Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Pete Townshend's John Peel lecture....

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 2, 2011 8:54 AM CDT
    • Untitled

I think this attitude that music can be compared to something like food is wrong. I believe that artists should be paid, but this focus always on pop music is out of date. I mean supporting emerging artists is important but is EMI really the best company to do that? I think smaller labels are the future and 'stealing' tracks from a multinational with teams of lawyers to make sure both the artist and the customer don't step out of line is about as morally dubious as stealling cigaretts from Malbro.

What Townshend is complaining about creativity not being valued anymore is rubbish. We are just getting closer to the real price. Why should a rock star be worth millions for being creative? Would Townshend have been any less creative if he got paid a third of what he earnt? It's the same bullshit you see in sport with footballers getting paid millions to do something the enjoy.

With the disintegration of major record labels we can at least be certain that in 30 years time we wont have as many rusty old millionairs whinging about not being paid enough. Good music doesn't need loads of cash to be made and thankfully today it doesn't need loads to be distributed.

• November 1, 2011 8:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What they didn,t mention was that the BBC will slash 280 jobs at 40 stations, and they had a debate on the (death of local radio).

I Was there in spirit, and I met Mr Lowry. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Digital switchover 2015.

Copyright laws being fixed to coincide.

Whatever happened to advances from record companies.Seen it done and seen it blown!

Peel was great>

itunes----------Dont use it.

Too many gadgets.

CDs killed the music industry.(indestructable)

This message will self destruct in 5 seconds?/??????????????

• November 1, 2011 3:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

But I digress.....I think iTunes was the topic.   Very sorry.  Continue on.
    • November 1, 2011 3:34 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well, in Pete's defense you don't stop doing something you love just because you pass the retirement age. What the hell is 66 anymore?   Much of his performing generates a lot of money for charitible causes.  Case in point: 

31st October, 2011
      The Who launch Daltrey/Townshend Teen and Young Adult Cancer Program at UCLA

Rock legends Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend of the Who say they owe much of their musical success to teenagers. In a heartfelt repayment, the two will announce the launch of the UCLA Daltrey/Townshend Teen & Young Adult Cancer Program, which will serve teens and young adult cancer patients at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center.

The new program — the first of its kind in the United States — will build on the previous successful efforts of the Teenage Cancer Trust, which has helped fund 19 special teen cancer units in the United Kingdom.

Rock icon Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin, who has been closely involved with the program in the U.K., will also attend the news conference to lend his support.

The rockers will all sign a guitar during the press conference that will be hung on the wall in the new UCLA cancer unit. For more information, CLICK HERE

• November 1, 2011 11:15 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I only use it for podcasts and have never purchased one penny's worth of music from it.  For podcasts I regard it as excellent and truly have never explored the full potential of iTunes so I don't feel 100% qualified to bag on it.  That said, it has become the establishment of the music industry.  Because of the technological ease of use it has become the gorilla at the top of the heap as far as distribution is concerned.  Instead of peels, toss down a few banan-ers there gorilla-man!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel