Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: favorite guitar tone

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 11, 2011 5:54 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I saw this discussion get closed on pschotic reaction, so, here it is again.

what do consider a great guitar tone and how could you achieve it

ie you really got me/all day and all of the night: did some research and it appears its a harmony meteor through an eplico amp (either 8 or 20 watts) with "a single slach from the bottom to the center of the speaker so it was all torn up but still attatched" (acording to dave davies) you could recreate this with a harmony or similar hollowbody through the vox ac4 with either a slashed speaker or a torn bag streatched over the speaker.

• August 6, 2012 12:01 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've found nothing beats a Fender Twin with shitloads of verb, a strat set to the bridge pick up & a nasty ratty splattery 60's fuzz..roll of the volume maybe just a tad on the guitars volume knob..heaven.

• March 12, 2012 1:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I also really like early (early Jam era) paul weller, any one got any tips for it on a low budget?

• February 14, 2012 1:40 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

any one got any advice on a psychotic reaction type lead tone on a tight (very tight) budget

• January 4, 2012 8:42 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If you mean Fuzztones, the band, well they play those funny Vox guitars with 3 humbuckers and a whammy bar; a Telecaster is quite different, it has a lot of attack and bright tones, few 'middles' and very few sustain, yet you can try...

• January 3, 2012 1:56 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

would you recommend the mex tele fotr a sort of fuzztones type tone?

BARON S:A:D said:

Mexican Fender Telecaster into Boss CS3, then into a Morley ABY splitting the signal into two different amps: Peavey Classic 30 combo, single cone and a vintage Sound City tube head and cabinet. Sometimes I add an Electro Harmonix Big Muff on one channel; for fun.

• January 3, 2012 12:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Mexican Fender Telecaster into Boss CS3, then into a Morley ABY splitting the signal into two different amps: Peavey Classic 30 combo, single cone and a vintage Sound City tube head and cabinet. Sometimes I add an Electro Harmonix Big Muff on one channel; for fun.

• December 15, 2011 9:06 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This is a huge topic, as there are countless ways to get cool tone (and countless ways to get bad tone). I have a small collection of great tube amps, pedals, and even some modeling stuff that all sounds pretty damn good, so I could ramble on about this topic from various standpoints. 

Now, I know we all probably agree that if we can afford a good tube amp, then we've gotten to a great place as far as getting good tone goes. So, one of the coolest discoveries I've come up with is using an Electro Harmonix Black Finger tube compressor pedal on your tube amp for garage crunch.

A friend of mine was selling one really cheap, so I figured I'd buy it to try out and then flip it shortly afterwards to make a few extra bucks. But, once I started using it I fell in love with it. When using a tube compressor pedal with a tube amp, it not only compresses and gives you a fat tone, but it also gives you a naturally over-driven tube tone without actually using an overdrive pedal or switching to the drive channel on the amp. Very simple, very effective.

What I'm trying to say is: you could have a tube amp on the clean channel, put the tube compressor on it, and you'll get a nice and punchy/solid tube overdrive that isn't too static-y or distorted and it really sounds good for garage style tone. 

Try it out and let me know what you think.

• December 15, 2011 5:42 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Chuck Berry's guitar sound in the whole After School Sessions album is just MAGIC

• December 14, 2011 3:11 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

upload your tones to the tone room and tell us your username

amoebaboy said:

cool ! yes it is a vt+ il go and have look around.

dying slowly said:

is it a vt+? caus thats what ive got if it is go on the vox website click toneroom an search garage rock click the name decay666 and go throse those tones their mine

amoebaboy said:

there is no way i could afford an ac 30, so i went out and bought a vox  valvetronix , the real thing it aint, but it still sounds friggin awesome.

its the cheap alternative, for folks like me who hardly have a pot to piss in.

loads of classic amp models to choose from with a selection of useable fx on board.

seriously, go and try one, our guitarist has a cool  orange tube amp, even he was impressed by it

• December 12, 2011 2:28 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

cool ! yes it is a vt+ il go and have look around.

dying slowly said:

is it a vt+? caus thats what ive got if it is go on the vox website click toneroom an search garage rock click the name decay666 and go throse those tones their mine

amoebaboy said:

there is no way i could afford an ac 30, so i went out and bought a vox  valvetronix , the real thing it aint, but it still sounds friggin awesome.

loads of classic amp models to choose from with a selection of useable fx on board.

seriously, go and try one, our guitarist has a cool  orange tube amp, even he was impressed by it

• December 12, 2011 12:44 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

amoebaboy said:

• December 11, 2011 3:54 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 11, 2011 9:25 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yardbirds era Jeff Beck is optimal.  The gear is locatable but they only made two of his hands.

• December 11, 2011 9:22 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The elusive search for "tone". This is such a subjective topic. I'm proud to say that regardless of what kind of night I've had on stage, for someone to come up after a show and say "man, I love your tone"...to me that's the best compliment I can get all night!

Depending on my mood, I run my rig two different ways. 

1. Reverend Club King w/ P90s through a modded Boss Super Overdrive into my Vox AC30 (Celestion Greenbacks)

2. Reverend Club King w/ TV Jones pickups through a Keely modded TS9 into a Peavy Classic 50 with 4x10" speakers. 

I use TAD (Tube Amp Doctor) EL84s in both my rigs. On the preamp side, it's such a hodge podge, I've no idea what's in there anymore...but I know I like it. 

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel