Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Danelectro Dano 63 Long Scale Bass

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 15, 2011 11:18 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm looking for feedback on this Danelectro bass. Has anyone in the group here had the opportunity to use this model. How does it compare to other basses? What did you like/dislike about this model?

I currently own a Thunderbird and a Fender vintage modified. 

Thanks in advance! 

• December 25, 2011 7:40 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have played a long scale Danno for a couple of years in a garage style band and besides the buzzing from the single coil pickups, it plays and feels great.

I also play a Mosrite Ventures model, an Epiphone Jack Cassidy semi=hollow body and find no quality issues between the three.  As for strings, I use RotoSound long scale Jazz Bass  and have no problems with the tuning keys.

I say get it and it will be a nice addition to your other two.

• December 20, 2011 12:46 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John,

Thanks for the feedback. You've enlightened me in regards to the difference in strings!

John Carlucci said:

I have found that the re-issue Dan Electros are okay soundwise, but the feel of the neck, most notably, the fret dressing is sub-par. The smaller tuning pegs can also present a problem when trying to find replacement strings. You will need tapered strings that are thin enough to go through the smaller peg holes. I have a Jerry Jones Longhorn bass, which is like a Dano, but much better, and I use D'addario XL170S strings. Those are tapered enough to fit through the tiny peg holes...but a Long Scale bass will need different strings. So keep that in mind. When Dano re-issues first appeared in the 90's, they also had a line of strings for every instrument they made. I don't see those any more.

• December 18, 2011 11:39 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have found that the re-issue Dan Electros are okay soundwise, but the feel of the neck, most notably, the fret dressing is sub-par. The smaller tuning pegs can also present a problem when trying to find replacement strings. You will need tapered strings that are thin enough to go through the smaller peg holes. I have a Jerry Jones Longhorn bass, which is like a Dano, but much better, and I use D'addario XL170S strings. Those are tapered enough to fit through the tiny peg holes...but a Long Scale bass will need different strings. So keep that in mind. When Dano re-issues first appeared in the 90's, they also had a line of strings for every instrument they made. I don't see those any more.

• December 15, 2011 6:14 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks KK Dirty Money!

Someone in my area's selling one, which is why I ask. I don't necessarily need the bass, but I thought it might work tone-wise with some surf tunes I play with a buddy. Or at the very least, it would look cool. 

• December 15, 2011 11:31 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I owned a brand new short scale version of this guitar. It was great, but it is unlike your typical bass guitar and will be quite different from the two you already use. With that being said, it might be cool to have three different types of basses with a variety of tones, feel, weight, etc.

This guitar is great for the cash, and cool looking if you like the style. It is light weight and has a unique tone. The tuning pegs are not heavier/larger ones like on most basses, for some unknown reason. So, that is pretty much the only thing I can complain about. 

You can get these new for pretty cheap, and could probably find a used model at a steal.

Plus, the cool thing about Danelectro guitars are they are generally considered "collectible" and hold their value better than a lot of other guitars (that aren't Fenders or Gibsons).

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel