Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Bands of Billy Childish

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 17, 2011 9:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

How many are there? Can you name em all? Which ones your favorites including songs?

I dont know many but of course Thee Headcoats, The Milkshakes and... im drawing a blank

• December 30, 2011 11:55 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

One of my fav songs is Wily Coyote by thee Mighty Caesars.

• December 29, 2011 6:46 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I knew the bit about Armitage Shanks because I'd seen a cartoon in Viz that said 'You can't miss with Armitage Shanks!". Would'nt have known they were a top - line BOG , however.

John Battles said:

I can't believe anyone would have thought Thee Stash was actually the then - defunct CLASH in diguise. Of course , in the states , we did'nt understand the significance of "We're Selling Jeans For The U.S.A." - the ad w/"Should I Should I Stay or Should I Go"did'nt run , here. The Blitzkrieg (Bop) of Punk (and related) songs in commercials and at the grocery stores had'nt happened , yet. I did hear the Buzzcocks in a commercial before The Ramones , tho'.....This is one of the only Childish records I held on to.

there are really all sorts (I have a wide range of 45's but my filing is a bit trashed at the moment to have a good trawl and give you somke other names )  ...anyway ...heres one of my all time faves ... Thee Stash -

the great thing about this particular 45 is that if you DJ it - most "I wanna hear a hit" fuelled herberts still think that it is the Clash   [ ha ha ]  ...well it's all they ever get if any of 'em ever ask me to play the Clash anyhow ... ; )   get boppin'

the UK site Damaged Goods is a top-fab repository for all things 'Childish' - they sometimes re-release olde stuff - nice bunch of peeps ... and helpful too

this is also a related 45 from the Headcoatees - enjoy  [ the headcoatees is a female ensemble consisting of a range fine young ladies associated with the headcoates ]

here below is ' armitage shanks '  [ for those not in the know - armitage shanks is a very well known make of top-quality gentlemens vitrified china urinals as often found in public lavatories ... as i understand it - armitage shanks consists primarily of  Headcoates / mighty caesars etc... roadies - although obviously don't quote me on that as my info here may be incorrect  ]

have fun searching around

• December 29, 2011 6:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I can't believe anyone would have thought Thee Stash was actually the then - defunct CLASH in diguise. Of course , in the states , we did'nt understand the significance of "We're Selling Jeans For The U.S.A." - the ad w/"Should I Should I Stay or Should I Go"did'nt run , here. The Blitzkrieg (Bop) of Punk (and related) songs in commercials and at the grocery stores had'nt happened , yet. I did hear the Buzzcocks in a commercial before The Ramones , tho'.....This is one of the only Childish records I held on to.

there are really all sorts (I have a wide range of 45's but my filing is a bit trashed at the moment to have a good trawl and give you somke other names )  ...anyway ...heres one of my all time faves ... Thee Stash -

the great thing about this particular 45 is that if you DJ it - most "I wanna hear a hit" fuelled herberts still think that it is the Clash   [ ha ha ]  ...well it's all they ever get if any of 'em ever ask me to play the Clash anyhow ... ; )   get boppin'

the UK site Damaged Goods is a top-fab repository for all things 'Childish' - they sometimes re-release olde stuff - nice bunch of peeps ... and helpful too

this is also a related 45 from the Headcoatees - enjoy  [ the headcoatees is a female ensemble consisting of a range fine young ladies associated with the headcoates ]

here below is ' armitage shanks '  [ for those not in the know - armitage shanks is a very well known make of top-quality gentlemens vitrified china urinals as often found in public lavatories ... as i understand it - armitage shanks consists primarily of  Headcoates / mighty caesars etc... roadies - although obviously don't quote me on that as my info here may be incorrect  ]

have fun searching around

• December 29, 2011 3:57 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Love The Spartan Dreggs at the moment, really enjoyed the 45 club membership but was sad when it ended :)

• December 28, 2011 10:36 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 28, 2011 10:30 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 28, 2011 10:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I can't think of any that haven't been mentioned.  I'm kind of partial to the solo folk stuff. (crimes against music) & thee mighty caesers

• December 28, 2011 2:11 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

but oh what listening!!! =)

• December 27, 2011 4:34 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wow looks like i have some listening to do thanks guys

• December 27, 2011 1:37 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't know about bands but by all accounts he's released over 100 albums.

• December 26, 2011 2:25 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thee Mighty Caesars are a personal fave.

• December 26, 2011 2:20 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

They are all pretty great!  I wish the MBEs would have lasted a bit longer.  Though the Spartan Dreggs seem pretty cool as well.  Also there were the Blackhands..

• December 26, 2011 2:11 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I liked Thee Headcoat Sect , if only because Keith Grant and Don Crane were in it.

• December 18, 2011 7:41 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Milkshakes...my intro to that whole scene!

• December 17, 2011 11:35 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thee Headcoats! The best of 'em all, IMHO. And let's not forget The Del Monas & Thee Headcoatees. His last band was the Vermin Poets, but I've never heard any of their stuff.

By the way, I highly recommend the 2005 documentary, Billy Childish Is Dead. Great film.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• December 17, 2011 9:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thee Mighty Caesars, The Buff Medways, Pop Rivets, Musicians of the British Empire, countless self named bands (Wild Billy Childish, Billy Childish and the... etc)

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel