Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Regional Forums Continental U.S.
  • Topic: Any Detroit Gigs Nov 25-27?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 1, 2011 12:19 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My band is going to be in Detroit Nov 25-27th to record at Ghetto and we'll be wrapping up early enough to hit some shows. Any gigs on the Friday or Saturday night?
    • November 3, 2011 9:17 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, I totally agree. Painted Lady is a cool dive bar, but the sound/stage is hardly optimal. I would have to say they win the prize for nastiest/grossest men's room in Detroit venues.

Donovan's Pub in Mexican Town is an unassuming little no-frills Irish bar (frequented by the local Mexicans, ironically) that has some cool pop-up shows with some of the cooler Detroit garage-sters. It might be worth seeing if they have a show that weekend.

The Blue Squares said:

The painted lady is still operating as far as I know, and that's another place to consider, but a lot of bands don't like their awkward stage.  It's a little cramped and oriented in strange way. It's a cool place though.  Hamtramck is a great place to see good lesser known acts at smaller venues.  There are lots of bars/venues concentrated in a relatively small area.  My list is not exhaustive by any means.  I just wanted to give you some decent options (based on my experience) of places that might be feasible to get into on short notice.  note:  the magic stick might not be that easy, but it's one of detroit's best venues for this type of music.
    • November 3, 2011 8:32 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The painted lady is still operating as far as I know, and that's another place to consider, but a lot of bands don't like their awkward stage.  It's a little cramped and oriented in strange way. It's a cool place though.  Hamtramck is a great place to see good lesser known acts at smaller venues.  There are lots of bars/venues concentrated in a relatively small area.  My list is not exhaustive by any means.  I just wanted to give you some decent options (based on my experience) of places that might be feasible to get into on short notice.  note:  the magic stick might not be that easy, but it's one of detroit's best venues for this type of music.
    • November 2, 2011 2:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Very cool. Detroit is a wondrous and strange place.

What is your band?

I wish I had some info to give you, but it looks like The Blue Squares have given you as much info as I could offer. 

Is the Painted Lady still open? That place, although a complete dive, is pretty cool.

I am sure Jim Diamond (Ghetto owner) can point you in the direction of some good stuff.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel