Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Criminally Overlooked Albums

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 18, 2011 2:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This is just a stub, to start things rollin'. The Beguiled put out Blue Dirge (Crypt) in '94, which really sent me for a loop. I'm a huge Cramps fan, so when I heard them live in Austin I was an instant fan! Great stage presence, too. No-one seems to talk about this LP, which is too bad...sample song and a mention from Tim Warren here

• December 23, 2011 11:53 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Blacktop- I've got a Baaad Feeling About This.

• December 22, 2011 8:59 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Pretties for you was some awesome evil psyche shit!

Bobby said:

Yer right on dude, I was just talking about the band, not the album.

The first 3 or 4 AC albums were the shit!

Bobby said:

I love the Alice Cooper album, but was talking about the BAND Easy Action... Somehow nobody knows who they are... 

John Battles said:

"Easy Action" (Alice Cooper Group) was mentioned , somewhere....I agree , it's a great , overlooked album , but , like "mAN wHO sOLD tHE wORLD" , it had the unlikeable position of preceding the big breakthrough album , "Love It To Death". Still , my personal favorite of the first two A.C. albums would be "Pretties For You". Not even as coherent as "Easy Action", it's a motherfuckin' mindfuck. Everything California Psych should have been , but seldom ever was (The fact that the band played their first show as Alice Cooper , supporting Blue Cheer , speaks volumes...get it? volumes? Is this thing on?).

• December 22, 2011 8:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yer right on dude, I was just talking about the band, not the album.

The first 3 or 4 AC albums were the shit!

Bobby said:

I love the Alice Cooper album, but was talking about the BAND Easy Action... Somehow nobody knows who they are... 

John Battles said:

"Easy Action" (Alice Cooper Group) was mentioned , somewhere....I agree , it's a great , overlooked album , but , like "mAN wHO sOLD tHE wORLD" , it had the unlikeable position of preceding the big breakthrough album , "Love It To Death". Still , my personal favorite of the first two A.C. albums would be "Pretties For You". Not even as coherent as "Easy Action", it's a motherfuckin' mindfuck. Everything California Psych should have been , but seldom ever was (The fact that the band played their first show as Alice Cooper , supporting Blue Cheer , speaks volumes...get it? volumes? Is this thing on?).

• December 22, 2011 8:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

• December 22, 2011 4:53 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 22, 2011 4:44 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

dave , if I knew how , I would. It's a wonder I can do this much , as I'm self - taught.

"Little Willy" was the first 45 I bought with my own money. Still , it was about 6 years until Sweet had another major U.S. hit , and that's a long time when you're a kid.....I was'nt really into them for a long time , but , when I did some investigating , I discovered  that this was a fucking ace band , as their peeps would say.....Every facet of their career (Except maybe the post - Brian Connolly era. Even some of that is OK. NOT ESSENTIAL.), including  the very early Psych and Bubblegum stuff , has it's charms. I saw the reformed group in , I think , '89.It was Andy Scott and Mick Tucker , both of whom had my jaw on the floor , and , subbing  for Brian Connolly was Mel McNulty of very early Iron Maiden , and later , Slade II , now known as "Slade" . And even THAT has'nt got Noddy out of his easy chair to take back what's his. Oh , well. It's his affair , he does'nt have to prove he sounds like Bikini Atoll.

They came back a couple of times , sand Mick Tucker. Bet your ass I went to all three shows . We don't get this stuff handed down to us on a platter. Slade's last US tour , in '83 , was cancelled due to medical issues.  Our own Suzi Quatro (S'cuse me , I mean , wor Suzi...) has'nt toured the states , to my knowledge , since 1979 (I could have seen her , then , at an all ages festival , but I only knew her thru "Happy Days" , and thought it was OK at the time.) ..... Then , a pre - scandal Gary Glitter sang a total of two songs in the whole of his U.S. performing career , when the World Cup was held in Chicago. It was a $40 ticket , and an otherwise abhorral bill (Yes , James , Scorpions , Fleetwood Mac with only Mick and John , and probably not even Billy Burnette....ugh.). I knew , I sensed it , they'd only give him two songs. I was right. I also learned , later , that they were letting people in free , because no one bought advance tickets. I STILL don't know where the Hell the venue is , though.

So , yeah , I saw Andy Scott's Sweet three times. D'jer wanna make something of it ?

BRIAN WAS UP FOR HIS OLD JOB, WHEN THE SWEET WERE DISCUSSING A REUNION , BUT , his drinking HAD LEFT HIM , SADLY , A WRECK . Reportedly , he'd cleaned up by then , but an English guy told me , when he was living , Brian was lovingly called "Shakes". tHERE'S A DOCUMENTARY on Brian , now on You Tube , made about a year before he died. You will not find it easy to get thru.
       dave said:

Ha, Slade, alright, ya sold me, I'll be looking up their stuff! Hey, I do like the Sweet now, tho' it took years. You might think about putting those 2 cassettes on youtube, sound screamin' (and no Meteors, thank Christ! Ugh, psycho-billy, non, just gimme Cramps)

John Battles said:

There's so many.....But , since I was just talking about 'em-

Lithium Xmas "Aneurysm" (Cassette only. Some of the same material turned up on a CD , "Bad Karma" (?) , years later. ). Total mindfuck Hard Psych. Covers of Beefheart , Ultimate Spinach , Alice Cooper Group , Nilsson , Red Krayola , Lemon Pipers , George Harrison and the cast of "Godspell". No mere Psych Replacements , they made every song their own , with room for songs of their own.....But , what they could do with "The Iron Butterfly Theme" , now that , you should hear (It appears on "Helldorado" , a collection of then - new originals and covers from the early days.).

Washington Dead Cats (Same?)  Also cassette only. French Psych/Psycho/Horror Rock , with Pere Ubu embellishments. They're still around . These hommes did not suck The Meteors' tit. They were into something different , altogether.

David Bowie "The Man Who Sold The World" - Maybe not underrated , so much as overlooked , it has the unfortunate disctinction of preceding "Ziggy Stardust", and , largely , only remembered , today , because Nirvana covered the title track. T. Tex Edwards' version of "Black Country Rock" is so much better , it's not funny. This album reeks of nihilism and paranoia . and it's as heavy , or moreso , as the first two Sabs' records.Marc Bolan's on it , too !

Slade on Stage  - I know it's quite likely no one will back me on this , but , of their three official live LPs , I've always thought this one was hands down , no contest , the best.

It's 1982 ,the band is just getting on their feet again . Two years prior to their one good - sized American hit , and more than 5 years since a real chart single in The UK (Barring Re- appearances of "Merry Christmas , Everybody.") , the band had just recently set Reading ABLAZE with a surprise appearance , and they were'nt looking back.

Faster than a speeding Punk record , Heavier than The New Wave of British Heavy Metal , capable of turning England over to The Geordies with one detonation of the atom bomb blast that is Noddy Holder...... LOOK ! UP ON STAGE !!! fuck me , IT's SLAAAAAAAAAAADE !!!!!!

• December 22, 2011 4:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

One of my personal favorites is Easy Action.  I have never heard anyone who is not me bring them up.

• December 22, 2011 4:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Blue Dirge is a GREAT album!  I have spent many many hours with it.

• December 22, 2011 4:21 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I love The Spears... I used to go see them when I lived in St Pete... I had a 7" until my ex wife threw out my entire record collection... Great fucking band! Miss seeing them & I miss the Emerald Bar.

Dave said:

I may be a bit biased on this one. Full disclosure, my label released this..

Anyway it's a band called The Spears, has the singer from Pink Lincolns, bass player Hated Youth, Down By Law guitarist, and the drummer from Black Flag.

We put it out about a year before the band "OFF" came out. It's strikingly similar. We spent a ton of money promoting this thing, and it got about 30 rave reviews, but for some reason it never caught on.

I was trying to find a download link somewhere. Amazingly, seems like all the illegal download links are broken

Here is one track though

http://www.jailhouserecords.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/05-...

If anyone can find a mediafire link or anything, feel free to post it.

• December 22, 2011 3:33 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ha, Slade, alright, ya sold me, I'll be looking up their stuff! Hey, I do like the Sweet now, tho' it took years. You might think about putting those 2 cassettes on youtube, sound screamin' (and no Meteors, thank Christ! Ugh, psycho-billy, non, just gimme Cramps)

John Battles said:

Lithium Xmas "Aneurysm" (Cassette only. Some of the same material turned up on a CD , "Bad Karma" (?) , years later. ). Total mindfuck Hard Psych. Covers of Beefheart , Ultimate Spinach , Alice Cooper Group , Nilsson , Red Krayola , Lemon Pipers , George Harrison and the cast of "Godspell". No mere Psych Replacements , they made every song their own , with room for songs of their own.....But , what they could do with "The Iron Butterfly Theme" , now that , you should hear (It appears on "Helldorado" , a collection of then - new originals and covers from the early days.).

Washington Dead Cats (Same?)  Also cassette only. French Psych/Psycho/Horror Rock , with Pere Ubu embellishments. They're still around . These hommes did not suck The Meteors' tit. They were into something different , altogether.

David Bowie "The Man Who Sold The World" - Maybe not underrated , so much as overlooked , it has the unfortunate disctinction of preceding "Ziggy Stardust", and , largely , only remembered , today , because Nirvana covered the title track. T. Tex Edwards' version of "Black Country Rock" is so much better , it's not funny. This album reeks of nihilism and paranoia . and it's as heavy , or moreso , as the first two Sabs' records.Marc Bolan's on it , too !

Slade on Stage  - I know it's quite likely no one will back me on this , but , of their three official live LPs , I've always thought this one was hands down , no contest , the best.

It's 1982 ,the band is just getting on their feet again . Two years prior to their one good - sized American hit , and more than 5 years since a real chart single in The UK (Barring Re- appearances of "Merry Christmas , Everybody.") , the band had just recently set Reading ABLAZE with a surprise appearance , and they were'nt looking back.

Faster than a speeding Punk record , Heavier than The New Wave of British Heavy Metal , capable of turning England over to The Geordies with one detonation of the atom bomb blast that is Noddy Holder...... LOOK ! UP ON STAGE !!! fuck me , IT's SLAAAAAAAAAAADE !!!!!!

• December 22, 2011 12:28 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Every single Billy Childish album.

• December 21, 2011 11:02 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 21, 2011 2:55 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Alright, now we've got some more replies, here's another from me, it's a 10" by Pink Slip Daddy - LSD - 1988. This is collecter-scum heaven, check it out: 10", sleeve done up like the Stones' Beggar's Banquet, w/ gatefold, clear pink vinyl, the A-side (LSD) plays at 45 from the inside out, and the B-side plays at 33, but is double-tracked (Nervous Breakdown/Stoned)!! Sounds muy Cramps-y. Wild!

• December 21, 2011 4:15 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I may be a bit biased on this one. Full disclosure, my label released this..

Anyway it's a band called The Spears, has the singer from Pink Lincolns, bass player Hated Youth, Down By Law guitarist, and the drummer from Black Flag.

We put it out about a year before the band "OFF" came out. It's strikingly similar. We spent a ton of money promoting this thing, and it got about 30 rave reviews, but for some reason it never caught on.

I was trying to find a download link somewhere. Amazingly, seems like all the illegal download links are broken

Here is one track though

http://www.jailhouserecords.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/05-Becky.mp3

If anyone can find a mediafire link or anything, feel free to post it.

• December 21, 2011 3:42 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Beguiled, yeah!

Now that's a great album if one was ever made. Also kind of like a christmas album for me, makes me feel merry everytime I spin it.

I'd say:

The Cosmis Psychos - Self Totalled (a late album by them, but hell is it fun! If that's not reason enough to dig it, then what is?).

The Pleasure Fuckers - For your pleasure (one of their last, but every track is Killer, an overlooked masterpiece if ya ask me. Although Kike sure has place in RNR history).

The High Beams - Hallucination (not overlooked in some circles, but this is one of my favourite disks EVER!)

Here for the stir

• December 20, 2011 3:08 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cool:)  Glad you like them.

dave said:

Yeah, listening to 'em now, pretty good stuff, kinda that space between Blondie and the Muffs.

MikeL said:

How about "More Seduction" by Manda and the Marbles?  Yes, I know some of you are sick and tired of me harping on Manda and the Marbles, but that's my choice for an overlooked gem.  Super catchy pop tunes crafted with a mix of new wave and power pop, with just a hint of bubblegum.  I'm still surprised this band never went on to bigger and better things.

• December 20, 2011 3:06 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm also nominating Steel Wool's Lucky Boy as a lost gem. This Seattle band is punk, but they put their own stamp on their sound. Between tracks is dialogue and sounds they collected on tour. Includes a lung-searing cover of CCR's Pagan Baby, I don't remember any clunkers on it, actually. Around the same time they released a killer 45 "Devil's Night"/"Krypto70s" w/ a beautiful silk-screened cover and a lock-groove at the end of the A-side. Hit those crates, kids!

• December 20, 2011 3:00 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, listening to 'em now, pretty good stuff, kinda that space between Blondie and the Muffs.

MikeL said:

How about "More Seduction" by Manda and the Marbles?  Yes, I know some of you are sick and tired of me harping on Manda and the Marbles, but that's my choice for an overlooked gem.  Super catchy pop tunes crafted with a mix of new wave and power pop, with just a hint of bubblegum.  I'm still surprised this band never went on to bigger and better things.

• December 20, 2011 2:22 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 20, 2011 12:51 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey, thanks for da post, I saw these guys in Austin just before Blue Dirge came out, and their show was 1 of the high points of the year (the Drags played at the same venue, the Electric Lounge, and also tore it up.).

Whoa, podcast by Steve, huh? Been looking fer 'The Nightrider's Theme' on Youtube, man, you know I'll check that out! I'll search for that 1st LP,

Gringo Starr said:

You really nailed this one. The Beguiled are one of the most overlooked and under rated bands. If Blue Dirge sent you for a loop, their first album on Dionysus, "Gone Away" is an absolute classic and unbelievably overlooked. These guys were good friends of mine and I saw them play often in O.C. and Los Angeles in the '80s. Steve Pallow, who played bass with the band is a podcaster here on Garage Punk Pirate Radio (Uncle Ya Ya) and is currently ripping up the stage with his new act Haunted George! 

http://www.discogs.com/Beguiled-Gone-Away/release/2393749

(RIP Mike Ball - the guitarist for The Beguiled - killed by a drunk driver in 1995)

• December 20, 2011 6:58 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You really nailed this one. The Beguiled are one of the most overlooked and under rated bands. If Blue Dirge sent you for a loop, their first album on Dionysus, "Gone Away" is an absolute classic and unbelievably overlooked. These guys were good friends of mine and I saw them play often in O.C. and Los Angeles in the '80s. Steve Pallow, who played bass with the band is a podcaster here on Garage Punk Pirate Radio (Uncle Ya Ya) and is currently ripping up the stage with his new act Haunted George! 

http://www.discogs.com/Beguiled-Gone-Away/release/2393749

(RIP Mike Ball - the guitarist for The Beguiled - killed by a drunk driver in 1995)

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel