's  Children , I agree with. I never thought of The Sect or Them as Mod , so much as hard R'n'B , but ,then ,  The Sect were all over the place. Funny thing , tho' , I heard some mod organizations hired The Sect and The Troggs for their events. Then comlained that they did'nt sound enough like their records....If they sounded any more like their records , now, they'd have to announce Winston Churchill's death between sets.

Dan ring said:

The prisoners are a great example of the mod sound. Another band that had some bite,also from the 80's was les elite.

...more on the power pop tip but a personal fave of the mod revival groups of the 80's was the teen beats! They had a great 7" out called I can't control myself.
      Thee Retroman said:

The Prisoners were a mod band with bite! and so were the Daggerman... the energy of these bands was how mod should sound. 

The Eyes

The Sorrows

Johns Children

Downliners Sect

The Wheels

Them

The Artwoods.......................

theres a few to start you off lol

• September 10, 2012 5:27 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Mod bands well look wise I think Ivans Meads and St Louis Union take some beating, they really are the real deal, and stand side by side the likes of The Action, The Small Faces. There was another band that had the look sewn up just as much as the bands I just mentioned, They were a bunch of kids from Nottingham England, called This End, but sadly never made it to a studio, neither did fellow Nottingham band The Children who were the official support band for The Small faces, when they played The Boat Club.

Sound wise too many to mention if i am honest

• February 12, 2012 8:13 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nice performance. I dig the soulful sound. I should have mentioned before that all the Japanese bands on my list go back to the 60's mod era albeit with a heavy garage edge. Come to think of it there aren't many 70's style revivalists, powerpop kinda punk is big now but nothing really happening with the mods revival sound.

I was out shopping for records today and picked up Pebbles Vol. 6 , with the sub-title "The Roots of Mod" and it's a great comp of early British group sounds. Another comp I still keep with me is a CD a got years ago called "Untamed & Innocent" with The Sorrows, The Untamed, The Thoughts & The Loot.

The Reply said:

Not a lot of 60's mod bands around these days that I'm aware of...(besides ourselves!). Love to hear from others that don't peg their sound to late 70's revival.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxc7q6CfT3w&feature=related

• February 11, 2012 11:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey , Mole . You probably won't remember me , but , I saw The Embrooks once in New York and twice in Chicago , and hung out with the lot of yez. You sounded great. Hope you've been all right. John.

Mole said:

Thank you that man!

kopper said:

THE EMBROOKS

• February 2, 2012 12:00 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Thank you that man!

kopper said:

THE EMBROOKS

• January 31, 2012 4:31 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

The Fog Band were really awesome, having only one single published and lasted for 6 years and disappeared. I even wrote a Wikipaedia entry on them.

• January 31, 2012 4:20 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Station 360, played a lot around Hampshire in the UK during the 80s, released one cassette EP.....they were great..... 

• January 28, 2012 4:23 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I forgot to mention its Volume 3 of the series that I own. The rest of the cd is actually pretty good but that 1st track is just shit hot!

Chris Henniker said:

I've been hearing about this compilation ans seeing it in Rough Trade, up in Brick Lane.

Hi Class Joes said:

I bought a cd recently called Rare mod on Acid Jazz. There's alot of ropey tracks on it but the opening track by the Montana's called 'Open the Door' is a real stormer. Check it out!

• January 27, 2012 4:22 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I've been hearing about this compilation ans seeing it in Rough Trade, up in Brick Lane.

Hi Class Joes said:

I bought a cd recently called Rare mod on Acid Jazz. There's alot of ropey tracks on it but the opening track by the Montana's called 'Open the Door' is a real stormer. Check it out!

• January 27, 2012 1:54 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• January 25, 2012 10:24 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• January 24, 2012 4:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I've not heard the Pizzicato Five in years.

Marty Shane, Pacifiction Records said:

The Mods Revival in Japan solidified in 1981 with a big scooter run and festival called Mods Mayday (taken from the '79 comp). And they've been going strong every year since. A lot of the bands have been quite a mixture of garage punk, indie pop, shibuya kei, ska, along with some more pure Mods groups like The Collectors, The Fave Raves, The Neat Beats, The Shamrock... There's a 25th anniversary comp full of this stuff. There's also regular events connected to these organizers like March of the Mods. This site poorly needs updating, but it's done by the Mods Mayday people:

http://www.thisismodernworld.com/

Some of currently popular Japanese mods bands include:

THE MINNESOTA VOODOO MEN (suits with a garage edge)

THE BAWDIES (Beatles influence, huge right now, will support The Sonics this year)

THE MERCIES (like The Bawdies but all girls and much raunchier!)

THE SHALLOWS (Mods sound with a touch of GS)

THE SCARLETTES (from Osaka, Who covers and such)

And a bunch of girl groups come to mind SHANGHAI BABIES, THAT'S A NO-NO, SIX, THE PHANTASMS...

Some others mentionable are The Playmates, les Cappuccino even Pizzicato Five, known for mixing Mod fashion & sounds with Shibuya Kei electro-pop.

I'm probably missing a bunch but these are the ones that mind at the moment.

• January 19, 2012 9:31 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nice, Dan ring, I was just about to mention the Teen Beats. A few years back when I was hanging out in Montreal I came across a couple of Teen Beats 7"... I used to be quite the mod myself. Still have a parka. But going full mod every day is too much work.

Dan ring said:

The prisoners are a great example of the mod sound. Another band that had some bite,also from the 80's was les elite.

...more on the power pop tip but a personal fave of the mod revival groups of the 80's was the teen beats! They had a great 7" out called I can't control myself.
      Thee Retroman said:

The Prisoners were a mod band with bite! and so were the Daggerman... the energy of these bands was how mod should sound. 

The Eyes

The Sorrows

Johns Children

Downliners Sect

The Wheels

Them

The Artwoods.......................

theres a few to start you off lol

• January 16, 2012 6:01 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The The Datson Four:

• January 14, 2012 10:18 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Recently, Martin & Keith from Neon Hearts came to Japan for a tribute release. They did a few session live shows with the Japanese bands that covered their songs and on the last nite they also played a couple of Circles songs. Had no idea they were both also in the Circles after Neon Hearts folded, so it was a treat. I also saw The Fast Cars in Japan (about 5 years ago), a bit mod maybe more power pop.

• January 13, 2012 8:44 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Mods Revival in Japan solidified in 1981 with a big scooter run and festival called Mods Mayday (taken from the '79 comp). And they've been going strong every year since. A lot of the bands have been quite a mixture of garage punk, indie pop, shibuya kei, ska, along with some more pure Mods groups like The Collectors, The Fave Raves, The Neat Beats, The Shamrock... There's a 25th anniversary comp full of this stuff. There's also regular events connected to these organizers like March of the Mods. This site poorly needs updating, but it's done by the Mods Mayday people:

http://www.thisismodernworld.com/

Some of currently popular Japanese mods bands include:

THE MINNESOTA VOODOO MEN (suits with a garage edge)

THE BAWDIES (Beatles influence, huge right now, will support The Sonics this year)

THE MERCIES (like The Bawdies but all girls and much raunchier!)

THE SHALLOWS (Mods sound with a touch of GS)

THE SCARLETTES (from Osaka, Who covers and such)

And a bunch of girl groups come to mind SHANGHAI BABIES, THAT'S A NO-NO, SIX, THE PHANTASMS...

Some others mentionable are The Playmates, les Cappuccino even Pizzicato Five, known for mixing Mod fashion & sounds with Shibuya Kei electro-pop.

I'm probably missing a bunch but these are the ones that mind at the moment.

• January 13, 2012 3:46 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yep , I like the more Garage orientated Mods i.e,The Birds,Creation,Who(early stuf) & as you say those Dutch bands had the right idea.. as for revival stuf , anything thats not too self concious(I'm being very un mod here, probably cos i ain't) Dr Feelgood, Stranglers, yes the Jam(they had the tunes)...when it comes down to it most 79 era revival guys it just sounds like Power Pop... dunno what do you think?

hicksville hogwash said:

Ahhhhh fuckin' Modz.  I was one '79 ish ....yeh  a revialist, powered by thee jam.  Quadraphenia movie's out.  Every dickhead Jimmy wannabe riding round gardens at drunk'n parties, wardrobes pushed outta bedroom windows, pill popping.... anyol'shit the pharmacists son could steal.... incuding cod liver oil capsules.

What turned me off mod was when God - Bo Diddley came to a city 12 miles away.  I and 2 friends went on scooterz.  (I expected the place to be full of suited coolsterz but nah those mods had no idea, other than thee who, quadrahenia and motown).  I shared Bo with greasy ol' long haired biker rockerz.  It still is the best live experience ever.   A small pub backroom and Bo backed by an eager young rock n' roll group.

I'd suggest checking out dutch mods -

any q65 material http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgduSEG2gG8 

de maskers - sensations in sounds album. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dx168kpFAg

and bo diddley.

....how do you embed vids?......

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel